C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best Forged Wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:09 AM
OmarZ06
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
$2k is a little light for Forged wheels, but you may find something on the used market that'll be a high quality Forged wheel. From time to time I see HRE Wheels being sold as used just in case you want to check the classifieds for a great deal. We do have sets that could be as little as $5400 realistically (in a 19/20" fitment using our HRE 540).

That's not Forged though...

Forgeline is another brand to consider here. No point in considering the bad no-name brands out there, they're going to put you in the same boat that you're in with the OE wheels. If your goal is to get into a wheel set that won't bend or break, go high quality, don't go cheap and cheerful because you'll end up buying replacements just like the OE's.
Was checking out the HRE 540s a while ago, are they stronger than OEM Z wheels?? Do they come with a warranty?

I know these are the lowest plain HREs you can get into a Z06 without adding all the personal color taste, caps, lug nuts etc... hows their history as far as reliability been any bent or cracked cases that happened out of the blue (supposedly) like we get here reporting OEM Z/GS wheels?? I DD my car don't do track or drag strip

thank you

Last edited by OmarZ06; 07-17-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:59 AM
thewb
Supporting Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by OmarZ06
Was checking out the HRE 540s a while ago, are they stronger than OEM Z wheels?? Do they come with a warranty?

I know these are the lowest plain HREs you can get into a Z06 without adding all the personal color taste, caps, lug nuts etc... hows their history as far as reliability been any bent or cracked cases that happened out of the blue (supposedly) like we get here reporting OEM Z/GS wheels?? I DD my car don't do track or drag strip

thank you
Although the 540 is HRE's most affordable custom forged wheel it is still above & beyond the level of quality of many other wheels manufacturers. With them you get a 2-year finish warranty and lifetime structural warranty. In addition. you can still customize the wheels to your liking as they offer over a dozen standard finish. HRE has been in business for over 40 years and are often regarded as the pinnacle of wheel quality. They are without a doubt stronger than the OEM wheels and you'd be extremely happy if you acquired a set knowing it was specifically built for you.
The following users liked this post:
tertiumquid (07-19-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:18 AM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

thank you
Frankly to be honest it sounds like I could forge an entire wheel of Cheese and it'll be stronger than the OE's considering how many breaks and bends we've seen so far on this platform.

Yes, ALL HRE Wheels come with a Lifetime Structural Warranty, and a 2-year finish warranty. The 540's, despite being a lower price point Forged wheel, are still used with the same forgings that we use for other model wheels, so it's not from a quality standpoint why the wheels are priced lower, rather it's machining time. The 540's take about 35-45 minutes to cut the center for each wheel, whereas our S200 for example can take about 7 hours per wheel.

Corvette guys absolutely love the 540's and they've been proven in all situations over the years. In all honesty I believe more 540's have been sold to Corvette customers than any other car so you'll see guys using them for Drag Racing or Road Racing, either way they'll hold up to whatever you put them through.
The following 2 users liked this post by HRE_Jurrian:
Glenn Kline (05-27-2019), tertiumquid (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:28 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

I have Signature wheels on my car in 20/21 and I really like them. The quality is great, they are 6061-T6 forged aluminum and come with certifications. Many guys on this forum use them as track sets and they are very affordable for a true forged wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZF Six:
Deity.Motorsports (07-17-2018), tertiumquid (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:11 PM
OmarZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by thewb
Although the 540 is HRE's most affordable custom forged wheel it is still above & beyond the level of quality of many other wheels manufacturers. With them you get a 2-year finish warranty and lifetime structural warranty. In addition. you can still customize the wheels to your liking as they offer over a dozen standard finish. HRE has been in business for over 40 years and are often regarded as the pinnacle of wheel quality. They are without a doubt stronger than the OEM wheels and you'd be extremely happy if you acquired a set knowing it was specifically built for you.
thank you! now my wallet is more tempted to spend on the 540s!
The following 2 users liked this post by OmarZ06:
tertiumquid (07-17-2018), thewb (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:15 PM
OmarZ06
Instructor

Frankly to be honest it sounds like I could forge an entire wheel of Cheese and it'll be stronger than the OE's considering how many breaks and bends we've seen so far on this platform.

Yes, ALL HRE Wheels come with a Lifetime Structural Warranty, and a 2-year finish warranty. The 540's, despite being a lower price point Forged wheel, are still used with the same forgings that we use for other model wheels, so it's not from a quality standpoint why the wheels are priced lower, rather it's machining time. The 540's take about 35-45 minutes to cut the center for each wheel, whereas our S200 for example can take about 7 hours per wheel.

