C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z07 Carbon ceramics for sale/trade

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 07:03 PM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

CCB = best brakes for the C7 or any supercar for that matter
Old 07-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Amirns
Yes the CCB are known for making sounds when they are not very hot. From the research I have done, I have found after market pads for the iron brakes that dont dust as much but I really dont care about brake dust at all, im going out a lot of miles on the car and its bound to get dirty
What you are thinking of doing is F'ing up a nice car. If your driving is limited to street and highway driving (even 100K plus miles) more than likely the pads and rotors will last the lifetime of the car. Some people may complain about brake squeal but most in the know don't give a crap about it as it is meaningless on a ceramic rotor car. If the brake pad wears down to the backing plate there won't be any squeal or noise like an iron brake rotor car would have.

If you buy the car and make the change over to iron brakes and sell the ceramics you will destroy the value of the car on the used market. A used Z07 may not be all that much more valuable than a non Z07 after 3 or 4 years but a used Z07 without its ceramic brakes will definitely be worth a lot less than a non Z07 with iron brakes.

If you plan on tracking the car the ceramic brakes are great brakes. However, the consumable cost is high due to needing to replace the front rotors every 13 to 15 track days and the need to replace the rear rotors every 20 of so track days. That is instructor level driving not novice level driving.

The idea is to remove the ceramic brake package and go with an aftermarket iron rotor race package while storing the ceramics. When you go to sell the car you put the ceramics back on and sell the aftermarket kit. For track people that is the lowest cost way to get the braking required when slowing a 3560 lb Z06 from 150+ mph to 50 mph.

Bill
The following 4 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
cbirch (01-18-2019), jstewart (01-21-2019), Oneslackr (08-20-2018), Plstxmd (01-21-2019)
Old 07-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What you are thinking of doing is F'ing up a nice car. If your driving is limited to street and highway driving (even 100K plus miles) more than likely the pads and rotors will last the lifetime of the car. Some people may complain about brake squeal but most in the know don't give a crap about it as it is meaningless on a ceramic rotor car. If the brake pad wears down to the backing plate there won't be any squeal or noise like an iron brake rotor car would have.

If you buy the car and make the change over to iron brakes and sell the ceramics you will destroy the value of the car on the used market. A used Z07 may not be all that much more valuable than a non Z07 after 3 or 4 years but a used Z07 without its ceramic brakes will definitely be worth a lot less than a non Z07 with iron brakes.

If you plan on tracking the car the ceramic brakes are great brakes. However, the consumable cost is high due to needing to replace the front rotors every 13 to 15 track days and the need to replace the rear rotors every 20 of so track days. That is instructor level driving not novice level driving.

The idea is to remove the ceramic brake package and go with an aftermarket iron rotor race package while storing the ceramics. When you go to sell the car you put the ceramics back on and sell the aftermarket kit. For track people that is the lowest cost way to get the braking required when slowing a 3560 lb Z06 from 150+ mph to 50 mph.

Bill
^This.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:49 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tort
I have the complete opposite experience. Love the CCBs in every way but for the noise. I know some people swear they're silent but the vast majority are anything but. I've never heard a silent pair of CCBs in person from any manufacturer for that matter. Beyond the brake noise in slow traffic, they're absolutely amazing though...
Did you burnish the brakes after the 1500 mile mark per the manual?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:35 PM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Good info. I am currently looking at a 17 Z with the ceramic package. I didn't realize they produced less brake dust than the iron set up that I had on my 16 Z. Thanks for the feed back.

Last edited by 01Defense; 08-19-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:57 AM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

To thread starter: If you have not bought the car yet and don't want the CCB, find a different car to purchase. You are going about this for all the wrong reasons. May sound harsh but you will regret doing what you are planning to do in one way or another.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:58 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I've read that GM has improved the CCB rotors' high temp stability for ZR1 (reference). Would it be at all possible that the 2019+ Z07 cars might also have these upgraded rotors? Considering Z06's thermal loads would hopefully be less than ZR1's, when used on a Z06, this might mean much improved rotor life, and could change the math for the replacement costs.

EDIT: Another reference directly from brembo:
http://www.brembo.com/en/company/new...-brembo-brakes

Last edited by X25; 08-20-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Amirns
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GS583
To thread starter: If you have not bought the car yet and don't want the CCB, find a different car to purchase. You are going about this for all the wrong reasons. May sound harsh but you will regret doing what you are planning to do in one way or another.
I did buy the car with the CCB'S and love the brakes and will not change them, and sometimes you get a deal that you cant pass up on so the plans change
Old 01-18-2019, 09:45 PM
cbirch
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a C7 Z06 w/Z07, moved up from a C6 Z07...was concerned about CCB replacement costs due to @ 10 track days per year. Your answer gave me clarity, thanks.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:25 AM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 557 Posts

Do you think the CCB are worth buying with a brand new car with the[ stand alone option price of $6,500-$7,000[ don't remember exactly how much ] for just regular driving with never planning on tracking the car? I feel it would be better to just get the standard steel rotors and just change to ceramic brake pads. People make it seem like the steel rotors suck or something, but actually there very good. If you could afford them because they look cool and have there advantages for your purpose great. I just don't think it's worth it unless $$ is no issue and you just want them to look cooler. But from a financial point of view I don't think so Thoughts
Old 01-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by mdolandese
Do you think the CCB are worth buying with a brand new car with the[ stand alone option price of $6,500-$7,000[ don't remember exactly how much ] for just regular driving with never planning on tracking the car? I feel it would be better to just get the standard steel rotors and just change to ceramic brake pads. People make it seem like the steel rotors suck or something, but actually there very good. If you could afford them because they look cool and have there advantages for your purpose great. I just don't think it's worth it unless $$ is no issue and you just want them to look cooler. But from a financial point of view I don't think so Thoughts
For putt putting around town like most Corvette owners do there is no reason to have the CCMs. However, GM has offered deals on the CCMs where you can get them for little to zero added cost (maybe overstocked with CCMS??).

Bill
Old 01-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I got the carbon brakes on mine so I wouldn't have to clean my wheels so much, also ceramic coated the wheels because I am a true waxer.

They have squeaked a couple times in the starbucks drive through but it's a small price to pay for such clean wheels.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:45 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mcoomer
Yeah, mine started making noise at about 8500 miles. Dealer took a stab at resolving the problem with a reapplication of copper pad lube but no joy. It comes and goes, but when it's making noise it can sound like an old bus coming up to a stop. Dead silent when I press harder but make a lot of noise when I ease up to a stop.
I was able to fix this. I tried a couple different products but decided to try the copper compound again. Bought a tub of 3M copper anti-seize/brake lube, cleaned the hell out of the calipers to remove as much of the old stuff as I could, applied a generous amount of the copper (it's still not very much) and put everything back together. Brakes are silent again. It's been a couple months now and no noise. Couldn't be more happy.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 AM
Plstxmd
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
^This.
yeah, that .
Old 01-21-2019, 07:39 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Amirns
No sir, im able to afford the car, im just worried because I dont want to pay 8k for brakes in future, its just for piece of mind and I will be putting around 15 to 20k miles on the car a year.
keep the ceramic brakes. They’ll last a long time. Probably 150k on the pads. The rotors should never wear out so long as you keep good pads on it. Or put steel rotors on with power stop z26 pads and keep the original ceramics for down the road if you sell the car. If it’s a z07 your better off putting it to 100 percent stock with the ceramic brakes when selling it.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 01-21-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:57 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Love my Z07 brakes, no squeal, no brake dust , & I am one of those guys that probably will not road race the car.

Quick Reply: Z07 Carbon ceramics for sale/trade