C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is the automatic transmission in the Z06 that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 03:16 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
You make no sense to me. Yes, what you describe is an effective way to combat heating, but if you just want to go around the track quickly, you do it in D. It's faster than the M7 and faster than paddle shifting. And yes, the car actually can and does "anticipate" what gear you need next.

If you were more open to it, I'd dig up a cool article that covered it all that I read some time ago, I found it pretty impressive and interesting. It'll shift in corners with wheels off the ground, shift multiple gears, and lots of stuff.
As I mentioned, leaving the car in 'D' is highly effective on a road course, but it's useless for an Advanced driver at an HPDE since the car will be in limp mode in 3-4 laps; hence it has to be driven in 'M' mode to last the whole session. Further, whilst the car can attempt to find the correct gear given input from it's myriad of sensors, 'it' can't tell when there's a slower car in front; debris/oil/water on track, etc. Further, IF you know the track and what you're doing, a good driver knows exactly what gear works best in any given corner and situation instead the of the car just staying between 5K-6.5K rpm.

YMMV

Bish
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
chevyfanatic (06-21-2018), djnice (06-22-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:37 PM
chevyfanatic
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
As I mentioned, leaving the car in 'D' is highly effective on a road course, but it's useless for an Advanced driver at an HPDE since the car will be in limp mode in 3-4 laps; hence it has to be driven in 'M' mode to last the whole session. Further, whilst the car can attempt to find the correct gear given input from it's myriad of sensors, 'it' can't tell when there's a slower car in front; debris/oil/water on track, etc. Further, IF you know the track and what you're doing, a good driver knows exactly what gear works best in any given corner and situation instead the of the car just staying between 5K-6.5K rpm.

YMMV

Bish
I drive 1000% in M mode but the issue stock is not just the overheating. its also the TCM tuning. The whole A8 is dumbed down stock and bang really hard if you do the TCM tuning which I did
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (06-22-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:39 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyfanatic
I drive 1000% in M mode but the issue stock is not just the overheating. its also the TCM tuning. The whole A8 is dumbed down stock and bang really hard if you do the TCM tuning which I did
Is the TCM tuning different from an ECU tune where it voids the powertrain warranty immediately?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:41 PM
chevyfanatic
Racer

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
Is the TCM tuning different from an ECU tune where it voids the powertrain warranty immediately?

its the TCM !!!!!!! yes and of course ! TCM == Trasmission Control Module - ECU - ECU = Engine Control Unit
Old 06-22-2018, 01:21 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Why would you want a bang-shift? The smoothness of the shift is what helps maintain traction.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:40 AM
chevyfanatic
Racer

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Why would you want a bang-shift? The smoothness of the shift is what helps maintain traction.
Then you must have missed what I said.

the stock TCM is horrible when you're shifting the paddles because you actually go forward whereas now you actually go back in your seat because the throttle cut off doesn't happen.

they have the tuning on the TCM so weak that it actually cuts the throttle off when you're shifting and you fall forward.

And now it feels a little bit like dual clutch transmission although it's not quite as quick. so no it doesn't lose traction now. that's completely wrong. The other thing he fixed on my car was that it would never shift from 3rd to 2nd on a down shift when you slow down it would always going to 1st directly because the tuning was set wrong. 2nd was set same as 1st.

I've been driving my car for a year and a 1/2 and now it's the best it's ever been thanks to Aaron Hibbs my tuner. The . overall responsiveness of the car is so much better than it was when it was stock and had that terrible TCM soft tuning. If you've ever even driven a BMW with the a8 transmission in sport plus or a pdk with SC on you would see that it shifts a lot closer to that now although it's still not quite as quick.

much firmer harder harder shifts that simulate what a normal DC transmission does.
The following users liked this post:
djnice (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:52 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

it needs to be tuned. Stock the A8 trans blows and cuts off when you shift manually pushing you forward instead of back . Mine is tuned and its pretty good now. Not a DC but definitely ok.
Thanks for the good input.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:24 AM
chevyfanatic
Racer

Originally Posted by djnice
Thanks for the good input.

honestly the tcm tuning on the a8 feels a bit artificial but its a vast improvement over stock ultra lazy shifts. Another thing is my car's completely modified so it obviously is going to feel more responsive than the stock z06. near 700 whp on e85 and soon hope 800 whp with the maggy 2.3 blower.

The benchmark for a fast shifting non dc trans automatic is a ZF 8speed transmission.. the BMW zf trans feels faster than a lot of DC trans. amazingly good.

Last edited by chevyfanatic; 06-22-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:39 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

the stock TCM is horrible when you're shifting the paddles because you actually go forward whereas now you actually go back in your seat because the throttle cut off doesn't happen.

they have the tuning on the TCM so weak that it actually cuts the throttle off when you're shifting and you fall forward.

