C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Front tow hook

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:11 PM
Try2pas
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front tow hook

I just ordered, and received, a front tow hook for my '16 Z06 off of Amazon from an add that said "fits all C7 corvettes". It won't screw in or am I doing something wrong so it won't screw in? Is there a "trick" to putting it in?
The following users liked this post:
pfg1 (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 07:18 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

You really need to force it into place -- almost feels like you are cross-threading it. To be successful, I put a lot of pressure on it once the threads were positioned correctly. I believe others have said the same thing. Luckily, easier second time around. Also, you need to get the insertion angle right.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Oh yeah!!! A real PITA the first time you try to install it!!

I think the threads in the receptacle may get paint in there.

If you have a brush that will fit into the receptacle, you can try to clean out the threads using some kind of solvent - be careful not to get any paint thinning kind of stuff on your grill.

You might try getting the tow hook in for a turn, then removing it and cleaning both the tow hook and the receptacle, then try installing for another turn or two and cleaning again.

Like fpfaeth said, you need to get the exact proper insertion angle (which seems to be just slightly off straight in), and it gets easier after you've get it in the first time.

Good luck!!

Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

The frt. hook contacts the grill louvre slightly which tends to push it off the correct angle when screwing it in. As others have said try a bit of oil on the tow threads & maybe a wire brush, gently, to clean up paint on the threads of the hook itself also. I suggest a wooden dowel rod of the tow hook eye diameter to use to twist the hook in "AFTER" making sure it is not cross threaded. It does not go in on the cars longitudinal axis (not straight front to back), slightly at an angle. Slow, slow, slow-don't rush this. I'll add this, no offense, these are not for winching our cars onto flatbeds or pulled by another car since they are off center. Some flatbed tow trucks refuse to use them, opting for the long triangle shape by using a long strap under car & fastening to hook on tow truck cable. Many do have for track use in event of breakdown on track to get it off quickly or pulled into their car trailer but steering is required to keep car on line while pulling. Good luck 'cause they are a PITA.

Last edited by madrob2020; 03-24-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

The key is pushing up on the plastic grill opening that interferes with the correct angle. Once you gently bow that grill opening upward it'll get started.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:54 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
The frt. hook contacts the grill louvre slightly which tends to push it off the correct angle when screwing it in. As others have said try a bit of oil on the tow threads & maybe a wire brush, gently, to clean up paint on the threads of the hook itself also. I suggest a wooden dowel rod of the tow hook eye diameter to use to twist the hook in "AFTER" making sure it is not cross threaded. It does not go in on the cars longitudinal axis (not straight front to back), slightly at an angle. Slow, slow, slow-don't rush this. I'll add this, no offense, these are not for winching our cars onto flatbeds or pulled by another car since they are off center. Some flatbed tow trucks refuse to use them, opting for the long triangle shape by using a long strap under car & fastening to hook on tow truck cable. Many do have for track use in event of breakdown on track to get it off quickly or pulled into their car trailer but steering is required to keep car on line while pulling. Good luck 'cause they are a PITA.
So they put the tow hook receivers, both front and back, there for decoration if not functional?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:27 AM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
So they put the tow hook receivers, both front and back, there for decoration if not functional?
Maybe better said as NOT a recovery hook but meant as a tow hook. Angle of flat bed trucks or stuck with lots of resistance is the issue maybe.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:45 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnape
Maybe better said as NOT a recovery hook but meant as a tow hook.
Exactly.
It's for pulling a C7 up onto a tow truck in a safe manner.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:36 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Exactly.
This has been on numerous threads. It is not for "SAFELY" loading on to flat bed trucks when broken down on the side of the road. Again, it is off center & when pulling, the car will move off center from the bed of the truck. Someone would need to be inside of the car steering & for these 2 reasons most tow truck/flatbeds will not allow their use. Using a long strap routed properly (there are diagrams) will form a V with the point on center line of car. You use the jacking points on each side with special J/T hooks that fit in the jacking puck slots. A board (usually a 4x4) is used between strap & contact of the undercarriage (prevents damage to splitter/bumper). And of course step up lumber in front of wheels to prevent splitter striking bed of truck on approach angle. Straps & J/T hooks are for sell on numerous parts sites, Amazon is good. Your car, your damage if you don't believe.

Last edited by madrob2020; 03-25-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:38 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Some folks are too funny.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:39 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Exactly.
I wouldn't want a tow truck pulling me from there. Maybe a gentle tug to get off a race track.

Would you cherry pick a big block out of a p/u truck using a carb bolt on an aluminum intake? Neither would I.

