C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:50 PM
swaite
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues

Some of you may have been following my continuing issues with my brand new Z06 and it’s bumper paint issues followed by 2 really bad repair attempts by Kerbeck Corvette which made the situation worse. Attached is GM’s customer service rep telling me they will not honor the warranty nor remedy the poor quality ( I would almost call it vandalism) by Kerbeck. If you listen to the the video you can hear such gems by GM
Corvettes are made in many factories
the paint peeled off because I washed the car
the TSB detailing the issue is irrelevant

I assure you after you listen to this back and forth you will be just as angry as me. Please share with everyone you know

The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:52 PM
swaite
Racer

Maybe Tadge wants to chime in on this
Old 08-21-2018, 08:59 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

why did you buy the car if the paint was bad.didnt you look at it before you bought it.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:00 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

That sucks. I feel some of your pain.... I hope you get it all resolved.

I had shitty paint job on my $2000 option visible carbon fiber roof. The hard edge painted line was done horribly on the passenger side. It looks like an amateur did it. I took it to a chevy dealer body shop only to be told by the body shop manager that there was nothing they can do about it. That's when I contacted corporate and they said they go off of the word of the dealership body shop manager. So I took it to other dealerships and they all said the paint job was done poorly but they don't want to touch it out of fear of making it worse and having to replace an entire $4k+ roof because of a bad paint job. The first shop I took it to said they will attempt to fix it but can't guarantee anything and that if it worsens they won't be replacing the top. They even started blaming me towards the end saying maybe I caused it or road debris hit it.

Your paint has a LOT more issues than my 1 roof issue. I just moved on from it and in the future, IF I ever buy another chevy, I will be looking at every single inch of the car inspecting everything before I take delivery. I didn't think I would have to go through all of that on a brand new car, but apparently you can't trust the quality of a $100k car.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 PM
swaite
Racer

Originally Posted by lordofwar
why did you buy the car if the paint was bad.didnt you look at it before you bought it.
paint looked perfect when I bought it, paint peeled at the edges after 100 miles. The rest of the issues where caused by crappy repair attempt by Kerbeck.

Last edited by swaite; 08-21-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:36 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by swaite

paint looked perfect when I bought it, paint peeled at the edges after 100 miles. The rest of the issues where caused by crappy repair attempt by Kerbeck.
Yup... some cars have terrible body panel alignment/fitment. I swapped my fender vents to carbon fiber ones and there is a line in the corner where everyone's been having issues with the vent digging into the paint. It didn't start chipping/peeling like others but you can see where it dug in pretty deep into the paint.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite
That's terrible. I truly believe the job of these reps, such as the one you were speaking to, is not to help anyone but to go through their list of lame excuses as to why an issue isn't GM's fault.

Further proof of this came to me first hand from a friend of mine. He worked for about a year at an outside firm contracted by GM to handle calls like this back in 2000, out here in Austin, TX. He told me that all they did all day was field calls like yours from the owners of various GM cars that had issues. He said they had no authority to help anyone & that their main job was to tell the car owners that nothing could be done & to get them off the phone as quickly as possible. Now I'm not sure who you were talking to, a direct GM employee or an outside firm contracted by GM, but based on what he told me back in 2000 I'm not too surprised by your video. Obviously, not much has changed in the last 18 years.

You're doing the right thing by elevating the issue. That's the only way it will get resolved. The issue with your Vette is 100% unacceptable.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 08-21-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2018, 09:49 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

I feel like GM hires people who have no clue for their customer service lines on purpose... that way we just get fed up with them and give up.

I have many recordings myself of them, and a few others and I are sitting on a treasure trove of amazing conversations with their technical service people at GM headquarters.

You recording them is perfect. Their customer service was not always this bad... it has gone downhill big time in the last 2 years, and I believe it is on purpose. GM got really tight on helping people in the past 2 years.

You need to get better business bureau in your state involved, contact their department that deals with lemons, and see what they have to say. The fact that you bought the car new and it had the problem from day 1, should be evidence that you have a lemon if GM says they "CANT FIX IT"

If gm does not want to fix your car, the law is on your side, they, by law, they have to buy it back if you push it. Then they take a serious bath. They will repaint your entire car, and fix the alignment issue of the panels, or they can buy it back and have a salvage lemon branded title corvette to sell... their pick.

BBB in your state acts as your attorney and also the mediator to the case... and they rule on our side more than the factory, so you will be in good hands.

Quit playing nice. Take it to BBB and pursue it. It is free, no money out of your pocket. I would send GM a letter, which is required under lemon law... it is called a "final attempt to repair Notification" that is the title of the letter, you send it to their detroit main address, and you have it certified where they have to sign for it. In the letter, you describe the problem, and state this is their FINAL CHANCE to fix the problem. They then have 10 days or so to respond AND get your car into service for repair, from the time they sign for your letter.

