C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

More rust under driver seat-2018 Z06, 718 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 05:35 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,987 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Ummm. No. You are not obsessive. That is not right. Something is amiss. Was this possibly left outside with the top off at some point? I would not be pleased either...and will be looking at the underside of my Seats soon.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:45 PM
007FJ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it back even if it was a company truck being that new. Whatever the reason is irrelevant they owe it to you to fix that BS. It shouldn't be like that after a couple of years unless it was a beach cruiser. A new Vette is not even a question on them replacing the frame and motors at the minimum in my opinion. Bottom of my '99 Formula seats look equal to or better than that and I live south of Houston.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:46 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Ggpz06
the undercarriage looks great, passenger side seats have no visible rust at all. I'm the original owner bout this car in March 2018 @TeddBritt chevy in sterling va.
Now that there indicates something wonky happened to the driver seat. I'd expect both of them to be in similar condition. If the paz seat looks fine, then something must be up with this one, or something got that side of the pax floor wet.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Ok, I'm annoying and obsessive with my cars I'm sorry. But theres a reason I am this way today. What the heck is the rust from being a 2018? I know it has to have some type of moisture but is this worth another warranty issue ?
just went out and looked At my 2017 with a manufacture date of March 2017

i bought it day day after thanksgiving 2017. The dealer had it stored inside.

Brackets and bolts spotless on both sides.

That would be a lot of labor to take it apart and paint it.

My opinion is the car got a little damp on the inside and through multiple heAt and cold cycles the condensation built up and rusted none coated/painted metal parts inside.

I would not be concerned about those parts I would be most concerned. About electrical connections inside the car and under the dash

take it to the dealer and state your concern and ask them what can be done about it and go look at other cars in addition to corvettes they have on the lot. I would ask for an extended warranty at no extra charge and not worry so much about the rusted brackets.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-05-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Ok, I'm annoying and obsessive with my cars I'm sorry. But theres a reason I am this way today. What the heck is the rust from being a 2018? I know it has to have some type of moisture but is this worth another warranty issue ?
I would take this to the dealer. I can not see how on a car this new, that they would not look at replacing immediately. Forget cosmetics, my concern (and theirs) should be failure of structural elements in the event of a crash. I've never seen anything like this.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:35 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

The seat mechanism must have been left outside or in a damp area at Bowling Green. If the top was left off, the passenger side would look the same. Have the dealer look at it. If they decide not to do anything, at least it will be documented for future reference.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:02 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by dyoung
Why bother responding if you don't have a solution to the problem. That is bare metal under there and even the painted motors are showing signs of rust that won't go away by itself. Who wants to ride around with what will become a rust ball over time.
I don't have a solution because it's not a problem. It's cosmetic surface rust. If there's water actively entering the car, then the rust is a symptom rather than the actual problem. My guess is the driver's window wasn't up all the way and someone washed the car, but didn't dry the carpet properly. Is that good? No. But is it a problem worthy of the the wailing and gnashing of teeth we're seeing? No. There's people acting like he's mere moments away from falling through the floor of the car. It is, at worst, a cosmetic blemish in a part of the car that is rarely seen.

It's probably still worth taking to the dealer, but I would not be shocked if GM declines to cover it under warranty on the basis of negligence.

Again, if there is water actively entering the car, then that is a separate and very real problem that needs to be addressed. Maybe the roof seal is pinched. There's people on here who admit to having never had theirs off, so that's another possibility.

Originally Posted by 383vett
The seat mechanism must have been left outside or in a damp area at Bowling Green. If the top was left off, the passenger side would look the same. Have the dealer look at it. If they decide not to do anything, at least it will be documented for future reference.
Right. Because GM makes a habit of stacking up brand new seat assemblies outdoors at their state of the art assembly plant. Come on...

Last edited by Jeff V.; 06-05-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I don't have a solution because it's not a problem. It's cosmetic surface rust. If there's water actively entering the car, then the rust is a symptom rather than the actual problem. My guess is the driver's window wasn't up all the way and someone washed the car, but didn't dry the carpet properly. Is that good? No. But is it a problem worthy of the the wailing and gnashing of teeth we're seeing? No. There's people acting like he's mere moments away from falling through the floor of the car. It is, at worst, a cosmetic blemish in a part of the car that is rarely seen.

