C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Loss of right leg at knee

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:01 AM
hoserdog
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loss of right leg at knee

Unfortunate I have hd the misfortune of an above the knee amputation on my right leg. I have a 2015 Z06 with the zo7 option, 7 speed. Now that I can not drive the vehicle has any one heard of prosthetic that will allow a person to drove a Manuel vehicle again.I did see a You tube video of a gentleman who was a double amputee video of a double amputee driving a Maza 6 speed. No informatiom was provided with the video. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:12 AM
BigBoyToys
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope this info helps you out somehow, stay strong, nothing is impossible.

https://professionals.ottobockus.com...X3/p/3B5-2~5ST
Old 07-12-2018, 06:18 AM
racerx1909
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

HoserDog
So Sorry to hear !
I was at the Corvette Corral at the Detroit Grand Prix a couple of years ago and a paraplegic man (no use of either leg) had his Z06 outfitted with an Italian Company's Hand controls for everything - throttle/brake.
Sam Schmidt former Indy Racer and team owner of SPM Racing had a Z06 outfitted with complete controls by mouth as he's quadrapalegic.
So I'm certain that the technology is out there for a hand operated throttle.
Hope this gives you some guidance in google searching !
RacerX
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 AM
rdalisky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hoserdog, so sorry to hear! I have had trauma patients lose legs, and then get specialty prosthetics that allow them to do any number of things, including drive a car. The hand control for throttle is also a good option. Best of luck, you will be able to get behind the wheel again.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Hope it works out for you. Stay Strong.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:54 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

For many yeares the ZR-1 Registry had a member (whose name I can't remember) who was a paraplegic. All ZR-1 were originally stick shifts. While some cars have been modified with automatic transmissions, I think his remained a stick. He had added hand controls to he could not only drive on the street but also autocrossed successfully. My recollection is that he was an engineering type and had crafted his own controls or modified someone else's. He had a left hand control that operated the clutch. He carried a lightweight wheelchair I think in the passenger seat and simply hauled it over himself when getting out. I am sure there is solution out there for you. Good luck on your search for it.--Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 07-12-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:18 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

Wishing you the best! Hope everything works out OK for you...God Speed Sir!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:44 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Trade the Z06 for an A8 model and transplant the throttle pedal to the left side of the brake pedal. Any capable shop that does custom work could easily do it. If it were me, that's what I'd do (I used to build full custom tube frame road race cars for clients). Go through a mild retraining using your left leg to establish feel and pressure.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 07-12-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 PM
DTOM
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 407 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Sorry to hear about your leg. Rick "Corvette" Conte or one of his customers from the videos below might be able to help point you in the right direction.

He's dropping off a customers car for driving aids:
https://youtu.be/RnanQLzLMIw
Starts around 13 mins...

Another customer...starts around 8 mins
https://youtu.be/NwdClh35PA8
Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Trade the Z06 for an A8 model and transplant the throttle pedal to the left side of the brake pedal. Any capable shop that does custom work could easily do it. If it were me, that's what I'd do (I used to build full custom tube frame road race cars for clients). Go through a mild retraining using your left leg to establish feel and pressure.
This would be the best route I would think and cheapest. Hand controls will be more costly I would think.

OP, stay strong through this! I could not imagine losing my right leg at the knee. Not being able to enjoy my cars would be the worst thing ever.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:18 PM
SCRAPPY19
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the guy in the video that had Rick Corvette Conti take my Z06 for hand controls. The company that put them on was MC Mobility. The controls i have are by Sure Grip and are the push to rock system with an electronic throttle. You push forward for the brake and rock the handle back for the throttle. My system has the optional electronic throttle that's tapped into the cars system some how and you can turn it on and off so they can't be used and the stock gas pedal in engaged again. Mine were $2,000. I can tell you i't way more responsive than using your foot.

There's a system out there call Kempf digital accelerator ring hand controls, that's what most paraplegic race car drivers use. I looked into and it's $10,000.

I believe there's another system for manual cars called Drivematic automatic clutch out there. I seen it on youtube at some point

Hope this has been helpful and don't let this keep you from the fun of driving your corvette.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I don't think the OP needs to go the route of full on hand controls...that's definitely overkill for his circumstance.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:28 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRAPPY19
I'm the guy in the video that had Rick Corvette Conti take my Z06 for hand controls. The company that put them on was MC Mobility. The controls i have are by Sure Grip and are the push to rock system with an electronic throttle. You push forward for the brake and rock the handle back for the throttle. My system has the optional electronic throttle that's tapped into the cars system some how and you can turn it on and off so they can't be used and the stock gas pedal in engaged again. Mine were $2,000. I can tell you i't way more responsive than using your foot.

There's a system out there call Kempf digital accelerator ring hand controls, that's what most paraplegic race car drivers use. I looked into and it's $10,000.

I believe there's another system for manual cars called Drivematic automatic clutch out there. I seen it on youtube at some point

Hope this has been helpful and don't let this keep you from the fun of driving your corvette.
There's other options out there for hand controls - Guido Simplex are the best I've used and had them installed on my Z06 I got from Rick Conti (and they're down to about $6,500 installed) and you get to drive with both hands on the wheel.

There are options for a right leg amputee but it will be more challenging needing to use three pedals - as a previous response stated, it's usually a pretty simple matter of moving the gas pedal to the other side of the brake so you do everything with your left foot instead of the right when you're only dealing with two pedals. Might find someone with an A8 who wants to swap for the M7?

Good luck with your choices - PM me if you want to talk about anything hand-control related. I've been driving with hand controls for 22 years and the Guido Simplex (Italian company since none of the US companies make a system that allows you to drive with two hands on the steering wheel) is simply the best hand controls around - although there are other options that may be better since you can still use your left leg/foot for gas/brake.

Aaron

Last edited by AaronZ51; 07-13-2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: edit

Get notified of new replies

To Loss of right leg at knee

Quick Reply: Loss of right leg at knee