C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

I think I have a "Cross Breed" Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 12:44 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default I think I have a "Cross Breed" Throttle Body

I call it a "Tech-Mo+" ported throttle body. I had a Katech with the machined shaft on the shelf and decided to port it today. Hopefully with the additional porting it 'may' make an improvement.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-19-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:22 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Just a guess, but I think you may have a problem with such drastic "porting". Too much & you might throw a code or see engine idle/WOT stumble. Not a car guy but going by what I've read here. Let us know.

Last edited by madrob2020; 04-19-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:51 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Just a guess, but I think you may have a problem with such drastic "porting". Too much & you might throw a code or see engine idle/WOT stumble. Not a car guy but going by what I've read here. Let us know.
Just to elaborate a little more here...

The lip restricts airflow below 25% throttle. If you remove too much of it the PCM will pull spark to try to slow the engine down below 25% throttle. Once you cross the 25% throttle threshold you get all that spark back and then some. It feels like a dead hole in the throttle and then a surge as you cross the threshold.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
The following users liked this post:
madrob2020 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:27 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Just to elaborate a little more here...

The lip restricts airflow below 25% throttle. If you remove too much of it the PCM will pull spark to try to slow the engine down below 25% throttle. Once you cross the 25% throttle threshold you get all that spark back and then some. It feels like a dead hole in the throttle and then a surge as you cross the threshold.
"Thanks" for the reply/info. I'll find out real soon if I made a mistake; I'll have my fingers crossed. I only took the porting back to the lip. I was aware of that problem from reading one of your posts awhile ago.

PS: The reason I went with Katech was along with the machined down shaft Katech's porting is programed so it's always right, where if done by hand mistakes can happen.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-19-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:44 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default Test Drive & Time Slip with TB 'comparison' pics.

Test Drive: Felt 'normal' with no dead hole in the throttle from what I could tell. As I pressed down on the throttle slowly from a stop the car only accelerated. At one point as I pressed down on the throttle it did feel like it accelerated more than the stock TB did. No codes set on the street or at the track.

Track Time Slip: This time slip is really an apples to oranges comparison to my previous ones because I have added MT 345/35/18 ET Street S/S drag radials. Each tire weighs 5 lbs. more than the last set of MT 305/35/18 ET Street S/S drag radials that are the stock OEM height of 26.6" tall. The new 345's are 27.8" tall which is a height increase of 1.2 inches over the 305's OEM height. That rotating weight & taller tire both reduce performance. In fact just about everything that I have done to this car from new has reduce performance like the transparent top over the carbon fiber top that came with the car, than I added heavier chrome wheels over the factory silver painted ones, aftermarket side skirts, etc.

I have been a 1.57 60' on the 345's but not on 'this' time slip from today's Test & Tune (4/20/18) with the ported TB which was a hot off the street with no cool down pass.

Comparison of the stock 19,000+ mile TB to the Ported TB that has been tried twice now on the car.

NO Flash

Flashed

Summary: Due to the "Tech-Mo+" flawless street performance so far & the apples to oranges comparison which is not settled yet (i.e. Don't know if I gained any performance) it's stay'en on for now.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-24-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:51 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default Went 1/8 mile Mod Bracket Racing Saturday 4-21-18

Got to the fourth round which 'SURPRISED' me; first time bracket racing this year and only the second time ever in this car. I wanted to be as consistent as possible so I launched from an idle every time including the two practice passes. One of which (bad R/T) is posted below still running the ported TB. The 1.58 60' on the slip I repeated approx. 1/2 of all my passes Saturday.

It may not be a 1.53 60' like what I could do on the stock wheels & tires but I can live with it as bracket racing is about 'consistency'.

Throttle body is still running flawlessly on the street/track.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-22-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:18 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Tried a Mamo TB & after a while it thru a code. He offered to exchange for a less aggressive TB but I figured the first one was no improvement for the month before code started. Yes, when I went back to OE TB never had another code (reset the code 3 times, always came back till back to OE). Maybe I'll just bore mine out & let it rip-NOT. Cool tho that you are having no problems. INFO: '16 M7 Z
C7/Z06 Man (04-22-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 12:05 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default Must take weather conditions into consideration when testing.

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Tried a Mamo TB & after a while it thru a code. He offered to exchange for a less aggressive TB but I figured the first one was no improvement for the month before code started. Yes, when I went back to OE TB never had another code (reset the code 3 times, always came back till back to OE). Maybe I'll just bore mine out & let it rip-NOT. Cool tho that you are having no problems. INFO: '16 M7 Z
I have seen Dyno numbers that did & did not pan out in the real world. So what really counts is if a car's performance pans out on the street, the track, i.e. "The REAL WORLD".

Let me add to the list from my #5 post of items that did not improve my "performance".

A Corsa 3" X-PIPE painted with high temp silver & wrapped with 2000° heat wrap where the trans is located.

When the 3" Corsa X-Pipe came out it made sense to me getting rid of the secondary converters and increasing the tube size to 3" would improve the car's performance. "WRONG" Yes, the car sounded better and that in & of itself made me think it was going to haul *** at the track. Well, when I got it to the track the very next weekend after installing it (in better weather) it went over a tenth of a second slower than the week before, it lost time in the 60' along with mph at the end of the strip too. So I pulled it off and sold it. The next time out with the OEM X-Pipe installed the "PERFORMANCE" returned.

To end this post on a positive note I did gain 1 mph with an AFE CAI running the "Low Flow" gray filter so it's still on the car.

Example: of a good run before the new MT 345 tires in good weather.

NOTE: "ALL" time slips in this thread are from the same track and in the same lane.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 05-03-2018 at 03:18 PM.
madrob2020 (04-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To I think I have a "Cross Breed" Throttle Body

Quick Reply: I think I have a "Cross Breed" Throttle Body