C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New Z06 owner, should I install the secondary radiator before my first track day?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Cirrusdriver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z06 owner, should I install the secondary radiator before my first track day?

I just purchased a 2015 Z06/Z07 M7 for track duty. I live in Wisconsin where it is rarely above 90 F. I’m taking the car into the dealer for the track setup, oil and brake fluid change, etc. Should I have them install the secondary radiator right away or try it without? They quoted $900 for the part and 3 hours labor. Thoughts?

Last edited by Cirrusdriver; 05-22-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:22 PM
WhiteZ07
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrusdriver
I just purchased a 2015 Z06/Z07 M7 for track duty. I live in Wisconsin where it is rarely above 90 F. I’m taking the car into the dealer for the track setup, oil and brake fluid change, etc. Should I have them install the secondary radiator right away or try it without? They quoted $900 for the part and 3 hours labor. Thoughts?
I’m wondering the same thing as I have a 15 z07 and this will be my first summer with it.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:24 PM
WhiteSands
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

What’s your experience level at the track
(How hard will you be pushing the car?)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:59 AM
gymdoc
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

It doesn't happen to every tracked car.. Track it first.. there are many variables. If you overheat then consider the upgrades..
Old 05-23-2018, 05:56 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteSands
What’s your experience level at the track
(How hard will you be pushing the car?)
This is prob the biggest variable. If it isn't going to hurt ($ wise), and the cars going to be in the shop anyway, Id do it for nothing more than piece of mind.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:08 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Absolutely do it. Unless this is a sporadic track day and you just toodle around the track, you will quickly gain confidence and push the car harder. I have a 2016 and added the aux radiator. Even with it, I can see 220 water and 280 oil during hot laps in 85F weather. That 220 water is due to the aux radiator and keeps the oil temps at 280. Without the radiator I'm sure the water temps would be in the 230-240 range and the oil would be touching 300 (issues). As you're in WI, I assume you're driving Road America. The long straights at full power will get the Z06 hot pretty quickly.

It's a pretty easy install and works well. Definitely do it. I figure that a track day costs anywhere from $500-$1500 depending on your insurance and lodging as well. Is it worth ending a track day early or severely hampering it due to overheats? Aux radiator is a no brainer.

Last edited by spearfish25; 05-23-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:37 AM
shizon'00
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

For the relatively low price of the aux radiator, I'd do it (and did). It's cheap insurance.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Cirrusdriver
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I will probably just go ahead with it. I will be driving in the advanced group at Road America. It’s probably best to not worry about it.

Ben
Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 AM
Cirrusdriver
Intermediate

The other option I was considering was the MRC update. They quoted $500 for install with labor. It seems a bit pricey, is it worth it?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 AM
davester
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

I track my 2015 M7 4-5 weekends per year when temps are 80-90 degrees (I can't see roasting my butt on 100 degree days so I just avoid them for my own comfort level). In three years I have never seen a heat related issue with the stock cooling set up. My last event in 80 degree weather showed 226 water and 270 oil at end of 20 minute session. I drive the car hard in the most advanced groups. Personally I would put the extra money toward track day fees and do the mod if issues occur. If I was going to add cooling I would go all the way and have the additional front bumper vents added along with the extra radiators.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I added the Secondary Radiator to my 15Z before I took it to the track. On mid 90 degree days I see mid 220s coolant temps and mid 270s oil temps. GM says the temp reduction provided by the Secondary Radiator is about 14 degrees. Based on that statement I probably didn't need to invest in the radiator as I would be running around 240 coolant and 290 oil which are still well below the over heat point where the car goes into limp home mode.

The dealer doesn't understand the pricing on the MRC update. The price is $350 including tax and their labor. They have a code they charge the labor to. They need to talk to GM and to read the information GM has provided. If they won't do it for the proper charge there are plenty of other dealers who will do so. When talking to them make sure you present them with the proper GM documents so you don't get into an argument with a service writer who can't figure out how to use his computer.

