C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Bent Rims: RunFlats vs Non-RunFlats

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 05:00 AM
Perf n Restore
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Bent Rims: RunFlats vs Non-RunFlats

Has anyone had a bent rim with non-runflats?

It would seem that the non-runflats with a more flexible sidewall would absorb more than the runflats.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:35 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

I don't think there are enough people on non run-flats
The following users liked this post:
Perf n Restore (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 07:13 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Many people I know using non run flats including myself are running forged wheels because we had wheel issues, or don't want wheel issues.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
Many people I know using non run flats including myself are running forged wheels because we had wheel issues, or don't want wheel issues.
The only wheel I ever personally had that bent was a forged wheel.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The stock run flats that come on the C7 only have a reinforced sidewall on the inside of the tire. The outside sidewall is the same as a non run flat tire and just as flexible. If you attend the Spring Mountain school they have cutaway portions of the tire that you can hold in your hands and feel the difference from one side of the tire to the other. I have seen plenty of bent rims on other cars that just use non run flat tires all it takes is the right bump. That is also why there are so many wheel restoration companies in business around the country. They get plenty of business and it isn't from Corvette Owners. Every Corvette owner in the US could get 4 bent rims on each of their Corvettes and not be able to generate enough business to keep all of those wheel restoration shops in business. If I get a bent rim I keep driving on it unless the tire is losing air because of the bend or if I have torqued the wheel sideways and bent it through the hub area causing excessive lateral run out.

Bill
Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 AM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Perf n Restore
Has anyone had a bent rim with non-runflats?

It would seem that the non-runflats with a more flexible sidewall would absorb more than the runflats.

There are two schools of thought on this but I've never seen hard data to prove or disprove either. Even Tire Rack doesn't comment on it definitively.

Some argue that stiff sidewalls in run-flats protect the wheels since they offer more resistance to deformation from impacts. However, this lack of "give" in the sidewall could mean that the energy goes somewhere else over time, namely the wheel.

The argument for softer sidewalls it that they have more give/deformation, meaning the energy from an impact is dissipated throughout the tire better. The problem here is that on a hard impact, the deformation could be so great that the wheel actually makes contact with the road.

As far as bent wheels on Corvettes go, I think it's a perfect storm of ultra-skinny sidewalls, huge wheels, and shitty wheel metallurgy/manufacturing. Even the non-Z06 cars with more sidewall and selection of non-ZP tires still have problems with bent wheels. Heck, look at the German car forums since many of those are equipped with run-flats -- it's the same story.

Some secondary speculation on my part is that GM also wanted to optimize for performance and looks without skyrocketing the price of the car, which meant a lighter, weaker cast wheel. Cast wheels can be as strong as forged wheels, they just need to be a lot heavier to do so. The Corvette is all about performance so sacrificing some wheel durability for faster lap times & acceleration was probably seen as an acceptable trade-off.

Last edited by dparm; 04-23-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:58 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Yup, I'm in the camp that argues a stiffer sidewall transmits the impact over a BROADER portion of the wheel itself, so it protects the wheel but transmits more shock to the suspension.

A softer sidewall (non runflat) deforms the tire more and puts a higher load on a SMALLER portion of the wheel itself, which I contend will increase the odds of damage to the wheel while offering some protection to the suspension. The softer it is, the worse it is until the sidewall collapses entirely.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Last edited by davepl; 04-23-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bent Rims: RunFlats vs Non-RunFlats

Quick Reply: Bent Rims: RunFlats vs Non-RunFlats