C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

M7 launching

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:14 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Here is 636rwhp headers and Halltech
intake.
3 Z06ZR1,

After seeing your times I have a couple of questions as to how you are launching your car.
Are you dropping or slipping the clutch? If so, at what RPM are you doing either?
Lastly, what tires are you running? Thanks,

Rich.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 PM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Real world experience

Hit me up on private messager and I will be more than happy to walk you through launch control. I just rather explain it one on one rather than hearing flames from drivers who tried it once then said it wasn’t worth while. How much credibility is that ? 42 runs down the lane with this system and I’m on fire. Not saying their isn’t better solutions, just stating what has worked for me. You are dissatisfied with your times yet throw out the launch control system that thousands of man hours were placed into. Everyone has their own technique but from what you are stating, nothing else is working. Just trying to narrow down solutions for you..
The following users liked this post:
Trackhawkz06 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 12:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by jabeasley1
Hit me up on private messager and I will be more than happy to walk you through launch control. I just rather explain it one on one rather than hearing flames from drivers who tried it once then said it wasn’t worth while. How much credibility is that ? 42 runs down the lane with this system and I’m on fire. Not saying their isn’t better solutions, just stating what has worked for me. You are dissatisfied with your times yet throw out the launch control system that thousands of man hours were placed into. Everyone has their own technique but from what you are stating, nothing else is working. Just trying to narrow down solutions for you..
I agree with this. Launch Control may not work for everybody but there are a fair number of people who complain about it who don't know how to use it. Try it yourself and see what happens and it may surprise you.

OP: you say you do a good burnout but do you do too good of a burnout? The optimal temp for the Cup2s is 190 and I suspect the optimal temp for the PSS is less. PSS tires probably lose grip if you get them over 180 degrees tread temperature.

Bill
Old 05-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Trackhawkz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I saw a video of a Ron Fellows instructor breaking some parts doing the launch control in an M7... I have honestly been too scared to try... Should i go through with it? Or is it really only for the autos?

This scares me....^^^^

Last edited by Trackhawkz06; 05-22-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackhawkz06
I saw a video of a Ron Fellows instructor breaking some parts doing the launch control in an M7... I have honestly been too scared to try... Should i go through with it? Or is it really only for the autos?
I saw a video on YouTube (don't think it was Ron Fellows) of a guy breaking his rear end using launch control. One of the reasons I choose not to try it. Especially since I'm tuned now, warranty wouldn't cover it.

Last edited by DomLS3; 05-22-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Your driving a modified 650+ hp vehicle. When anyone races cars this powerful or more things break. It’s not if it’ll happen, it’s when. If you by chance dead hooked from a dig at say 3000-5000 rpms...things will break. Go to your local track or watch a show called street outlaws to gain a better perspective on how often cars that are raced, break.

The video didnt seem seem like a hard launch, so more than likely that part was defective before he did the LC. I prefer to gain skill by feathering the clutch, but I haven’t hesitated trying LC. I wouldn’t do LC with slicks or a tall sidewall tire in the back though.

Last edited by Cercone; 05-22-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:18 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Originally Posted by Cercone
Your driving a modified 650+ hp vehicle. When anyone races cars this powerful or more things break. It’s not if it’ll happen, it’s when. If you by chance dead hooked from a dig at say 3000-5000 rpms...things will break. Go to your local track or watch a show called street outlaws to gain a better perspective on how often cars that are raced, break.

The video didnt seem seem like a hard launch, so more than likely that part was defective before he did the LC.
Street Outlaws huh? thanks for your input.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Cercone
Racer

Originally Posted by djpelosi
Street Outlaws huh? thanks for your input.
Yep. I’ve watched guys like Birdman for years around here. I don’t anymore since they all went pro mod and my old boss Rick Cook won’t pay the money to race with them after that. But I was making a point and giving an easy example to see it. Guys who do 200mph plus in 1/8 mile don’t know anything like you. It’s relative to the video and things breaking.

Last edited by Cercone; 05-22-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:25 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Originally Posted by Cercone

Yep. I’ve watched guys like Birdman for years around here. I don’t anymore since they all went pro mod and my old boss Rick Cook won’t pay the money to race with them after that. But I was making a point and giving an easy example to see it. But your cool and guys who 200mph plus in 1/8 miles don’t know anything like you. 👍🏻
You're comparing several thousand horsepower race cars to a street car with 3 bolt on's.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:31 PM
Cercone
Racer

You're comparing several thousand horsepower race cars to a street car with 3 bolt on's.
They have purposely built parts for that type of racing, our mass production cars don’t and weigh a lot more. Not a huge stretch. Some of you guys...

Last edited by Cercone; 05-22-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:42 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Here's the video I saw:

Old 05-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackhawkz06
I saw a video of a Ron Fellows instructor breaking some parts doing the launch control in an M7... I have honestly been too scared to try... Should i go through with it?
As long as you still have your warranty, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:57 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
As long as you still have your warranty, I wouldn't worry about it.
I mean... my warranty is still valid but that's only until I break something and then they see it's been tuned and has headers and a pulley swap...