Last edited by jaden61; 03-26-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:00 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

This has been on numerous threads. It is not for "SAFELY" loading on to flat bed trucks when broken down on the side of the road. Again, it is off center & when pulling, the car will move off center from the bed of the truck. Someone would need to be inside of the car steering & for these 2 reasons most tow truck/flatbeds will not allow their use. Using a long strap routed properly (there are diagrams) will form a V with the point on center line of car. You use the jacking points on each side with special J/T hooks that fit in the jacking puck slots. A board (usually a 4x4) is used between strap & contact of the undercarriage (prevents damage to splitter/bumper). And of course step up lumber in front of wheels to prevent splitter striking bed of truck on approach angle. Straps & J/T hooks are for sell on numerous parts sites, Amazon is good. Your car, your damage if you don't believe.
I broke down one time in my CTS-V and it had the exact same setup as my Z.
In the Caddy's trunk was a titanium eye-hook that screwed into it
The Service Manager at my dealer and the towing company told me that's what it is for.
Argue with them.

Last edited by sunsalem; 03-27-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Oh yeah!!! A real PITA the first time you try to install it!!

I think the threads in the receptacle may get paint in there.

Try a 1/2" fitting brush that a plumber uses on 1/2" copper fittings and try that. You can get one at Home Depot.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:02 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

They are difficult to get started the first time. I've got the ZL1addons titanium tow hooks. I haven't tried putting the rear one in, but it took a couple of minutes to get the front hook started. It's at a slightly downward angle. I put a little Vaseline on the threads, which seemed to help. I carry them in my car just in case.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:50 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

They work very well in fact. I ran out of fuel entering the boot at Watkins Glen a few years ago when i didn't realize the amount of fuel I used pushing it. After all the cars in my group exited the track. The tow truck operator comes up to my window and says " blow it up or out of gas? Is that hook fake or the real deal" with a smirk on his face he explained how many are fake. I leave it in the front all the time now cause ya never know if you need a hooker
Old 03-27-2018, 09:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You can see my ZL1 Add Ons front tow hook in the pic below, and I also have one for the rear.

Sometimes I simply drive my car into my trailer, but I usually hook my tie-down straps into the oval holes in the frame at the jack points to use my winch (with remote controller) to pull the car into my trailer.

However, I have used my tow hook to winch the car into the trailer with absolutely no problem at all!! It's not as steep into my trailer as it would be up onto a flatbed tow truck, but the slight offset from center doesn't give me any problem at all.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I use mine to winch my car onto my trailer all the time. It does pull the car straight up on the trailer although I do open the window and turn the steering wheel back and forth to make sure I get the car positioned exactly where I want it. No need to get in the car just turn the wheel through the window. Not easy to turn but possible. If I wasn't particularly interested in positioning the car on the trailer I could just pull it up and it would go in the direction the front wheels are pointing.

The only issue I can see is when the car nears the winch the winch will pull the front of the car downward depressing the front spring. Once I get my tie downs fastened on the car I loosen the winch so it isn't pulling the front of the car down.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Front tow hook

Old 03-29-2018, 10:17 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree with Bill - no problem at all winching using the tow hook to pull the car up onto an open trailer where you can steer the car into position.

I have an "escape door" on my enclosed trailer and can reach in to steer my car into position while using the remote to control my winch, and it pulls in with no problem when attached to the tow hook.

Or I can open the door to get into the car in order to back it out, or get out after driving it into the trailer.

I won't get any other enclosed trailer without an escape door!!

Old 03-29-2018, 01:42 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I agree with Bill - no problem at all winching using the tow hook to pull the car up onto an open trailer where you can steer the car into position.

I have an "escape door" on my enclosed trailer and can reach in to steer my car into position while using the remote to control my winch, and it pulls in with no problem when attached to the tow hook.

Or I can open the door to get into the car in order to back it out, or get out after driving it into the trailer.

I won't get any other enclosed trailer without an escape door!!

Now that's what I need, the trailer that is, very nice. I'm old school still enjoy those early morning radar detector assisted runs to the track for the drivers meetings.

Bill, Jeff B. followed me once in his Z to WG we had to be there at 7:00 am, he's classroom now BTW. I told him to draft me tight and when he sees my detector light like a Christmas tree through my back window nail the brakes! Cause I sure will be and we did just that on the thruway, exciting!
Old 03-29-2018, 03:37 PM
DogTag-C7R
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts

it angles slightly to the center of car if that makes sense.......you dont have to cross thread it.....it has tight clearances but angle it a few degrees towards center.....

Quick Reply: Front tow hook