Corvette guys absolutely love the 540's and they've been proven in all situations over the years. In all honesty I believe more 540's have been sold to Corvette customers than any other car so you'll see guys using them for Drag Racing or Road Racing, either way they'll hold up to whatever you put them through.
Thank you for the breakdown now I have even more reason to spend on the 540s when the time comes
The following 3 users liked this post by OmarZ06:
HRE_Jurrian (07-17-2018), tertiumquid (07-17-2018), thewb (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:57 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Thank you for the breakdown now I have even more reason to spend on the 540s when the time comes
Thanks to everybody for all the helpful and supportive advice. For now, while I'm out of town for awhile, I'm just going to have the OEM's straightened but it's only a stop gap measure as far as I'm concerned. Omar, as soon as the tires need replacing I'll be in touch to talk about the 540's. What's the ballpark price if I add a color like the red frosted?
Old 07-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by C5-VERT
The only way to get close to $2k for all 4 forged wheels is for sure a one piece. Not even sure you can find that for $2k, most likely used . Most are going to start around $3,500 to $4k. Especially for a decent set. Signature Wheels (4-5 week build time, find Khoa @ Deity), Forgelines/HRE you won't get close for that price. Maybe one wheel lol. Lot's of guys here are running Signature wheels including myself, in fact some may be for sale used for better prices you are looking for. Used may be your best bet.

Did you have to run a wider offset to get them to clear the brakes? I am looking at this type of wheel, but want to stay with the stock 19 20 combo, and am wondering if i will need to change the offset to get them to clear the front and back brakes?

Also, what metal diffuser is that?f

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-17-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:25 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Did you have to run a wider offset to get them to clear the brakes? I am looking at this type of wheel, but want to stay with the stock 19 20 combo, and am wondering if i will need to change the offset to get them to clear the front and back brakes?
Most aftermarket wheels will be a different offset from factory anyway.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZF Six
Most aftermarket wheels will be a different offset from factory anyway.
correct, but the goal for me is NOT to run a different offset, as the wheel/tire insurance that i have will cover aftermarket wheels so long as they are not different dimensions than stock.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Forgeline Support
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
Thanks to everybody for all the helpful and supportive advice. For now, while I'm out of town for awhile, I'm just going to have the OEM's straightened but it's only a stop gap measure as far as I'm concerned. Omar, as soon as the tires need replacing I'll be in touch to talk about the 540's. What's the ballpark price if I add a color like the red frosted?
If your main goal is to not bend the wheels I would recommend going with a one piece monoblock... I believe the 540 is a three piece wheel... I would at least suggest getting a quote from one of our Forum Partners like CWFL... I would also recommend staying with an American manufacturer that actually makes the wheels... We have 25 years of racing experience and the racers hit burms and curbs at over 100 miles an hour.. If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 800 886 0093 xt 11
Old 07-17-2018, 05:15 PM
0JDP Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

we sell some at JDP Motorsports we can see what we can order you! or even making the car look just that much better!
shoot me a email at antonio@jdpmotorsports.com

Best Regards,
Antonio Velarde
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think it's good to know what HRE's "Lifetime Structural Warranty" includes and excludes. From its website, "Exclusions From Warranty" states:

"3) Any kind of impact or abuse resulting from bends/bending of rim parts, collision/impacts, pot holes, flat tires, curbing, racing, accident, fire, vandalism or rubbing due to projection from the wheel well."

While it may be unusual to break a well-made forged wheel, I'd think it'd be quite difficult to prove a break or bend that wasn't covered in #3 above and thus exclude an owner from a claim of structural issues. I'm willing to learn otherwise.

https://www.hrewheels.com/warranty-return-policy
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
Gunsmokez (12-10-2021), VNAMVET (01-12-2020)
Old 07-18-2018, 02:14 AM
0Deity.Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

He elected to run max concave and flush with the fenders. You can run stock offset with ease, will be less concave though.

The fins on the diffuser... I believe they are made by Borla
The following 2 users liked this post by Deity.Motorsports:
C5-VERT (07-20-2018), Mikec7z (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 03:16 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Deity.Motorsports

He elected to run max concave and flush with the fenders. You can run stock offset with ease, will be less concave though.

