C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZR1 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
You should assume that he is correct because he is. . . .
Thomasmoto,

I've waited a while to respond to your post and was not even sure that I'd answer at all, due to the tone of your post, which I consider, at minimum, discourteous. When I said that I notice no change in sound level, that is exactly what I mean and what I am experiencing. Your car may act differently, and I cannot--nor would I--dispute your experience, anymore than you can or should dispute mine.

Nuff said. I'm done with the issue.

Montana Bob
Old 05-23-2018, 09:08 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MontanaBob
Thomasmoto,

I've waited a while to respond to your post and was not even sure that I'd answer at all, due to the tone of your post, which I consider, at minimum, discourteous. When I said that I notice no change in sound level, that is exactly what I mean and what I am experiencing. Your car may act differently, and I cannot--nor would I--dispute your experience, anymore than you can or should dispute mine.

Nuff said. I'm done with the issue.

Montana Bob
Montana Bob, based on all the reading I've done on this site and others, the only way to ensure flaps are open at all times under all circumstances is to pull fuse #42 (87 I believe on the new ones). The difference in sound may not be perceptible to you, however the flaps are designed to work in accordance with RPM's on the car--I suppose to pass noise by-laws?? (don't quote me on that!). If you truly want them open 100% of the time pull the fuse. If you don't want to keep pulling/replacing the fuse to retain flexibility of stealth mode, you can install a Mild to Wild and switch between stealth and true wide open at the press of a button. Hope this helps.

Last edited by lupicon; 05-23-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:07 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Looks like my thread has somehow morphed into the fuse pulling debate that's been had on this forum many times over the years. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for at least one member here to get off his *** and install a ZR1 exhaust on his Z06 so we can see if there's any difference in the sound.
The following 3 users liked this post by BMadden:
DavidC83 (05-24-2018), lupicon (05-23-2018), ScGRaceR (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:08 AM
ScGRaceR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
Looks like my thread has somehow morphed into the fuse pulling debate that's been had on this forum many times over the years. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for at least one member here to get off his *** and install a ZR1 exhaust on his Z06 so we can see if there's any difference in the sound.

just wait to see what FYREANT is sniffing around to do lol
Old 05-24-2018, 08:00 AM
DavidC83
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I think one can equal or exceed the ZR1 sound level with just an x pipe!

I'm only guessing here but I think that would be much cheaper and easier to do. X pipe swap is chocolate cake.

Last edited by DavidC83; 05-24-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Do you get the "pops and crackles" on downshifts when adding the X-pipe to a stock exhaust? If so, would that apply to both Borla and Corsa pipes?
The following users liked this post:
DavidC83 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 11:25 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

3dgrey,

As I've mentioned a couple of times, my car is a "bone stock" 2018 Z06/Z07 3LZ. It happens to be a coupe, which, according to several other threads bemoaning excessive noise in the cabin, I can't believe that I wouldn't notice the valves closing, even briefly, particularly if the exhaust sound suddenly changes from quiet to loud, or the reverse. That, in my opinion, would be very noticeable. One other item of note, mine is a very early model 2018, number 12, to be exact, but has been in the dealership a number of times providing many opportunities for the ECM to have been updated. Although, it is totally unrelated, I've had the MRC upgraded also.

FWIW, for the life of me, I cannot understand why someone would want to be mucking around in the fuse panel when the same results can be accomplished by changing a few settings in the DIC without leaving the drivers seat, but "whatever turns yer crank", as goes the ole saw!

Montana Bob

Wow.

Just not getting it, are ya?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:41 PM
DavidC83
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you get the "pops and crackles" on downshifts when adding the X-pipe to a stock exhaust? If so, would that apply to both Borla and Corsa pipes?

I went with the Borla X and yes, the exhaust is much more "crispy" so to speak. With my car being an A8, Its not near as pronounced, but when I'm in M, and paddle shift down to a stop light it sounds really good. Its not obnoxious but one or two pops per gear as it winds down.