It is a po box, but im having trouble finding it... should be in your owners manual.

If they PASS on the opportunity to fix your car, then you move forward with lemon'ing the car. If they repair it... and it happens again... then you move forward with lemon'ing the car.

Nice time is over... they want to play stupid, so can you. As far as you know, its a lemon, and you get a new car... that's what the law says... and make the losers take a bath. Its one thing to make a mistake, its another to refuse to fix it and pretend there is no problem.

Bravo for posting this, GM is a joke lately.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-21-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:57 PM
swaite
Racer

They want to pretend like this TSB does not exist. After I had this issue I walk onto a few lots and saw other cars on the lot with these same issues.

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
That's terrible. I truly believe the job of these reps, such as the one you were speaking to, is not to help anyone but to go through their list of lame excuses as to why an issue isn't GM's fault.

Further proof of this came to me first hand from a friend of mine. He worked for about a year at an outside firm contracted by GM to handle calls like this back in 2000, out here in Austin, TX. He told me that all they did all day was field calls like yours from the owners of various GM cars that had issues. He said they had no authority to help anyone & that their main job was to tell the car owners that nothing could be done & to get them off the phone as quickly as possible. Now I'm not sure who you were talking to, a direct GM employee or an outside firm contracted by GM, but based on what he told me back in 2000 I'm not too surprised by your video. Obviously, not much has changed in the last 18 years.

You're doing the right thing by elevating the issue. That's the only way it will get resolved. The issue with your Vette is 100% unacceptable.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:07 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

No fun for OP

The main problem is the material being painted (sheet-molded composite - basically a hard plastic) - we all know plastic is hard to paint it just doesnt absorb paint - it repels it

Its not panel alignment - its the area between panels thats not getting prepared properly - seems to be a bonding agent disconnect maybe - the tight areas are not getting prepared properly (sanded plus the correct adhesion promoter) plain and simple

I had my car re-painted and not seen any issues so they must be doing something right - using the right adhesion promoter and sanded well being top priority to eliminate future problems - Good luck with your issues
Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 PM
swaite
Racer

GM just wants to dig in deeper
just got this message from GM

Old 08-21-2018, 10:39 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

you would think in 2018 manufacturers would figure out how to make paint hold on the edges of panels...
Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

they wont do anything until you use BBB to force them to make the right choice. It really is that simple. Once they make a decision, they wont reverse it. They will ONLY reverse it once BBB tells them they will be buying a car back soon.

You must send the letter of "notification of final opportunity to repair" FIRST, and see what they do with that.

If they pass on that... THEN you get the BBB involved. Has to be done in the right order as BBB will only help you 1 time, and after that, you are on your own and must pay a lawyer.

So have your case complete before BBB, and that means, the letter of final repair must be sent to GM first, and you receive their response, and allow them a chance to repair it.

If they do repair it, this is their final attempt. If the paint flakes again, THEN you go to the BBB.

Must be done in the perfect order or you burn your chance to win.

What state is the dealership you bought it from? NJ?

https://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Do...-LLaddinfo.pdf

subaru for instance has a 8 or 10 year warranty on paint from failing/fading/peeling.

The fact that GM delivers cars to dealers this way (and i know they do) is unacceptable

Lemon law will cover you on this. IF the dealer and manufacturer REFUSE to make attempts to repair an item that is under warranty, with the excuse that it CAN'T BE FIXED, then they have admitted the vehicle is a lemon, and the case is closed, you win.

So they are going to need a different excuse come mediation time unless they want to buy you a new vehicle within 20 seconds of being in the mediation room

GM covers the dash boards on the 2lz and 3lz getting bubbles in the leather, from the sun heat, at during the 3/36,000 warranty.

Your paint is more of an issue than that is, and GM has to cover it, its a manufacturing defect if you did not hit anything to cause the paint to peel. If paint peels on a hood before 3/36,000, they will cover it under warranty.

They will be buying you a new car if they keep playing stupid. Pin them to the wall.

And keep in mind, if they DO fix your vehicle, and you had to take them to lemon law mediation to make that happen, they owe you double or tripple damages depending on what state you are in, so whatever it costs to fix your car, you'll be getting that in cash money, as well as a fixed car.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-24-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
Old 08-21-2018, 11:05 PM
tstad9i1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Having owned a GM car in the past and telling myself I will never buy another GM product again, I have had to continually tell myself GM has changed because I want a Z06. They have to have gotten better after that bankruptcy. And Kerbeck is one of the dealers I was planning to talk to as soon as I can see that Elkhart blue on an actual car. If I don't like it I would buy a black one.

