C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZO6 vs Sport Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:04 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Done it when I was on a Harley, had it done to me when I was on a sport bike, and seen it many times.

Harleys can be incredibly easy to launch well, not only because of the low center of gravity and long wheel base, but also because of the massive flywheel inertia and broad power band. Pretty hard to bog.

Dude, seriously. Just No.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:19 PM
charliebrown266
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts

This is one funny post! Z06 beating a moto gp bike, i almost fell of my chair laughing! i love my Z06 but would not stand a chance against my bike!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:33 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
Hah, looks like every one of those sportbikes is "strapped", and that some have extended swingarms. In other words, not in their stock configuration, but set up specifically for the dragtsrip. Pretty uncommon to run into bikes set up that way driving around on the street.
For those who don't know what "strapped" means, it's where the front forks are tied into a compressed position, to lower the front, lower the center of gravity, and prevent spring rebound from adding to the tendency to loft the front end on launch. The clearest view is at .54 in the video, where you can clearly see the strap running down, with the bottom end bolted to the front brake caliper.
The HD bucks hard and clearly complains if you subject it to a load under 2,000 RPM in 2nd gear or higher, and it is done making power by 5,500 RPM.
If your stock Wideglide won't pull cleanly under 2000 rpm under load, something's wrong with it. Consider taking it in and getting it fixed.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-21-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

There is nothing wrong with it. A stock Big Twin does not like to operate under a load below 2,000 RPMs.
Your photo shows a recent-year Wideglide (probably a 103"), with computer controlled fuel injection and engine management. Unless something is wrong with it, it will operate and pull just fine, from idle speed at full throttle, all the way until it hits the rpm limiter.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-21-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Hah, looks like every one of those sportbikes is "strapped", and that some have extended swingarms. In other words, not in their stock configuration, but set up specifically for the dragtsrip. Pretty uncommon to run into bikes set up that way driving around on the street.
For those who don't know what "strapped" means, it's where the front forks are tied into a compressed position, to lower the front, lower the center of gravity, and prevent spring rebound from adding to the tendency to loft the front end on launch. The clearest view is at .54 in the video, where you can clearly see the strap running down, with the bottom end bolted to the front brake caliper.

If your stock Wideglide won't pull cleanly under 2000 rpm under load, something's wrong with it. Consider taking it in and getting it fixed.

Sportbike? What is that a 400 CC? HD is the slowest bike and heaviest and has the worse performance bike out in stock form by a long ways. The HD company is dying a slow death!
My Z06 will stomp any factory HD!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1

Sportbike? What is that a 400 CC?
Which of the many sportbikes in the various videos are you referring to, and which one do you think is a 400 cc?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-21-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:35 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Which of the many sportbikes in the various videos are you referring to, and which one do you think is a 400 cc?
The little one! Very silly post you made everyone knows how slow the Harleys are and any sport bike well almost any sport bike above a 400
cc should out pace the Harley. The lack luster V twin design should have been scrapped 20 years ago.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:40 PM
Stuman45
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 33 Posts

I race motorcycles and have won several championships at several clubs around my area. I've held lap records for a couple classes at Willow springs on various motorcycles.

I consider myself to be an OK driver. I did a lot of autocross years ago and I've done a few track days in more recent times. Did the owners school last year and a few track days in my Z06.

At my home track, Chuckwalla, I'm the new racer school instructor and I've won a lot of club races and championships on bikes.

On my 2009 R1 SuperStock bike I can do 1:50 laptimes.
In my Z06/Z07 with the cup 2 tires I can do 2:09 laptimes.

So I would say the a Z06 would not stand a snowballs chance in hell keeping up with a decent rider on pretty much any sport bike.

Just for reference, the guys racing ultralightweight class bikes (Ninja 300/400, KTM RC390 etc. Bikes with about 40hp at most) can turn 1:59 lap times.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:46 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine is a 2010, 98 C.I. with computer controlled F.I. Unfortunately, what you are expecting is not what actually occurs and there is nothing wrong with it. I created THIS THREAD for you.
Sorry, but "HD Forums.com" is far from the best place to go for engine technical knowledge. Many there are still claiming that ethanol-enhanced gas will ruin your bike, and send all your progeny to hell, while most serious hot-rod enthusiasts recognize higher percentages of ethanol as one of the best things to come down the pike.

Case in point: In the thread you referenced, the term "lugging" is used. This is basically an outdated term, resurrected from the days when a combination of low rpm's and high throttle opening was likely to result in engine-destroying detonation. That's simply not the way it is anymore, with computer controls and detonation sensors

http://www.ls1.com/forums/ is a much better source of internal combustion engine technical information, should you be interested in that. (Yes, I'm also a member on both of these other forums).

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-21-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The HD company is dying a slow death!
What's your fondness for running your ignorance up the flagpole?
In 2017, Harley Davidson led the market in sales of motorcycles 601 cc and above.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:18 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

What's your fondness for running your ignorance up the flagpole?
In 2017, Harley Davidson led the market in sales of motorcycles 601 cc and above.
Right! https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...2-2017-sales/t https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...hog/487161001/

HD has been left behind but then again so have you but it matter's little the whole bike industry is down from it's peak. My liter sport bike would dust any factory Harley by a long ways. But it is for sale!
Old 05-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This is not the only GM forum I'm on. I’ve been a member of the LS1 forums for many years. I'm not sure what to tell you, I've ridden many big twins and in stock form they are not good at making power below 2k under a load.
"Sportbikes" are better at making power below 2000 rpm than most Harleys? OMG!
In your post #45, your Harley "bucks hard and clearly complains if you subject it to a load under 2,000 RPM in 2nd gear or higher". That simply won't happen on a stock 2008 or later Harley, unless something is wrong with it (aside from it being a Harley Davidson

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-21-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

On any race track, you’d have Zero chance beating or keeping up with a good driver on a decent bike. Power to weight ratio is not in your favor.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cercone
On any race track, you’d have Zero chance beating or keeping up with a good driver on a decent bike. Power to weight ratio is not in your favor.
There's a lot more going on than power-weight ratio. For example, tire contact patch, and aerodynamic downforce and drag.

