C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Lowering Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 11:33 AM
OilfieldVette
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lowering Z06

Ive been watching these youtube videos about lowering your Z for free. Unload the leaf spring and turn the bolt all the way down. A couple questions come up in my mind that these videos aren't addressing
  1. Is it really not changing the symmetry of the suspension so that even though it was lowered I don't need to re align it?
  2. They all seem to run the bolt all the way down. Is this because it all or nothing or can one pick a ride height in the middle? Maybe its because all the way down you get an inch lower so why go halfway for half an inch?
  3. Does the ride quality change. I mean I know its a race car with a racing suspension which is stiff enough but does this increase that and remove what little comfort is left? that being said I have the Z07 so does that change anything?
  4. If none of these questions are issues then the question begs to be asked why do they make drop spindles to lower the car?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:46 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,145 Posts

You're exceeding the limits of the stock suspension by lowering the car that way. It won't be an issue right away but over time it will. People on the C6 section has had their suspension "give out" over time after lowering on stock bolts. Although they couldn't really prove that was the culprit, it made sense since that was the only alteration they did to the suspension.

With MAG ride our cars have, i suspect this to have more severe negative effects during long term. I haven't done this to my personal Z so i can't comment on experience and others may chime in saying it's fine. But then i hope the others who have done this will tell you this is true.

Drop spindles are the only way to go if you want to "properly" lower the car. You don't change the geometry of the suspension and you don't exceed the limitations of the stock suspension travel.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:41 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Did it to my C6 Z06 and C7 Z06...
You do need to get an alignment afterwards.
Ride quality may have changed ever so slightly. Maybe everyone else has a more sensitive butt.
30k+ miles on my C6 Z06 and didn't have any suspension component 'give out" and I had it lowered all the way on stock bolts.
Drop spindles are over $3k installed for a drop. No thanks. These cars seem to all come from the factory at all sorts of different ride heights. I don't think a 1/2" - 3/4" drop is going to completely throw things off.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:02 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

i have the same question as number 2, i dont want to go all the way down.. i'd like to go half way. is this possible?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:30 PM
musclesbmf
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

The ride height adjusting bolts are threaded like any other bolt. So you basically have an unlimited choice. Turn them slightly or turn them several time until they bottom out. Without cutting the rubber "bushings" you won't get more than maybe 3/4' drop.

Mark

Last edited by musclesbmf; 07-16-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2018, 08:57 PM
trevor90
Pro

Originally Posted by musclesbmf
The ride height adjusting bolts are threaded like any other both. So you basically have an unlimited choice. Turn them slightly or turn them several time until they bottom out. Without cutting the rubber "bushings" you won't get more than maybe 3/4' drop.

Mark

i was curious as to how one would know how much to turn each bolt to make sure it's even on all 4 corners.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:51 PM
musclesbmf
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90
i was curious as to how one would know how much to turn each bolt to make sure it's even on all 4 corners.
I put a drop of nail polish on 1 edge of the bolt head which is hex 10mm btw. Then count the number of times you turn the bolt. That is saying that each corner is even to begin with.
After adjusting bolts, you have to drive the car around for it to settle back down.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:31 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

If you are wanting to lower just go all the way down. Not worth it to just go half way. The reason is you WILL need an alignment. You are making more NEGATIVE CAMBER which pulls the top of the wheels inward. That will cause inner tire wear, and FAST. Trust me, do it once, get an alignment soon as you do it. Drop spindles would essentially allow more negative camber since you aren't taking camber out by throwing on the spindles, thus keeping suspension geometry closer to stock ride height (just 1" lower). I would still do an alignment, possibly more suited to the driving you do. Drag racing closer to 0 degrees (full contact patch on the tire) camber, track -.6 to -.9 (full contact patch when cornering). I mean why pay $3k for drop spindles and not do a $130 alignment.

FE6, FE7

FRONT:

Caster: 7.4 +/- .6 (cross caster 0.0)
Camber: -.9 +/- .6
Total Toe: .10 +/- .2

REAR:

Caster: 0.0 +/- .8 (0.0 cross caster)
Camber: -1.1 +/- .6
Total Toe: 0.0 +/- .2
Old 07-16-2018, 07:25 PM
trevor90
Pro

thanks guys! so when i take it to the dealer after i lower it and tell them to do an alignment, i'm assuming they will know what to do.. in terms of settings..?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by trevor90
thanks guys! so when i take it to the dealer after i lower it and tell them to do an alignment, i'm assuming they will know what to do.. in terms of settings..?
Not all dealers are the same... A lot of bad ones out there. Try to find a good one where you're located. Ask forum members for recommendations.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:05 PM
trevor90
Pro

Originally Posted by cyi1
Not all dealers are the same... A lot of bad ones out there. Try to find a good one where you're located. Ask forum members for recommendations.

post # 9 is what i need?

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering Z06

Quick Reply: Lowering Z06