C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dirty Looks

Old 04-21-2018, 09:32 PM
jlbjr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dirty Looks

I don’t think I’m paranoid. Since I bought the car a couple months ago I noticed most people give me dirty looks and try to race me in all types of small vehicles. I just cruise around a few mph over the speed limit. Some people are good and ask to take pictures, but most I think are jealous. They atomically think your a rich jerk. I love this car and work very hard for my money so f’ them. This car is the real deal in performance.

Popular Reply

04-23-2018, 09:15 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I'm extremely rich! I have a great wife, children, and grandchildren. I survived Vietnam and cancer. Sometimes being "rich" doesn't always relate to monetary things.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

uh, where do you live? middle of nowhere? i live in south fla, i've gotten some thumbs up, nothing crazy..
Old 04-21-2018, 10:12 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Who cares
Old 04-22-2018, 04:40 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbjr

I don’t think I’m paranoid. Since I bought the car a couple months ago I noticed most people give me dirty looks and try to race me in all types of small vehicles.
I think you might be taking it the wrong way sometimes. I've talked to a few people afterward who had acted like they wanted to race me (including one guy in a rusty old Ford pickup truck), and it turned out they just wanted to see me get on it. No harm, they were just looking for entertainment, and wanted to see the car do it's thing.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:40 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

First of all if you were rich you wouldn't be driving a Corvette. Second, stop worrying so much about what people think. Lastly, how in the hell is anyone getting next to you in a Z06. I think you're doing this wrong!
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:35 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

I agree on on everybody wants to race! Specially young dumb *** in Golf or Focus!! I dont care, but sometimes they are driving like retarded around me , which is dangerous!
Old 04-22-2018, 08:26 AM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by cvp33
First of all if you were rich you wouldn't be driving a Corvette. Second, stop worrying so much about what people think. Lastly, how in the hell is anyone getting next to you in a Z06. I think you're doing this wrong!
I love your comment, but I think I’m doing wrong too. I drive my car on the road like a grandpa, but race it at the dragstrip.
cvp33 (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

I always get a few that pretend they want to race but what they really want is for me to give them a display of power.
Mostly though I get thumbs up or shouts of nice car.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:04 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

That's a flawed statement.

Many owners could easily afford a 'supercar' like a 720S and for various reasons, choose to drive a Corvette.

I spend so much time on the racetrack, there is no need to drive like an idiot on the street with all the inherent risks; I drive like a pu$$y on the street.

But I do get a lot of people pulling next to me & revving their motor, many in crappy old vehicles. As the OP says, most just want to hear the car on the gas & see what she'll do. I just smile & wave at them.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Taz Golf
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06

Many owners could easily afford a 'supercar' like a 720S and for various reasons, choose to drive a Corvette.

I spend so much time on the racetrack, there is no need to drive like an idiot on the street with all the inherent risks; I drive like a pu$$y on the street.

But I do get a lot of people pulling next to me & revving their motor, many in crappy old vehicles. As the OP says, most just want to hear the car on the gas & see what she'll do. I just smile & wave at them.
I always get the thumbs up from people!!! I have baited Lambo's and Porsche's by taking off aggressively from the stoplight slowing at speed limit....the sound scares them off and they have to deer in headlight look
Car is heavily modded
Old 04-22-2018, 10:10 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

I believe your and my definition of "rich" are entirely different. If I were rich I wouldn't bother with a Z06 for any reason, not even a throw away car if I'm rich. My definition of "rich" puts me in a Porsche 918 or Ford GT using 1 month's interest income from my investments. I'm not talking about $1M to $5M in net worth, there's a lot of people in that range that I wouldn't call rich. I'm not buying cars that wear a chevy badge, cost $74K or are made in the 1,000's if I'm rich.

Sorry to hear that you think you're driving like a pu$$y on the street. Again, I think you might self-define differently than I do.

As for the OP. Who cares what others think? Didn't you work hard enough to feel comfortable driving what you want? Aren't you in a place in your life where you have the self confidence to have a nice car or a nice house?

I went to cars and coffee Saturday morning and parked in a row that had 4 Ferraris, 5 Lamborghinis, 2 Vipers, 2 Ariel Atoms, 4 Z06's and 2 Vanderhalls. My 2016 Callaway Z06 and a 2017 Ferrari GTC4 Lusso shooting brake got the most attention and most pictures taken. No rude comments, not one dirty look, just great people enjoying their cars.