It's probably still worth taking to the dealer, but I would not be shocked if GM declines to cover it under warranty on the basis of negligence.

Again, if there is water actively entering the car, then that is a separate and very real problem that needs to be addressed. Maybe the roof seal is pinched. There's people on here who admit to having never had theirs off, so that's another possibility.

Right. Because GM makes a habit of stacking up brand new seat assemblies outdoors at their state of the art assembly plant. Come on...
These parts could have been stacked on pallets outside for 20 minutes and got soaked in a rain storm then brought inside. Parts in the bottom of the heap could have gotten surface rust. As someone upstream said if there is a leak in the car that needs to be addressed. My concern if it were my car is if there was leak in the car or it somehow got wet inside then the car seating outside in many days or months of hot / cold cycles moisture could have built up under the dash and corroded connections.

The op is concerned. He made 2 payments and may be having a little buyers remorse. He has 3 Choices
1. Leave it alone drive it and if any issues pop up including leaks he has 34 months left on the warranty to sort that out.
2. Sell the car and take his financial lumps
3. Take it in to dealer document the problem, look at other cars and see if they have rusted seat brackets. Ask for an extended warranty if other cars don’t have rusted seat brackets. Siting concern of moisture causing future electrical problems. If other cars do have rust then just stop looking under the seats.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:28 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Damn that rust looks like ****.

Take it to a dealer and see what they say. Don't get discouraged if the first one declines. Just take it to another one and see what they say. They're all different on what they'll fix for you.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:43 PM
hairymeister
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

bumper to bumper warranty includes corrosion. Get that replaced.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Right, Why is there no rust on the unpainted parts of the bracket that the seat assembly bolts onto but there is rust up high over 6" off the carpet? A wet carpet will cause that amount of rust? Come on... The rusted areas had direct contact with water for some time.

Last edited by 383vett; 06-05-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:18 PM
jlbjr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think that bracket has zero paint on it. You can see the weld clear as day. They missed it at the factory.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

I've inspected a few flood cars in my day and dam that seat frame shows like a flood. Check the steering shaft going thru the fire wall. That is another area to show rust similar to seat frames.

For a moment lets assume your new car was not in a flood. I would pull back the carpet to the insulation on the floor at the lowest points possible passenger and drivers sides and feel if they are damp. I would be suspect of a water leak of some sort. Other than the obvious like a leaky windshield or weather-strip check the A\C drain hose that it exits properly and is not kinked. If the carpet insulation is damp a professional water leak test must be done. Its takes time and patience. I did this for Chrysler for 2 years can be a real PIA to find the leak!

Like everyone has commented here this IS NOT NORMAL you have a issue. I would not buy your car used after seeing those seat frames as it is a place i look. That's also called diminished value! Get it fixed and good luck.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:46 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I stand corrected. The car is a complete basket case. GM should replace it with nothing less than a loaded ZR1, delivered by a very apologetic Mary Barra.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 AM
007FJ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just in case the dealer tries to give you the run around. There is a picture of my 99 Formula since I have the seat out
Old 06-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Ggpz06
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 007FJ

Just in case the dealer tries to give you the run around. There is a picture of my 99 Formula since I have the seat out
I appreciate that man, thanks for everyone input. Took it to the dealer today. They just went by my pictures and is ordering all new underside assembly. I would've thought they'd at least take it apart and see what else was affected.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:19 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I appreciate that man, thanks for everyone input. Took it to the dealer today. They just went by my pictures and is ordering all new underside assembly. I would've thought they'd at least take it apart and see what else was affected.
Glad they took care of it. I'd keep taking the car to that dealership if it went that smoothly. Not all dealers are cool like that.

Get notified of new replies

To More rust under driver seat-2018 Z06, 718 miles.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:22 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Flood car???
Old 06-06-2018, 12:34 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I doubt this would be covered under warranty because there's no actual damage and these aren't parts that were intended to have a visible, cosmetic finish. It's surface corrosion from atmospheric moisture. The only way you're going to stop it is to break the seats down and have the frames painted or powder coated.
Your kidding right oh of course it is covered I would demand a new seat and return the car off till they do!
Old 06-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Flood car???
Or a seat from a flood car....for whatever reason. The only thing I could think of is a seat damaged in the showroom, and dealer replaced with a "lightly used" seat. Seems shady either way.

Quick Reply: More rust under driver seat-2018 Z06, 718 miles.