C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Four years, Three C7's, two buybacks, goodbye Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:51 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Four years, Three C7's, two buybacks, goodbye Corvette

I just wanted to say that it has been pleasure being part of the Corvette family. I got to know some cool people from the forum, build new friendships, and have blast at the track for as long it lasted.
My first C7's was a 2015 A8 Z51. Unfortunately I couldn't run it at the track for more than 3 laps before overheating the transmission. I have upgraded the transmission cooling and got to enjoy it for a year before selling it. It was a blast.

My second corvette was a 2016 C7 Z06. The car was built one day before Christmas shutdown. No one knows how it passed QC. Doors would not close unless you slam them hard. Panels were off. The roof was leaking. I accepted the car thinking the dealer can make adjustments and align things but not even GM engineer was able to fix it so GM took it back and ordered me a 2017 Z07.

The 2017 Z07 was a beauty. Everything aligned properly. Cosmetic was excellent. Iloved the car. Five weeks later, I was driving on the freeway and saw that I was getting low on gas. I switched to ECO mode. One lifter jammed, lost a push rod, shaved the cam..... GM got me a new engine and a month later I had my car back like nothing happened. From there the car was never the same, several reduced engine incidents, MAP sensor, knock sensor, P0106, software upgrade, I always thought this will be behind me soon and had Gspeed cooling kit installed as well as DSC controller but never got there.

At one event my car locked up on me at a slow turn after hitting 135 mph at the banking. Later we found that my clutch and bell housing assembly were completely destroyed. GM and the dealership investigated the issue and found a long GM bolt in the bell housing that didn't belong to my car. No one knows if it was dropped by someone from when the car was built or if it happened during engine replacement which was 9 months prior. With heat and vibration it got loose and sled into the flywheel It took a month for repairs and on my next event the car threw a reduced power code. I dropped it off the dealer so they can initiate he buyback process and I appreciate that GM was prompt and professional in handling the situation. For that I will consider GM again down the road but not a C7. Maybe when GM limits corvette availability to dealers that have Corvette performance center and high caliber Corvette technicians. Not every dealer should sell corvette. Here in CA some dealers get one allocation every few months. Its better that GM give all allocations to one dealer that can support Corvette properly.

I have friends that are having great experience with C7's. I consider my situation as isolated and bad luck.

I know that GM fixed the car. Someone out there will get a good deal on a lemon Z07 that has Gspeed system and DSC controller hopefully they will have better luck than mine.

Last edited by 5thGear; 03-21-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:55 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Sorry to see you go - although with that record, can't say as I blame you.

Hopefully we'll see you back with a C8 mid-engine.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 04:09 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I hear you buddy and would do the same myself. Unfortunately if you are one of the > 1% of any car manufacturer with these consistent issues your out of favor with them. It happens to the most high end hand built cars down to the Honda civics, crazy how shitt happens. Sorry bud, good luck on your next vehicle 🙏

Last edited by Cercone; 03-21-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:19 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Sorry you had such a run of bad luck. There are a lot of dealerships out there that just can't handle repairs properly.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:24 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Well that's a tough one. The first time a Corvette drives away from you.
You will remember your folly. I am waiting for my new Audi to arrive and was in the area. So I stopped]in and they had one traded back in.
Ok how about a ride. The salesman and I pulled out once on the road he jammed the gas we went the 1/4 mile and took a corner at 45mph then back on the pedal took the next corner even harder and hit 80 mph by then we were back and parked it.

NOT THE RIDE I WANTED but the car would never touch either Corvette I own nor any Audi on the lot ( I doubt) would either. Corvette performance will be missed. Well maybe come back for a C8!
Old 03-21-2018, 04:42 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,481 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Sorry to see you go - although with that record, can't say as I blame you.

Hopefully we'll see you back with a C8 mid-engine.
What a string of bad luck. It seems you were snake-bit regarding the C7.

Hopefully we see you back in a C8.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:47 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Damn dude, I had no idea you were having that many problems with it! Good luck with whatever is next on the list!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Sorry for your troubles and to see you go. I hope you enjoy the new toy. I've been bending DSC's ear about making a controller for those cars as well. Tractive already makes shocks for them
Old 03-21-2018, 06:58 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

Sometimes, it’s the dealer. Leson Chevy did an oil change at 480mi on a then new 2016 z and did not pull both drain plugs...overfilled and bent a connecting rod. Same dealer 1 year later (last week), another 2016 z goes there for a flat tire repair. Service employee backs into the car, damaging front bumper cover. After explaining that they will remove the cover to repair and replace, the car was left for 2 days. When it was picked up, it was/is covered with overspray. My buddy just an estimate today for 2500.00 for paint correction.

