C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Frustrated With GM (Rear Differential)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 04:39 PM
berryvette
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Frustrated With GM (Rear Differential)

Well after 3 weeks of dealing with GM service advisors and also the Senior service advisor I am told that I will get my new rear differential (which is under warranty) whenever it comes in and it could be anywhere from 1 month to 6 months due to none available and back ordered (really!). I asked the Senior service advisor for their bosses contact information and they said its the legal department and gave me a PO box address in Detroit. I don't even know what to say but how disappointed I am with GM being a billion dollar company and sending the new corvettes out but cant take care of customers who have bought corvettes already. Has anyone else dealt with this nonsense and what was your actions and results?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:49 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Park it at the dealer and get a service order written up. Then the clock starts for your lemon law suit.
The following 2 users liked this post by jaden61:
2019 ZR1 (05-04-2018), berryvette (05-03-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by berryvette
Well after 3 weeks of dealing with GM service advisors and also the Senior service advisor I am told that I will get my new rear differential (which is under warranty) whenever it comes in and it could be anywhere from 1 month to 6 months due to none available and back ordered (really!). I asked the Senior service advisor for their bosses contact information and they said its the legal department and gave me a PO box address in Detroit. I don't even know what to say but how disappointed I am with GM being a billion dollar company and sending the new corvettes out but cant take care of customers who have bought corvettes already. Has anyone else dealt with this nonsense and what was your actions and results?
what was the problem?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The dealer doesn't know when it will be available. GM Service Parts orders spares as required by some sort of forecast of the number of units needed and you could have gotten caught up in a time period where they are negotiating a new contract with the supplier. Nobody but the low level people working with the supplier will have any idea when the parts might become available. Has your dealer done a nationwide search for diffs that might be sitting on a shelf at other dealerships? I had the diff in my 97 fail and the dealer was having a hard time finding one when they suddenly found one at a dealership in Texas about 2000 miles away. It was air shipped and in the car in two days.

Surely in what ever business you have been involved in have run into parts being on back order? It is common and there are a lot of reasons for the situation that are out of control of the company that is trying to get the part.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Trackhawkz06 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 06:13 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

What happened to the email Mary recommendation? That seems to get things done for the people who do it.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

same thing happened to me with car at 250 miles.they told me to leave it until part comes in.i said no,going to drive it until part comes in.if it blows,it is still covered.it will not blow,it will just whine until you get it replaced.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:04 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

GM absolutely has zero parts. it's disgraceful. I had a camaro zl1 in my shop for 4 months waiting on ****.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:45 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
What happened to the email Mary recommendation? That seems to get things done for the people who do it.
I did that and someone else from GM got back to me and said Mary was to busy to read Emails.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

This is why I don't bother with extended warranty, GM service is mostly worthless.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by spearfish25
That worked for me when I was having a problem with the finish on my exposed carbon fiber top. I got jerked around for over a month after filing a complaint with GM. I finally decided to send an email to Mary Barra. I seriously doubt that she actually received my email, but I received a phone call from my dealer the following day saying that they had been instructed to order a new top.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:01 PM
berryvette
Racer

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I did that and someone else from GM got back to me and said Mary was to busy to read Emails.
D
oes someone have the email address?
Old 05-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by robertbruce
Top executives don't read all of the emails sent to them. There are people who read them and then assign tasks to people in management to handle. The idea is they need to handle the issue appropriately within the legal limits and with the aim of providing satisfaction to the Customer where possible. That is always why any snail mail letter or email to the top dog in a major corporation should always include what will make you happy. It is a lot easier to provide things when you know what somebody wants.

When I first did this about 30 years ago complaining about a dealer charging me for a repair that I thought I shouldn't have been. I got a call from the dealer about 4 days after I mailed the letter. He said my complaint wasn't going anywhere and they were upset with me. Then the next day I received an unmarked envelope in the mail with a check from the dealership for the full amount of my payment. Then I received a call from a GM manager asking if I was satisfied with the resolution of the problem. I said yes and he authorized a $1000 discount on any other GM vehicle I wanted to purchase over the next year. The discount was on top of any other discounts I could receive or what ever price I negotiated with a dealer.

