C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Introducing ProTEKt Splitter Protection for the C7 Z06 with Wide Winglets!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:45 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mdolandese
What size are the OEM splitter bolts? Please
I assume you mean the head size?

typically they are a Torx head, but my cheap HF torx drivers are not marked with the sizes, so I'm not sure. (some folks have claimed that it is the same size as the tool for their golf club tools, but I don't golf, so I can't confirm that)

there have been a very few of them that use a normal 7mm hex head bolt, but those have been pretty unusual.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 05-23-2018, 01:07 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Firemedic301

These are identical to OEM for a 1/3 the price.
Oh wow, that is way cheaper.

Is the quality the same as from the GM dealer?
Old 08-24-2018, 06:15 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CubPilot

I just got the Stage 2 splitter installed on my 2018 GS last week. Car didn't move until I got the protector a few days latter & installed it. From this perspective it is noticeable, but if you are standing up looking at it you barely notice it.
I haven't scraped the splitter yet, but it probably is coming. It's very easy to install and uses the screws used to attach the under tray. Very glad this was available to save "sanding" away the CF splitter if and when it meets the pavement.
Having to have a front plate SUCKS!
We are required to have a front plate here in CA as well, but I have never actually run one, and haven't gotten a single ticket in 20 years. Do they actually enforce the front plate rule where you are?

Old 08-24-2018, 07:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by ProTEKtMitch
We are required to have a front plate here in CA as well, but I have never actually run one, and haven't gotten a single ticket in 20 years. Do they actually enforce the front plate rule where you are?
I moved south from upstate NY about 5 years ago and the police did enforce the rule quite often. I was stopped twice and given warnings to get the plate mounted. The last time it happened I showed the LEO the plate inside the car and offered to get out and install it but he said wait until I was off the Interstate and in a parking lot.

The other problem with not installing the plate is it gives them an excuse to stop you.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 08-24-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:32 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Hey guys,

I've started a new thread, as a buyers guide, to try abd help folks order the correct ProTEKt skid plate, for their specific configuration of C7 Corvette.

feel free to check it out, and comment.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-s-guide.html
Old 09-08-2018, 02:48 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

left corner detail

right corner detail

bracket detail

Mitch, I received your Z07 kit last week and looks to be a quality product. Since my Z07 aero was installed by the dealership PDI tech, I have a few questions regarding the corner winglets.

1.) My aluminum brackets are black, however they appear to be the same design. Do you simply need to loosen the two Torx screws holding the Stage 3 tall vertical winglets in order to slide the support bracket on and over the screws or is there another preferred method?

2.) My hardware does not include a washer as pictured, just a bolt to screw into the aluminum support bracket. Do I need those or do I have an updated connecting clip design?

3.) Any tips on how to access and loosen the Torx screw in the front corner. What a PITA that is. I have the car up on some garage ramps, but I'm still trying to do this on my back. I need to loosen both screws in order to get aluminum support bracket installed.

4.) Lastly, with the Stage 3 front winglets removed temporarily, I also plan to install some new clear, front side markers. Any tips on how to gain access with through the Z06/Z07 fender wells? They don't appear to simply pull away after removing the torx screws holding the winglets like they do in the rear and on the Stingray models.

Last edited by MSG C5; 09-08-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:13 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MSG C5

left corner detail

right corner detail

bracket detail

Mitch, I received your Z07 kit last week and looks to be a quality product. Since my Z07 aero was installed by the dealership PDI tech, I have a few questions regarding the corner winglets.

1.) My aluminum brackets are black, however they appear to be the same design. Do you simply need to loosen the two Torx screws holding the Stage 3 tall vertical winglets in order to slide the support bracket on and over the screws or is there another preferred method?

2.) My hardware does not include a washer as pictured, just a bolt to screw into the aluminum support bracket. Do I need those or do I have an updated connecting clip design?

3.) Any tips on how to access and loosen the Torx screw in the front corner. What a PITA that is. I have the car up on some garage ramps, but I'm still trying to do this on my back. I need to loosen both screws in order to get aluminum support bracket installed.

4.) Lastly, with the Stage 3 front winglets removed temporarily, I also plan to install some new clear, front side markers. Any tips on how to gain access with through the Z06/Z07 fender wells? They don't appear to simply pull away after removing the torx screws holding the winglets like they do in the rear and on the Stingray models.

Here are some hopefully helpful answers.

1) the prototype brackets in the pics were a set I handmade, and were raw steel, but the production versions are black zinc coated for corrosion resistance. I have never had to fully remove the winglet, and I designed the bracket to go in by backing the 2 torx screws out a bit, and flexing the winglet, but it is possible that fully removing the winglet might be better for some people.

2) the bracket should have a nut clip pre installed, and the bolt threads into that, and secures the end of the plate without a washer. Some people have needed to make sure that the bracket is positioned correctly to minimize the gap between the plates and the winglet.

3) if you can figure out a way to easily get to the front torx bolt, you would be the first. I would love to see how they do it at the factory.

4) I’ve never needed to get in there. I assume that you will need to remove the front tires, and pull the fender liner, but it is possible that there is a clip, and the light needs to be popped out.

Thanks,
Mitch
ProTEKt Skidplates
The following users liked this post:
MSG C5 (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 11:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Here are some hopefully helpful answers.

1) the prototype brackets in the pics were a set I handmade, and were raw steel, but the production versions are black zinc coated for corrosion resistance. I have never had to fully remove the winglet, and I designed the bracket to go in by backing the 2 torx screws out a bit, and flexing the winglet, but it is possible that fully removing the winglet might be better for some people.

2) the bracket should have a nut clip pre installed, and the bolt threads into that, and secures the end of the plate without a washer. Some people have needed to make sure that the bracket is positioned correctly to minimize the gap between the plates and the winglet.

3) if you can figure out a way to easily get to the front torx bolt, you would be the first. I would love to see how they do it at the factory.

4) I’ve never needed to get in there. I assume that you will need to remove the front tires, and pull the fender liner, but it is possible that there is a clip, and the light needs to be popped out.

Thanks,
Mitch
ProTEKt Skidplates
Thanks. Does your non-Stage 3 Protekt kit also have the counter-sunk holes to attach the splitter guard using the OEM torx screws? I'm considering sticking with my Stage 2 front winglets and removing most of my track aero.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:48 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Thanks. Does your non-Stage 3 Protekt kit also have the counter-sunk holes to attach the splitter guard using the OEM torx screws? I'm considering sticking with my Stage 2 front winglets and removing most of my track aero.

Yea, if you are running the narrow winglets, the kit you get will be entirely held in with the factory bolts, and the plates will have the same counterbores as the wide winglet kit, to help protect the fasteners from damage.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:02 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Yea, if you are running the narrow winglets, the kit you get will be entirely held in with the factory bolts, and the plates will have the same counterbores as the wide winglet kit, to help protect the fasteners from damage.
Thanks. Just sent you an email to exchange for the Stage 2 kit.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:56 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Thanks. Just sent you an email to exchange for the Stage 2 kit.

Hey No problem.

we have a buyers guide here on the forums, that I think can help the C7 guys determine which kit they need.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-s-guide.html

Quick Reply: Introducing ProTEKt Splitter Protection for the C7 Z06 with Wide Winglets!!