And now it feels a little bit like dual clutch transmission although it's not quite as quick. so no it doesn't lose traction now. that's completely wrong. The other thing he fixed on my car was that it would never shift from 3rd to 2nd on a down shift when you slow down it would always going to 1st directly because the tuning was set wrong.
Oh. I guess my car never did those things, skipping 2nd when downshifting with the paddles, or feeling like it was falling forward during the upshift.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 06-22-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:33 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

honestly the tcm tuning on the a8 feels a bit artificial but its a vast improvement over stock ultra lazy shifts. Another thing is my car's completely modified so it obviously is going to feel more responsive than the stock z06. near 700 whp on e85 and soon hope 800 whp with the maggy 2.3 blower.

The benchmark for a fast shifting non dc trans automatic is a ZF 8speed transmission.. the BMW zf trans feels faster than a lot of DC trans. amazingly good.
In ‘Track’ mode set to Sport 2 or Race the gearbox changes in ‘M’ mode on a road course are NOT slow; I found them to be quite rapid and it was easy to always be in the correct gear, even if I had to anticipate slightly at times.

Agreed that it’s no DCT, but it’s perfectly useable.

I hope the C8 version uses a DCT that is as good as the one in this car:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate1
As someone who owns the Auto, it is great ONLY if you leave it in Auto. Go for manual shifts and you will be severely disappointed if you’ve ever driven a dual clutch auto.
I leave it in auto and love it !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:01 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

YMMV

Bish
I agree that the driver can paddle shift to manage thermals (and I think I said that already above) but I don't think a driver can pick a "better" gear than the ECM. I'm trying to think of a scenario, and just can't. If you can describe one where you would pick a gear with a paddle that is difererent from what the ECM/TCM would select for you, let me know. But I haven't been able to identify one.

You might want to be down at 3500rpm in the corner but if 5000rpm is better, let the computer have it, I say! Until it overheats, as you plainly said.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:44 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

it needs to be tuned. Stock the A8 trans blows and cuts off when you shift manually pushing you forward instead of back . Mine is tuned and its pretty good now. Not a DC but definitely ok.
It cuts fuel so that it can complete the shift faster.

One thing I read about a high end car (maybe the NSX) was that they tied shift firmness to how crisply you pulled the paddle. So if you pull the paddle slowly, soft shift. Pull it hard, bang shift. Sounds like fun!

Last edited by davepl; 06-22-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:38 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I leave mine in "D" I like it and it works just fine. Paddles are more a novelty than anything else.
Big reason for me with the Auto is faster 60ft The A8 easy lays a faster 60ft. It is not A8 vs M7
it is A8 or M7 both are great and totally different drivers. Esp when you add the comp seats to the manual
then have the GT's in the A8. Really different feel.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:24 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

And now it feels a little bit like dual clutch transmission although it's not quite as quick. so no it doesn't lose traction now. that's completely wrong. The other thing he fixed on my car was that it would never shift from 3rd to 2nd on a down shift when you slow down it would always going to 1st directly because the tuning was set wrong. 2nd was set same as 1st.

I've been driving my car for a year and a 1/2 and now it's the best it's ever been thanks to Aaron Hibbs my tuner. The . overall responsiveness of the car is so much better than it was when it was stock and had that terrible TCM soft tuning. If you've ever even driven a BMW with the a8 transmission in sport plus or a pdk with SC on you would see that it shifts a lot closer to that now although it's still not quite as quick.

much firmer harder harder shifts that simulate what a normal DC transmission does.
That is called, Torque Management and without it, you could mess up your transmission. Most people that ruin those trannies most likely disbaled TM (which is a big no-no).

Old 06-22-2018, 06:15 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1

NEWS FLASH FOR YOU IN THE 1/4 mile the 60ft is the WHOLE RACE!

:
This must be a typo or too much weed again.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:41 PM
chevyfanatic
Racer

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06
That is called, Torque Management and without it, you could mess up your transmission. Most people that ruin those trannies most likely disbaled TM (which is a big no-no).
yes we removed most of the torque management by bumping up pressures etc and firmness. its way wst better then stock. the fuel cut off when shifting really sckd.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the automatic transmission in the Z06 that bad?

Old 06-23-2018, 08:34 AM
NBVette4U
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the A8 in the Vette, DCT in my GTR and A10 in my ZL1. By far the best tranny is the A10. Its an engineering marvel and shifts faster than the DTC and the downshift capabilities are far superior. It’s too bad GM didn’t figure out a way to stuff it into the Z06!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:00 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NBVette4U
I have the A8 in the Vette, DCT in my GTR and A10 in my ZL1. By far the best tranny is the A10. Its an engineering marvel and shifts faster than the DTC and the downshift capabilities are far superior. It’s too bad GM didn’t figure out a way to stuff it into the Z06!
Nissan GTR, or AMG GT R? There’s a big difference, in that the DCT in the AMG GT R is far superior than the GR6 in the Nissan.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:31 AM
NBVette4U
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Nissan GTR, or AMG GT R? There’s a big difference, in that the DCT in the AMG GT R is far superior than the GR6 in the Nissan.
2017 Nissan GT-R. Haven’t driven an AMG GTR to
compare. That A10 in my Chev ZL1 is wicked!

Last edited by NBVette4U; 06-23-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Is the automatic transmission in the Z06 that bad?