Buy from a high volume dealer, and plan a road trip if you have issues. Personally, no service dept has seen any vehicle of mine in 19 years, (11 vehicles during that time). I buy knowing I’m on the hook for repairs, because I live in the armpit of the United States

John
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2018, 07:18 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Ali, Wow! You are such an asset to the forum, hopefully youll stick around some! If you ever make it to texas, track day on us!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:39 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Sorry for your troubles and to see you go. I hope you enjoy the new toy. I've been bending DSC's ear about making a controller for those cars as well. Tractive already makes shocks for them
I hope they listen to you Sean. I didn’t realize that BMW had such a large presense at the track and there are many BMW clubs that prompt tracks. There is a big BMW gathering in May at Auto Club Speed.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:46 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by fleming23
Damn dude, I had no idea you were having that many problems with it! Good luck with whatever is next on the list!
Thanks Eric.
Its just a bad luck combined with human errors. When I called you thinking it was an alternator problem, it turned out to be that long GM Bolt that trashed my bell housing. I just finished getting through the banking and was braking for the slowest turn when the car locked up on me. 5 seconds sooner and I would have hit the wall. Thank god for the good timing
Old 03-21-2018, 07:50 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by GSpeed
Ali, Wow! You are such an asset to the forum, hopefully youll stick around some! If you ever make it to texas, track day on us!
I sure hope to meet you guys one day. You are rock stars and your support with HG Motorsport in getting my car ready before the Porsche event was outstanding. Ran fastest lap in 5 out of 6 time attacks sessions in 30 minutes 100F weather. That was my best day with the Z06.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:54 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

thats rough man. knock on wood i had the opposite experience right now on my 2nd c7 and so far so good fingers crossed !
Old 03-21-2018, 08:04 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,104 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

You deserve better and I totally agree with you that not every dealer should be allowed to sell corvettes unless they have a specific trained Corvette technician. Its almost like finding a good doctor to go to. I travel an extra 1/2 hour to get my Corvette serviced from a great technician and always joke with him if he leaves the dealership I will follow him unless I need a plane to get there. Good luck in whichever car you get and post some pictures of your new ride.Dave
Old 03-21-2018, 08:25 PM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thGear

I hope they listen to you Sean. I didn’t realize that BMW had such a large presense at the track and there are many BMW clubs that prompt tracks. There is a big BMW gathering in May at Auto Club Speed.
What car are you going to?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:34 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Thank you Everyone.
Proper support for a 100k car is a must. The technician that worked on my car is a very experienced person and can get the job done. The problem, there is only one person of that caliber and he is stretched between corvette, trucks, suvs and Even 10k cars. That’s when mistakes happen and I was vocal to allow the tech to focus on my car but then another customer comes screaming because he needs a transmission rebuild on his Chevy Cruze and managers have to take the tech to another car. That’s why there is a need for a Corvette performance center with corvette only master technicians.

Get notified of new replies

To Four years, Three C7's, two buybacks, goodbye Corvette

Old 03-21-2018, 09:32 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cercone
I hear you buddy and would do the same myself. Unfortunately if you are one of the > 1% of any car manufacturer with these consistent issues your out of favor with them. It happens to the most high end hand built cars down to the Honda civics, crazy how shitt happens. Sorry bud, good luck on your next vehicle 🙏
True. I have seen it happen with Porsche Mercedes,....
I had to walk away from a car that I really love and hope will try a corvette again down the road. I would have to see a change first though in dealer support. Example, not every Nissan dealer can sell a GTR. They must have a GTR trained technician and all special tools needed for the car. I would like to see the same type of pride with Corvette someday.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by Harris
What car are you going to?
Picked up a new BMW M4 competition package. Although it doesn’t have the Z06 wow factor and sound, it seems to be solid. Guys I know said oil will not go pass 210F at the track. I like the power and DCT so far. It will not be Z06 fast but a I am sure it will be a fun car.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:19 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,104 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 03-21-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Four years, Three C7's, two buybacks, goodbye Corvette