I couldn't speak for the Corsa as I've never heard one in person, but the Borla Improves the factory sound 100% without going to the point of no return on sound levels. Reviews state the Corsa is just as good and some prefer it's sound to the Borla.

cheers!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Aftermarket headers such as ARH are the ticket for better tuned sounding sounds
and the base for your HP mods.
I would do that before I messed with the ZR1 exhaust on a Z06.
My header car sounds 100 percent better than my non header car but not very much louder than the stock exhaust

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 05-24-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:27 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Wow.

Just not getting it, are ya?
I'm not getting it?!?!? I took the time to verify all of DIC settings, formulated a detailed post providing the instructions as to how to accomplish the results which the OP was seeking, then explained myself every way from Sunday to the doubters . . . and now it's me that's "not getting it"? Why don't you just walk out to your car, (assuming that it's the same model as is mine), follow my instructions and drive the damned thing before flapping your jaw at me? Geeeeeess!!!

Montana Bob

Last edited by MontanaBob; 05-24-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:20 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Well, to those who indicated that I was totally wrong about this, including ZenicaPA, who said that I "just don't get it", I suggest that you read message #7, written by Bill Dearborn, in the following message group:

For those who choose not to read the foregoing, I quote from the Service Manual as displayed in the aforementioned message:

"4. Track Mode: Exhaust tailpipe valves are open at all times. See note above."
(Emphasis by underlining is mine.)

The note states the following:

"You may notice an exhaust tone change due to the AFM system activation. Review the cylinder deactivation exhaust flow control system operations for additional details."

By virtue of the above, I feel vindicated. All apologies greatfully accepted.

So, if you want to experience the "pops and crackles", save your money on exhaust system component replacement by following my instructions.

Montana Bob

Last edited by MontanaBob; 06-20-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not getting it?!?!? I took the time to verify all of DIC settings, formulated a detailed post providing the instructions as to how to accomplish the results which the OP was seeking, then explained myself every way from Sunday to the doubters . . . and now it's me that's "not getting it"? Why don't you just walk out to your car, (assuming that it's the same model as is mine), follow my instructions and drive the damned thing before flapping your jaw at me? Geeeeeess!!!

Montana Bob
MontanaBob, May I call you Bob? Yes? Good.

My dear Bob I made that change in the settings the day I got back from Spring Mountain but as you have been told, the flaps/valves do partially close under anything but aggressive acceleration.
My ears tell me so because like you, I adore that sound and when it is absent I am acutely aware.

Even when in M and using the paddles, if I move to a higher gear and drive "nice", the music stops.

To that end I posit your summation is in fact, in error.

EDIT:
My Vette is a Z06 Z07 A8

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 06-20-2018 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgrey
You know the ZL1'S do the same thing. Noisy little monsters! wonder why the ZO6's are toned down.
the zl1 cracks and pops when you decelerate and let off the gas. The z06 is much louder when the gas pedal is mashed down to the floor
Old 06-20-2018, 10:53 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

MontanaBob, May I call you Bob? Yes? Good.

My dear Bob I made that change in the settings the day I got back from Spring Mountain but as you have been told, the flaps/valves do partially close under anything but aggressive acceleration.
My ears tell me so because like you, I adore that sound and when it is absent I am acutely aware.

Even when in M and using the paddles, if I move to a higher gear and drive "nice", the music stops.

To that end I posit your summation is in fact, in error.

EDIT:
My Vette is a Z06 Z07 A8
ZenicaPA,

Yes, you may call me Bob.

You obviously did not read the Note, which clearly states that any change in exhaust note, which you are experiencing, is the result of the AFM system activation, conversely, not due to the NPP valve system valves opening or closing. So, I am not in error!

Montana Bob

Last edited by MontanaBob; 06-20-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

ZenicaPA,

Yes, you may call me Bob.

You obviously did not read the Note, which clearly states that any change in exhaust note, which you are experiencing, is the result of the AFM system activation, conversely, not due to the NPP valve system. So, I am not in error!

Montana Bob
Bob,

How you are wrong is that your advise will not produce the result you purport and you provided the very explanation of why, AFM.

