C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2016 Z06 1000hp build questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 10:14 AM
02402ramair
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2016 Z06 1000hp build questions

Ok guys. I have a 2016 Z06 8 speed auto that is basically bone stock other that a mid pipe that was on it when I bought the car in 2017 with 450 miles. It now has 9700. The only thing I have done was turn off the dod. I recently did a Carlyle 15" conversion on the rear. I have a 15" drag pack for the car installed once just to make sure every thing fits correct. Its never made a pass down the track. Its my street car and so far I have not made the plunge to the dark side. I have been buying parts and putting them back for this car for a while now. I think I am finally ready to start my build. I am unsure on a couple things on this car. Camshaft is one and fuel system is another. I want this car to still be a good driver. I can deal with a lot but don't want it to push to bad running a stock converter. The second thing is the fuel system. I don't want to do port injection. Looking to see how far the DI can go with dual nozzle meth, FIC 30% over injectors, big bore HPFP, DSX low side, flex and E85.

I have maxed the stock DI running meth, low side, cam with a fuel lobe and E50 making mid 800s on another Z06. Looking to push mine farter.

This is a list of parts I have accumulated.
Some I might not use.

Maggy 2650R
New Stock LT4 blower with a Jokerz full tilt port Job. Has the tall Bricks and lid. (This is what I was going to use until I ran across the 2650 blower)
Halltech CAI (Wont be using this. It came with the car but was never installed.)
GPI stage 3 PDS cam
GPI CNC LT4 heads
ARP head studs
Johnson 2110R drop in race lifters
Normal DOD delete parts from BTR
BTR trunnion upgrade
Speed Engineering Billet Valve Covers for 2650 blower
ATI Balancer
Katech 103mm Throttle Body
Alky Control Dual Nozzle Meth Kit
Kooks 1 7/8 headers with a Off-road X Pipe

This is what I have collected so its subject to change.

I still have a intake, pulleys, and some other things to buy that I have not done yet. open to options.

1. My question is will the 30 over FIC injectors and the big bore pump with meth be enough to run out of the pump E85 (roughly E70) and make 1000rw?

2. How bad will a GPI stage 3 PDS cam push with a stock converter and this combo? Looking at swapping it for a stage 2.

3. What pulley combo would get me 20 psi?

Thanks for any help.
Kris
Old 07-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Default Z06

Originally Posted by 02402ramair
Ok guys. I have a 2016 Z06 8 speed auto that is basically bone stock other that a mid pipe that was on it when I bought the car in 2017 with 450 miles. It now has 9700. The only thing I have done was turn off the dod. I recently did a Carlyle 15" conversion on the rear. I have a 15" drag pack for the car installed once just to make sure every thing fits correct. Its never made a pass down the track. Its my street car and so far I have not made the plunge to the dark side. I have been buying parts and putting them back for this car for a while now. I think I am finally ready to start my build. I am unsure on a couple things on this car. Camshaft is one and fuel system is another. I want this car to still be a good driver. I can deal with a lot but don't want it to push to bad running a stock converter. The second thing is the fuel system. I don't want to do port injection. Looking to see how far the DI can go with dual nozzle meth, FIC 30% over injectors, big bore HPFP, DSX low side, flex and E85.

I have maxed the stock DI running meth, low side, cam with a fuel lobe and E50 making mid 800s on another Z06. Looking to push mine farter.

This is a list of parts I have accumulated.
Some I might not use.

Maggy 2650R
New Stock LT4 blower with a Jokerz full tilt port Job. Has the tall Bricks and lid. (This is what I was going to use until I ran across the 2650 blower)
Halltech CAI (Wont be using this. It came with the car but was never installed.)
GPI stage 3 PDS cam
GPI CNC LT4 heads
ARP head studs
BTR trunnion upgrade
ATI Balancer

I still have a intake, pulleys, and some other things to buy that I have not done yet. open to options.

1. My question is will the 30 over FIC injectors and the big bore pump with meth be enough to run out of the pump E85 (roughly E70) and make 1000rw?

2. How bad will a GPI stage 3 PDS cam push with a stock converter and this combo? Looking at swapping it for a stage 2.

Thanks for any help.
Kris

My 16 Z06 A8 is currently in the shop and I'm going to be in your hp neighbor hood. As soon as I get it back and have some real numbers to share I'll get back to this post. It looks like your build is going to be similar to mine.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:48 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 246 Posts

You'll be back in the same boat with those mods and the fueling "issue". You won't be able to flow even more E85, turning up boost, yielding more power. You will likely get close to 1000whp with heavy meth being used. But this depends on the dyno etc, I wouldn't get fixated on the dyno, more so how the car runs at the track. But in short, running E70+ at 20# which you desire, I cant foresee that.
If you're dead set against port, I'd look into the xdi high side, belt driven fuel pumps. Several companies have this setup and it's a 100% solution if not going port. That or up your injector selection, as there's larger options avaliable now over the +30s. That's just a gamble and you'd likely be near the ceiling of their safety ceiling IMO.

Maggy 2650R
GPI stage 3 PDS cam
GPI CNC LT4 heads
ARP head studs
BTR trunnion upgrade
ATI Balancer

Looks good, I'd ask your shop and or contact one of these companies that do custom grinds for the drive-ability of the setup. I personally believe you'd be fine. As none of these cams seem to be really aggressive, and more so cut for the fuel lobe increase.

Thanks for any help.
Kris
1. At E70, I highly doubt it. And 1000whp is subjective to the shop/dyno setup etc. See my first paragraph for detail.

