C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

VETTES driven in the rain vs. sunny days only VETTES

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:06 AM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Been having problems with the ACL in my right shoulder. It's really become a painful chore just washing my car.
Same here, I hurt my right AC joint at the gym and it is still a bit bothersome. Doctor had me get on youtube and look up shoulder impingement exercises in which helped me out a great deal.

NO rain or snow for me if at all possible, there's no need, I have 3 other vehicles to choose from.
The following users liked this post:
DevilDog II (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 01:16 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

No rain never for me unless it is unexpected rain.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:46 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Are you really going to say that Corvettes of every lineage weren't tested in the snow and ice before being brought to market?

Because you don't do it doesn't mean others don't, or it can't be done. Rear wheel, high horsepower cars were driven in the snow LONG before today's "drive on nice days only" group of drivers appeared.
OK show me where I said any of your post. Please stop putting words in my mouth. Let me dummy this down for you. Getting tested for something is totally different then claiming what a certain product is designed for. I can think of a million examples where this applies. I never said because I don't do it, does not mean others don't or it cant be done....Go back and reread and you'll see I said. Phantasms (member here) equips his Z with snows and does it and enjoys it (his prerogative). As many others who have posted, I am fortunate enough to have a daily driver and have no desire to drive my 2017 ZO6 in the rain/snow as I see that as a task and no form of pleasure. Yes, I am a "drive my corvette only on nice days" driver. Its not rocket science figuring out that a car that designed specifically to be fast around a road course with tires that peak in performance after reaching a certain temperature probably wont be a good choice for inclement weather...this is really silly IMHO to debate and I'm done with it....that being said, if its how you enjoy/using your corvette, have at it and enjoy.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:16 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I drive all my cars in rain, but the Z06 less so, due to those big, massive, honking tires up front, and the way the car has a tendency to want to follow the road due to them. It has more tendency to want to go were it wants to go, than my other cars exhibit.

Z06 does not have neutral steering, and as such, is more dangerous in wet than my other cars. It has a tendency to hydroplane more easily because of the front tires.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:51 AM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

On Friday, 13 April we got 18 inches of snow, the most in one day all winter. (Which put us over 144 total inches this year.) I had a trip to Texas, Louisiana and other places as we saw fit planned to launch at 5:00 Saturday morning. I spent 5 hours Friday on a tractor getting the half mile of road from my garage to the highway bladed so our 16 Z06 Z07 would not high center or otherwise malfunction at the start of the trip. Saturday morning the road was mostly frozen and we made it to pavement with minimum scraping and more than enough sliding. We are in Texas planning to leave Dallas for Louisiana Monday. I did put PS2's on and had the suspension download done before departure. Weather, Eco and Tour along the way with a mixed weather trip.
I am not a rain seeker but we tour with our Vettes and they get a good clean-up regularly.
To comment on rain during driving school, I highly support the idea. I am not an automotive driving instructor but just retired from over 10 years as a motorcycle safety coach and can affirm the confidence gained by a new rider after training in the rain.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:16 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
If I needed to? I would. I don't need to. So I don't.

if I get caught in some unforeseen or low probability storm? Is what it is. It's happened. These cars are NOT fun to drive in the rain.

I drive my car every chance I get above freezing and not on miserable days.
I’ve driven our Z06 in the rain several times. You go places and sooner or later it rains. Never had any problem with just wet roads but if it starts ponding you better slow your hiney down.

Quick Reply: VETTES driven in the rain vs. sunny days only VETTES