C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Buying a 'new' 2017 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:08 AM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
What state is the dealership in? These rules vary state to state. Let me know, and ill give you the real answer.
Dealer is in TN.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:09 AM
hubris140
Pro

Originally Posted by stoessjc
A word of warning regarding registration. You will likely pay the California tax and registration to the seller. However, the seller will send you a check made out to the California DMV for the tax and license and you will need to go to the DMV in person to register the car. I think you have 30 days to complete this. AAA cannot do this for you, so don't waste your time going there. You will also need a smog check, even though it is a new car with CA emissions certification. Now, here is the key point. This car will not pass a normal smog test until you put 1000 miles on it. GM built this into the ECM to break in the emissions system. What you need to do is call the Bureau of Automotive Repair and request an appointment with the referee. The reason you need this is because of this quirky issue with the emissions break in. They will tell you the nearest referee to your location (there are not many locations, so you may have to travel some distance). You will pay $12 and the referee will know what to do to give you the certificate to take to the DMV. Do this before you go to the DMV or you will have to make another trip to complete the process. I would be lying if I told you this was a piece of cake. It was a pita because I did not know about the smog issue and the seller did not tell me. Also, hope that this screwed up state doesn't increase fees between when you bought the car and when you register it. If they did, like what happened to me, you will have to pony up the additional fees.
Thank you for this tidbit, I wouldn't have known this in a million years!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:13 AM
hubris140
Pro

The only problem you may run into are flat spots on the tires from sitting for so long in one spot. However, the car is light and the tires are strong since they are run flats, and its been inside a cool place the entire time, so it might be okay. Other than that, you are fine, the warranty will cover everything. If you dont mind me asking, how did they get to 30 grand off?
The 30k off was listed as 'special sale price' below the 109k MSRP on their website. I negotiated a few thousand down from 79k. Apparently, they bought the dealership a while back and 'inherited' two 100k Z06s that had a hard time getting sold. They were very intent on getting rid of the cars. Not sure if I buy the story but the car seems to be clean.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

well, this is the time of year when GM pulls all incentives from that model year, and once all incentives are pulled at the end of this month, the dealers have to take an even LARGER hit into the red to get the cars off their lots, so right now, they are scared and taking whatever serious buyer than can attract. I am curious, what website let you to find this deal in TN? I am not going to buy your car, i already have one less than a year old, i would just like to know for future reference. I dont need to know the dealer you are buying from, just what website let you to find them, i checked cars.com and saw no deal even close to that, so you are making out like a bandit. Out of curiousity, is there special financing as well offered through GM or do you have to trade rebate money to get that? PM me so the other guys dont steal your deal

As far as TN goes, you will only have 12 months of lemon law instead of cali 18 months, so if you sense anything wrong with the car, get on top of it quick and into a service department, and make sure they replace SOMETHING while it is in for the fix. This all comes in very important later if you have to lemon it for any reason.

The best state to buy cars from is NC, their lemon law is the kindest, as is TX i believe.

In tenessee, as soon as the car is driven off the lot, you own it... but, the transport technically is a gray area. The dealer will most likely push for you to arrange the shipping. If you do this, then YOU are taking the car off the lot. Again, if the car shows up with a scratch or flat spots... i say... who cares. But i dont think it will.

If the dealer arranges shipping, then the other fellow who posted above is correct, you COULD reject the car once it gets to you. More than likely, the dealership will have you as the one who the shipper is contracted to.... if they are smart... and most are at this point.

So the car will be off the lot once the truck picks it up, and it will be YOUR CAR, you wont be able to reject it. But youll be fine. I bought mine like this as well, sight unseen, for a great deal.

Do you know if chevy has 0 percent on them right now, or?
The following users liked this post:
hubris140 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:32 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

https://www.bbb.org/globalassets/loc...ry-02-2015.pdf

there is TN lemon law in case you were curious.
hubris140 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:24 AM
hubris140
Pro

https://www.bbb.org/globalassets/loc...ry-02-2015.pdf

there is TN lemon law in case you were curious.
Nice! So I am covered in a way. Thank you for unearthing this doc, you guys are awesome!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:32 AM
hubris140
Pro

[QUOTE=Mike

Last edited by hubris140; 07-16-2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:34 AM
hubris140
Pro

Do you know if chevy has 0 percent on them right now, or?
I don't think they have 0% financing. He said it may hover around 3-4% but they can give a bit of a discount on the car if I finance thru GM. Will hear back on the specifics tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:52 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hubris140
I don't think they have 0% financing. He said it may hover around 3-4% but they can give a bit of a discount on the car if I finance thru GM. Will hear back on the specifics tomorrow.
9 times out of 10, there is a tradeoff with GM between the financing and the rebate. I would WALK INTO another chevy store tomorrow and get the attention of one of the finance guys and find out the real scoop on z06 at this very moment in time.

I would tell him you have the deal already done and want to know if you got screwed... THEN he will be apt to telling you the whole truth, as you are no longer a potential customer in his eyes.

Dealers are ALLOWED to mark the interest rate up multiple points.

