C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Manual vs Auto

Old 07-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I'm not sure what you mean. From the much I have read, the fastest lap times for the ZR1 at various tracks (rivaling or bettering the best "showroom stock and road legal" times ever set by any car), have been set with the A8, not the manual.
what I mean is I have not seen ANY M7 ZR1 times so to say "all the fastest times are set by the A8" is true when they aren't running the M7. fastest compared to other cars, sure. faster than the M7? not sure about that.....since this thread is about corvette manual vs auto, not other cars.

are they running both? I haven't actively looked. The M7 Z06 put down faster lap times in apples to apples (both updated intercooler and suspension settings) tests vs the A8, not sure an extra 100 HP applied to either trans would change that.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:21 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
I'm thinking about getting back in the fold. Who has had or driven both? Opinions. I'm sure both are great so I don't want a war of words, just honest opinions.Thanks.
Having had both, the A8 in the ‘17 GS and the M7 in our current ‘19 Z06, I would give edge to the M7. My wife also prefers the M7. The A8 was also fun to drive but I felt myself getting lazy and not using the paddles that much.
The following 2 users liked this post by B&BVettes:
MP&RPZ06 (07-22-2018), Z0HS1CK (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,182 Likes on 2,132 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Could be wrong, but I believe he means so far, the only (or most-see how I hedge my bet) used is the A8. Why did I get sucked into this?
I wasnt even talking about m7 vs a8 so idk why that other guy mentioned it. Old age I guess lol.

I was strictly talking about the zf trans in the hellcat vs the GM 8 speed.

the zf is a superior trans. No matter how you slice it.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:24 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
what I mean is I have not seen ANY M7 ZR1 times so to say "all the fastest times are set by the A8" is true when they aren't running the M7. fastest compared to other cars, sure. faster than the M7? not sure about that.....since this thread is about corvette manual vs auto, not other cars.

are they running both? I haven't actively looked. The M7 Z06 put down faster lap times in apples to apples (both updated intercooler and suspension settings) tests vs the A8, not sure an extra 100 HP applied to either trans would change that.
exactly. For some reason I'm not even sure that other guy knows what hes arguing about. He has his posts all mixed up lol

But it's all good. Again like I said were all family and every vette is good.

but you really have to be open minded and accept that some things are just better.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 07-20-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:42 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I wasnt even talking about m7 vs a8 so idk why that other guy mentioned it. Old age I guess lol.

I was strictly talking about the zf trans in the hellcat vs the GM 8 speed.

the zf is a superior trans. No matter how you slice it.
Was referring to warpfactor's reply (post 79) to Higgs.

Last edited by madrob2020; 07-20-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:51 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Was referring to warpfactor's reply (post 79) to Higgs.
I know.

But i was talking about this, warp's post to me.

Depends on what you want to do with the car. On the dragstrip, the A8 is faster than the M7 in nearly all instances. With the ZR1, the fastest lap times are being set with the A8. It definitely doesn't have "the retro feel" of stick-jerker though, if that's what one is after
I was talking about the ZF trans in the hellcat vs the GM 8 speed. For like the last 2 pages.

But not sure why he brought up the M7 lol
Old 07-20-2018, 05:01 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

but you really have to be open minded and accept that some things are just better.
Agreed. So why is this so difficult for you, when when it comes to automatics?

If you would prefer a car with manual roll-up windows, levers for manual spark and fuel mixture adjustment on the steering column, and a hand crank sticking out the front of the car for starting, just be honest and up-front about that. If you should do that, no problem. There are plenty of car with such features one can buy. Did you buy a Z06, expecting a "throwback" car?

Old 07-20-2018, 05:02 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

If I buy this, will you guys wear it?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Agreed. So why is this so difficult for you, when when it comes to automatics?

If you would prefer a car with manual roll-up windows, levers for manual spark and fuel mixture adjustment on the steering column, and a hand crank sticking out the front of the car for starting, just be honest and up-front about that. If you should do that, no problem. There are plenty of car with such features one can buy. Did you buy a Z06, expecting a "throwback" car?
You're running around in circles with your own argument.

