C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Noise from front end after alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:51 PM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Noise from front end after alignment

I got an alignment done about 200 miles ago to resolve some uneven tire wear. Car was fine for about a week but now I have some binding/pop noise coming from the front right when the wheel is turned about 30* from right steering lock. I can feel some feedback in the steering wheel when it crosses that threshold.

I can't always reproduce but it happens after you travel the front end some from braking and then move towards full lock to the right. I'll occasionally hear the same pop noise when turning right into my driveway or coming to a stop.

Any idea what might have been done incorrectly during the alignment. I took it to the dealer today and they were not able to reproduce the noise even though I can. I didn't mention that Tire Discounters had performed an alignment 2 weeks ago in case it would deny warranty repair, I was hoping they could find it on their own.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Sounds like you have a loose Eccentric bolt. They can come loose and move if not torqued properly or possibly never really tightened, mistakes happen. When turning or going over a bump the tires want to go in different direction therefore put a lot of pressure on the control arms. I heard the same noise in my rear going into a corner at Watkins Glen at around 90 and felt the cars rear shift ever so slightly. A bit nerve racking, it was the eccentric!

A company on the East Coast AMT makes blocks that go in place of the GM eccentrics so they can NEVER move again. We've installed many sets on C7s. With stock GM eccentrics we always line mark each one with a marker pen so its east to tell if they shifted later.

I would not drive it much or far until this is checked. Usually another sign is your steering wheel is not centered anymore.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:29 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

I wasn't going to say eccentric plate until you said "Tire Discounters" did the alignment. I don't know anything about those guys but in my personal experience cheap tire shops don't want to take the time to torque those eccentric bolts properly. Just hit it with an impact wrench and call it good is what often happens.

This is a video of what happens when you don't torque the eccentrics properly. That said if you're not doing track days you're probably not in danger of moving the stock eccentrics if they're properly torqued. However if you are doing track days and you're getting fast I do think you'll need a camber kit sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 04-22-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Noise from front end after alignment

Quick Reply: Noise from front end after alignment