C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why don't our tires turn on the rims?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 12:54 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Why don't our tires turn on the rims?

Is the bead really that tight that it can maintain the position long term? I'm surprised that dropping the clutch on a M7 car with drag radials (or even Cup2) on a prepped track and it hooks, that the tire doesn't turn on the wheel.

Or has anyone experienced rotation of the rubber after installing?

You could also experience it on the fronts from braking, in theory, though I've never seen that.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:18 PM
robbieroflcopter
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps they've taken this route?

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...camaroz28.html
The following users liked this post:
vettpapaw (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 04:06 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

It happens under heavy braking. I assume on the launch there just isn't enough traction.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:31 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I only run road cources so don't know about drag racing.

My Cup tires and slicks do complete 360 degree+ rotations after 5 - 6 on track sessions when not mounted using an old racers trick. I mark the valve stem position after coming off track to show doubters how much they move/rotate. Even with knurled wheels you get significant slippage when mounted as a regular street tire.

This is why it's a waste of money to balance track tires if you're a fast driver.

I have my slippage down to minimal to none by using the race car trick of using "heavy" duty hair spray as the mounting lubricant. Spray the bead to wet it when mounting and slippage "usually" solved. Don't scrimp on the spray but also don't overdo it.

FWIW, even using hair spray I don't have my track tires balanced as they pick up too much track rubber to make the balance effective for more than the first session...

Last edited by rikhek; 03-22-2018 at 04:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rikhek:
davepl (03-22-2018), Deity.Motorsports (03-22-2018), tommyc6z06 (12-21-2019)
Old 03-22-2018, 04:33 PM
0Deity.Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Anti tire slip knurling beads machined into the wheels! A must have for sticky tires and aggressive brakes. Some reported almost a full 360% slip with Hoosier on other wheels. Our wheels documented about only 2” after track testing at Buttonwillow, local race track in California.
Attachment 48353726
Old 03-22-2018, 04:37 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Is the bead really that tight that it can maintain the position long term? I'm surprised that dropping the clutch on a M7 car with drag radials (or even Cup2) on a prepped track and it hooks, that the tire doesn't turn on the wheel.

You could also experience it on the fronts from braking, in theory, though I've never seen that.
You can chalk the valve stem on each tire and see what happens. We used to do that all the time for airing down when we would play off road in our Jeeps.

Bead locks originated because of drag racing to stop this from happening.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:40 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Deity.Motorsports
Anti tire slip knurling beads machined into the wheels! A must have for sticky tires and aggressive brakes. Some reported almost a full 360% slip with Hoosier on other wheels. Our wheels documented about only 2” after track testing at Buttonwillow, local race track in California.
Does the knurl raise up from the original bead seat dimension or is the wheel machined to tolerance and the knurl is inset below the bead seat?
Old 03-22-2018, 04:43 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Deity.Motorsports
Khoa,

As you know the wheels I bought from you are knurled but I still get slippage of 360+ degrees. Problem is the paint over the knurling diminishes the friction capability of the knurling.

Best solution would be to knurl after they are painted. However, I know this won't happen as buyers would bitch that their new wheels don't have pretty painted beads. Another option is to sand/blast/grind the paint off the knurling but this is a pain in the *** and if you're not careful you can reduce/smooth the knurling.

As stated above using hair spray as the bead mounting lubricant typically solves the problem. I buy the cheapest "heavy" duty hair spray at Dollar General or Wal Mart and I'm usually good to go.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 03-22-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Deity.Motorsports (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 04:47 PM
0Deity.Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Khoa,

As you know the wheels I bought from you are knurled but I still get slippage of 360+ degrees. Problem is the paint over the knurling greatly diminishes the friction capability of the knurling.

Best solution would be to knurl after they are painted. However, I know this won't happen as buyers would bitch that their new wheels don't have pretty painted beads. Another option is to sand/blast/grind the paint off the knurling but this is a pain in the ***.

As stated above using hair spray as the bead mounting lubricant typically solves the problem. I buy the cheapest "heavy" duty hair spray at Dollar General or Wal Mart and I'm usually good to go.

Rick
True, maybe sand it back down after the powdercoating for very extreme conditions and drivers.

As cars get heavier and stickier tires, more slip will occur. It’s physic. I know GTR slips no matter what you do, according to customers.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:05 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Khoa,

As you know the wheels I bought from you are knurled but I still get slippage of 360+ degrees. Problem is the paint over the knurling diminishes the friction capability of the knurling.

Best solution would be to knurl after they are painted. However, I know this won't happen as buyers would bitch that their new wheels don't have pretty painted beads. Another option is to sand/blast/grind the paint off the knurling but this is a pain in the *** and if you're not careful you can reduce/smooth the knurling.

Rick

You can also try duct tape. Sounds stupid but it will increase the bead seat area and put more pressure on the tire.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:18 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Or they can mask off the knurling from the powder coat or clear coat, I make sure that is done on all my aftermarket wheels, it will stop wheel tire slippage, or you're wasting money because you won't get the best grip from your knurling if you don't
Old 03-22-2018, 06:06 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
Or they can mask off the knurling from the powder coat or clear coat, I make sure that is done on all my aftermarket wheels, it will stop wheel tire slippage, or you're wasting money because you won't get the best grip from your knurling if you don't
^^^^ yup
Old 03-22-2018, 07:55 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

16 screws

cvp33 (03-25-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 09:32 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Whether they slip an inch or 360 makes no difference, the balance will be off. I didn't think of grinding the powder coat off the knurling, I will definitely do that next time I change tires.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

I get it all the time with my track wheels. The fronts slip from braking and the rears slip from acceleration (accelerating from low 50s to 154) with no drag race starts. I have had the both front and rear tires slip 180 degrees or more.

Here are pictures I took two years ago while running at the Glen.

I believe once the rims and the tires get hot they just slip. And they do get very hot after a 10 minute or more run. I used to get slippage on my C5s and the C6Z as well.

Bill
Old 03-23-2018, 06:20 AM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Khoa,

Rick
I removed the paint from the bead area on two sets of Signature wheels and reduced slippage to almost nothing. One knurled set of 18's with Hoosiers and one set of 19/20 (no knurling) with Cup 2's. I ran the Hoosiers at VIR on Monday and had less than 1/4" slip on a couple of tires - front and rear and zero slip on one. No slip so far on the Cup 2's.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:43 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Moroso rim locks

for about $30. if you install rim locks on yours wheels your tires will never spin on your rims and bugger up your balance.even 400rwhp with a sticky tire will cause your tires to spin on the rim on street or track.383vett is correct

Get notified of new replies

To Why don't our tires turn on the rims?

Old 03-23-2018, 10:15 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mu$cle
I removed the paint from the bead area on two sets of Signature wheels and reduced slippage to almost nothing. One knurled set of 18's with Hoosiers and one set of 19/20 (no knurling) with Cup 2's. I ran the Hoosiers at VIR on Monday and had less than 1/4" slip on a couple of tires - front and rear and zero slip on one. No slip so far on the Cup 2's.
What process did you use to remove it?
Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Forgeline Support
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Default knurl

The Knurling only works if there is no paint or powdercoat on the knurled part. We do all of powder coating in house so we can control it. Another thing that we learned is that if your tire shop uses a soapy blue lubricant to put your race tires on, they may rotate no matter what..
KSA Aaron (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 12:17 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

So I assume the old drag racer bit of screwing the bead to the rim is not the hot ticket?

Quick Reply: Why don't our tires turn on the rims?