C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Recent oil analysis: 0W-40 vs. 5W-30

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:13 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Recent oil analysis: 0W-40 vs. 5W-30

Hello all. Lots of speculation on how 0W-40 will work in our cars vs. 5W-30 and which is the best. I have attached my most recent oil analysis for my LT4. This engine was built by myself and engine builder Tyrone Gooch during my engine build experience at the Bowling Green Assembly. This engine has also had the Callaway 757/777 engine package installed at approximately the 1000 mile mark.

The column on the Left shows the analysis after a 1,210 mile run on Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. This is the European Car formula and NOT the new Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 which is the new factory fill for all 2019 Corvettes. I know these are not the same oils and the FS 0W-40 is not dexos approved. However I figured I would give it a try and see how it went. The three additional columns to the right are all Mobil 1 5W-30 including the factory fill which is farthest to the right. Really not drawing any conclusion about which is better however they both look quite suitable for use in the LT4. The 0W-40 at the last fill continues the trend of reduced metals and seems to be lubricating and protecting the engine just as adequately as the 5W-30.

I am not recommending one vs the other. This is only a series of samples from one engine out of tens of thousands of engines that have been built. All I am providing is evidence to those that can't wait to switch to the new 0W-40 and evidence to those that say the 5W-30 has worked fine for years and that they are not switching. It looks like either way you go, things may be ok.

As far as oil filters go, since the first factory fill I have tried Royal Purple, Mobil 1 and the PF64. All seem to do the job with regards to filtering.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
K12684 (3).pdf (56.2 KB, 487 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by breakskeet:
ArmchairArchitect (12-18-2018), Evan Sanza (01-11-2024), gymdoc (04-20-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 09:07 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

As an addendum, what may be of interest is that the initial change at the 500 mile is definitely warranted as per GM recommendation. If you were to wait until the oil life indicator recommended your first change the Silicon level would be very high as seen by the residual Silicon level at the second change. This may even indicate that another change after an additional 1500 to 2500 miles after thel 500 mile change may be a good idea.

Remember the oil analysis is looking at elements not compounds that is why Silicon is measured and not Silicone. Silicon is the major element in Silicone.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:22 PM
McFly
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by breakskeet
As an addendum, what may be of interest is that the initial change at the 500 mile is definitely warranted as per GM recommendation. If you were to wait until the oil life indicator recommended your first change the Silicon level would be very high as seen by the residual Silicon level at the second change. This may even indicate that another change after an additional 1500 to 2500 miles after thel 500 mile change may be a good idea.

Remember the oil analysis is looking at elements not compounds that is why Silicon is measured and not Silicone. Silicon is the major element in Silicone.

Interesting data, thanks for sharing....
Old 04-19-2018, 08:33 AM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Whats up with the drastic differences in Boron, calcium and the magnesium ?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:05 AM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^ Those are additives.

If i had to make a guess, since the 0W-40 is a European oil and they are concerned with eliminating Sulfur as much as possible I bet the increases Calcium is there to form Calcium Sulfate. This oil is used in many diesel engines over there.

Last edited by breakskeet; 04-19-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:22 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

^^^ Those are additives.

If i had to make a guess, since the 0W-40 is a European oil and they are concerned with eliminating Sulfur as much as possible I bet the increases Calcium is there to form Calcium Sulfate. This oil is used in many diesel engines over there.
The new 0-40 or 5-30 for me the other 0-40 euro I think is not as good for the cats. Really no reason to not just use the 5-30
Old 04-21-2018, 05:51 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

In our cars when new, it may be from the silicone sealer, since your levels reduced with each oil change. I'd read that this was one of the reasons for the 500 mile oil change... the high silicon level increases the tendency of the oil to foam.

More typically, the silicon level is an indication of how much dust/dirt is getting into the engine. That's why the report says, "Silicon is very low, showing excellent air filtration". Calcium can be an indicator too, since calcium and silicon are the most abundant components of the earth's crust (mainly as calcium carbonate and silicon dioxide).

Last edited by Warp Factor; 04-21-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:54 AM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
In our cars when new, it may be from the silicone sealer, since your levels reduced with each oil change. I'd read that this was one of the reasons for the 500 mile oil change... the high silicon level increases the tendency of the oil to foam.

More typically, the silicon level is an indication of how much dust/dirt is getting into the engine. That's why the report says, "Silicon is very low, showing excellent air filtration". Calcium can be an indicator too, since calcium and silicon are the most abundant components of the earth's crust (mainly as calcium carbonate and silicon dioxide).
You are correct regarding Silicon usually being present in oil due to poor filtration. Calcium is also added to oil as a detergent to keep contaminants suspended in oil.

What I meant in regards to the 500 mile change is that there is silicon still washing out in high quantities even after this change. So it may be good to do another after some more miles are put on the engine as there may still be a possibility for the oil to foam. Please see the comments for the first and second oil analyses attached.

Attached Images
J01522.pdf (55.6 KB, 86 views)
J32896.pdf (55.5 KB, 74 views)

Get notified of new replies

To Recent oil analysis: 0W-40 vs. 5W-30

Quick Reply: Recent oil analysis: 0W-40 vs. 5W-30