C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

More rust under driver seat-2018 Z06, 718 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:58 AM
GhostBluZ06
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ggpz06
the undercarriage looks great, passenger side seats have no visible rust at all. I'm the original owner bout this car in March 2018 @TeddBritt chevy in sterling va.
That explains that terrible price you paid for your Z06. Welcome to the DMV sadly. Sorry you cant get out of it like you want.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:26 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I would be pissed also if mines looked like that and I knew water never entered under my ownership. Like I said there is more to this story that is missing, you also need to understand you can be on the losing end of this as they can deny warranty if they determine that you were at fault. Common sense used if humidity was a factor, both seat frames use identical material in fabrication. Having said that shouldn't both sides have the same symptoms of corrosion, seems it's not the case here. There is missing info on this one, common sense also says the corrosion was not there during the build of the car since the front bolt trim cap has rust stain on it.
The following users liked this post:
NSC5 (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 12:30 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

First, I wouldn't stress over this. If it is just a seat bottom and they are taking care of that for you. However, I, like you, would probably pay some adjuster/flood expert a couple of hundred dollars to go over the car carefully to make sure there is not other unseen water damage.

That $200 will go a long way to keeping you from worrying. If he finds something than you have some information to go back to GM with. Right now all you know if that you have problems with a seat frame and you are getting a new one soon under warranty. But as you remember, seeing nothing but this picture you posted in the other thread, my first thought was flood damage. Given that there is no problem on the other side, it was likely not flood damage, but an expert will know where else to look. Also can't hurt to pull a carfax on the vin.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:51 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by pkincy
First, I wouldn't stress over this. If it is just a seat bottom and they are taking care of that for you. However, I, like you, would probably pay some adjuster/flood expert a couple of hundred dollars to go over the car carefully to make sure there is not other unseen water damage.

That $200 will go a long way to keeping you from worrying. If he finds something than you have some information to go back to GM with. Right now all you know if that you have problems with a seat frame and you are getting a new one soon under warranty. But as you remember, seeing nothing but this picture you posted in the other thread, my first thought was flood damage. Given that there is no problem on the other side, it was likely not flood damage, but an expert will know where else to look. Also can't hurt to pull a carfax on the vin.
Get a 3rd party inspection before you go back to the dealership. This is a guessing game with unknown facts, the only known fact is that side of the car had a water intrusion.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:31 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

How do you know GM didn't leave the seat outside before it was installed.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:41 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by XX
I would be pissed also if mines looked like that and I knew water never entered under my ownership. Like I said there is more to this story that is missing, you also need to understand you can be on the losing end of this as they can deny warranty if they determine that you were at fault. Common sense used if humidity was a factor, both seat frames use identical material in fabrication. Having said that shouldn't both sides have the same symptoms of corrosion, seems it's not the case here. There is missing info on this one, common sense also says the corrosion was not there during the build of the car since the front bolt trim cap has rust stain on it.
Originally Posted by djnice
How do you know GM didn't leave the seat outside before it was installed.
Just speculation this occurred after the build , read the bold. That trim is placed after the seat is bolted so I would assume once it was stored outside from the build to ownership is where the fill in the blank is needed.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:44 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

The fading of the motor is what makes me think it sat outside. Maybe the seat was soaked then put in the car.

Last edited by djnice; 06-12-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Ggpz06
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
lol. I'm using common sense. Uncoated bare steel will get a coating of surface rust from the atmosphere. Parts that are not seen and not exposed to the elements... unless you're standing on your head are typically bare steel. Otherwise costs would be even higher. Yep, all 7of my cars look like ****, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you spent too much, know it, and have buyers remorse because of it and that's causing you to nitpick the car.
How in the heck am I nitpicking? There is visible rust on a new 700 mile Z06, if u think that is nitpicking something is wrong with you.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:29 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Let me add some facts to this pissing contest.

After reading way too much of this thread I got out a flashlight and looked under the drivers seat of my 2017 Z06.

1. For the parts I could see i.e. the tracks, motors and associated hardware there is no rust.

2. Most all the above parts have a coating on them which looks like gray/black paint. The hardware looks like there is some kind of coating applied to the metal (zinc phosphate, zinc etc.)

The point of the above is there is no way rust would be present unless something ate through the applied coatings. Temporary immersion, non condensing humidity etc. would have a hard time causing the oxidation described by the OP.

Last edited by ronsc1985; 06-12-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:11 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Maybe someone pissed them self during a test drive.
As for the aluminum and plastic rusting, don't worry, won't happen. Rust refers to iron and steel corrosion.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:14 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Let me add some facts to this pissing contest.

After reading way too much of this thread I got out a flashlight and looked under the drivers seat of my 2017 Z06.