The original topic was manual vs auto. OP's current car is a hellcat. In which has a ZF trans. A superior trans to the GM 8 speed.

I then said he will be disappointed going from a car with the ZF to the Z with the 8 speed because of different characteristics. I experienced both so i know. No i'm not an expert and neither is anyone here but i am speaking from what i know. And you already saw some members chime in agreeing with me. The ZF is just a better trans. Period.

Why is that too hard for you to understand? As far as the actual manual. GM still offers it so obviously people will buy it. The auto's are for women and/or guys who are too old to drive a manual.

Which group do you fall in?

PS: i actually went to the chevy dealer to get a grand sport initially. But they only had auto's in stock. I spent the 5k more to get the manual Z

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 07-20-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:12 PM
NWbluez06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Perfect answer

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Funny how many people always think their choice is the best. Kind of like asking what the best motor oil or wax is. There is no right or wrong answer. What works for someone else doesn't always work for me. I made the decision to go with the A8 because I've driven manual shift performance cars most of my life and wanted to try something different. Doesn't mean that my choice is the best choice, it just means that it works for me and I have no regrets. I'm sure this debate will continue for years to come, but at the end of the day you have to choose the transmission that makes you happy.
Yup... this is why I still own my C6Z! And bought the "faster" C7Z W/A8... and yes modified with over 100 extra HP and can be driven all day at the track with no issues!!!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:55 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

The ZF is just a better trans. Period.
Got it, you've said this more than once. Are you one who can't tell the difference between repetition, and evidence?
The auto's are for women and/or guys who are too old to drive a manual.
That explains a lot, right there. You think you need to drive a manual, as some sort of token of masculinity or youth, because you are insecure about having anything more substantial to offer.
PS: i actually went to the chevy dealer to get a grand sport initially. But they only had auto's in stock. I spent the 5k more to get the manual z
Of course you did! See above.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Got it, you've said this more than once. Are you one who can't tell the difference between repetition, and evidence?
Things need to be said over and over when one doesn't understand it. Go back early in the thread and see who took the bait first

All i need to do is make one comment and now i can expect you to be right there with an aimless attempt at a proper reply. Still haven't seen it yet though. But i'm sure you'll get there.

That explains a lot, right there. You think you need to drive a manual, as some sort of token of masculinity or youth, because you are insecure about having anything more substantial to offer.
Never said that, you did lol

Or do you not see the pattern of thread where an owner says, "knee going bad, can't drive my car anymore"? lol

If i was insecure, i wouldn't have bought a Z, but something AMG lol. You know, a world class luxury performance car, with a PROPER automatic

Of course you did! See above.
Yup, really happy i went the MANual route
Old 07-20-2018, 07:08 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

MODERATORS: For the love of all that is holy, close this thread. The OP's original PERTINENT info question has been answered numerous times.

Last edited by madrob2020; 07-20-2018 at 07:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by madrob2020:
lupicon (07-20-2018), Z0HS1CK (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:37 PM
NWbluez06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Default With respect

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
had a 2014 Stingray M7 and didn't like the M7.
had a 2016 Z06 A8 and really hated the A8.
have a 2017 Z06 M7 and don't like the M7.

had the A8 in several trucks (denalis) and hated the A8 in those also.
have customers that have bought Denalis and complain about the A8.

have a 2018 raptor also with the 10 speed and I like that much better.
the problem is GM sucks at calibrating transmissions. a retune can help the A8 quite a bit but I still won't buy another one.
I also agree... my A8 6.2 in my truck is not something to brag about... much different calibration in the Z... if you can modify your Z to handle the heat.... just WOW! MY A8 Callaway will "PUCKER" Your *** and you won't be thinking about an M7 as you pass ANY ON THE TRACK!
Old 07-20-2018, 11:50 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

MODERATORS: For the love of all that is holy, close this thread. The OP's original PERTINENT info question has been answered numerous times.
The sexist, insecure comments warrant it alone. It's like high school without the maturity-- if you even fathom that.
Shut 'er down. Can we somehow ban any future threads on auto vs manual?

