C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Buying a 'new' 2017 Z06

Old 07-16-2018, 01:44 PM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hubris140
Thanks for all your responses, this is really helpful.

The dealer is charging $600 in doc fees. Is this normal? And they're hoping to capture the CA title+taxes fees themselves. I was hoping to make the tax payment in CA by myself. If I pay them for tax+ title will they give me a form/paperwork that attests to the payment I made which I can then take to the CA DMV?

As some members predicted, I'm getting buried in DMV related ambiguities!
Usually, if they have a Dealership in their network located in that state(Ca.) they just run it thru that Dealership for the registration and Paperwork. So, the car should be delivered with temporary Title & License. Ask them if that’s how the tax etc. is handled. Especially Cal. they go after the dealers that are connected to cars coming into their Bankrupt State, mainly for Sales tax, even years later. That’s usually why the dealer wants to collect and pay them.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Yve@Edgyvette
I've purchased the last 2 Corvettes out-of-state (`17 C7 Grandsport M7 and my current `17 C7 ZO6 M7). Both times several dealerships were engaged in a "price off" with the various interested options. Yadda Yadda Yadda.... when the decision was made, I actually secured travel one way (airplane,etc) to handle the final deal in person. This allowed me to put eyes on, do my own inspections, make sure the paperwork was correct for my home state of transfer, and.... make sure the trunk had ALL the accessories and items that were to be included with the vehicle.

Not sure if that is an option, but it was work my $100 one way travel expense & I got to DRIVE the car back for a LONG TEST DRIVE!

My 2 cents for what it's worth. Keep us posted on how it goes!
tenessee to cali is over 24 hour test drive and 2000 miles. He will have to get his first oil change in kansas
Old 07-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Hi folks,

I'm getting close to purchasing a leftover 2017 Z06 from an out of state dealer. I'm getting almost 30k off on a 109k MSRP untitled car with ~20 miles on the odometer. Seems like a good deal on the surface. The car seems clean in the photos and the sales person claims the paint is in perfect condition since the car spent all of its 2 years inside the showroom floor on a battery tender and not out on their lot or in the sun. This wasn't a corporate use / track school car and there's no warranty block on the invoice statement as well. Seems like a clean car that they couldn't sell for 2 years.

How do I go about making sure the car is as good as they claim? What are some tell tale signs I can ask for/look for? I'm unable to fly in to check out the car myself. I understand the 3 yr / 36k mile warranty will kick in once I title it, but I'm paranoid about something fragile like a hose failing somewhere because the car wasn't used for a long time.
I picked up a "New" 2017 Z06 Vert in early May with almost the exact same scenario (out of state, low/no miles, indoor showroom kept,etc.)...but there is no way I would have bought it without seeing it first hand...not for that kind of money.

Some here will say, "If its under warranty, GM will take are of it" and generally I completely agree, but I also say who needs the headaches if a known issue could have been addressed or avoided prior to delivery. My experience is dealers will do almost anything reasonable to get a car sold. Fix a light? no problem. Order accessories? No problem. Buff out that scuff? No problem. After the sale? Warranty claim.

My "New" 2017 has been rock solid...maybe one of the best build Corvettes I've ever owned (in terms of post delivery "tweaks"). However, I traveled to the dealer three times, twice to see it, and the third time to close the deal. The first confirmed to me it was in good shape. The second to talk more numbers and take it for a test spin (mainly to listen for odd squeaks or engine hiccups). While it was out of state, I was lucky enough that it was only about 90 minutes away. REGARDLESS, I've driven up to 6 hours away to buy a new car, and I would not be above flying to get one...but thats just me.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:00 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 584 Likes on 515 Posts

What state is the dealer located? I bought mine from NV, I'm a CA resident.. Registration was a pain..

-Josh
Old 07-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

again, at 30g off, these guys are going to talk you out of a deal because that dealer can sell that car to anyone who walks through the door and at that price, someone will.

Deposits only hold cars 24 hours, and then the other salesman have a right to sell it to their customers. Dont waste time listening to these guys.

even if you need 3 grand in repairs... you still win.

Have them fedex you the paperwork and get your financing in order at a local credit union and stop by a chevy store on your way home to see if they have 0 percent. Even if their paperwork is wrong, they can fedex new paperwork the next day... paperwork in the mail holds a car deal from other salesmen selling the car to their customers.

otherwise, you are going to hate all these folks later when you miss the deal. 30 grand off makes everything everyone here is saying... a moot point.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-16-2018 at 07:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
g.reed (07-25-2018), hubris140 (07-26-2018), Null Pointer (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
What state is the dealer located? I bought mine from NV, I'm a CA resident.. Registration was a pain..

-Josh
we have said tenessee multiple times... and he is in cali... its alomost a 2000 mile journey.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

ps, the car has 220 miles, not 20. But even so, the warranty will have you covered. This is why the dealer explained they bought it from another dealer, to justify the miles all the cars were driven.
The following users liked this post:
Null Pointer (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:48 PM
fly a Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stoessjc
If you are buying from a forum dealer, you are well protected from the car being shipped with a defect because forum dealers care about their reputation. Not a forum dealer, still have a reputation but it is harder to attack that reputation from out of state. You could post a request on this forum for any c7 z06 owner in the vicinity of the dealer to drop by and take a quick look over and report back to you. I bet you can find someone who would do this gratis. Just the way most of the corvette family treat each other. You could always send them a gift card as a token of appreciation.