The fins on the diffuser... I believe they are made by Borla
thought so. Hit me up with a price on these style wheels in stock z06 offsets please, that will still clear the brakes. We can discuss color later, and I wont get anything that costs extra, or i will pay the upcharge. Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 AM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I think it's good to know what HRE's "Lifetime Structural Warranty" includes and excludes. From its website, "Exclusions From Warranty" states:

"3) Any kind of impact or abuse resulting from bends/bending of rim parts, collision/impacts, pot holes, flat tires, curbing, racing, accident, fire, vandalism or rubbing due to projection from the wheel well."

While it may be unusual to break a well-made forged wheel, I'd think it'd be quite difficult to prove a break or bend that wasn't covered in #3 above and thus exclude an owner from a claim of structural issues. I'm willing to learn otherwise.

https://www.hrewheels.com/warranty-return-policy
In a nutshell, if it's a manufacturing defect, absolutely that gets taken care of. If you accidentally curbed your wheel going into an automatic car wash though, that's on you. Not every case is black and white, which is why we review each individual case with a team of HRE employee's including engineers to verify the cause and to take appropriate action where necessary.

If you ever want an unbiased opinion on how our customer service is, just ask another HRE owner!
The following 2 users liked this post by HRE_Jurrian:
tertiumquid (07-19-2018), thewb (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 02:51 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

In a nutshell, if it's a manufacturing defect, absolutely that gets taken care of. If you accidentally curbed your wheel going into an automatic car wash though, that's on you. Not every case is black and white, which is why we review each individual case with a team of HRE employee's including engineers to verify the cause and to take appropriate action where necessary.

If you ever want an unbiased opinion on how our customer service is, just ask another HRE owner!
i guess what we are all saying is... how on earth do we prove the wheel was not made right, and prove that we didn't simply hit a bump?

Seems like a no win for the customer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
sadgsowner (03-15-2019), spinkick (04-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Best Forged Wheels???

Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 PM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Whatever high end wheels you need give us a hollar, been here a long time and gonna be here alot longer. We will let you debate whats the best but I can surely say not all whees are created equal and in the end you do usually get what you pay for. You can buy rolex for 10k and you can buy a wannabe fake Rolex for $20, and looks identical. People will sell you on bs and use fancy terms but in the end only a handful of manufacturer have withstood the test of time!

Do your homework and if we can help call or text me anytime. Thats right anytime no set hours and you can reach me at 440-915-6166

When you or your kids did sports when you needed cleats or running shoes did you goto the store and say give me the cheapest running shoes you have? No you paid good money for a comfortable set and a shoe that holds up over time, its no different with wheels, you can buy the generics made overseas and save money or you can go woth proven leaders in the industry that will probably cost you more. But looking for cheap racing wheels is a no no in our game guys!

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Last edited by CW4L; 07-21-2018 at 08:12 AM.
tertiumquid (07-19-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:53 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
Ok, let me simplify my question by explaining the circumstances. I've had bad luck with the original rims. Three are bent and at least one is cracked, probably all three. What I want to accomplish is a solution that will get me away from repeating the problem. It currently has the Michelin SS run flats. One of them has suffered somewhat in the form of a wear spot in the middle of the left rear from the bent wheel but there's probably a good 5k miles left in them. i only use the car on the street, never on a track and even then I'm pretty easy on it. I'm in Atlanta so there's not a lot of pavement problems here and I have no recollect of hitting anything that might have caused the problems, especially on 3 out of 4 tires. I'd rather have an quieter and less harsh ride that the Michelin's and probably would switch over to Conti's. There's a reputable wheel repair shop in Atlanta who can supposedly straighten them out but having never had this problem before I have no idea how well that would work out. I'd hate to spend 500 bucks to repair them only to find them bend again in 6 months. What I want to find is the best and most economical combination of wheels, tires or repair. Right now, I don't even want to drive it since it rides pretty much like a '50 Studebaker pickup I had years ago. I'm grateful for anybody's advice and wisdom on this one.
If you are driving in 'Track' mode, that is part of your problem, Track is for the track only....
tertiumquid (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Fit and finish is perfect. No rubbing at all. Factory size 19/20 w/ custom offset for deep concave (I am going with 18's + ET Streets for drag) and have Cup 2's on now for Roebling road track events. It was crucial I went with strong and certified forged wheels that others have ran for years and love. Just go with what you want bud. That's all that matters. Do your homework, but most if not all vendors on here are legit. They wouldn't be here long if not.

The diffuser is Borla, which unfortunately you have to have their exhaust (I have ATAK) to mate. The diffuser bolts to the exhaust, with no vibrations it's solid once all bolted up. You can adjust angle as well. Hope this helps!

Last edited by C5-VERT; 07-20-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Forged Wheels???