C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

AP big brake kit

Old 06-01-2018, 08:52 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts
Default AP big brake kit

This is a question for anyone that's installed the kit. I'm installing front and rear. Did you leave the wheel blockers, if you had them, in place or did you remove or alter them. I do have the original shields that were there as well. Here's a photo.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:58 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Herman,

Curious and not addressing your question but I thought you were running 18" wheels? Wheel blockers don't fit with my 18's.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 06-01-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:17 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Nah I'm still running oem rims. I went with the 390mm kit that's not out yet so 18's won't work anyway. Hopefully I don't regret that down the road. I love the cups and I just wore out my first set.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:10 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Herman,

Curious and not addressing your question but I thought you were running 18" wheels? Wheel blockers don't fit with my 18's.

Rick
Disappointed to hear that 18’s won’t fit. Just traded my 13 GS for a 17 Z and was going to run 18/19 from the GS for track duty.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:12 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
Disappointed to hear that 18’s won’t fit. Just traded my 13 GS for a 17 Z and was going to run 18/19 from the GS for track duty.
They won't fit with the wheel blockers but you can take them off easily. The big brake kit also works with 18's unless you get the 390mm discs which you won't need on a GS.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:15 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 479 Posts

How bad is the brake line change? I read somewhere the retainer clips are a bitch.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:41 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

UPS didn't get here until 4:30 so I'll get started on it in the morning. Hopefully they won't be too bad. I'm draining the SRF and putting AP R3 fluid in it as well. The photo shows my caliper after 4 sessions on Tuesday. We didn't push hard because the track was wet and I was on the Pss's. Fluid keeps seeping out of the bleeders. I'm thinking maybe the SRF had something to do with it after reading other threads on here. I'll post back when I'm done.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:30 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
UPS didn't get here until 4:30 so I'll get started on it in the morning. Hopefully they won't be too bad. I'm draining the SRF and putting AP R3 fluid in it as well. The photo shows my caliper after 4 sessions on Tuesday. We didn't push hard because the track was wet and I was on the Pss's. Fluid keeps seeping out of the bleeders. I'm thinking maybe the SRF had something to do with it after reading other threads on here. I'll post back when I'm done.
At least your calipers are still yellow, mine have turned brown.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:32 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fmcokc
Yeah I don't think my problems are heat related. When they are clean they look new. They just leak fluid from the bleeders. I'm afraid I'll end up in a tire wall or worse if I don't fix that so that's why I'm switching. I may not be able to work on it this weekend after all but I will still post back once I get it all done.
Herman
Old 06-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I fitted the wheel blockers on my 2017 with the AP Racing kit without issue. Then I realized my 18" wheels wouldn't fit so I had to remove them. The question though is since you're running the bigger 390mm rotors I would expect the blocker rings to actually block part of the rotor on the inside. I think I'd just leave them off.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:07 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I fitted the wheel blockers on my 2017 with the AP Racing kit without issue. Then I realized my 18" wheels wouldn't fit so I had to remove them. The question though is since you're running the bigger 390mm rotors I would expect the blocker rings to actually block part of the rotor on the inside. I think I'd just leave them off.
Thanks Sean. I think I'm just going to trial fit and see what it looks like. If it's blocking the rotor I know that's not going to work well. I'm worried about cooking the ball joints if I take it off completely.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:10 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Thanks Sean. I think I'm just going to trial fit and see what it looks like. If it's blocking the rotor I know that's not going to work well. I'm worried about cooking the ball joints if I take it off completely.
Do you still have the original deflector behind the rotor? I thought that blocked the ball joint. I did end up burning out a lower ball joint on one side of my 2015. Dealer replaced under warranty
Old 06-01-2018, 09:15 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Do you still have the original deflector behind the rotor? I thought that blocked the ball joint. I did end up burning out a lower ball joint on one side of my 2015. Dealer replaced under warranty
I've got them packed away in the garage but it shouldn't be hard to find them. I think the ccb rotors are 394mm so the blockers might fit fine. I'd probably rather replace a ball joint than let the dealer try.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:24 PM
mallett435
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
How bad is the brake line change? I read somewhere the retainer clips are a bitch.
Bad! Essex tech told me the Spiegler lines on a C7 were the most difficult they've installed. I took that as a challenge. It took me 8 hours to do 4 Brake lines, add front AP Kit, and do fluid change. I'd say 4 hours was spent on the 4 retainer clips. I was determined to get them on the correct way.

There is not an easy solution other than trial and error. By the 4th one, I still didn't have a trick to get them on faster. I used a small handheld vice, which helped clamp it with the bracket secured. Initially getting it in position I needed the bracket loose and using a small mirror to see what I was doing. Driver side has more room to maneuver, so I would start there.
​​​​
Old 06-01-2018, 09:30 PM
mallett435
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I've got them packed away in the garage but it shouldn't be hard to find them. I think the ccb rotors are 394mm so the blockers might fit fine. I'd probably rather replace a ball joint than let the dealer try.
The blockers were only designed for the OEM steel rotors. They say not to use them for CCBs. Not sure if it's because they don't fit or worried about the CCB rotor surface potentially being damaged. I run the wheel blockers with AP kit, 372 rotors, which is the same as OEM steel size. It sounds like you have the right plan and test fit. Let us know if it works.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:45 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mallett435
The blockers were only designed for the OEM steel rotors. They say not to use them for CCBs. Not sure if it's because they don't fit or worried about the CCB rotor surface potentially being damaged. I run the wheel blockers with AP kit, 372 rotors, which is the same as OEM steel size. It sounds like you have the right plan and test fit. Let us know if it works.
Will do. Sounds like the brake lines are going to be fun
Old 06-01-2018, 10:41 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 479 Posts

I looked at the hardline connection for the brake lines. That chore looks nauseating.

I'm not convinced the wheel blockers do anything. They mostly catch on my wheels when i pull them off and one pulled off a wheel weight. I'd leave them off.

Get notified of new replies

To AP big brake kit

Old 06-01-2018, 10:56 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by spearfish25
I looked at the hardline connection for the brake lines. That chore looks nauseating.
Has anyone measured the out to see if the lines actually need to be replaced with this kit? Or can the OEM lines actually reach the mounting points on the AP calipers? It might save ya'all a bunch of trouble.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:05 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Not sure the stock lines will fit. The big problem is the stock lines have a captured fit where they fasten to the cradle. The aftermarket lines have a round end that sort of fits the oval shape in the stock mount and move around a lot while trying to tighten them. I found it easier to remove the a bunch of stuff around the bracket including the wheel position sensor so I could get my hands and tools into the space to make it easier to tighten the lines and clamp them to the bracket. Rears were easier than the fronts.

Bill
Old 06-02-2018, 09:09 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fmcokc
I put the blockers and the additional ducts on mine. That may be why they aren't discolored. Do you have the ducts and blockers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AP big brake kit