1. For the parts I could see i.e. the tracks, motors and associated hardware there is no rust.

2. Most all the above parts have a coating on them which looks like gray/black paint. The hardware looks like there is some kind of coating applied to the metal (zinc phosphate, zinc etc.)

The point of the above is there is no way rust would be present unless something ate through the applied coatings. Temporary immersion, non condensing humidity etc. would have a hard time causing the oxidation described by the OP.
here is a pic a seat from the flooded c6 I bought, the flood happened in August 17 and I picked up the car late Nov. 17 . This is 3 months after the flood with the seats and carpet still wet from the window being down. Not the best quality but one that I found quickly. Not near the corrosion seen in his pic.
Attached Images  

Last edited by XX; 06-12-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:38 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

lol. I'm using common sense. Uncoated bare steel will get a coating of surface rust from the atmosphere. Parts that are not seen and not exposed to the elements... unless you're standing on your head are typically bare steel. Otherwise costs would be even higher. Yep, all 7of my cars look like ****, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you spent too much, know it, and have buyers remorse because of it and that's causing you to nitpick the car.
I am with you in the sense that this wasn't a seat left out in the weather or anything of that nature.

If you look at the photo well you can see the rust pattern emanates from higher up in the seat components and flows down to the lower seat components. This is exactly what it looks like when someone spills coke or soft drinks with high acid content and it isn't cleaned off or washed down and diluted enough to stop corrosion. Any OEM engineer is going to tell you this.

So the question is who spilled the drink? And how does one prove it was done before one purchased the car? Probably cant conclude either way so hopefully some compromise between the dealer and the owner can be made.

All this nonsense about GM build quality and the factory not being up to standards and careless is silly. GM build quality and factory management is just as good as any in the industry. All OEMs have nitnoid quality issues. For every 1 person on the net belly aching there are probably 1000 satisfied customers that haven't had any issues.

All isnt gleam and glitter, but the sky isn't falling either.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:40 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by XX
here is a pic a seat from the flooded c6 I bought, the flood happened in August 17 and I picked up the car late Nov. 17 . This is 3 months after the flood with the seats and carpet still wet from the window being down. Not the best quality but one that I found quickly. Not near the corrosion seen in his pic.
Correct sir. If the seat is exposed to plain H2O there will be little to no corrosion as the components were designed to take some reasonable amount of natural condensation and water into account.

If its soda or some other acidic liquid you get the OP's result.

Last edited by dar02081961; 06-12-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:41 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

OP - don't get upset on what other's are saying about your being picky or having buyers remorse. As I too would take this to the dealer for replacement because there is way too much corrosion on this seat frame even if the car was 15 years old.

Please let us know how this was resolved.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:54 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
OP - don't get upset on what other's are saying about your being picky or having buyers remorse. As I too would take this to the dealer for replacement because there is way too much corrosion on this seat frame even if the car was 15 years old.

Please let us know how this was resolved.
You make a valid point. However the evidence presented indicates a spill of an acidic content.

Not trying to argue just trying to add balance the conversation.

The make up of the metal contents (percentages of and types of metal) are known by the seat manufacturer (Lear I believe and GM). Therefore weather they share the information with you and I or not they can take one look at this and tell you what the metal had to be exposed to and for how long. Now lets all process that thought for a moment.

The material these seat mechanisms are made from do not as produced and coated corrode to this degree under normal conditions.
Therefore this was the result of an accident. Expecting the OEM to cover you a 100% for a seat spill is going to be tough.

The best you can hope for is a compromise and some professional courtesy.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Ggpz06
Racer

They would like me to come in and have the whole seat frame, nuts bolts and all motors and hatdware. I have a 10 yr/100,000 mile warrenty factory extended. But I suggested i want a GM representative there before they install. They want me to come in and address this issue.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:36 PM
Ggpz06
Racer

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Correct sir. If the seat is exposed to plain H2O there will be little to no corrosion as the components were designed to take some reasonable amount of natural condensation and water into account.

If its soda or some other acidic liquid you get the OP's result.
I never even considered a unopened bottle of water in this Z06 let alone a damn soda.

Get notified of new replies

To More rust under driver seat-2018 Z06, 718 miles.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Ggpz06
Racer

It's the peoples flood comments that worried me. Either way they are replacing everything underneath except the actual seat.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:14 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Sounds like the dealer is going to get it fixed for you. Can't do better than that. I never try and get to upset about problems. It is how people address the problem that i care about. And it sounds like your Dealer has your back. Keep us posted.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:37 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I would nit pick as you call it because not one single part of the car should be rusting. Yes I said that, not one single part. I don't mean bolts on the outside and under the car. Certainly not one single interior part should be rusting and not on a brand new vehicle.

It hasn't been brought up but if there are different metals in contact with each other, they most certainly have to be coated to avoid galvanic corrosion which degrades metal strength, not something you want with a seat.

Quick Reply: More rust under driver seat-2018 Z06, 718 miles.