2. Contact shop, with no specifics on the cam hard to say. If it's an off-the-shelf cam which it sounds like as a stage x, they won't be cut super aggressive to cause driveability issues with stock converter.

3. Each setup is different, when the car is built and baselined the shop can adjust accordingly. May hit numbers early or run out of fuel early, or before you desired boost number.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:07 PM
spoolin98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 98 Posts

Why are you against port injection?
Old 07-09-2021, 09:35 AM
02402ramair
Drifting

Originally Posted by spoolin98
Why are you against port injection?
I don't have much knowledge on the port systems.
What's available for the 2650?
Old 07-09-2021, 09:40 AM
02402ramair
Drifting

How are the XDI +65 LT4 injectors doing?
Are people having good luck with them?
Is the high side running out with a big bore HPFP and a low side?
I don't know anything about the belt driven high side.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:03 AM
spoolin98
Pro

I don't have much knowledge on the port systems.
What's available for the 2650?
Toohighpsi makes a port injection setup for the Mag 2650, but you have to modify your stock hood to make it fit. There’s pictures on their website of the modification to the hood. This would solve your fueling issue.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:11 AM
ZO6LIFE
Burning Brakes

Received 636 Likes on 335 Posts

I have an 800hp build on my Supersport. I have FIC 1000 injectors running at 65% duty cycle. I also have a GPI stage 2 cam in it with a .637 lift. GPI cams tend to run a stage higher than most. My GPI stage 2 has the same specs as a texas speed stage 3. If want to stick with the stock converter a stage 1 GPI would be the highest I would go. But you are leaving a lot of power on the pavement without the converter. My Circle D billet triple disc acts exactly the same as my stock converter in city driving. On the track it becomes an animal. Plus, your tuner, if good, should be able to give you the best of both worlds. Go with a triple fuel pump too or else you may need to upgrade to hit 1k power build.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:11 AM
BigJay08
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I was in the same boat not wanting port. However after running my whipple for a season with E60 and 2 nozzle meth i worried too much about a cheap meth pump going out and going lean along with the dsx not keeping up. Now this was on stock z06 injectors but two things just stuck in my head. One does that much meth really make it evenly to all cylinder? Especially the back 2. The second thing was can i trust my car at that power to stay properly fueled with a factory ecu that runs in open loop at wot? Granted I’ll admit a lot of this is over worrying.

If you look at what it costs for a new high side fuel pump, low side fuel pump and a set of injectors, its pretty much the same price as a port injector setup. The advantages of port are you can run an ecu like the Holley that self learns and does closed loop at wot plus a low side setup that has fueling for days. Lots of ways to skin the cat, i just share this to give a little insight for how i looked at this.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:08 AM
SwampDog13
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

BigJay's thought process is very similar to how I made the decision to go with Crawford's SPI set up. I am going from only a rather basic bolt on 670whp setup, no meth and low E, to a max effort SBE setup. I didn't want depend on meth and if I would have to spend effectively the same amount of money on all the add ons to get enough fuel through the DI as I would with SPI, I wanted the piece of mind that I would never not have enough fuel.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:30 AM
BigJay08
Racer

Originally Posted by SwampDog13
BigJay's thought process is very similar to how I made the decision to go with Crawford's SPI set up. I am going from only a rather basic bolt on 670whp setup, no meth and low E, to a max effort SBE setup. I didn't want depend on meth and if I would have to spend effectively the same amount of money on all the add ons to get enough fuel through the DI as I would with SPI, I wanted the piece of mind that I would never not have enough fuel.

I have Crawford’s spi setup too. I bought the one with the triple in tank pump with the full return lines. Couldn’t be happier with the Holley and never worrying. When I put this on I pulled my meth kit off and the car just runs better with a smoother transition of power / fueling as you get into boost. With my meth kit it seems like the ramp up was quick and abrupt.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:02 AM
spoolin98
Pro

Originally Posted by BigJay08
I have Crawford’s spi setup too. I bought the one with the triple in tank pump with the full return lines. Couldn’t be happier with the Holley and never worrying. When I put this on I pulled my meth kit off and the car just runs better with a smoother transition of power / fueling as you get into boost. With my meth kit it seems like the ramp up was quick and abrupt.
I get that people use meth for a variety of reasons, but to use it as a fuel source through intake bungs just doesn't make sense to me. Never has. There is no way each cylinder is getting an equal amount of meth. Perhaps your issues with meth were from this. I would have done the same in your position. I'm currently getting my Z modified and stayed away from Meth, I'm using straight 93 until I can get enough fuel mods to run straight E85.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:21 AM
SwampDog13
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJay08
We will have pretty similar setups other than the blower, I decided on the Kong eforce. I went with the all-in-one fuel system as well. The only thing I didn't splurge on was the dominator upgrade, maybe down the road.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:24 AM
BigJay08
Racer

Originally Posted by SwampDog13
We will have pretty similar setups other than the blower, I decided on the Kong eforce. I went with the all-in-one fuel system as well. The only thing I didn't splurge on was the dominator upgrade, maybe down the road.
me either. I’m running the Holley HP because my car is a manual & I don’t drag race it so I didn’t have the need for any of the extra inputs. Plus if I ever build my motor there’s still enough room for nitrous or meth in the future on the hp if ever needed. But to be honest I’m not planning on that.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Z06 1000hp build questions

Quick Reply: 2016 Z06 1000hp build questions