I bought my 2017 z06 from Mike Furman and I live in Southern California. He sent me pictures and did a detailed inspection. Car showed up in perfect condition and I have been enjoying it ever since. You got the warranty to cover any problems other than something done to the car at the dealership or in transit.

A word of warning regarding registration. You will likely pay the California tax and registration to the seller. However, the seller will send you a check made out to the California DMV for the tax and license and you will need to go to the DMV in person to register the car. I think you have 30 days to complete this. AAA cannot do this for you, so don't waste your time going there. You will also need a smog check, even though it is a new car with CA emissions certification. Now, here is the key point. This car will not pass a normal smog test until you put 1000 miles on it. GM built this into the ECM to break in the emissions system. What you need to do is call the Bureau of Automotive Repair and request an appointment with the referee. The reason you need this is because of this quirky issue with the emissions break in. They will tell you the nearest referee to your location (there are not many locations, so you may have to travel some distance). You will pay $12 and the referee will know what to do to give you the certificate to take to the DMV. Do this before you go to the DMV or you will have to make another trip to complete the process. I would be lying if I told you this was a piece of cake. It was a pita because I did not know about the smog issue and the seller did not tell me. Also, hope that this screwed up state doesn't increase fees between when you bought the car and when you register it. If they did, like what happened to me, you will have to pony up the additional fees.

Enjoy the z06 and the great deal you are getting on an amazing automobile.
My experience in 8/16 on my 16Z differed. I bought it from Rick Conti in Ohio, paid the OH 6% sales tax and got an Ohio title. I took it and all paperwork to my local AAA office where in the parking lot I pointed out the CA emissions sticker under the hood. Then inside they saw the smog check paper from a local smog shop. I paid the difference between Ohio's and CA's sales tax and walked out with the CA registration paper and the August and 2017 stickers. They only do this for members; I'm one.

Joel
Mikec7z (07-16-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:48 AM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't think there is any way you can purchase a car and have it delivered with zero risk of finding a problem; that's the tradeoff for finding a very nice car at reduced price and being able to "shop" the entire country.

If you have no option to inspect the car first, I'd consider asking your sales person to take some pictures to send to you. As much as anything, this will assure he's looking and checking the right kinds of things.

Consider this;
  • Pictures of the underside of the front end to be sure no-one damaged it during the 20 miles while pulling up close to curbs.
  • Pictures of all 4 wheels to be sure no rim damage occurred
  • Pictures of critical gaps at doors, hood, and trunk areas
  • Pictures of rear tires to be sure there are no deep scratches parallel to the tread (indicating they have been spun)
  • Picture of odometer to assure 20 miles is actual
  • Picture of Window sticker to be sure it's optioned exactly as the invoice says
  • Video of engine running, listen for any unusual sounds

No doubt that pictures aren't as good as you actually being there, but will give your salesperson the knowledge that you're very particular and that the kinds of things you'll be inspecting when the car arrives.

The best way to keep from having a misunderstanding, is being dang sure you have a good understanding!

Good luck!
hubris140 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:28 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

did this deal ever come together for you, or are you still searching?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:11 AM
StingBeeZ06
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I live in CO. I have purchased out of state cars from IA, FL, CA, NV. None of them collected tax or required me to title the car in the state where I purchased the vehicle.
On 100% of them, I paid the tax, plate fee, etc. when I registered them in CO. But these were all cash deals, no financial institutions involved.
hubris140 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:01 AM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

My 2017 was set up as a courtesy delivery at a CA dealer for all the DMV paperwork and pick up. I did pay for the car and CA taxes through the out of state dealer, and only did the DMV registration at the CA dealer to avoid any emission check issues.
hubris140 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:28 AM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
did this deal ever come together for you, or are you still searching?
Hello, sorry for the lack of updates. The deal came thru, agonizingly slow! Over the past week, we settled on the price, I got financing in order, wired the downpayment and the dealer is now prepping the car for shipping. Car should be picked up by Plycar over the next few days. Will post updates once the car is here!
The following 2 users liked this post by hubris140:
Big Lebowski (07-25-2018), Mikec7z (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:31 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

nice, did you get them down even further?!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:33 AM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
nice, did you get them down even further?!
Not too much from the 79,999 I started with, I was able to get 3k more in rebates. Sale price is now at $76,999.

Last edited by hubris140; 07-25-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Mikec7z (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:44 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

33g off then right?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:04 AM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Congrats ! Look forward to seeing the pictures...

hubris140 (07-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a 'new' 2017 Z06

Old 07-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Not too much from the 79,999 I started with, I was able to get 3k more in rebates. Sale price is now at $76,999.
That is an amazing deal.
Mikec7z (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:05 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Hello, sorry for the lack of updates. The deal came thru, agonizingly slow! Over the past week, we settled on the price, I got financing in order, wired the downpayment and the dealer is now prepping the car for shipping. Car should be picked up by Plycar over the next few days. Will post updates once the car is here!
Congrats on your new car! Don't worry about it too much I'm sure your car will be fine.

I'm in a similar situation to yours. I'm in TX & I'm buying a 2018 from a dealer in GA. I'm signing the final paperwork today & the car will be ready to be picked up by Friday. I wasn't able to go out to GA to see the car in person either & mine isn't even brand new like yours (mine has a bit under 750 miles on it). I've bought cars sight unseen before & had them shipped to me & it has always turned out well.
hubris140 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 01:33 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

out of curiosity, did gm have good rates or did you go through your local credit union, etc?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a 'new' 2017 Z06