C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Bolt-on Procharger 1/4 mile times?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:17 AM
avtarv
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Bolt-on Procharger 1/4 mile times?

Hi guys, I have a 19 Z that should be arriving any day now. Instead of spending money on the factory blower I having been thinking about just swapping to a Procharger. I was just wondering how much faster you have gone with just the Procharger without getting into the cam etc.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by avtarv
Hi guys, I have a 19 Z that should be arriving any day now. Instead of spending money on the factory blower I having been thinking about just swapping to a Procharger. I was just wondering how much faster you have gone with just the Procharger without getting into the cam etc.
Good question . I have the pro charger installed but theres no tracks where i live . I can tell you that the low end torque compared to stock does not exist until 4000 rpm with the pro charger , you really need to use the gears . Hopefully someone else can chime in .
Old 06-15-2018, 03:34 PM
"BoneStock"
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a procharger with no meth or anything will put you around 700whp. Depending on tires it should net you in the low 10 seconds @ 136-138mph range.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:20 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by "BoneStock"
Just a procharger with no meth or anything will put you around 700whp. Depending on tires it should net you in the low 10 seconds @ 136-138mph range.
Right on with the power estimate , with meth and headers im at 760 rwhp . The powers up high in the rpm band .
Old 06-15-2018, 08:52 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Doing an F1A build now and my original thoughts were staying close to bolt on with just meth, but chose to go with supplemental port injection hearing more advice and feedback from good people here (ProSpeed ACM + G1Pro intake + WeaponX 550lph low side) to hopefully get me closer to 800 wheel. Problem is finding a tuner close to where I live that will pull it all together. Hoping I didn't regret making this build so complex. I have a brand new Alky Kit that I am just holding on to in case I have to fall back to it. I wanted this is going to be a great experience and enjoyable especially doing most of the work myself, not something I regret.

What 1/4 mile times are you looking for? M7 or A8? Tires?

Last edited by C5-VERT; 06-15-2018 at 08:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ben@WeaponX (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:09 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazman1960
Good question . I have the pro charger installed but theres no tracks where i live . I can tell you that the low end torque compared to stock does not exist until 4000 rpm with the pro charger , you really need to use the gears . Hopefully someone else can chime in .
I imagine it really makes up ground from 100mph To 150. And willl push the car to a much higher top speed.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

You'll probably find bolt on PC Z's going same times or slower in the quarter than bolt on stock cars.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:45 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

A Procharger will make mad power up top and a lot less down low. On the street it will be less fun to drive.

In the quarter mile, properly tuned, it -could- be faster. But make sure you understand thet tradeoffs in going from a positive displacement blower to a centrifugal. It's not all winning.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:22 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
A Procharger will make mad power up top and a lot less down low. On the street it will be less fun to drive.

In the quarter mile, properly tuned, it -could- be faster. But make sure you understand thet tradeoffs in going from a positive displacement blower to a centrifugal. It's not all winning.
Pretty much summed it up .Yesterday I was actually thinking of going back to stock , stock blower with just general driving around in my opinion cant be beat , however , after a longish drive out on the highway with a bunch of other vehicles , the pro charger is a different beast above 3500 rpm , you really do need to use the gears to extract the most out of it .
Old 06-17-2018, 05:40 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Had a guy at sac was running 9.60s. Pulley/meth/cam/heads/long tubes/intake.

ended up going procharger and went 9.51. Gained 4 mph top end but lost a lot of low/mid. He said car pulls great at higher revs but for drag racing he said he should of just spent it on a bigger blower.

car also made 170 more at wheels peak.... but along the power curve was a lot less.

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 06-17-2018 at 05:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Corvette4ever (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Yep, you need to be cranking some serious HP to dive deep in the time slips. My car made 864 on pump, and was running 10.4s summer. **** 60 foot, so so DA. But MPH wasnt great either. Cars going to a new tuner going forward, pretty sure its dropping boost during runs.

