C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Cup 2 problems or the car or the Z07 suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

How many times does this need to be addressed about the special 2 REAR caster tools needed. It is a digital alignment tool + an adapter tool. BOTH of these can be ordered by the Service Manager thru Global Connect using the Tool Loan program. It will be sent by 2 day mail (FREE) or can be overnited if customer wants to pay. The tool can be kept for 5 days then returned, nothing to purchase by anyone. Just had this done 2 July at my GM dealer who doesn't even sell ANY corvettes. I went in with the instructions of how to do this & was shocked when the service manager said "Sure I know how to do this, we service quite a few vettes". I knelt by his desk & watched him log on to Global Connect site, hit the enable button for tool loan & site shows if the tool is available (should be). He ordered it, came in right on time, scheduled-did the alignment & back the tool went. Was kinda strange they had the adapter at the dealer but not the actual Digital readout tool. I believe there is an annual fee of approx. $700 by dealer to have this access but they need many specialty tools that are too expensive to buy but needed many times per yr. on other models so is very cost effective. PS: Just googled GM tool loan program & first site explains it started in 2016 & how dealers use it.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:24 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Amirns
I have the cup2 on my car and I got the car a week ago and daily it (im changing the tires soon), but it gets very sketchy at times when I hit small holes on the road or any part of the road thats not smooth the car starts pulling and here in LA we dont have the best highways so at 80mph when I hit a imperfection on the road the wheel pulls and it very scary. Anyone have the same experience? Is it the cup2's or maybe the z07 suspension? Any tips would be appreciated
Just a thought but what drive mode (steering) are you using? For many of us Tour Steering mode is way too sensitive to road changes even just the weight of hand(s) on steering wheel cause you to constantly make minute adjustments. Very easy for car to wander if you take your eyes off the road for even a few seconds. Again (you probably know) the STEERING (Tour/Sport/Track) mode can be selected separate from driving mode or linked to it. Just a thought since you didn't say what steering mode you drove in.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:54 PM
Amirns
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Just a thought but what drive mode (steering) are you using? For many of us Tour Steering mode is way too sensitive to road changes even just the weight of hand(s) on steering wheel cause you to constantly make minute adjustments. Very easy for car to wander if you take your eyes off the road for even a few seconds. Again (you probably know) the STEERING (Tour/Sport/Track) mode can be selected separate from driving mode or linked to it. Just a thought since you didn't say what steering mode you drove in.
I have it set to track steering exactly because of the reason you mentioned. The tour mode makes it way too soft and sensitive. As for the suspension I have tried both sport and tour, I use touring mode for when im driving normally and sometimes sport for when im pushing the car in corners in the backroads but it still happens, a little more in tour mode. I will get it aligned and add the magnetic ride suspension upgrade within the week
The following users liked this post:
madrob2020 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:14 PM
1 HOT 07
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Alignment.

I LOVE my Sport Cup 2s. Got 16k out of the first set and now have 4k into the second set. Amazing sticky tire. My car is stable at speed and not at all twitchy like you speak of. I did get a proper STREET 4 wheel alignment at one of the larger Corvette dealers here in Houston right after I got the car. Tires wear very evenly.
How did you manage to get 16K out of your Cup 2's? I got 9K and they were slick and had almost no traction. Replaced with the PSS's. Much better street tire, but not as good at sticking like the Cup 2's.

Last edited by 1 HOT 07; 07-17-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:29 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
How many times does this need to be addressed about the special 2 REAR caster tools needed. It is a digital alignment tool + an adapter tool. BOTH of these can be ordered by the Service Manager thru Global Connect using the Tool Loan program. It will be sent by 2 day mail (FREE) or can be overnited if customer wants to pay. The tool can be kept for 5 days then returned, nothing to purchase by anyone. Just had this done 2 July at my GM dealer who doesn't even sell ANY corvettes. I went in with the instructions of how to do this & was shocked when the service manager said "Sure I know how to do this, we service quite a few vettes". I knelt by his desk & watched him log on to Global Connect site, hit the enable button for tool loan & site shows if the tool is available (should be). He ordered it, came in right on time, scheduled-did the alignment & back the tool went. Was kinda strange they had the adapter at the dealer but not the actual Digital readout tool. I believe there is an annual fee of approx. $700 by dealer to have this access but they need many specialty tools that are too expensive to buy but needed many times per yr. on other models so is very cost effective. PS: Just googled GM tool loan program & first site explains it started in 2016 & how dealers use it.
It was my question to Tadge that got the tool added to the Loan Program. You can check his response in the Answered Section of the Ask Tadge forum. However, not all dealers are as adept as yours. By the time it was added I already had my own tools and do my own alignments.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
madrob2020 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:03 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 HOT 07
How did you manage to get 16K out of your Cup 2's? I got 9K and they were slick and had almost no traction. Replaced with the PSS's. Much better street tire, but not as good at sticking like the Cup 2's.

Mine wore evenly and still had tread above the wear indicator. Likely could have gotten 2k or more out of them but was headed out on a fairly long vacation trip to the San Juan mountains. I drive the car pretty hard when I have the chance. I was pretty amazed at their life span as I only got 10k on the Potenza's I ran on my Ford GT.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 PM
dcanada
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default This is great advice.

Originally Posted by hcvone
The 3 things that helped my Z07 drive 100 times better on the street, one, get you car aligned by someone who knows how to do a new Corvette, mine was off from the factory, and the alignment was covered under warranty. Two, get rid of the cup tires if your just driving on the street. Three, get the magnetic suspension update, it made my car night and day difference on the roads I drive on.
I did all three on my newly acquired 16 Z07 convertible and it is an amazing difference. I went with the Non runflat Continental Extreme Contact tires. My dealership had handled 1 MRC update prior to mine and it went well. They also had all the tools for the proper alignment. I love my Z even more!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I have to disagree with those that think the Z06 handling problems is in the alignment. Its made for perfect roads and not very forgiving on anything else! My base stingray is much better all around driving car than my Z06 and yes the alignment has been checked. There is less tire between the rim and road with the Z06 and their width does not fit the ruts in the road created by heavy trucks. It is strictly two hands on the wheel when you encounter this. The radial tire has the ability to adjust to road conditions so movement is not transmitted to the driver. But this advantage is lost with rubber band tires and runflat design!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Lasco001
When I read your report, I'm a bit surprised.
What are those only for workshops, Corvette Handler without tools?
In the US, the parent company of the Corvette

We do a lot of alignments on the C7 Corvettes.
I always say to my boys:
On the Corvette C7, the rear axle / caster alignment is the most important.

Cölestin
At the dealership each Service Advisor and Mechanic has the complete set of manuals for every car made by GM on their personal work station. It only takes them minutes to find something if they look.

Bill

Quick Reply: Cup 2 problems or the car or the Z07 suspension?