After watching that video, well ... it's the same old GM. No change whatsoever. If the Corvette was built as is by Hyundai, I would buy without hesitation.
Mikec7z (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 11:06 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Bought my Black 2017 ZO6 at Kerbeck. Passed on a yellow one because i noticed the same paint problem in the showroom.
Mikec7z (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 11:16 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

the yellow and blue ones have it happen the most often, you are correct.

To the OP, in NJ, once the dealer takes 3 attempts to fix it, they are in lemon territory. GM is aware of this and if they are part of a repair claim, and they see that the next repair is the 3rd, and it will be a winning lemon case, THEY AVOID the third repair so that it confuses customers, and makes them think it is not a lemon case.

https://jalopnik.com/when-the-dealer...car-1716196888
Old 08-21-2018, 11:36 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

Get a lawyer for this case and get GM to buy back the car. Mikec7z appears to be correct about NJ lemon law - just looked it up. Shameful how they are turning this around on you. It's also really unfortunate that such a high volume dealer like Kerbeck is also rolling over on you. You are doing the right thing by remaining calm and documenting everything.

Get notified of new replies

To Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues

Old 08-21-2018, 11:38 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bob53
Get a lawyer for this case and get GM to buy back the car. Mikec7z appears to be correct about NJ lemon law - just looked it up. Shameful how they are turning this around on you. It's also really unfortunate that such a high volume dealer like Kerbeck is also rolling over on you. You are doing the right thing by remaining calm and documenting everything.
there is a much easier way tho bob, he does not need a lawyer, layers will tell you that you need them, you dont... BBB is the lawyer and the judge. GM already has an arrangement with BBB pre-contracted, whatever BBB decides... GM must do. IF BBB DOES NOT RULE IN HIS FAVOR... HE CAN THEN DECLINE THEIR RULING AND STILL GET A LAWYER AND TAKE IT TO COURT.

BBB wont rule against him tho... worst case for him, they might give GM 1 more chance to repair it on GM's dime. If it fails again, he will be getting a new car.

BBB is free.

The lawyer comes AFTER BBB, ONLY IF a person does not have their ducks in a row, and burns their 1 chance with BBB, or they don't like BBB's answer.. but BBB will be more than fair.

BBB will ONLY HELP 1 TIME. After that, you have to get lawyers and courtrooms... expensive and time consuming.

He will win if he sends GM the letter FIRST before he contacts BBB.

He needs to understand this. I have dealt with this a lot.

here is the address to send it to... had to look back through my paperwork.

Must be sent USPS CERTIFIED WITH SIGNATURE REQUIRED, ENVELOPE

General Motors Company
P.O. BOX 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170

In the letter say the dates/times of previous repairs and a brief summary of the situation. Then explain that this is their FINAL ATTEMPT TO REPAIR YOUR VEHICLE.

If you don't have 3 failed repair attempts yet, go to the dealer tomorrow FIRST and request them to fix it, and if they refuse to fix it, get it in writing that you tried to fix it... and if they don't give that you to, get a selfie with the date and time at the dealer... a photo... AND ALSO make a video.

That will qualify as the "3rd repair attempt".

Now GM can't refuse the letter's validity. They might TRY, but BBB will honor your attempt.

If GM refuses it, notify them your next step is you are filing with BBB.

They will put their dumbest employees on the phone and their key line is "im not a lawyer, i know nothing about this stuff"

Record the convo and humor me

Tell the lady when she says that... "thats a shame, that means you will probably be losing in court then, i suggest you put the lawyer on the phone or have him call me back then." She will decline to do that... phone call over. That will be a phonecall where they call you... when the phonecall begins, explain THEY are being recorded. Ask that intelligent creature for her email... and send an email back to her summarizing the phone call. Make the summary perfectly accurate, which is why you want to video record it with another phone. Put her on hold until you get the video ready. The best is when these idiots deny they said things, in the mediation room, and you pull out the video of them saying it, and its legal since you notified them that you were recording. Put the summary in the email, and shoot it back to her so that its documented. Ask them to CONFIRM this is their FINAL ANSWER on repairing your vehicle. The best is when they say you arent allowed to record them, after you notify them you are recording them. Dont worry about them saying that, just keep recording and keep emphasizing you are recording, and if she does not like it, tell her she is welcome to write you an email then.

Their goal is that they are not documented, THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE THE RECORDINGS, THEY PLAY STUPID LATER AND BOLD FACE LIE. GET EVERYTHING DOCUMENTED.

Once they confirm that is their answer... whether it is a yes or a no... to fix it again... then you do the next step. If they fix it, wait till it flakes again, and file with BBB. You have 2 years from the time of sale for the paint to fail again. If they dont fix it, then file with BBB immediately.

Now you have a case, ducks in a row, and you will win.

So, you file with the BBB after the above is all completed. BBB does the rest. You will be getting a new vette soon, or your money back... IF gm is dumb enough, not to utilize their FINAL ATTEMPT TO REPAIR your vehicle, OR if they try and the paint fails again.

