C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Insurance Claim Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:39 PM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Insurance Claim Questions

C7 Z06/Z07 Convertible, White with Red gut, auto, 3LZ, Stage 3 aero, optioned exactly the way that I wanted.

Car was hit hard from behind by a SUV going a high rate of speed. All of the trunk/rear area shattered and the rear suspension is pushed forward. Doors damaged (and will not close) as the passenger compartment area seems to be closed slightly by ~3/4". Front end of car was pushed into another car damaging R front fender and headlight, bumper, as well as the aero on that side of car. The only undamaged panel is the L front fender. Car was pushed forward about 120' from impact.

I was taken to the hospital with head lacerations and concussion, but will be fine.

I don't think there is any question whether the car will be totaled. I got the car last July and the car had 1011 miles (I live overseas most of the time).

Car had mods: 2"ARH and x-pipe, CAI, tune, Forgeline CF204s (3 of 4 damaged). Not to mention Ceramic Coat, plastic Clear Bra on the front, and extra floor mats.

Questions:
1) I really wanted this Z06 as I had exactly the C7Z07 that I wanted. I have been looking and there seems to be none out there in similar configuration. Will I have to order another to get exactly as my previous?

2) As the mods were specific to the car and I have all invoices, shouldn't they be covered?

3) I had extra stuff like the full build sheet and window stickers mounted from NCM. As these are specific to the car, shouldn't they be covered?

Any useful information is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Hrlyrdr22
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Cant answer your questions, however just want to say glad your ok!
The following users liked this post:
KSA Aaron (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:35 PM
"BoneStock"
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Will they be covered? No one can say yes or no besides your insurance company that is paying. Give them receipts on everything and fight to get them covered.
The following 2 users liked this post by "BoneStock":
KSA Aaron (03-23-2018), mcoomer (03-24-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:50 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

It all depends on if you had a separate rider on your policy for the mods.
KSA Aaron (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 02:16 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I have that same car except Z07. Someone somewhere has one I'm sure, but getting it exact might require an order if you're picky and/or impatient!
KSA Aaron (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 02:57 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

There are so many variables between insurance companies, it would be best to ask/notify your agent of the additional things that were damaged. Ordering is one way to ensure you get exactly what you want.
KSA Aaron (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:19 PM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Thanks for the kind responses. This accident was caused by another driver. It will be their insurance that I will have to pursue.

I do really like the vette combination that I had. The Forgeline CF204s (CF wheels) will be the highest cost mod when it comes time for reimbursement.

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I have that same car except Z07. Someone somewhere has one I'm sure, but getting it exact might require an order if you're picky and/or impatient!

Dave - You have a white / Red Convertible Z06 with Z07 option? I have never seen another optioned like mine. Lots of Z07 Vettes, just not white convertibles with Z07. I'm sure your vette is a beauty!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:34 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by KSA Aaron
Thanks for the kind responses. This accident was caused by another driver. It will be their insurance that I will have to pursue.

:
You'll be working with an attorney for the pain and suffering part of the claim. Have him add on the above items onto the car claim. Those will be negligible compared to your medical award. Glad you're ok.
KSA Aaron (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 01:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

As far as vehicle damage your insurance company will sit on the side and the other guy's insurance will cover the damage. If the other guy doesn't have sufficient coverage then your uninsured/under insured option will cover up to the limit of your option what ever is above the limit of the other guy's policy. If you have problems your insurance company should work with you in recovering damages from the other insurance company. As for what you settle for that is between you and the other guy's insurance company.

If you are in a No Fault State like NY your medical would have been covered by your insurance up to the limit of your policy. That makes pain and suffering claims pretty hard to bring up in court.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-24-2018 at 01:15 AM.
KSA Aaron (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 01:47 AM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

That is the time when you wish you both have the same insurance company. My wife got hit from behind, the other driver had USAA also. Called them and they sent an adjuster out that said here is our recommended shop, get whatever needs to be done.

Last edited by m3incorp; 03-24-2018 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Grammar
KSA Aaron (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 06:03 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
As far as vehicle damage your insurance company will sit on the side and the other guy's insurance will cover the damage. If the other guy doesn't have sufficient coverage then your uninsured/under insured option will cover up to the limit of your option what ever is above the limit of the other guy's policy. If you have problems your insurance company should work with you in recovering damages from the other insurance company. As for what you settle for that is between you and the other guy's insurance company.

