C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How far would you drive your Z06?

Old 05-19-2018, 04:47 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by ukester
2 any type of clear tastic on the front end
If you are intent on driving it, then ABSOLUTLEY you want a plastic wrap on the front.

Something you might also think about it is leaving in hotel parking lots at night may have unintended consequences.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
You have cup2 on the car so im going to guess its a track machine as well, no sense owning cup2 if you dont track.
Naw, some of the option packages come standard with these tires, as well as the ceramic brakes, and most purchasers will not be fully aware of the pluses and minuses of either.

Most trackers are either initially choosing, or switching to iron brakes, because the consumables cost is much lower, and the iron brakes work just as well in most track environments.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-19-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:59 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Naw, some of the option packages come standard with these tires, as well as the ceramic brakes, and most purchasers will not be fully aware of the pluses and minuses of either.

Most trackers are either initially choosing, or switching to iron brakes, because the consumables cost is much lower, and the iron brakes work just as well in most track environments.
​​​​​​
only the z07 comes with cup 2, and I'm aware people buy it to look cool at cars and coffee but that's a track tire.

Last edited by Pacembellum; 05-19-2018 at 05:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

We have traveled tensof thousands of miles on our harley and never had a single problem in a hotel parking lot. Take cover , park in a well lit area as close to the main entrance as possible, and ask the desk to keep an eye on it.

Drive your car, enjoy it on the backroads of America. It's not a faberge egg, it's not fragile and a rock chip isn't going to kill you.

I swear, I don't understand these owners who don't drive their cars because they are so **** it might get scratched or some miles on it. Damn these things are fun as hell.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,186 Likes on 2,136 Posts

Option 1: rent a 1 way uhaul trailer and tow it with your truck, you have a truck right?
This is definitely a good option other than shipping it.

Option 2: just drive it, its not round trip so 1200 miles once isnt that bad.
If it wasn't for the tires, and the fact that OP is very meticulous about how he drives (and the care for his car), this would be a simple choice and 90% of people would just do that, drive it. But these aren't normal cars and in this scenario, it isn't normal either.

Option 3: ship it, could get scratched, etc. For $1200.
But that could happen anywhere. That could happen multiple times during his ride home. He could stop at a gas station, go inside to use the bathroom and it could get dinged from someone parking next to it. Or he could be driving and you get those pickups who don't like our cars and speed up only to kick rocks at it.

Most transportation companies have insurance, of course depending on the car, will cost you. But i think it's worth it. That's why it's called insurance, for that "just in case" moment. I haven't shipped a car in years and when i did, it was from NJ to vegas. And it was 800 bucks. The car wasn't a nice car like the corvette, but a very basic car. And it got there perfectly.

JUst reading what the OP is saying, i think the logical, easiest way is to ship it. It will cost the most but it is worry free. Unless you wanna drive 1200 miles being paranoid lol
Old 05-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

​​​​​​
only the z07 comes with cup 2, and I'm aware people buy it to look cool at cars and coffee but that's a track tire.
Yes, I'd agree that it's a track tire (although it can also do pretty well on the street), and a pretty good track tire at that. Around the time I was buying my Z06, GM was offering around a $5000 discount for that package, so it would have been a close-to-free upgrade. Kinda glad I didn't go that route.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:29 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rbartick
You don't have to understand it. It is up to the OP to decide how he wants to use his car.

Do you have Cup 2 tires on your C7Z?
Hell no. I actually drive mine. I have driven it on ice, snow and I even drove it in the RAIN today!!! That thought alone gives half the owners here a heart attack even thinking about it.

Last edited by Mcrider; 05-19-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:47 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You don't have to understand it. It is up to the OP to decide how he wants to use his car.
Yup, most of my high-performance vehicles have been "drivers", and I haven't found that there was enough difference in the resale value between "drivers", and really temperamental or fawned-over machines, to justify the differences.

Probably the most fun I ever had was with my small-block-powered V-8 Fiero. Blew off almost everything that showed up, from Lambos, to cars that showed up on trailers, to superbikes, on the Metro Detroit street racing scene.

That car was pretty much a one-off. Would the factory Z06 be similarly competitive? I don't know, since I don't street race any more. My most recent bill for an emergency room visit was slightly north of twelve thousand dollars.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-19-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:48 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

I just checked your profile and it says you have a C6. I'm not sure why you care how others use their cars. One of those parallel universe things that happens in here.

I also ride a Harley and I'd be more comfortable leaving my HD at a campground or a hotel than I would my C7Z. I do it fairly often.