Make the losers pay for being so stupid. Only way they will correct the problem for other cars moving forward is if their bottom line profits are HURT by not fixing the problem. Buying back cars... HURTS.

This is the only way to make them operate correctly.

I have won lemon cases in the past. I will be winning another here again soon, and so will a few of my buddies. GM's refusal to fix cars is about to cost them dearly.

Originally Posted by tstad9i1
Having owned a GM car in the past and telling myself I will never buy another GM product again, I have had to continually tell myself GM has changed because I want a Z06. They have to have gotten better after that bankruptcy. And Kerbeck is one of the dealers I was planning to talk to as soon as I can see that Elkhart blue on an actual car. If I don't like it I would buy a black one.

After watching that video, well ... it's the same old GM. No change whatsoever. If the Corvette was built as is by Hyundai, I would buy without hesitation.
the cool thing is, the law makes them buy us new cars, most people are just not aware how to proceed and how easy it is to win.

They can keep messing up as far as I care, ill just keep getting new free cars every year.

Sooner or later their accountants who make all the decisions to make shortcuts and ignore customers... will see that it costs them LESS money to do it the right way the first time.

And the only way that happens is if we all hold GM to the fire in the courtroom.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-24-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
dmaxx3500 (08-25-2018), Monkey D. Luffy (08-29-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:51 AM
swaite
Racer

Was hoping not to go this route but that’s the next step

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
here is the address to send it to... had to look back through my paperwork.

Must be sent USPS CERTIFIED WITH SIGNATURE REQUIRED, ENVELOPE

General Motors Company
P.O. BOX 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170

In the letter say the dates/times of previous repairs and a brief summary of the situation. Then explain that this is their FINAL ATTEMPT TO REPAIR YOUR VEHICLE.

If you don't have 3 failed repair attempts yet, go to the dealer tomorrow FIRST and request them to fix it, and if they refuse to fix it, get it in writing that you tried to fix it... and if they don't give that you to, get a selfie with the date and time at the dealer... a photo... AND ALSO make a video.

That will qualify as the "3rd repair attempt".

Now GM can't refuse the letter's validity. They might TRY, but BBB will honor your attempt.

If GM refuses it, notify them your next step is you are filing with BBB.

They will put their dumbest employees on the phone and their key line is "im not a lawyer, i know nothing about this stuff"

Record the convo and humor me

Tell the lady when she says that... "thats a shame, that means you will probably be losing in court then, i suggest you put the lawyer on the phone or have him call me back then." She will decline to do that... phone call over. That will be a phonecall where they call you... when the phonecall begins, explain THEY are being recorded. Ask that intelligent creature for her email... and send an email back to her summarizing the phone call. Make the summary perfectly accurate, which is why you want to video record it with another phone. Put her on hold until you get the video ready. The best is when these idiots deny they said things, in the mediation room, and you pull out the video of them saying it, and its legal since you notified them that you were recording. Put the summary in the email, and shoot it back to her so that its documented. Ask them to CONFIRM this is their FINAL ANSWER on repairing your vehicle. The best is when they say you arent allowed to record them, after you notify them you are recording them. Dont worry about them saying that, just keep recording and keep emphasizing you are recording, and if she does not like it, tell her she is welcome to write you an email then.

Their goal is that they are not documented, THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE THE RECORDINGS, THEY PLAY STUPID LATER AND BOLD FACE LIE. GET EVERYTHING DOCUMENTED.

Once they confirm that is their answer... whether it is a yes or a no... to fix it again... then you do the next step. If they fix it, wait till it flakes again, and file with BBB. You have 2 years from the time of sale for the paint to fail again. If they dont fix it, then file with BBB immediately.

Now you have a case, ducks in a row, and you will win.

So, you file with the BBB after the above is all completed. BBB does the rest. You will be getting a new vette soon, or your money back... IF gm is dumb enough, not to utilize their FINAL ATTEMPT TO REPAIR your vehicle, OR if they try and the paint fails again.

Make the losers pay for being so stupid. Only way they will correct the problem for other cars moving forward is if their bottom line profits are HURT by not fixing the problem. Buying back cars... HURTS.

This is the only way to make them operate correctly.

I have won lemon cases in the past. I will be winning another here again soon, and so will a few of my buddies. GM's refusal to fix cars is about to cost them dearly.
Mikec7z (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 09:07 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

The problem with losing a great amount of time in dealing with this is that even if they buy your car back and you get a new one..... was it really worth it since you already had a new car ther first time? It's simple, stop purchasing new GM cars. No they don't care about individual customers, but maybe if everyone stopped buying they MIGHT notice lol.

Good luck with the car.... and whether they fix it, give you a new car, or just buy it back.... please send a message and don't purchase another new one again.

Quick Reply: Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues