C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Vararam Intake claims 60 RWHP, any real world results?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 06:38 PM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

so when will it be ready? I;m willing to be a test mule, and I have XXX intake installed already so a back to back will be easy, and dyno results posted
LMK thanks!

Last edited by The T-man; 07-01-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Im a Vararam fan. I really enjoy how well they perform and usually recommend them over other units.
I had it one my C5 corvette and on my Gen5 Camaro. I always felt it was the best intake to actually get cold air from outside of the engine bay area into my engine to not reduce my IAT timing tables. I felt it was the fastest intake to remove hot air from the "tube" when a car is idling at a light when taking off.

I wish they made one for my C6ZR1.

Downside for me, I was never a fan of the C5 quality or that they stopped making the filter for the first generation C5 intakes. It was a Biotch to install, and I wasn't thrilled with the rubber clamps. BUT THE SYSTEM WORKED THE BEST GETTING COLD AIR TO THE ENGINE !

On my 2010 Camaro, quality was much better on the intake. I tell guys don't listen to their advertising number, but they do work the best. There's a mathematical formula used for HP gains. So with any produce, take dyno proven numbers with a gain of salt.

When I talk to guys and they are thinking about changing from XXXX intake to a Vararam system and the car has ALREADY been tuned, I tell them they should have their AFR rechecked on the street if they switch intakes, because the Vararam systems do work at speed.

With the article saying 60 RWHP, well that's not going to happen. I think the Vararam Tech is correctly walking that number back with a maybe a 60 HP ( NOT RWHP at the engine on the LT4)

Actually Ive seen other units dyno more than the vararam on other cars, but on the street with the hood close and at speed, the Vararam breathes much better than other units, and you can feel the car pull better.

That's just my findings since I first started to use their product in 2002. It was actually my first modification on my C5 and hated taking it on and off to clean the MAF, but it worked!

Last edited by phils C5 vette; 07-01-2018 at 07:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VaraRam Industries (07-02-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 07:56 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Anxiously waiting for the release. I bought brand “H” for myself and a friend of mine. Both C7 Z06. I installed the first unit on my friend’s car. The fit was so poor, I sold mine without ever installing it.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:09 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
Anxiously waiting for the release. I bought brand “H” for myself and a friend of mine. Both C7 Z06. I installed the first unit on my friend’s car. The fit was so poor, I sold mine without ever installing it.
The "H" brand has given many many members great results sorry you couldn't one to fit on your buddy's car. Most of the issues are it is huge airbox going in a small space. Guys don't take the time to get it fully seated in place. My 2017 M7 made 604 rwhp about 4 months after the install with just the Halltech. My 2017 A8 made 582 with just a Halltech.
Both gained about 45 rwhp that never went away. Now the H brand intake is a great base for my M7 that now makes 673rwhp.
The V brand I had years ago warped let in dirt and was poor design and was worse than any H brand.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-01-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The "H" brand has given many many members great results sorry you couldn't one to fit on your buddy's car. Most of the issues are it is huge airbox going in a small space. Guys don't take the time to get it fully seated in place. My 2017 M7 made 604 rwhp about 4 months after the install with just the Halltech. My 2017 A8 made 582 with just a Halltech.
Both gained about 45 rwhp that never went away. Now the H brand intake is a great base for my M7 that now makes 673rwhp.
The V brand I had years ago warped let in dirt and was poor design and was worse than any H brand.
Lots of people happy with them, my buddy loves his. For me as a mechanical engineer, CNC programmer and fabricator, I have higher standards than most. I didn’t care for the following:

1) Could have been designed so that cutting the coolant line is unnecessary.
2) Could have been designed so that zip ties were not necessary to pull the radiator hose away from the intake tube.
3) Could have been designed so that the elbow lined up with the throttle body correctly instead of depending on the flexible coupling to correct for poor alignment.

