C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

We might be getting a "high wing" Z06 or GS...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:17 AM
nightmel
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If it is a more dedicated track version, there are those that are already good enough to push their current Z06s to the point of overheating. I would think that this one with the wing could be pushed harder through the twisties. Maybe this has the fix for the overheating issue that the track guys need?

Last edited by nightmel; 05-22-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:31 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Ford has 7 liter DOHC engine slated for 2019 Raptor, top shelf F-150, other large trucks with the occasional rumor for special Mustang yet to be mentioned. Rumors of Dodge 426 Hemi have surfaced occasionally as well, most likely for trucks as well but it has been mentioned for special edition Challenger. Talk of any large cube DOHC powerplant from GM has strangely been non existent as far as I know. Could the trademarked L88 still be a possibility?
Good ol GM always seem to have a trick or two up their sleeves. I'm sure if that L88 ever surfaces, we all will be grinning from ear to ear!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by G fix needy
Chevy performance sells assembled, "production", CNC ported heads, for the LS7 that are "capable of more than 600 hp", hmmm......LT7?
Dude... I was just thinking of the possibility of a LS7 return with revised heads.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 AM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Since there is no bulging ZR1-type hood on it, I suspect this is an NA.
Possibly the LT1 or some unknown engine.

Also, after examining it closely, IMO this looks like a fully-formed model...notice the Corvette flag logos front and rear are missing (weight savings?).
We should expect an announcement very soon.
It definitely has the standard Stingray hood, not the ZR1 or even the Z06 hood so they definitely couldn't fit anything with a blower in it. I wonder if this is to commemorate something for the Corvette Racing team? Perhaps their 100th win at Lime Rock in 2016, and the orange is a way to troll BMW for their "Lime Rock Edition" M3 from a few years ago
Old 05-22-2018, 12:00 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Maybe I missed something obvious but why is this car assumed to be ZO6 related rather than GS related? If built primarily for track use a supercharged engine would likely be outfitted with front end similar to ZR1 style front fascia to accommodate enhanced cooling. Bodywork in photos seems more likely of GS variant with NA motor. GM succeeded stirring the imagination cruising with windows down and orange roll bar in plain view along with orange high wing and red tow hooks.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Oddball car. It has parts from 3 different modes. Wonder what's going on in the Chevy garage.

Side note: The wing and its decreased drag should reduce engine workload(and heat) versus the lip spoiler while increasing high speed acceleration and downforce. The LT4 works extremely hard vs drag on the Stage III cars as many of you well know.

If I were a Stage II owner that did some occasional racing whether drag or road racing or I might consider finding a way to put on the ZR1 low wing.

Last edited by Kappa; 05-22-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:08 PM
nightmel
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe I missed something obvious but why is this car assumed to be ZO6 related rather than GS related? If built primarily for track use a supercharged engine would likely be outfitted with front end similar to ZR1 style front fascia to accommodate enhanced cooling. Bodywork in photos seems more likely of GS variant with NA motor. GM succeeded stirring the imagination cruising with windows down and orange roll bar in plain view along with orange high wing and red tow hooks.
It's probably the wheels and Z06 fender inserts (badging) that's throwing everyone off. But with other model parts, who knows what it is!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:23 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

If one goes round a fast, blind, downhill, off camber corner at speed, one might think otherwise also.
I was at this years Silver State Classic in Fort Stockton this year. Plenty FAST blind downhill corners (90 mile course) and didn’t see any of the stupid looking wings on a Vette - not even in the 212 MPH class!
In all honesty - there were maybe 4 cars in total that had a huge wing on the back - none were corvettes and most of the big wings I saw were on cars in the 170 or class - go figure!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:42 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Could we see an N/A Z06X....again...GM has my hopes very high...but i'm sure I'll be disappointed. Many insiders swore and claimed information existed that the Z28 Camaro would debut with an N/A engine, and recent spy photos have located a ZL1, without aero and carbon brakes on it...meaning there COULD be a Z28 with an NA engine on the horizon and no one to share it with....unless big wing Z06x needs it!
We could always just build you a 1 of 1.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Ford has 7 liter DOHC engine slated for 2019 Raptor, top shelf F-150, other large trucks with the occasional rumor for special Mustang yet to be mentioned. Rumors of Dodge 426 Hemi have surfaced occasionally as well, most likely for trucks as well but it has been mentioned for special edition Challenger. Talk of any large cube DOHC powerplant from GM has strangely been non existent as far as I know.
There has been talk of an overhead cam engine in the C8, but not necessarily large displacement. The pushrod engine is a pretty compact package, better fitting into a "forward engine" configuration. If GM goes for a mid-rear engine placement, other options will be available.