Nice scoot. We've never encountered any problems over the years. The cover is mandatory to keep most people away. We leave our trip next week so we will find out if travelingwith the vette is a problem at hotels.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:16 PM
Ducdriver
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a 6500 mile road trip last Spring, planning another this Fall. These cars are a joy to drive. Wouldn’t trade that experience for a flawless finish. Once you get a chip or a scuff, you no longer have to worry about keeping it perfect.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:25 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ducdriver
I did a 6500 mile road trip last Spring, planning another this Fall. These cars are a joy to drive. Wouldn’t trade that experience for a flawless finish. Once you get a chip or a scuff, you no longer have to worry about keeping it perfect.
Holy christ 6500 mile trip???

Cross country and back? I thought about taking my Z to vegas sometime since i have family there. I love road trips but i also want a worry free trip. Maybe i'll just take the daily driver there lol
Old 05-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

We've parked things from dragboats to Harleys to Corvettes in motel parking lots to campgrounds for decades, and nothing ever happened (knock on wood). Not that we didn't worry about it, and not that we didn't take precautions to incentivize an "easy target" thief to look elsewhere. Probably the stoutest chain I've ever used was to chain three bikes to a motel support column in Mexico.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:45 PM
Ducdriver
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Holy christ 6500 mile trip???

Cross country and back? I thought about taking my Z to vegas sometime since i have family there. I love road trips but i also want a worry free trip. Maybe i'll just take the daily driver there lol
Seattle to north central, WI, then Cleveland , Lexington KY, Atlanta, KS, Grand Junction, Moab, Salt Lake, Boise , Home.
I have comp seats and for me, like sitting in the hand of God. Every time I get in that car, I wish I was starting out on a road trip. 😊
Z0HS1CK (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 10:16 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

We just returned from a 5200 mile trip in our '16 Z06 Z07, 3LZ, A8 with competition seats. Before we left we got the new suspension download, 4 wheel alignment including rear caster and mounted PS2 super sport run flats. Montana to Texas to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and home. 21.7 m/g on the trip. We usually traveled from 300 to 500 miles per day but the last day was a killer, from Kansas City, home, 1197 miles. The weather was good, occasional showers but a real turd floater in Rapid City SD. I used Touring most of the time. Weather and a soft touch in the rain. I played with Eco, Sport and Touring with no discernible difference in gas mileage. We have clear bra on the major rock chip surfaces and I installed the GM splash guards. I see no real surface degradation. The tires are at about 6/32. My biggest highway fears are animals and truck tire carcasses. Comfort level was excellent; we could have continued.
Attached Images  

Last edited by shopteacher; 05-19-2018 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Add info
Z0HS1CK (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Mad props to those taking the Z on those really long trips. I turned down a 400 mile trip a month after i got the car because i thought it was too long lol.

And you guys are doing 5k+ lol.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:25 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

did you buy it to

1.drive it?
2.garage queen it?

its a car just drive the damned thing,its going to need tires someday,,or are you saving it for the next guy?
Mcrider (05-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 10:44 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
did you buy it to

1.drive it?
2.garage queen it?

its a car just drive the damned thing,its going to need tires someday,,or are you saving it for the next guy?
Nothing wrong with being selective on how you drive your car. Everyone is different. Some people prefer to drive 1000 miles a year. Some people do 12,000 miles a year like it's a normal car.

I don't get the whole saving it for the next guy thing. Because that doesn't change the way a particular person treats his/her car. They do whatever they're accustomed to when driving their toys.

The next guy wouldn't even know the difference if it was babied or beaten anyway.

Btw, i do about 4500-5000 miles a year lol.

Get notified of new replies

To How far would you drive your Z06?

Old 05-19-2018, 11:51 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

If you enjoy driving...and mileage doesn't bother you, drive it! It's a very comfortable driver...and has no issues on long drives, except speeding tickets perhaps...
Old 05-20-2018, 03:49 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Get track wrap and add it where hits occur.

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/

Last edited by djnice; 05-20-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:47 AM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ukester
Question is driving this from Wisconsin to its new home in Florida apprx 1210 miles-has the cup2 tires on it which may be a concern-car has less than 4000 miles on a 2016-road rash i have installed larger gm mud flaps then 3/4 side skirts and drive this like a baby{i drive around a pebble in the road}and I see where stones hit the rear brake vents and above. Enclosed transportation costs are around 1200 and above and with that you still wonder about your car.

What if any would you do if you were to make this drive
1 change tires and then what tires would you install
2 any type of clear tastic on the front end
Or ???

Thanks
Mark
There is a temporary wrap that goes on the front for track use. I think expel makes it. Very reasonably priced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How far would you drive your Z06?