No worries, I but lots of stuff to try, if I like it, I keep it, if not, I sell it and move on.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookieracer

Lots of people happy with them, my buddy loves his. For me as a mechanical engineer, CNC programmer and fabricator, I have higher standards than most. I didn’t care for the following:

1) Could have been designed so that cutting the coolant line is unnecessary.
2) Could have been designed so that zip ties were not necessary to pull the radiator hose away from the intake tube.
3) Could have been designed so that the elbow lined up with the throttle body correctly instead of depending on the flexible coupling to correct for poor alignment.

No worries, I but lots of stuff to try, if I like it, I keep it, if not, I sell it and move on.

1. Cutting the coolant line is so trivial. A 5 minute deal.2. But since you mentioned it actually makes it better because you remove the intake more easily.
2. The zip ties are not needed if you use the NOMEX sleeve. With the sleeve in play it does NOT matter if the hose touches the sleeve it stops heat.
I found if you squeeze the hose clamp and twist the hoses a little bit it helps keep it down and away from the tube.
3. I found that when I put the intake on the 2300 it was little short. But if you just run the Halltech with no bolts to the fenderwall. That's right it stays in place gets more air from the
hood crack. But the best part it allows the intake tube to center for perfect straight shot to my PTB.
Been using 1 for 3 years then last year added another one to the second Z06 I agree with your buddy!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-02-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:40 PM
CSIXX1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
I simply answered a customers question about installing Our intake and having the ECM lean out like some other intakes have proven to do to make power. Then only to have the ECM richen back up after some driving , removing some of the power gain. I may have been more openly direct than you would have liked, but we have some of those other intakes and some do lean it out, along with a host of other items. We data log them long term and look at far more than AFR numbers. We see everything from lean /rich conditions to dirty MAF readings. If they had spent the extra time to run them on the road properly ( Long term) they should have seen some of these items and we would like to think, they would have changed them, but as of today, they have not.

The quality and real world performance of the new system will be head and shoulders above what is out today in the aftermarket. Just as we did with the TCR-7 LT-1 unit, we will be using injection molding for critical components to bring a level of precision and quality rarely seen in the aftermarket. This also leads to more precise and consistent MAF readings. This allows a builder/ tuner to build a more aggressive combination , knowing that we made sure they would have good MAF and trim cell readings for drivability and tip in . It just makes their job easier , rather than fighting a drivability issue due to a poorly designed intake system.

VR tech
Have you done a test with the BMS filter on the Z06 version? If so what was the outcome?
Old 07-02-2018, 01:44 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

Originally Posted by CSIXX1
Have you done a test with the BMS filter on the Z06 version? If so what was the outcome?
That filter will Not fit the Z-06 system . It's to small .

VR Tech
Old 07-02-2018, 02:41 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 245 Posts

I for one am looking forward to having another option for a CAI on these cars. The two major players thus far in the C7 Z06 market have some problems with either the filter staying put that you can't get to easily and things not lining up and fitting properly or the damn tube/filter assembly coming out of the end of the box all the time. I've seen this now over the multiple years the products have been on the market and it's ridiculous IMO.

Vararam here is a tip, make sure it will fit correctly on a C7 Z06 with a maggie or edelbrock as the throttle body location is VERY SLIGHTLY shifted over from stock. Either leave more room for a molded flexible hose section at that end or just leave adjustability in the other end that can pull/retract a small amount.

And hey if you want to send one to me to test with I've done it before with plenty of products, just don't expect me to really pick up much power if any over the "other" ones on the market since I'm knock limited as it is and adding airflow isn't going to help me much if any.

Last edited by NicD; 07-02-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:44 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

Just make it to fit the stock Z06 and we all be happy!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:11 PM
STYX450R
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
my first post
That was 5 Corvette's ago. Trying to slam other already proven successful intakes already in use on the Z06 will never help your business. The proof of value of your product will.
I strongly disagree. I subscribed to this series of posts from the beginning. I am glad the vendor jumped on here to defend their product.

They stand by what they’re selling. IMO several people have gone out of their way to discredit this vendor.

Like everyone else, I like to know the reputation of any company I make a purchase from prior to installing their products into my vehicle. However, one post about an experience using one of their products is enough. More than that and I disregard everything from that person entirely.

Maybe I missed it but I did not see him mention any of the other companies names. Even if he did, how is that different from product marketing at any level.