If i did it all over i would go with the PD blower heartbeat or 2650 non edlebrock.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:29 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
Had a guy at sac was running 9.60s. Pulley/meth/cam/heads/long tubes/intake.

ended up going procharger and went 9.51. Gained 4 mph top end but lost a lot of low/mid. He said car pulls great at higher revs but for drag racing he said he should of just spent it on a bigger blower.

car also made 170 more at wheels peak.... but along the power curve was a lot less.
The one thing ive noticed on my own car is , with the Pro charger , I find it easier to launch than the stock set up . Now this maybe to do with the lower amount of torque available off idle with the pro charger as the torque hits way higher in the rpm band . Also , my car is stick not auto . Easy to blow the tires off at launch with all that torque . I realise im not as good a driver as people who frequent race tracks but that's the way it is here where I live. Next month however , theres a local group who have rented an airstrip for a weekend of 1/4 mile racing . I think im gonna try it and report back then .
Old 06-17-2018, 08:30 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BooSSted
You'll probably find bolt on PC Z's going same times or slower in the quarter than bolt on stock cars.
agreed, PC is sick on regular car, loss on z06. there is def better options out there
Old 06-18-2018, 07:53 AM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Personally don't quite understand spending $10k on a procharger and not going with complimentary additions such as fuel, long tubes, etc. If you have a budget less than $12-15k no question heads/cam/cooling with a PD blower upgraded or pulley swaps is best path. For best times and high HP PC is crushing it just a few searches finds many like this:
Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5-VERT
Personally don't quite understand spending $10k on a procharger and not going with complimentary additions such as fuel, long tubes, etc. If you have a budget less than $12-15k no question heads/cam/cooling with a PD blower upgraded or pulley swaps is best path. For best times and high HP PC is crushing it just a few searches finds many like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-uLUQgGk4
i know the question is for just bolting up a PC but i don't think anyone is actually doing that. As usual the PC ARE on top of the fast lists. But for every shop car or crazy build; theres 10 PC cars making 900+whp with pedestrian times considering the power and what the car is capable with the stock blower. Talking purely quarter mile.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Personally don't quite understand spending $10k on a procharger and not going with complimentary additions such as fuel, long tubes, etc. If you have a budget less than $12-15k no question heads/cam/cooling with a PD blower upgraded or pulley swaps is best path. For best times and high HP PC is crushing it just a few searches finds many like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-uLUQgGk4
that is 40k build
Old 06-18-2018, 11:24 AM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

that is 40k build
Easily. I am up to near $25k on my build already minus my signature wheels/cup2's. That's without cam/heads. That's my point. You won't make the most of a ProCharger build without fuel, exhaust, valvetrain. Even clutch, tanny mods. For $12-15k in my opinion you are better off with 2.3 or just heads/cam/long tubes/tune. The stock blower with additional cooling / pulley and heads/cam will easily make best use of stock fuel system as we all know and be a better road car. We all know going past that magical 800+ number requires a LOT more in terms of fuel, valvetrain, etc. Same problem I just ran into.

Guess I took this thread off topic my fault. Just may help those who run into the same issues I did...

Get notified of new replies

To Bolt-on Procharger 1/4 mile times?

Old 06-18-2018, 11:52 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Easily. I am up to near $25k on my build already minus my signature wheels/cup2's. That's without cam/heads. That's my point. You won't make the most of a ProCharger build without fuel, exhaust, valvetrain. Even clutch, tanny mods. For $12-15k in my opinion you are better off with 2.3 or just heads/cam/long tubes/tune. The stock blower with additional cooling / pulley and heads/cam will easily make best use of stock fuel system as we all know and be a better road car. We all know going past that magical 800+ number requires a LOT more in terms of fuel, valvetrain, etc. Same problem I just ran into.

Guess I took this thread off topic my fault. Just may help those who run into the same issues I did...
no prob we all like info. Worst thing is when a car makes 150 to 200 more then a bolt on combo car and runs about the same times at the track.

wish ya the best on your build
Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

Yeah doing a procharger as just a bolt on mod is worthless and you will more than likely be slower at the drag strip then just doing simple bolt ons to the factory setup. It's all about that 60' in the quarter mile and the procharger is going to be a comparative turd out of the hole. Unless you are doing a fuel system, cam, converter, etc the procharger is never going to be able to make enough bottom end to get that 60' down to where it needs to be to really shine.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran

no prob we all like info. Worst thing is when a car makes 150 to 200 more then a bolt on combo car and runs about the same times at the track.

wish ya the best on your build
That's exactly what I realized when I got deep into it. Now it's more about just enjoying doing most of the build myself, learning as I go (nothing like problem solving), and meeting good people such as yourself, Earl H, Drew, Tim @ ProSpeed, Ben @ Weaponx, Jason @ Katech, David @ Vengeance, Cesar @ TPS. Everyone has been patient and very helpful with me learning and making mistakes. That's what it's all about in the end just enjoying what we have and how we got there.

Just like those catless downpipes you make for the money and for most builds those will give you 80% of what you need for a third less than long tubes. Finding that nice line between cost per horsepower is all about research and also real world testing. It's also great to have so many options today. Thanks for the kind words!

Quick Reply: Bolt-on Procharger 1/4 mile times?