Bill
Old 05-03-2018, 03:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Does someone have the email address?
Dan Ammann
President
300 Renaissance Center
Detroit, MI 48243
dan.ammann@gm.com

Chief Executive
Mary T. Barra
Chairman & CEO
300 Renaissance Center
Detroit, MI 48243
(313) 556-5000
mary.barra@gm.com

Information from this URL: http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/general-motors/

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Vette E Boop (05-11-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 04:45 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

You're probably in luck. They had to change the gears in the differentials to handle the extra power in the zr1 and that's probably why yours isn't available. They're supposed to have the same differentials in all of the c7's going forward so the new one should be better than the one you had in the beginning. It sucks that you don't have it now but hopefully it won't take long.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:36 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

JUST IN CASE I copied the email for future use if needed. Thanx
Old 05-04-2018, 03:56 PM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Questionable

Originally Posted by jaden61
Park it at the dealer and get a service order written up. Then the clock starts for your lemon law suit.
Ck your Lemon law as ours only applies to the 1st year not the entire years of warranty.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:02 PM
tieppers
Cruising

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

So I just went through this exact senario. I posted 2 months ago that it took 3 weeks to convince gm that the worn diff was not from an overheating event. They agreed to honor the warranty after much push back. I just got my 2015 zo6 back last thursday with new rear diff and no more noise! I ran over a large rock on the way home and destroyed my rear tire..Thats just icing on the story for a good laugh. Anyhow make sure you have a claim and keep the number. Get your senior advisor to check every week. It took 2 months to get the part in. Seems like a simple supply and demand problem but GM did offer a $750 coupon for their website.
That being said does anyone know a corvette exeocist to get the rest of the gremlins out of my cursed car?

Get notified of new replies

To Frustrated With GM (Rear Differential)

Old 05-08-2018, 12:08 PM
berryvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Dan Ammann
President
300 Renaissance Center
Detroit, MI 48243
dan.ammann@gm.com

Chief Executive
Mary T. Barra
Chairman & CEO
300 Renaissance Center
Detroit, MI 48243
(313) 556-5000
mary.barra@gm.com

Information from this URL: http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/general-motors/

Bill
Thank you sir.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:38 PM
berryvette
Racer

Well got good news Friday after sending an email to 3 GM executive's, that my rear diff is in and ready to be installed. GM quality department contacted me Thursday and said it would be at the dealership within 24 hours and the car had repair priority at the dealership. Received a call at 8am this morning from the dealership that it s there and bring the car in for immediate repair at me convenience, glad this is over. Thank you for everyone's help in this matter.

Last edited by berryvette; 05-11-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:51 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Top executives don't read all of the emails sent to them. There are people who read them and then assign tasks to people in management to handle. The idea is they need to handle the issue appropriately within the legal limits and with the aim of providing satisfaction to the Customer where possible. That is always why any snail mail letter or email to the top dog in a major corporation should always include what will make you happy. It is a lot easier to provide things when you know what somebody wants.

When I first did this about 30 years ago complaining about a dealer charging me for a repair that I thought I shouldn't have been. I got a call from the dealer about 4 days after I mailed the letter. He said my complaint wasn't going anywhere and they were upset with me. Then the next day I received an unmarked envelope in the mail with a check from the dealership for the full amount of my payment. Then I received a call from a GM manager asking if I was satisfied with the resolution of the problem. I said yes and he authorized a $1000 discount on any other GM vehicle I wanted to purchase over the next year. The discount was on top of any other discounts I could receive or what ever price I negotiated with a dealer.

Bill
I used that email and got good results, but I 100% promise you that's not her actual email address. It's probably somehting like M_K@GM.com or something like that. They wouldn't make it that obvious. Do you know how much spam the CEO of a F100 company would get?

Quick Reply: Frustrated With GM (Rear Differential)