Fincance guys HATE when customers get zero percent on a 80g loan as they cant get a cut of 0 percent now can they? If this is indeed the last month for incentives on 17's, which im guessing it is... if you are getting a deal that good....

dont be surprised if they have 0, .9 or 1.9 financing. THAT rate will save you many thousands of dollars over the life of the loan.

The only thing that can compete is your LOCAL credit unions. They can get you near 2 percent sometimes, so if that is the case, take the c unions loan, and take chevy's rebates.

Someone, somewhere, has better than 4 percent on a new car, i promise you that.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-16-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:56 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

ps, delete/edit your post where you found the car, someone will outbid you and steal the deal tomorrow
Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 AM
artrem
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

A lot of good advice here. All I can say is that I agree with post #11. If I were spending that kind of money on a car, I'd go look at it in person regardless of where it is.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:27 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by artrem
A lot of good advice here. All I can say is that I agree with post #11. If I were spending that kind of money on a car, I'd go look at it in person regardless of where it is.
I agree with this on a used car. However when it comes to new it's not an issue. I've purchased my last 3 vehicles from out of state and site unseen without any issue. It's so easy to do the transaction without going to the dealer and having it dropped of in the driveway.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:43 AM
artrem
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

I agree with this on a used car. However when it comes to new it's not an issue. I've purchased my last 3 vehicles from out of state and site unseen without any issue. It's so easy to do the transaction without going to the dealer and having it dropped of in the driveway.
Good point. I was thinking about used cars. With new, as long as the dealer is trustworthy, I imagine the biggest risk might be damage in transport.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:24 AM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

One other thought. These cars come with a trunk full of junk. Wheel blockers and stuff to use only at the track, a front license plate holder, a special funnel for filling the gas tank from a gasoline can in an emergency, and I think there were a couple other odds and ends in there. Depending on your spoiler type, there may be stuff for that in the trunk, too. If you buy used, you may not get all this stuff if the previous puts it in a box in the garage and forgets about it. Also make sure the dealer installs the splitter and side skirts that come with the car. If they aren't installed when you buy it, at least make sure they get shipped inside the vehicle along with all the other trunk junk.

Last edited by Null Pointer; 07-16-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:27 AM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

That is a great deal and seems like the dealer is communicating well with you. You can pay an independent company to go out and inspect it for a hundred bucks to easy your mind. Get an email from the dealer with the details and go for it. Splurge a little on the transportation if you are worried about it, maybe a company that does high-end cars. I think you will be fine and your getting a great deal. Keep us posted.

Last edited by SLEEKVET; 07-16-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:34 PM
BlackMoon
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

If it's in Knoxville I can check it out for you or I know an inspection service you can use. I also know the service people at one dealer that can check it out for you. Shoot me a PM if I can be of any help.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:38 PM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Thank you for this tidbit, I wouldn't have known this in a million years!
A few years ago (more than 10) I brought a car into The Republic of California and I thought I had 30 days to register it ,since I had done that before. I put down 25 days on the form and they charged me $600 fee for being over 20 days. This was in Feb. of that year and the explanation was that they changed the rules on Jan 1st. I asked for the supervisor and waited for this 20 something to come who said, what’s the problem? I told him and his answer was 20 days - any other questions? I wanted to jump the counter and choke the kid. I’m sure Father Jerry Brown hasn’t changed it back to 30 days. Do not wait passed 20 days the fees are high!
Epilogue; They paid dearly for this as I brought in several cars after that and never registered them in that state.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a 'new' 2017 Z06

Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM
hubris140
Pro

Thanks for all your responses, this is really helpful.

The dealer is charging $600 in doc fees. Is this normal? And they're hoping to capture the CA title+taxes fees themselves. I was hoping to make the tax payment in CA by myself. If I pay them for tax+ title will they give me a form/paperwork that attests to the payment I made which I can then take to the CA DMV?

As some members predicted, I'm getting buried in DMV related ambiguities!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:55 PM
0Yve@Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default May be worth a trip..

I've purchased the last 2 Corvettes out-of-state (`17 C7 Grandsport M7 and my current `17 C7 ZO6 M7). Both times several dealerships were engaged in a "price off" with the various interested options. Yadda Yadda Yadda.... when the decision was made, I actually secured travel one way (airplane,etc) to handle the final deal in person. This allowed me to put eyes on, do my own inspections, make sure the paperwork was correct for my home state of transfer, and.... make sure the trunk had ALL the accessories and items that were to be included with the vehicle.

Not sure if that is an option, but it was work my $100 one way travel expense & I got to DRIVE the car back for a LONG TEST DRIVE!

My 2 cents for what it's worth. Keep us posted on how it goes!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all your responses, this is really helpful.

The dealer is charging $600 in doc fees. Is this normal? And they're hoping to capture the CA title+taxes fees themselves. I was hoping to make the tax payment in CA by myself. If I pay them for tax+ title will they give me a form/paperwork that attests to the payment I made which I can then take to the CA DMV?

As some members predicted, I'm getting buried in DMV related ambiguities!
It is normal for them to charge the doc fee, and in cali dealerships, it is probably higher, so dont stress there. They have to collect the tax to satisfy the lien holder that the car is registered and thus insured properly, and also that it is not being shipped overseas (chevy gets mad at the dealer when that happens)
hubris140 (07-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Buying a 'new' 2017 Z06