Unfortunately I have more years behind me, than in front of me, where I'll be able to drive the Z06 the way I want. I intended to enjoy every one of those years/miles and won't be worrying about anyone that wants to look down on me or my car.

Originally Posted by Newton06

Last edited by cvp33; 04-22-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:13 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I do notice people seem to drive faster around me. I have nothing to prove so it doesn't bother me. As for looks I seem to get a lot of smiles. I just smile and nod a thank you. One doesn't need to be rich to drive a Corvette. This one always makes me laugh. If I were rich I definitely wouldn't have one as there are better built cars. The Corvette is the bargain though.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:16 AM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbjr
I don’t think I’m paranoid. Since I bought the car a couple months ago I noticed most people give me dirty looks and try to race me in all types of small vehicles. I just cruise around a few mph over the speed limit. Some people are good and ask to take pictures, but most I think are jealous. They atomically think your a rich jerk. I love this car and work very hard for my money so f’ them. This car is the real deal in performance.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:24 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I know of members on here that could write a check for 50 Huracans without selling anything, but still drive a Z06.

Perhaps, like Bill Gates said on the Simpsons, "I didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks".

Granted that driving a Z doesn't mean you're rich, but it doesn't rule it out either.

It's absolutely true that driving a Z sort of "eggs people on" and everyone from sports car drivers to landscapers in F-250s want to see the show, and will stage at lights next to you. I think the question is "What do you do in that situation"?

If it's me, I smile and nod and often get a smile back or a thumbs-up. If you're already thinking they're jealous, you've colored your worldview, maybe you look over with a serious face and you get a scowl back... You have no idea what they want or if they like the color you picked or anything.

Last edited by davepl; 04-22-2018 at 12:26 PM.
badhabit_wb (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 01:01 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I believe your and my definition of "rich" are entirely different. If I were rich I wouldn't bother with a Z06 for any reason, not even a throw away car if I'm rich. My definition of "rich" puts me in a Porsche 918 or Ford GT using 1 month's interest income from my investments. I'm not talking about $1M to $5M in net worth, there's a lot of people in that range that I wouldn't call rich. I'm not buying cars that wear a chevy badge, cost $74K or are made in the 1,000's if I'm rich.
You will never reach your lofty definition of rich. Buying cars does not make you rich. It makes you more poor! Keep dreaming about daily interest buying you a new 918. I drive my Z06's and feel rich in my own shoes!
Old 04-22-2018, 01:47 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I've found that pretty much anyone who EARNED their money, particularly over time, never treats money that way.

To me, the real definition of being wealthy is having enough money in liquid savings to live the lifestyle you aspire to for the rest of your life, plus a healthy safety margin in case the stock market drops in half (or some other calamity occurs), plus something to pass along to your kids. The rest is gravy and security.

Now once you get to the Saudi sheik level I suppose it's a question of what you want and not what you can afford, but people that came up slowly tend to have more modest tastes.

Old Sam Walton could buy and sell us all and I think he drove a Ford pickup.

But I might be confusing the attitude it takes to -get- rich with -being- rich. If the money falls in your lap and you light your cigars with $100 bills, that's your business. But don't think that having money makes one suddenly elitist and wasteful, because it doesn't. Or shouldn't!

Last edited by davepl; 04-22-2018 at 01:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by davepl:
09ZR1 (04-24-2018), Z06NJ (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Getyup
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

A McDonald’s employee would think I’m rich. A Fortune 500 CEO would think I’m poor. Like the Corvette it’s all relative.

Get notified of new replies

To Dirty Looks

Old 04-22-2018, 02:16 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
I agree on on everybody wants to race! Specially young dumb *** in Golf or Focus!! I dont care, but sometimes they are driving like retarded around me , which is dangerous!
So true, had a Jag sedan doing totally stupid **** in front of me try to do who knows what. I run my PDR now all the time so I can record stupid idiots
Old 04-22-2018, 02:53 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Getyup
A McDonald’s employee would think I’m rich. A Fortune 500 CEO would think I’m poor. Like the Corvette it’s all relative.

Very true. All about ones perspective 👍🏻
Old 04-22-2018, 04:05 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The funniest comment I have gotten is when I slowed going through a work zone where some new utility poles were being installed in a very rural area near me. The flagger stopped me and said the guys want you to go fast so that they can hear it

I got out of their work zone and nailed it and got a big thumbs up from the crew.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dirty Looks