From the bulletin:
When reprogramming the MR suspension control module, please call Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) at (1-800-
828-6860). The TCSC will provide programming requirements and instructions as well as a Vehicle Configuration Index (VCI).
The VCI is valid for one specific Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). When calling TCSC to obtain a VCI number, please insure the specific vehicle VIN is on hand. TCSC will bill the dealership directly for the calibration. Installation of the calibration will be done at no cost to the customer, the calibration download and installation is to be charged to labor OP 0602448.

I am attaching the bulletin that had the part numbers used to update my 2015. However, GM just loves rolling part numbers for some reason so I believe these have already changed and the dealership has to talk to the TCSC about the current part number.

Bill
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-23-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Cirrusdriver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I added the Secondary Radiator to my 15Z before I took it to the track. On mid 90 degree days I see mid 220s coolant temps and mid 270s oil temps. GM says the temp reduction provided by the Secondary Radiator is about 14 degrees. Based on that statement I probably didn't need to invest in the radiator as I would be running around 240 coolant and 290 oil which are still well below the over heat point where the car goes into limp home mode.

The dealer doesn't understand the pricing on the MRC update. The price is $350 including tax and their labor. They have a code they charge the labor to. They need to talk to GM and to read the information GM has provided. If they won't do it for the proper charge there are plenty of other dealers who will do so. When talking to them make sure you present them with the proper GM documents so you don't get into an argument with a service writer who can't figure out how to use his computer.

From the bulletin:
When reprogramming the MR suspension control module, please call Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) at (1-800-
828-6860). The TCSC will provide programming requirements and instructions as well as a Vehicle Configuration Index (VCI).
The VCI is valid for one specific Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). When calling TCSC to obtain a VCI number, please insure the specific vehicle VIN is on hand. TCSC will bill the dealership directly for the calibration. Installation of the calibration will be done at no cost to the customer, the calibration download and installation is to be charged to labor OP 0602448.

I am attaching the bulletin that had the part numbers used to update my 2015. However, GM just loves rolling part numbers for some reason so I believe these have already changed and the dealership has to talk to the TCSC about the current part number.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I have enjoyed reading some of your posts. I believe oil starts to breakdown after 275 degrees so I will put the secondary radiator on just to play it safe.

I have tried to convince the dealer about the $350. He said they just recently changed the price. He doubled checked with TCSC again and they confirmed this. Either way he agreed to take $200 off of the total bill if I did everything together which gets it in the right price range. Did you notice any difference after the update? Was it worth the hassle?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Cirrusdriver
Intermediate

From the bulletin:

Bill
Thanks Bill, I have enjoyed reading some of your posts. I believe oil starts to breakdown after 275 degrees so I will put the secondary radiator on just to play it safe.

I have tried to convince the dealer about the $350. He said they just recently changed the price. He doubled checked with TCSC again and they confirmed this. Either way he agreed to take $200 off of the total bill if I did everything together which gets it in the right price range. Did you notice any difference after the update? Was it worth the hassle?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrusdriver

I believe it is helping. The ride is definitely less harsh when driving on the street. All of those pavement cracks, small bumps, etc don't jar you as much. On track at VIR I have dropped my best lap time by over a second although that could have been improved driving skill.

When the dealer does your track setup are they going to make sure your rear caster is set properly?

Bill
Old 05-23-2018, 10:40 AM
Cirrusdriver
Intermediate

I believe it is helping. The ride is definitely less harsh when driving on the street. All of those pavement cracks, small bumps, etc don't jar you as much. On track at VIR I have dropped my best lap time by over a second although that could have been improved driving skill.

When the dealer does your track setup are they going to make sure your rear caster is set properly?

Bill
Ok, what rear caster setting are you using for VIR? It's a pretty similar track to Road America. I also am wondering how bad the car is on the street with the tracks settings. Of course the dealer recommended not running the settings for street driving. I assume you just leave yours setup for the track while driving on the street? Im mainly concerned about the car having a tendency to tramline.

Last edited by Cirrusdriver; 05-23-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Z06 owner, should I install the secondary radiator before my first track day?

Quick Reply: New Z06 owner, should I install the secondary radiator before my first track day?