C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Gen V Viper GTS or C7 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:53 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
You think the Viper is better looking than the Z06?

There's this new type of doctor you can go see called an optometrist...might want to get an appointment with one.
hey I own a c7z. Had my c7z parked next to a gen v viper and the big angular storm trooper *** of the c7z looks ridiculous next to the curvy viper. The c7z ain’t going to age well. The c7 design is analogous to the design of a liesure suit my grand dad used to wear. grand dad thought those suits looked good when he bought them And years later it’s atrocious. Same for the c7z- designed by guys growing up with transformers - years later at the drawing board with their monster energy drinks rendering a ridiculous looking car that made it to production.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 04-06-2018 at 10:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eli-Z06 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-07-2018, 04:31 AM
KamilZ07
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of your opinions and feedback. As to which car I'm leaning towards... I think I might go with the Z06 for now. As much as I like the Viper, I think I might miss the targa top on the Vettes. Here in Arizona I found myself driving "topless" nearly all the time. Now just to find one in the right spec... M7 3LZ with Z07 and ideally a 2017+ in black and red interior. Might be a tough one then off to Cordes Performance for their headers, sharkbar harness bar, DSC sport controller and a few other goodies

Kamil
Old 04-07-2018, 04:55 AM
KamilZ07
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I currently own a 17 Z (3LZ ZO7 M7). I just sold my 16 Heads and Cam ACR-E to make room for another toy. I also owned a totally stock Gen V ACR and 14 TA 1.0. For the record, I'm probably about as non biased as you will get as I have absolutely no brand loyalty whatsoever.

First off, the vette was intended and will always be the more friendlier of the 2 as the vette also offers more options which is a def plus. I think you've actually listed the main pros/cons of the 2.

As far as performance goes, the 2 are really so close it really shouldn't matter. What does matter (IMHO) however is how they make power. For the street, I prefer the Z, with the supercharger sitting on top giving it that instant torque. For the track, I prefer the viper with its monstrous N/A V10 which doesn't hit hard until later in the R's. Note-viper runs much cooler than vette. They are both drivers cars and I really don't think 1 is harder to drive than the other, so I wouldn't get hung up on thinking the Z is def easier to handle than the viper. The Viper isn't any harder to drive around town than the Vette. Driven hard, the Z can be quite a handful just like the viper. Tracking, drag racing, roll racing.....again, they are so close in performance any race could simply go either way. I would like to add, I think the Z is a bit more sensitive than the viper as Ive thrown codes in the Z totally stock.

As far as attention getting, its nowhere near close. Old vipers get more attention than new vettes, so comparing the new ones is simply a waste of time. Looks.....eh...all subjective.

While no doubt the exclusivity is awesome with the viper, it comes with a price. Harder to find qualified techs, doesn't have quite the aftermarket and modding is more pricey.

Just a note, the rev match on the vette is awesome, but they do make Auto Blip for the Viper now. I ran one on my C6Z Lingenfelter and it was pretty much flawless.

Value-Im sure the Viper will keep more of its value than the vette. Some think they'll go up because they don't make them anymore.

In the end, I would go with what you think will make you the happiest. Im sure Im leaving lots out, any questions, just ask. Try and recognize bias posts and disregard. Good luck
A lot of great information in your post! And congratulations on owning both the ACR-E and Z06, that's a great combo! I read about the Auto Blip, it sounds like a great solution for people like us who track their toys. Personally, I love both cars and if I had the opportunity to own an ACR or even a TA I'd most likely go this route. However, for now since I could "only" get an SRT or GTS I might go with the Z06/07. With the rev match, big trunk, great sound when paired with CPR headers and the targa top, I think it might be the right choice for me at the moment as I'll likely use it as my daily driver and occasional track toy all at once

Kamil
Old 04-07-2018, 10:48 AM
GarryL
Burning Brakes

Received 894 Likes on 309 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified

Since you like the wind in your hair as you said, why not go with a Z06 Convertible. I wouldn't have it any other way if it's gonna be a Vette!

jloZ06 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Viper based on this comparison.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I have a Gen 2 GTS and a Z06. Love them both. The Gen 5 Vipers are great cars but there have been some issues with them (motors) and the support from Fiat Chrysler has been less than inspiring. Warranty issues and company support will be "interesting" in the future.
The Vipers are rare and get alot more attention on the road than the Vette. The Vette is a more comfortable street car. The Vette will depreciate more quickly. How about buying the new Z06 and acquiring a nice Gen 2 to go with it? They are appreciating, are great cars to drive and the looks are hard to beat.

I like that you have a 99' FRC stored up on the rack among the others.
capevettes (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
Viper based on this comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qWYJQClIyY
Lol, that video pretty much sold me on the Z06 so I don't know how you arrive at the Viper from that video.

They basically say the Corvette is better in EVERY way...

Comfort
Interior
Looks
Sound
Performance
Seating etc. etc. etc.

And then they give the win to the Viper because it runs faster at the track, well no ****, it's got a 2 foot high wing on the back, 4 sets of canards, massive splitter, looks ridiculous, and is extremely uncomfortable. That's the price you pay for those few seconds at the track. But it's ok, it's the better car apparently.

The ACR and Z06 comparison kind of sucks for that reason. They should compare the Z06 to the TA. Not an ACR, which is more comparable to the ZR1 (Obviously they just chose what was out at the time, but it's still the MID-RANGE Corvette vs. the TOP OF THE LINE Viper.)

Old 04-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP
Lol, that video pretty much sold me on the Z06 so I don't know how you arrive at the Viper from that video.

They basically say the Corvette is better in EVERY way...

Comfort
Interior
Looks
Sound
Performance
Seating etc. etc. etc.

