C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2017 Z06 w/207 pckg what path for about $8k or so in performance mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 04:09 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default 2017 Z06 w/207 pckg what path for about $8k or so in performance mods?

Just curious what others feel is the best path these days for our Z's. Considering the 2.9 Whipple which would be a bit over this but not sure how much, assuming I would need long tubes, tune, fuel injectors?

I already have cold air and x-pipe. Love the carbon brakes huge upgraded from my 2015 Z06 so I feel the braking is where I want. I lowered it so handling is also solid for my needs. Now I am ready to get the mods moving.

Should I go the other route lower pulley, long tubes, (have x-pipe and cold air), camshaft?, ported tb?, meth kit due to increased temps, tune.

If I went with the 2.9 what additional fuel parts would I need? Could I start with a lower boost and stay with stock fuel pump?

I also can do all the work myself done many heads/cam but I don't have a lift so I was considering just letting vengeance do all the work tune/etc since they are close to me. Or I may just let them do the long tubes and tune since those are a pita and my lack of time.

Did anyone try the 2.9 yet? Guess I am just curious what's the best path for the money...thank you!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:48 AM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by C5-VERT
Just curious what others feel is the best path these days for our Z's. Considering the 2.9 Whipple which would be a bit over this but not sure how much, assuming I would need long tubes, tune, fuel injectors?
yes, if you want to make it well worth it, you need to upgrade other stuff.

I already have cold air and x-pipe. Love the carbon brakes huge upgraded from my 2015 Z06 so I feel the braking is where I want. I lowered it so handling is also solid for my needs. Now I am ready to get the mods moving.
If you go with long tubes, you wont need your x pipe, sell it. do you mind tuning it? some people don't want to loose their warranty.

Should I go the other route lower pulley, long tubes, (have x-pipe and cold air), camshaft?, ported tb?, meth kit due to increased temps, tune.
You should decide first what power level you want to be at. If you only want 700 whp, there's no need to spend money on a whipple and hack up your car. If you don't mind it, then you will need to upgrade your fuel system and cam to achieve best results.

If I went with the 2.9 what additional fuel parts would I need? Could I start with a lower boost and stay with stock fuel pump?
yes, you could just stay below that threshold level for your stock stuff but whats the point? are you planning to upgrade later on, then if so, go for it.

I also can do all the work myself done many heads/cam but I don't have a lift so I was considering just letting vengeance do all the work tune/etc since they are close to me. Or I may just let them do the long tubes and tune since those are a pita and my lack of time.
doing the work yourself if you feel you can do it without issues, then go for it, you will save tons of money.

Did anyone try the 2.9 yet? Guess I am just curious what's the best path for the money...thank you!
can't help you here, lol, as I'm not there yet, but you probably already answered your own question. you asked, "best path for the money"? IMO, it would be a TVS 2300 right now. don't waste money on all that little bolt on crap (other than exhaust and intake), just go straight for the kill man......upgrade the blower if you have the money!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:25 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thank ya George for the reply. I do understand what you mean yes if tearing the motor apart why not just go all the way. Just trying to be smart about it. I have a budget mostly b/c I am doing other things right now (pool at house being put in) so I was hoping to stay around $8k, but leave room for adding bigger power later.

I was leaning to the 2.3 initially but that's $6k and will need tuning for stage 2. For $7k I can go with the whipple 2.9 and get some tuning done (I have x-pipe, borla exhaust, and halltech). Course doing the install myself. That would get me I hope mid to upper 600 wheel, which works for me initially. I guess i am more asking is there any gotcha's with the 2.9 vs the 2.3? Why would I not go with the whipple since it's more efficient and leaves room for more power? I know I have to hack up my car a bit but not a big deal to me. Then later this summer I can upgrade fuel (camshaft, meth), long tubes, etc. I am ready to move on this by first of next week just trying to pick the best path. Thank you btw for taking the time to help me!
Old 05-08-2018, 02:05 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Use that money for yourself to become a better high performance driver. A good driver in a stock C5 will outrun a C7Z with a novice driver on a road course.
The following users liked this post:
olblue75 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 02:12 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by charger21
Use that money for yourself to become a better high performance driver. A good driver in a stock C5 will outrun a C7Z with a novice driver on a road course.
Exactly.

op...What is your track and education experience.