Bottom line: Let’s wait and see if they can back up their claims. If they can't, they will not last very long.
The following 2 users liked this post by STYX450R:
Malum1 (09-05-2018), VaraRam Industries (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by STYX450R

I strongly disagree. I subscribed to this series of posts from the beginning. I am glad the vendor jumped on here to defend their product.

They stand by what they’re selling. IMO several people have gone out of their way to discredit this vendor.

Like everyone else, I like to know the reputation of any company I make a purchase from prior to installing their products into my vehicle. However, one post about an experience using one of their products is enough. More than that and I disregard everything from that person entirely.

Maybe I missed it but I did not see him mention any of the other companies names. Even if he did, how is that different from product marketing at any level.

Bottom line: Let’s wait and see if they can back up their claims. If they can't, they will not last very long.
I agree 100 percent. Heck the other two vendors were claiming a bunch of rear wheel HP also. I have a Halltech on my Z06 and am not unhappy with it, but that being said, I am open minded and willing to listen. I had Vararam's on two different C5's and loved them. So lets give the guy a chance. As far as quality, every company has a bad day or employees that are also having a bad day. Heck, I have gone through 3, DSC controllers trying to get one that works, and with all the great comments from the real world (us), everyone is saying its worth the wait, so here I am waiting for a DSC controller that works, and I am looking forward to it..
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (09-05-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Bee1LE
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
Our goal is to be running production parts in 3-4 weeks time.

VR tech
Any word on when we might start to see these intakes hitting the street?
Old 07-17-2018, 03:57 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a VaraRam on my C5, I had to do a lot of work to get it to seal and many of us know what a joy it was to install. That said, it had a real SOTP effect on the car and as a bonus my fuel efficiency jumped. The first thing I noticed was the amount of throttle I had to give it a cruise was less.

I have not wanted to put an upgraded air box on my C7Z, If you develop a product that performs as well as my C5 one did, with a fit and finish comparable to the stock box I will be very intrigued.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:22 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

I'd be shocked if it makes 1hp more than a BMS drop in filter.
The following 2 users liked this post by Terry@BMS:
Gonzo (07-23-2019), Mikec7z (07-19-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:09 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
It might even make 2hp more than your drop in, but if it delivers 60rwhp (and maintains it) without a tune, I’ll get hookers and blow for everyone on the development team 😝
Too bad that 60hp ain’t gonna stay without a tune...
The following 3 users liked this post by JHEBERT:
cam69aro (10-09-2018), chaznad (06-25-2021), Mikec7z (07-19-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Bee1LE
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if Vararams claims to this point are true or not. Heck, it's not even out yet so no one does. The way I'm reading Vararams statements I would expect very similar DYNO numbers to the BMS posted #'s. The dyno is only half of their claims though. They're claiming to scavenge another 20 - 30 HP that gets eaten up by air and underhood temps during real world driving conditions.

Anybody who thinks strapping this thing on and Dyno'ing 60 WHP more is something Vararam has stated needs to go back an re-read the techs posts.

Anyway....it will be interesting to see what the fitment and performance is with this new offering ... Now, when is it coming out?

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam Intake claims 60 RWHP, any real world results?

Old 07-17-2018, 10:00 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Bee1LE
Any word on when we might start to see these intakes hitting the street?
Our goal was 3-4 weeks , but Our toolmakers are running behind on the final finish out items we requested on the Steel CNC Injection Tooling.
Normally ,we don't put in the final texture & logos until we have completed testing on the test shots from the molds. Saves machine time in case any changes or tweaks are needed.
VR Tech
Old 07-17-2018, 10:08 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

I hope you like being shocked !
The filter in this unit will swallow a BMS filter .
Besides , the factory intake air box does not have a proper 360 deg air horn set at the proper angles. That alone is worth 10-12hp ,so I think your 1-2hp is more than covered.

VR tech
Old 07-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Never one afraid to stir the pot....lol What are your thoughts on running a bit of corn per fillup? (KIDDING!)

Quick Reply: Vararam Intake claims 60 RWHP, any real world results?