And then they give the win to the Viper because it runs faster at the track, well no ****, it's got a 2 foot high wing on the back, 4 sets of canards, massive splitter, looks ridiculous, and is extremely uncomfortable. That's the price you pay for those few seconds at the track. But it's ok, it's the better car apparently.

The ACR and Z06 comparison kind of sucks for that reason. They should compare the Z06 to the TA. Not an ACR, which is more comparable to the ZR1 (Obviously they just chose what was out at the time, but it's still the MID-RANGE Corvette vs. the TOP OF THE LINE Viper.)

Honestly If I could get a 2018 new viper for 78k like I did for my 2018 2lz z06 auto with PDR I would have done it in a heartbeat. Corvettes are everywhere here in south florida but a Viper is a RARE beast. Although I probably wouldnt be able to pull it off as my daily driver and ONLY car like I can with the z06 Vette.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by KamilZ07
A lot of great information in your post! And congratulations on owning both the ACR-E and Z06, that's a great combo! I read about the Auto Blip, it sounds like a great solution for people like us who track their toys. Personally, I love both cars and if I had the opportunity to own an ACR or even a TA I'd most likely go this route. However, for now since I could "only" get an SRT or GTS I might go with the Z06/07. With the rev match, big trunk, great sound when paired with CPR headers and the targa top, I think it might be the right choice for me at the moment as I'll likely use it as my daily driver and occasional track toy all at once

Kamil
Cant go wrong brother, Z is an awesome car and a bit friendlier in most aspects. I agree with canthave that the ACR should be compared with the ZR1 and not the Z. The TA is a more even match for the Z. Good luck on finding the right Z for you.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueDevlZ06
Well said Steve
thanks bud
Old 04-09-2018, 09:35 PM
jloZ06
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
Honestly If I could get a 2018 new viper for 78k like I did for my 2018 2lz z06 auto with PDR I would have done it in a heartbeat. Corvettes are everywhere here in south florida but a Viper is a RARE beast. Although I probably wouldnt be able to pull it off as my daily driver and ONLY car like I can with the z06 Vette.
when i bought my 2014 GTS new in February of 2015 i paid 83k, msrp was 130k. the deals were there when they were actually still in production, now? forget it used are being sold for more than i paid new.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jloZ06
when i bought my 2014 GTS new in February of 2015 i paid 83k, msrp was 130k. the deals were there when they were actually still in production, now? forget it used are being sold for more than i paid new.
I couldnt afford toys like that back in 2014. I would have jumped on it now. Looks like you will MAKE money on yours when you sell it
jloZ06 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 12:39 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I currently own a 17 Z (3LZ ZO7 M7). I just sold my 16 Heads and Cam ACR-E to make room for another toy. I also owned a totally stock Gen V ACR and 14 TA 1.0. For the record, I'm probably about as non biased as you will get as I have absolutely no brand loyalty whatsoever.

First off, the vette was intended and will always be the more friendlier of the 2 as the vette also offers more options which is a def plus. I think you've actually listed the main pros/cons of the 2.

As far as performance goes, the 2 are really so close it really shouldn't matter. What does matter (IMHO) however is how they make power. For the street, I prefer the Z, with the supercharger sitting on top giving it that instant torque. For the track, I prefer the viper with its monstrous N/A V10 which doesn't hit hard until later in the R's. Note-viper runs much cooler than vette. They are both drivers cars and I really don't think 1 is harder to drive than the other, so I wouldn't get hung up on thinking the Z is def easier to handle than the viper. The Viper isn't any harder to drive around town than the Vette. Driven hard, the Z can be quite a handful just like the viper. Tracking, drag racing, roll racing.....again, they are so close in performance any race could simply go either way. I would like to add, I think the Z is a bit more sensitive than the viper as Ive thrown codes in the Z totally stock.

As far as attention getting, its nowhere near close. Old vipers get more attention than new vettes, so comparing the new ones is simply a waste of time. Looks.....eh...all subjective.

While no doubt the exclusivity is awesome with the viper, it comes with a price. Harder to find qualified techs, doesn't have quite the aftermarket and modding is more pricey.

Just a note, the rev match on the vette is awesome, but they do make Auto Blip for the Viper now. I ran one on my C6Z Lingenfelter and it was pretty much flawless.

Value-Im sure the Viper will keep more of its value than the vette. Some think they'll go up because they don't make them anymore.

In the end, I would go with what you think will make you the happiest. Im sure Im leaving lots out, any questions, just ask. Try and recognize bias posts and disregard. Good luck
Always unbiased and well thought out responses.
Boba Fett (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 03:54 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thegame
Always unbiased and well thought out responses.
thank u sir
Old 04-13-2018, 01:25 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Like-to-like Viper/Corvette comparisons:

Z06 = TA

ZR1 = ACR
(Although I'm not sure if the extra 100hp of the ZR1 cancels out the more race-derived aero of the ACR or not).
Old 04-15-2018, 07:30 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

If you want the all around car. The z06 wins! Heading out for a 3500 mile trip in the next couple days in the Z06! Best part is we have tag vehicle so the Z06 is going empty!
Along with the with the DCS controller. Which is awesome.

Then the easy 673 rwhp from the aftermarket support of bolt-on's. STILL GETTING 20 plus MPG at close to 800 hp on PUMP gas.

After selling my stock 1.7 blower I'm at 9k for everything.
Viper needs a ton to match then long trip would not be as easy.

Runs cool on the highway after over 400 miles of testing this week!
Amazingly fast!
Old 04-15-2018, 11:08 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

I like both.... both of there pros and cons

Last edited by T/A KID; 04-15-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Gen V Viper GTS or C7 Z06?