What are you doing with the car that you need more powet?
Old 05-08-2018, 02:46 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Thank ya George for the reply. I do understand what you mean yes if tearing the motor apart why not just go all the way. Just trying to be smart about it. I have a budget mostly b/c I am doing other things right now (pool at house being put in) so I was hoping to stay around $8k, but leave room for adding bigger power later.

I was leaning to the 2.3 initially but that's $6k and will need tuning for stage 2. For $7k I can go with the whipple 2.9 and get some tuning done (I have x-pipe, borla exhaust, and halltech). Course doing the install myself. That would get me I hope mid to upper 600 wheel, which works for me initially. I guess i am more asking is there any gotcha's with the 2.9 vs the 2.3? Why would I not go with the whipple since it's more efficient and leaves room for more power? I know I have to hack up my car a bit but not a big deal to me. Then later this summer I can upgrade fuel (camshaft, meth), long tubes, etc. I am ready to move on this by first of next week just trying to pick the best path. Thank you btw for taking the time to help me!
Sounds to me like you are really leaning towards the 2.9l. Go for it, but understand that to make it worthwhile, you will have to eventually swap the stock headers, cam and fuel system to make more power (that's well over 6k) in addition to the 7k price tag of the 2.9. If you are okay with that, then get the 2.9.

are you going to actually race the car or do you just want big numbers to brag on? either or, it's your car and money.

Your saying that you wan to use your 8k wisely, at this time, that is not the wise choice imo. Your better off waiting for the 2650. that or the 2300, some headers and a tune and you are all set, all for about 8k if you do the work yourself. Good luck....
Old 05-08-2018, 03:23 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06
Sounds to me like you are really leaning towards the 2.9l. Go for it, but understand that to make it worthwhile, you will have to eventually swap the stock headers, cam and fuel system to make more power (that's well over 6k) in addition to the 7k price tag of the 2.9. If you are okay with that, then get the 2.9.

are you going to actually race the car or do you just want big numbers to brag on? either or, it's your car and money.

Your saying that you wan to use your 8k wisely, at this time, that is not the wise choice imo. Your better off waiting for the 2650. that or the 2300, some headers and a tune and you are all set, all for about 8k if you do the work yourself. Good luck....
Thank you George.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:25 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
Exactly.

op...What is your track and education experience.

What are you doing with the car that you need more powet?
As if I need to prove myself on a forum (although I met some nice folks on this forum) answering the above comments I am 43 years old, started with C5 back in my early twenties, pulled the engine myself threw in 388 all-bore in driveway, heads/cam, long tubes, 150 shot, E/T Streets with skinnies was doing mid 10's. Then had kids so switched to a couple jeep SRT-8's with bold ons and nitrous. Now that my kids are getting older I am on my second C7 Z06, went to the Z07 package b/c yes I want to track it more, but not all out. It's going to be more of a weekend track car and yes I have track experience with lessons over a decade ago I took at road Atlanta. Done track events at Corvette Events in Atlanta and one in Bowling Green. I am planning on track events here local at Roebling road with friends. I also may do a few quarter mile events but the car isn't built for that in my opinion. I am a gearhead I just enjoy working on cars and making it my own. Some of it yes is personal satisfaction of building it myself and why most of us car guys do this ****.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

As if I need to prove myself on a forum (although I met some nice folks on this forum) answering the above comments I am 43 years old, started with C5 back in my early twenties, pulled the engine myself threw in 388 all-bore in driveway, heads/cam, long tubes, 150 shot, E/T Streets with skinnies was doing mid 10's. Then had kids so switched to a couple jeep SRT-8's with bold ons and nitrous. Now that my kids are getting older I am on my second C7 Z06, went to the Z07 package b/c yes I want to track it more, but not all out. It's going to be more of a weekend track car and yes I have track experience with lessons over a decade ago I took at road Atlanta. Done track events at Corvette Events in Atlanta and one in Bowling Green. I am planning on track events here local at Roebling road with friends. I also may do a few quarter mile events but the car isn't built for that in my opinion. I am a gearhead I just enjoy working on cars and making it my own. Some of it yes is personal satisfaction of building it myself and why most of us car guys do this ****.
$8000

10 track days with a nice set of forged wheels.