If you are in a No Fault State like NY your medical would have been covered by your insurance up to the limit of your policy. That makes pain and suffering claims pretty hard to bring up in court.
Bill

I have no insurance in the US. I live overseas and was in the US on business and had taken one day to travel and see my boys. All of the medical will be sent to me for coverage.

Originally Posted by m3incorp
That is the time when you wish you both have the same insurance company. My wife got hit from behind, the other driver had USAA also. Called them and they sent an adjuster out that said here is our recommended shop, get whatever needs to be done.

There is a lot of truth in this statement. It would be so much easier. On a positive side, we both have major insurance companies. Additionally he was an older gentleman and his wife, so I remain hopeful that his limits of liability are higher than the state minimums.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:09 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

One additional point is that the car was flat bed delivered to my son's garage, as he knew I would not want it sitting out in the weather. Neither door closes and the convertible and trunk are no longer secure. It is better for it to be in an enclosed garage vs being out in the weather. It is now "bleeding out" in his garage. There are fluids leaking across the floor; appears to be lots of trans fluid, not sure if the other fluid is differential fluid.

I'm not sure if this will slow the process as the insurance companies know it is not incurring daily storage charges....

This will be a difficult process going forward as I will be healing from the injuries and settling the claim from overseas. Tough deal as I am 8K miles away.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:41 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

When I was rear ended in my truck. My insurance company fought me on my mods/add ons like lift kit, wheels, stereo, running boards that weren't listed on my policy. They do the original pay out then go after the other insurance company. I explained I would wait for them to charge those items to the other insurance company ( the one who is supposed to pay) who had no control over what Mods were covered or not. I lost them all so they needed to reimburse me. It took about 30 extra days but I got close to 6k more.

Sometimes these insurance companies seem as if they are in cahoots with one another and do the "scratch my back and I will yours" deals sometimes. Don't let them get away with anything.
KSA Aaron (03-25-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:43 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by KSA Aaron
One additional point is that the car was flat bed delivered to my son's garage, as he knew I would not want it sitting out in the weather. Neither door closes and the convertible and trunk are no longer secure. It is better for it to be in an enclosed garage vs being out in the weather. It is now "bleeding out" in his garage. There are fluids leaking across the floor; appears to be lots of trans fluid, not sure if the other fluid is differential fluid.

I'm not sure if this will slow the process as the insurance companies know it is not incurring daily storage charges....

This will be a difficult process going forward as I will be healing from the injuries and settling the claim from overseas. Tough deal as I am 8K miles away.
Your Son could charge the storage fees. Which may speed things up.
KSA Aaron (03-25-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:51 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

OP. a company like NCM is great for trying to have add ons covered. You just send them photos of what y've done and advised how much it cost you and they'll adjust accordingly. I added stage III aero all around and policy didn't change but now I'm "covered" for it should I have an issue. that plus the agreed upon value helps. Glad you're Ok.

Ps. Stay away from reporting performance type mods (emissions sensitive) Someone could give you a hard time trying to have them covered if they're not legal. Let us know how it goes we all learn something from these situations.
KSA Aaron (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 02:02 PM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
OP. a company like NCM is great for trying to have add ons covered. You just send them photos of what y've done and advised how much it cost you and they'll adjust accordingly. I added stage III aero all around and policy didn't change but now I'm "covered" for it should I have an issue. that plus the agreed upon value helps. Glad you're Ok.

Ps. Stay away from reporting performance type mods (emissions sensitive) Someone could give you a hard time trying to have them covered if they're not legal. Let us know how it goes we all learn something from these situations.

Thanks for all of the responses. Hopefully they settle this matter quickly. I really would like to have a Z06 when I am home this Summer.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:13 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by m3incorp
Be careful what you wish for. I grew up in Saskatchewanstan, when has socialized auto insurance run by the government. As in when you get your license, it actually comes with insurance (used to be $100K when I was a kid, more now I'm sure).

So when you have an accident there, your insurance is through SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance). And so is the other guy. And that usually means:

- You're both at fault
- You both pay your deductible
- Your rates both go up next year
- Etc

And if you don't like it, what are you going to do? Switch to the OTHER insurance company? Oh I'm sorry, that's prevented by law, Komrade.

Last edited by davepl; 03-25-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:16 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Most insurance companies will only cover its current market value. Not knowing what your coverage is makes it hard for anyone to predict what they will or will not cover. If you did not purchase additional accessory coverage, chances are they might not pay you for the extras. Good luck...

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance Claim Questions

Quick Reply: Insurance Claim Questions