A modern F1 race car produces more aerodynamic downforce than it's static weight, so theoretically, it could drive upside down on the roof of a tunnel. I'm not aware of any bike which comes anywhere close to that, or one which can pull 3.5g cornering loads. Please correct me if you can show good evidence that this is mistaken.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default dig

Actually, a dig start is where the car might have the advantage. The bike can't put all the power down without going over backwards.
That was my experience as well.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:28 PM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Formula 1 is in another world - hyperspace performance. You're talkin 4 fat footprints with huge hp and light weight. Hyperbike has 2 little footprints. Traction, braking, turning all has to happen there. Z06/ZR1 - it can be close but acceleration advantage to the bike (but not top speed). Braking and turning will be Z06 advantage with it 4 fat footprints.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:31 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

There's a lot more going on than power-weight ratio. For example, tire contact patch, and aerodynamic downforce and drag.

A modern F1 race car produces more aerodynamic downforce than it's static weight, so theoretically, it could drive upside down on the roof of a tunnel. I'm not aware of any bike which comes anywhere close to that, or one which can pull 3.5g cornering loads. Please correct me if you can show good evidence that this is mistaken.
Really...come to or near Houston. I’ll show you what the bikes around here do. I have 4-5 tracks within 2hrs of my residence, loaded with 1-1.5k hp lambos etc. Around here people Race their super cars and modify them. I really wish this was an argument, Its not. If I wasn’t only on this site from my I phone traveling on business I’d prove it to you. F1 vs hyper is one thing, a Zo6 vs hyper..lol come on bud. I’ve read a lot of your posts, your educated. The best I can do is show you. 281-785-3064 Jason. I have a couple places you can stay for free. It’ll be fun I promise. I truly wish you were accurate, then again maybe our definitions are different in this instance. Zero offense intended. I’m sure you’d beat my bike on any track in your Z, zero doubt on that. I’m not that good, more like a wuss and not bench racing.

Last edited by Cercone; 05-21-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 vs Sport Bike

Old 05-22-2018, 12:54 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Cercone

Really...come to or near Houston. I’ll show you what the bikes around here do. I have 4-5 tracks within 2hrs of my residence, loaded with 1-1.5k hp lambos etc. Around here people Race their super cars and modify them. I really wish this was an argument, Its not. If I wasn’t only on this site from my I phone traveling on business I’d prove it to you. F1 vs hyper is one thing, a Zo6 vs hyper..lol come on bud. I’ve read a lot of your posts, your educated. The best I can do is show you. 281-785-3064 Jason. I have a couple places you can stay for free. It’ll be fun I promise. I truly wish you were accurate, then again maybe our definitions are different in this instance. Zero offense intended. I’m sure you’d beat my bike on any track in your Z, zero doubt on that. I’m not that good, more like a wuss and not bench racing.
I want to come to Houston....have somewhere for me to stay for free?

And I agree, I usually agree with Warp....here, not so much
Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Interesting thread!

I agree in the fact that pretty much any halfway modern 750-1000cc sportbike will rape a C7Z in just about any capacity.... The only way I could see a C7Z being faster on a road course is if its a very tight, technical, short track....That's where the traction/grip of the C7Z will benefit... However if its a GOOD track rider on some scrubs, he'd probably still win. On any course that has any type of distance/speed, it will be serious game over for the C7Z...

I've been riding building/riding sport bikes for 20 years, about the same for building/racing corvettes....There really is just no comparison until you start getting into BIG power car stuff...

I'm pretty sure my lightly modded S1000RR would still have spanked my 900 rwhp Z06 on the highway.

I've still got these two...
Name:  lCtCwqpl.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  85.4 KB

Last edited by ajrothm; 05-22-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I said "There is no speed contest that my HD will win over my sport bike. This includes from a dig and from low RPM rolls." My sport bike is 1441cc and when I bought it new 6 years ago it was the most powerful bike available. It isn't a 600cc bike.
I'm not sure why you keep questioning me on this.
I'm not. What I was taking issue with was other things you said, such as:
The HD bucks hard and clearly complains if you subject it to a load under 2,000 RPM in 2nd gear or higher,..
I responded:
There is nothing wrong with it. A stock Big Twin does not like to operate under a load below 2,000 RPMs.
I'm not sure what to tell you, I've ridden many big twins and in stock form they are not good at making power below 2k under a load.
I disagreed with those too. Thanks for posting the dyno charts. While they don't go below 2000 rpm, what they show is that at low rpms, the Harley is making both more horsepower and more torque than the Kawasaki, and that the Kawasaki doesn't catch up until about 4000 rpm. I'm not claiming that this makes the Harley faster, only that you are misinformed about the low rpm properties of the two different types of stock engines.

Quick Reply: ZO6 vs Sport Bike