C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZO6 test drive? Not?

Old 06-28-2018, 04:33 PM
N6GQ
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default ZO6 test drive? Not?

So I'm in the process of trying to decide what I want, a ZO6 or a ZR1, A8 or M7, and a few other options. I'm probably 2-3 months from either purchase, or maybe 1 month from placing an order with deposit, so I'm moderately serious.

I went to a local dealer that had maybe 5 ZO6's on the lot. But the sales folks told me its not their policy to allow test drives in ZO6s or ZR1's (or ZL1 Camaros for that matter). They did allow me to test drive other models of Corvettes and Camaros but not ZO6/ZL1.

I'm curious, do you see that often? Maybe on a ZR1 where the dealers rarely get them and they're ordered and spoken for before arrival, but a ZO6? That surprised me.

Curious on others experiences...
Old 06-28-2018, 04:38 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Don't feel bad. When I was shopping for a Z06 I didn't even have a single salesman come help me. I went to look at a used one at a chevy dealership and they wouldn't let me test drive.

I've heard in the past that most didn't allow test drives on new Z06's.
The following users liked this post:
N6GQ (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:42 PM
N6GQ
Instructor

Ok that helps, thanks, appreciated.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:42 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Find another dealership.

I MAYBE can understand not allowing test drives in a ZR1 due to the exclusivity and that a test drive on the street would be RELATIVELY close to a Z06. There is really no reason why they shouldn't allow a Z06 test drive, especially if they have a used one.
N6GQ (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by breakskeet
Find another dealership.

I MAYBE can understand not allowing test drives in a ZR1 due to the exclusivity and that a test drive on the street would be RELATIVELY close to a Z06. There is really no reason why they shouldn't allow a Z06 test drive, especially if they have a used one.
A *used* Z06 -- sure, test drives should be no problem, given a qualified potential buyer.

A *new* Z06? No. Ask how many guys here would want to buy a $100,000 "new" Z06 with 50 miles on the clock from strangers "test driving" it. I'd guess most here would either want near-zero miles, or a substantial discount for one that already had 50 miles of "test drives" on it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kent1999:
09ZR1 (06-30-2018), BMadden (06-28-2018), N6GQ (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 05:07 PM
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts

The guys at MacMulkin explained their "no test drive" policy pretty clearly. Everybody wants their new 'vette with 3 miles on the odometer. Nobody wants one that has been driven.

Every vette on their showroom floor had 3 miles on it. So you take the good (3 miles) with the bad (no test drive). You have to know what you want in a car (I did), and trust your visual and audible inspection, and then trust the warranty. I had my pick of any car; I could start it....listen to it....press in the clutch and move the shifter around...but couldn't drive it. Worked out OK for me. Same for my second Z06, this time from Mike at Criswell.

I suppose if I paid for the car, drove around the corner, and the engine or transmission exploded, there would have been a discussion about tearing up the paperwork. My first CTS-V had a major tranny problem after about 40 miles (they allowed a test drive in that case, and I bought the car); the dealer tore up or otherwise undid the paperwork (it had not been processed yet) and gave me my money back.

Last edited by 6104696; 06-28-2018 at 05:07 PM.
N6GQ (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 05:10 PM
N6GQ
Instructor

Thanks guys, sounds like its more of the norm than anything. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:11 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 6104696
The guys at MacMulkin explained their "no test drive" policy pretty clearly. Everybody wants their new 'vette with 3 miles on the odometer. Nobody wants one that has been driven.

Every vette on their showroom floor had 3 miles on it. So you take the good (3 miles) with the bad (no test drive). You have to know what you want in a car (I did), and trust your visual and audible inspection, and then trust the warranty. I had my pick of any car; I could start it....listen to it....press in the clutch and move the shifter around...but couldn't drive it. Worked out OK for me. Same for my second Z06, this time from Mike at Criswell.

I suppose if I paid for the car, drove around the corner, and the engine or transmission exploded, there would have been a discussion about tearing up the paperwork. My first CTS-V had a major tranny problem after about 40 miles (they allowed a test drive in that case, and I bought the car); the dealer tore up or otherwise undid the paperwork (it had not been processed yet) and gave me my money back.
Scaring me a bit. I'm picking up my 19 Z06 from Mike@Criswell this weekend and the pictures show 27 miles on it. Should I be concerned?

Last edited by xkilo16x; 06-28-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:19 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kent1999
A *used* Z06 -- sure, test drives should be no problem, given a qualified potential buyer.