Last edited by lupicon; 07-20-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:19 AM
MP&RPZ06
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by B&BVettes

Having had both, the A8 in the ‘17 GS and the M7 in our current ‘19 Z06, I would give edge to the M7. My wife also prefers the M7. The A8 was also fun to drive but I felt myself getting lazy and not using the paddles that much.
A few weeks ago, my wife and I took a trip to the east coast. Rockport MA area, we left on a Friday morning, great trip there until we hit the dreaded Friday 5PM traffic in Boston area. For the first time in my M7 or C6Z's, I was second guessing the whole shifting thing! 300 miles driven, the last 70 were just plan hell. Stop and go for two hours, I would of loved to have a A8 at that point in time. But on another note we are planning to go to Mount Washington, M7 will be the way to go down that little hill. Both have pros and cons in every form from Track to Road, and I wish GM would come out with a snappy auto, like a McLaren or Porsche PDK, we could only dream.
The following 2 users liked this post by MP&RPZ06:
lupicon (07-22-2018), Z0HS1CK (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by MP&RPZ06
A few weeks ago, my wife and I took a trip to the east coast. Rockport MA area, we left on a Friday morning, great trip there until we hit the dreaded Friday 5PM traffic in Boston area. For the first time in my M7 or C6Z's, I was second guessing the whole shifting thing! 300 miles driven, the last 70 were just plan hell. Stop and go for two hours, I would of loved to have a A8 at that point in time. But on another note we are planning to go to Mount Washington, M7 will be the way to go down that little hill. Both have pros and cons in every form from Track to Road, and I wish GM would come out with a snappy auto, like a McLaren or Porsche PDK, we could only dream.
That's why we have hopes for the C8, that GM will finally put a PROPER auto.

Then when i upgrade, i can finally go auto. If not, then i hope there's a manual version still but i'm starting to doubt it. I really think GM will only put the manual for the base models (probably with the twin turbo v6) but the performance oriented models like the z06, if it's still called that, will only have the A8 or some sort of variant from that. But if it's not DCT, then no gracias.

If all else fails, i guess i'll upgrade to a manual ZR1.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual vs Auto

Old 07-28-2018, 02:13 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by dvilin
Drove them both quick easy decision to go with manual. If you drive them both it will be an easy decision.

"Last week, the National Corvette Museum published a detailed breakdown of 2016-model-year Corvette production, and it revealed that only 9249 of the 40,689 built came with manual transmissions. That works out to be a little under 23 percent of production."

Even the super car Ferrari now come with automatic transmissions. This was unheard of a decades ago. "Gotta change with the times"

How many 20's - 30's even know how to drive a stick shift??????
Old 07-28-2018, 02:25 PM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Have 19 Z vert m7. This is my 3rd vert.. Two of the last three have been manual. Until I have no other option I wouldn't consider anything but a manual. From a pure driving enthusiast point of view the m7, in what I consider a world class sports car, is an absolute. Perhaps there will be a time in which the manual is no longer an option and we will be forced to make the change. I anticipate something much more sophisticated and reliable than the present A8, double clutch etc.......

Last edited by BDASSZO6; 07-28-2018 at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 02:53 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
"Last week, the National Corvette Museum published a detailed breakdown of 2016-model-year Corvette production, and it revealed that only 9249 of the 40,689 built came with manual transmissions. That works out to be a little under 23 percent of production."

Even the super car Ferrari now come with automatic transmissions. This was unheard of a decades ago. "Gotta change with the times"

How many 20's - 30's even know how to drive a stick shift??????
What in the world does the Ferrari transmission have to do with the GM 8 Speed slush box in the Corvette.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual vs Auto