Last edited by DomLS3; 05-22-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:16 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I mean... my warranty is still valid but that's only until I break something and then they see it's been tuned and has headers and a pulley swap...
Then you probably don't have your warranty.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:57 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

My best 60ft time is 1.89s and ran an 11.3x on that run at 126mph in nasty +2600 Phoenix DA. I think the car is capable of 10.9 or 11.0 in perfect conditions with a great launch.

My time was accomplished by slipping the clutch at around 1500-2000rpm and feathering the throttle until I got traction, and then chirp it in 2nd. You can't drop the clutch on these cars...it'll just spin.

Lastly, your trap speed should be 2-4mph higher IMHO (129-131mph) with those mods. Even with the mediocre 60ft time. I think it's hard to get under 1.8s 60ft time without a well prepped track and a serious burnout, which I prefer not to do because those MPSS aren't cheap lol.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:03 PM
jabeasley1
Pro

Its funny someone mentioned Street Outlaws. Kye Kelly was here in Jacksonville NC several weeks ago and we talked quiet a bit throughout the day about my Z06. Their head-to-head event was later in the night so during the day, about 10 of us were running test and tune. Again, they have 3500HP cars and are in a different league but I can tell my Z06 had his attention.
ZoratZ06, I can't say I disagree completely with your statement about dumping the clutch and that much horsepower can/will cause spin but I can say this for a fact (at least with my set up and many runs later). I utilize launch control each time. I have 20" MT ET SS Drags on the rear and Nitto Invo's on the front. I do an extremely short burnout...2-3 seconds max as they grip really well. We pre-stage, stage, I go WOT which levels out around 3500 rpm or so, then I release the clutch. I will utilize the word DUMP the clutch. This word also gets people in a tissy...The manual states RELEASE clutch. Well I can tell you the 2-3 times I rushed my staging and did not set my launch control system correctly, releasing the clutch gradually on my botched run made a horrific screeching noise and smelled horrendous. I will stick to dumping the clutch and great runs each time.
I have a video on my phone I am trying to figure out how to upload but it shows me lifting my front wheels off the ground during launch. it makes for a cool video but does not feel that great in the car.

Gotta love this website. So many different ways to achieve the same success

Last edited by jabeasley1; 05-22-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:40 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Its funny someone mentioned Street Outlaws. Kye Kelly was here in Jacksonville NC several weeks ago and we talked quiet a bit throughout the day about my Z06. Their head-to-head event was later in the night so during the day, about 10 of us were running test and tune. Again, they have 3500HP cars and are in a different league but I can tell my Z06 had his attention.
ZoratZ06, I can't say I disagree completely with your statement about dumping the clutch and that much horsepower can/will cause spin but I can say this for a fact (at least with my set up and many runs later). I utilize launch control each time. I have 20" MT ET SS Drags on the rear and Nitto Invo's on the front. I do an extremely short burnout...2-3 seconds max as they grip really well. We pre-stage, stage, I go WOT which levels out around 3500 rpm or so, then I release the clutch. I will utilize the word DUMP the clutch. This word also gets people in a tissy...The manual states RELEASE clutch. Well I can tell you the 2-3 times I rushed my staging and did not set my launch control system correctly, releasing the clutch gradually on my botched run made a horrific screeching noise and smelled horrendous. I will stick to dumping the clutch and great runs each time.
I have a video on my phone I am trying to figure out how to upload but it shows me lifting my front wheels off the ground during launch. it makes for a cool video but does not feel that great in the car.

Gotta love this website. So many different ways to achieve the same success
You can't compare DR's to bone stock MPSS. On DR's you can do a proper burnout and get 1.5s 60ft time dumping the clutch at 5k rpm.

Heck, did you see that picture of Kyle Lemish in his ZR1 quite a few years back pulling the front tires off the ground cause he hooked so hard. DR's will do that.

Get notified of new replies

To M7 launching

Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 PM
jabeasley1
Pro

That is one of my favorite pictures... it still amazes me how well some of these
sports cars can take a punishing..
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Some questions about launching the Z, when they say 25 psi in rear tires, is that when tires are hot or cold? how about front tires how many psi?

When practicing launches, how long should you wait between launches to min the wear and tear?

also in the mornings should you wait until car is warmed up to do launches. (Not redlining just 1700 rpm launch to 20,30mph at 30,40% throttle, to about 3000, 3500 rpm) (2017 Z06 M7)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

25 psi cold in rear-fronts normal at the 1/4 mile track. The 25 psi helps the tires hook-up (not spin). As for using ACTUAL LAUNCH control, which is NOT what you are describing in your last question & heaven's sake, yes engine must be fully warmed up-especially oil. Your last question just refers to just GOOSING it. LAUNCH control is a set procedure that depends on whether you have M7 (you) or A8. That procedure is totally different. Should be in your OM or google something like "using launch control on C7 corvette". If not wanting to use the actual launch control procedure, you will just have to experiment with the rpm that gets your best takeoff w/o spinning tires excessively. Some turn off T/C-some leave it on. Just experiment because it depends on s-o-o-o many variables like, road surface, tires on car, ambient temp, & on & on. Go ahead & let it rip- these cars can take a lot of abuse.

Last edited by madrob2020; 09-17-2018 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
okaythen (09-17-2018)

Quick Reply: M7 launching