Large displacement engines don't benefit as much from high rpm's as smaller displacement engines. There are showroom-stock smaller motorcycle engines which rev 12 to 16,000 rpm, with a factory warranty.

With larger displacement engines (including a longer stroke), piston speed may be the limiting factor, for reasonable longevity. Oil films can do some funny things, when surface speeds go beyond a certain point.

One of the early discoveries was that the colder cylinders in an engine had increased wear, compared to cylinders in the same engine, under the same operating conditions, which operated at higher temperatures due to variances in coolant flow.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
We could always just build you a 1 of 1.

That car reminds me of the Bill Cosby skit 200MPH. If you haven't heard it, definitely check it out!

Old 05-22-2018, 02:53 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I wonder how many of the people bitching about the wing have Z06s (or any other model) that are only ever used for low speed Sunday cruising?
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
thinking the samething
+1
Old 05-22-2018, 04:12 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate
+1
I agree +2, likely some aren't racing fans that have never seen a wing except on 1980's import. It's odd how some get emotionally charged with negative opinions regarding functional wings.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:35 PM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander

I was at this years Silver State Classic in Fort Stockton this year. Plenty FAST blind downhill corners (90 mile course) and didn’t see any of the stupid looking wings on a Vette - not even in the 212 MPH class!
In all honesty - there were maybe 4 cars in total that had a huge wing on the back - none were corvettes and most of the big wings I saw were on cars in the 170 or class - go figure!
If the "track" is a closed 90 mile public highway with mostly straight roads, & the car has enough power to post an average speed of 212 mph, the big wing would create too much drag. As in Formula 1, less aero would give a higher average speed even if the car had to be slowed more in the corners. Most HPDE events are on a road course & not even a ZR1 will get close to 212 mph, but good aero WILL allow higher cornering speeds in fast corners, with lower lap times. A speed limit was imposed at the 'Ring a few years back after a car literally took off & crashed, killing a spectator, & there have been a few fatalities at the Silver State classic.

Last edited by G fix needy; 05-22-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:22 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
. I wonder if this is to commemorate something for the Corvette Racing team?
Not bad.
It does have cues from the C7.R.

If built primarily for track use a supercharged engine would likely be outfitted with front end similar to ZR1 style front fascia to accommodate enhanced cooling. Bodywork in photos seems more likely of GS variant with NA motor.

GM succeeded stirring the imagination cruising with windows down and orange roll bar in plain view along with orange high wing and red tow hooks.
That's what made me suspicious.
Much more work than would be done on a mule.

likely some aren't racing fans that have never seen a wing except on 1980's import. It's odd how some get emotionally charged with negative opinions regarding functional wings.
It is strange.
OTOH, it doesn't surprise me if a lot of owners don't know a thing about professional racing.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,987 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Why is no one talking about the way cool FLAT paint finish?

The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 06:00 PM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Why is no one talking about the way cool FLAT paint finish?
Primer coat only? Or an "art Corvette", as BMW did in the past with a few cars, on it's way to the artist?

Last edited by G fix needy; 05-22-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To We might be getting a "high wing" Z06 or GS...

Old 05-22-2018, 09:38 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sunsalem
.....it doesn't surprise me if a lot of owners don't know a thing about professional racing.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:20 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Primer coat only? Or an "art Corvette", as BMW did in the past with a few cars, on it's way to the artist?
That's gotta be it.
Notice the stick-on logos are off.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:48 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I think the issue is, the GS didn't even get the stage 3 aero of the Z06 because Tadge and company said the car just didn't have the power to push through the drag. Granted, the wing is more drag efficient than the spoiler would be but, it likely equals the drag factor just with higher downforce. For that reason, I suspect the issue still applies with the LT1 lacking quite a bit of enough stank to really make use of bigger aero.

We could see something come outa left field here because the side vents without badge, the wheels, etc are all Z06

Is C7 going to pull off a version JUST FOR ME, late in the 7th-8th inning here!?!?!?

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 05-22-2018 at 10:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CPhelps (05-23-2018)

Quick Reply: We might be getting a "high wing" Z06 or GS...