I don't care what machination is in play, the sound is toned down and the pops are gone. I have not removed the fuse so I don't know
if the pops will be there 100% of the time or not but your method is not going to keep the pops, thus you are in error.

As I said, I made this change after the Spring Mountain trip, it does not produce the desired effect all the time.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:42 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Bob,

How you are wrong is that your advise will not produce the result you purport and you provided the very explanation of why, AFM.

I don't care what machination is in play, the sound is toned down and the pops are gone. I have not removed the fuse so I don't know
if the pops will be there 100% of the time or not but your method is not going to keep the pops, thus you are in error.

As I said, I made this change after the Spring Mountain trip, it does not produce the desired effect all the time.
ZenicaPA,

So what we have here is a proverbial "Mexican standoff". (No dis intended.) There is no way that you are going to convince me and you, likewise, cannot be convinced, but I'll try one more time.

You indicate that you are experiencing a reduction of exhaust noise at a reduced throttle application, and although, I do no not hear any change, I can't refute that which you experience, any more than you can refute that which I experience. I am certain that you will agree that the level of sound emmitted from a wide open exhaust system on a vehicle sans any computer controls at all, is going to go quiet at low throttle opening merely due the reduction in the volume, (amount, not sound level), of exhaust gases. In the old days of carburetors and glass-pack mufflers, we used to sneak by the cops by going slowly past them at a constant low RPM so as to keep the exhaust noise at an absolute minimum.

So, as I said, screwing around with the NPP system, or exhaust system components themselves, will have no affect, as the reduction is exhaust sound level is due to the AFM system activation, and by omission in the note, not as a result of the NPP system . . . as very clearly stated in the GM Service Manual.

Sooooooo, in my opinion, it is you who is in error! We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Montana Bob

Last edited by MontanaBob; 06-20-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:51 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Bob,

Ordinarily I'd agree, lower engine output will result in lower exhaust notes. However, this reduction in the sound output in not aligned with the RPM. Point in fact, it drops off as if a switch has been turned or a ....flap closed.
It goes from (and I'm guessing for illustrative purposes) 40 decibels to 10 decibels. Tap the throttle and you will have your 40 dB again. I've triple checked the settings and the exhaust is set to track mode all the time.

Agree to disagree is all we can do.

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 06-20-2018 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Exhaust

Old 06-21-2018, 12:10 AM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Bob,

Ordinarily I'd agree, lower engine output will result in lower exhaust notes. However, this reduction in the sound output in not aligned with the RPM. Point in fact, it drops off as if a switch has been turned or a ....flap closed.
It goes from (and I'm guessing for illustrative purposes) 40 decibels to 10 decibels. Tap the throttle and you will have your 40 dB again. I've triple checked the settings and the exhaust is set to track mode all the time.

Agree to disagree is all we can do.
ZenicaPA,

You realize, of course, that your stated position runs contrary to that indicated in the GM Service Manual.

Montana Bob
Old 06-21-2018, 06:24 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

One of the things I truly love about the new ZR1 is the exhaust sound. It has the "pops and crackles" on downshifts like my Jaguar F-Type and it just sounds meaner than the stock exhaust on my Z06. I'm wondering if there will be any way to put a ZR1 exhaust on the Z06 or is this system designed to where it will only fit the ZR1. Any info would be appreciated.
what about the fire coming out the pipes on the zr1? That’s a cool feature of the zr1. Kind of like junior high school kids lighting farts. Now that’s a reason to slap on different pipes on the ***-end of a z06!

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-21-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:15 AM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default 4 cylinder delete

Originally Posted by Ned4Sped
This is neat! I have not tried this particular fuse pull as of yet. I have pulled, I believe fuse #42, and notice a remarkable difference; however, #42 only keeps the last exhaust gates open. Therefore you can here when the vic goes to 4 cyl mode. I will have to try it out.
I believe that while in Manual Auto mode, the 4 cylinder mode will not engage. I use it all of the time

Quick Reply: ZR1 Exhaust