I would just throw a tune and pulley on the Z, ive never found a place other than a pure straight line where additional power would improve my result.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:15 PM
"BoneStock"
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You can do a f1a and meth for about 10k if you install them. Should be north of 800whp.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:42 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by "BoneStock"
You can do a f1a and meth for about 10k if you install them. Should be north of 800whp.
The more I think and get comments the more it makes sense to me to just do it right. George made a lot of sense in previous comments. Increase my budget to $10 or $12k and go F1A or 2.9 with the port injection, long tubes, and a cam. What I don't want to do is ruin my engine by fuel starvation. I don't have E85 much around here. How is the supplemental port injection controlled? I know the ZR1's come with it. Is there a supplemental computer that controls the added fuel? Assuming I would need a new fuel pump also how much HP is it good for?

As for wheels etc yes forged wheels will be lighter but I have done that before and never got much of a seat of the pants increase out of them for what I paid. I simply went with them for looks but the wheels on the Z honestly look like they fit the car perfectly. I would rather spend that money on something I prefer. I have stage 3 aero with winglets so covered there. Carbon fiber roof also and lowered. I am 100% happy with the car except for power. 150+ more would get me where I want, if it's reliable.

I would love to take all this info build it out with pics and dyno and report back here on the forum. Especially if I do the 2.9. We all have seen plenty F1A's.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:46 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
$8000

10 track days with a nice set of forged wheels.

I would just throw a tune and pulley on the Z, ive never found a place other than a pure straight line where additional power would improve my result.
10 track days may also possibly ruin my carbon rotors and certainly, my pads would be gone so easily add $1400 to $7k on top of that $8k. I plan on doing about 5 to 7 track days a year. Not much more than that. Work, kids, family won't allow much more...
Old 05-08-2018, 07:48 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Then I can change my "10 Sec Club" pic to "9 Sec Club". Funny thing is I made those pics for the corvetteforum 17 years ago I can't believe they are still in use
Old 05-08-2018, 07:53 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

The 2300 is 4600-5k has everything you need but a tune. But my plan was 800 hp on pump gas no further. No meth or efuels.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:42 PM
"BoneStock"
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think you will be able to do port injection, 2.9/f1a, and a cam in that price range. Port injection is about 5-6k, plus blower, plus install/tune. Another 3-5k for cam/heads.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

10 track days may also possibly ruin my carbon rotors and certainly, my pads would be gone so easily add $1400 to $7k on top of that $8k. I plan on doing about 5 to 7 track days a year. Not much more than that. Work, kids, family won't allow much more...
sell them for some iron brakes nobody's going faster because they have Factory carbon ceramics.

I guess i dont what you want all this extra horsepower for. I've blown away everything I've enountered in the twisties and on the track nobody but an ACR is going to beat you.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:53 PM
WuTang
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The more I think and get comments the more it makes sense to me to just do it right. George made a lot of sense in previous comments. Increase my budget to $10 or $12k and go F1A or 2.9 with the port injection, long tubes, and a cam. What I don't want to do is ruin my engine by fuel starvation. I don't have E85 much around here. How is the supplemental port injection controlled? I know the ZR1's come with it. Is there a supplemental computer that controls the added fuel? Assuming I would need a new fuel pump also how much HP is it good for?

As for wheels etc yes forged wheels will be lighter but I have done that before and never got much of a seat of the pants increase out of them for what I paid. I simply went with them for looks but the wheels on the Z honestly look like they fit the car perfectly. I would rather spend that money on something I prefer. I have stage 3 aero with winglets so covered there. Carbon fiber roof also and lowered. I am 100% happy with the car except for power. 150+ more would get me where I want, if it's reliable.

I would love to take all this info build it out with pics and dyno and report back here on the forum. Especially if I do the 2.9. We all have seen plenty F1A's.
With just an F1A you won't really need port injection if you don't mind using methanol injection. Plenty of people have made well over your power goals without the port injection.

If you are considering a blower swap i'd go the Procharger route 10/10 though.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Z06 w/207 pckg what path for about $8k or so in performance mods?

Quick Reply: 2017 Z06 w/207 pckg what path for about $8k or so in performance mods?