A *new* Z06? No. Ask how many guys here would want to buy a $100,000 "new" Z06 with 50 miles on the clock from strangers "test driving" it. I'd guess most here would either want near-zero miles, or a substantial discount for one that already had 50 miles of "test drives" on it.
My dealership takes new Z06s in stock to car shows, events, etc. They do allow test drives. The sales person will drive the car spiritedly but the buyer is instructed not to break the speed limit when they are the pilot. I think those that are purchasing Z06s off the lot are getting very good discounts already across the country for the most part and should expect to see 50 or so miles on a car sitting on the lot. Especially if it is a year old. Now if you custom spec a car for order, I feel that car should have no more that 25 miles on it. My car had 23 miles on it at time of delivery. When it was in Bowling Green I "strongly suggested" that I would have no problem if my car was selected for quality control during my engine build. I have pics of my car going through QC on an alignment rack with the QC manage going over the car. My Onstar was turned on after I signed the paperwork and I could see my car (tracking it on the Onstar app) in the holding lot at the plant and I actually followed it to the museum when it was brought over for the PDI. My car was a museum delivery.

See this thread:
​​​​​​https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...est-miles.html

Last edited by breakskeet; 06-28-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:19 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
Scaring me a bit. I'm picking up my 19 Z06 from Mike@Criswell this weekend and the pictures show 27 miles on it. Should I be concerned?
Unless your going to drive it home and store it for a collector car and don't want any miles on it, then 26 miles is a lot. If you going to drive it and have fun with it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Test driving a new Z06 I can understand, but a used one, geez go find another dealer.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:22 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
Not at all, especially if it arrived at the dealership with those miles. That means you car was probably selected for quality control and it will be perfect!
xkilo16x (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

That means you car was probably selected for quality control and it will be perfect!
"Should" be perfect, yes. Plenty of horror stories out there from museum pickups to those selected for additional QC inspections.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:56 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tort
"Should" be perfect, yes. Plenty of horror stories out there from museum pickups to those selected for additional QC inspections.
Would like to see those horror stories if you have a link to a thread or other information. No one PDIs more Corvettes than the museum so I'm sure there may be a few out there.

I have had 3 museum deliveries and they all have been perfect.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:57 PM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by N6GQ
So I'm in the process of trying to decide what I want, a ZO6 or a ZR1, A8 or M7, and a few other options. I'm probably 2-3 months from either purchase, or maybe 1 month from placing an order with deposit, so I'm moderately serious.

I went to a local dealer that had maybe 5 ZO6's on the lot. But the sales folks told me its not their policy to allow test drives in ZO6s or ZR1's (or ZL1 Camaros for that matter). They did allow me to test drive other models of Corvettes and Camaros but not ZO6/ZL1.

I'm curious, do you see that often? Maybe on a ZR1 where the dealers rarely get them and they're ordered and spoken for before arrival, but a ZO6? That surprised me.

Such an important part of the process, I remember the smile I got the first time I have driven a new generation....anything but ZR1, yes we allow test drives
The following 3 users liked this post by RickConti@Coughlin:
breakskeet (06-28-2018), eagledriver (06-29-2018), kenownr (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Would like to see those horror stories if you have a link to a thread or other information. No one PDIs more Corvettes than the museum so I'm sure there may be a few out there.
I have had 3 museum deliveries and they all have been perfect.
As they should be. Don't have links at the ready and don't care enough to go hunting (search feature on this forum is not the best) but there have been plenty stories covered here in the forums where very obvious things were missed or damaged right off the line. You don't have to believe that though...
Old 06-28-2018, 06:09 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by 6104696

When I pick up a car after ordering, I always test drive the car before completing the paperwork. The dealership won't deny you that privilege.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:20 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 383vett
When I pick up a car after ordering, I always test drive the car before completing the paperwork. The dealership won't deny you that privilege.
Unfortunately you can't do this with a museum delivery as all paperwork has to be complete. The car is already yours when you get there. Any problems you find with the car that you deem to be major are to be taken up with your selling dealer. They have a form that they make notes on at the time of the museum delivery that you can take to your dealer.

You are absolutely correct. A car that you ordered should definitely be driven and inspected prior to signing the paperwork at the dealership, especially the form that says the dealership owes you nothing!

Last edited by breakskeet; 06-28-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 test drive? Not?

Old 06-28-2018, 06:25 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

I never drove a Corvette before I purchased one, and that goes back to 1985, gee I'm old, of course they weren't 100k back then either
Old 06-28-2018, 07:11 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by N6GQ

i test drove 6 z06’s. Took an auto for a 15 mile test drive car was brand new without the salesman along. That made my decision to get the m7.

As far as zr1’s those are harder to find and dealers may be less likely to allow a test drive.

If your dealer wont let you test drive look until you find a dealer that does.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:41 PM
Jim Himes
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove a used Z06 at a local dealer but couldn’t make a deal then ended up buying a new one at another dealership. Was offered a test drive on the new one but declined due to already driving one.

Was kinda interested it a GT350 but wasn’t allowed to test drive it.

All about finding the right dealer. If they know you are serious and you make a deal on the car but the only holdup is the test drive to get your final approval I bet they’ll let you drive it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZO6 test drive? Not?