C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:48 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!

After doing a lot of research on this site I decided to add the following popular "warranty safe" no tune mods on my car in this order:

Borla X-Pipe with secondary cat delete
BMS Air Filter
Mamo Portal Throttle Body

I did a stock baseline dyno and after I added each mod separately I drove the car a few hundred miles to let the stock calibration adjust. The BMS Filter did throw a code which I was able to clear and it didn't come back. My 17 Z06 M7 is running the latest stock calibration offered by GM as of May 2018. I had the car dyno'd again on the same dyno and it's pretty much putting down the same power but now running pig rich. My first though is that GM has changed the OEM calibration significantly to over correct instead of letting things lean out. Looks like it might be game over for no tune mods on later Z06s. Thoughts?

Stock Red, Mods Green

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:04 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

That's not good news. I love the TB for drivability and want to do the Xpipe for the added sound. I guess the filter will have to wait for the bigger blower and a tune. I wonder if most of the talk around here is just about the placebo affect 😏
Old 07-18-2018, 01:10 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Originally Posted by saleen556
That's not good news. I love the TB for drivability and want to do the Xpipe for the added sound. I guess the filter will have to wait for the bigger blower and a tune. I wonder if most of the talk around here is just about the placebo affect ��
I'm sure initially the filter and the throttle body do lean the already rich stock tune out and make some more power until the stock calibration compensates by dumping more fuel into the mix. The throttle body does create a more linear throttle response, but I wouldn't have bought it just for that. Clearly there is more power to be had, but it looks like a tune is required much like what I'm use to coming from the Mustang world. I was really surprised GM would allow the level of flexibility some claim on the stock calibration.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Many people have shown the ported throttle body isn't good for real gains. You need a 103mm TB AND a ported snout to see appreciable gains from a throttle body. Air filter on the other hand is proven to gain "something" and that's the only one that really surprises me. It doesn't look like boost was logged but you may have lost boost with it breathing better in/out. To really take advantage of what you've done, you really need a tune. Then again, that negates the "warranty friendly" piece you're going for....

I'd think you at least have better throttle response, right?
Old 07-18-2018, 01:14 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tort
Many people have shown the ported throttle body isn't good for real gains. You need a 103mm TB AND a ported snout to see appreciable gains from a throttle body. Air filter on the other hand is proven to gain "something" and that's the only one that really surprises me. It doesn't look like boost was logged but you may have lost boost with it breathing better in/out. To really take advantage of what you've done, you really need a tune. Then again, that negates the "warranty friendly" piece you're going for....

I'd think you at least have better throttle response, right?
It is better but while Tony did a nice port job I wouldn't have paid $400 for a little more linear throttle response. I'm debating returning it and returning everything back to stock but the x-pipe as I'm not sure if I want to tune it yet.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Tort
Racer

I don't blame you...I wouldn't either. I blew my warranty with under 3K miles on the car though. My thought is that if something brakes, I'll replace it with something better/stronger anyway.

Get her tuned and let the fun begin.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:23 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by likeaboss
I'm sure initially the filter and the throttle body do lean the already rich stock tune out and make some more power until the stock calibration compensates by dumping more fuel into the mix. The throttle body does create a more linear throttle response, but I wouldn't have bought it just for that. Clearly there is more power to be had, but it looks like a tune is required much like what I'm use to coming from the Mustang world. I was really surprised GM would allow the level of flexibility some claim on the stock calibration.
Maybe Diablo will come out with a flash tune for these mods someday. It would help for those of us trying to keep our warranty in tact.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:03 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

After doing a lot of research on this site I decided to add the following popular "warranty safe" no tune mods on my car in this order:

Borla X-Pipe with secondary cat delete
BMS Air Filter
Mamo Portal Throttle Body

I did a stock baseline dyno and after I added each mod separately I drove the car a few hundred miles to let the stock calibration adjust. The BMS Filter did throw a code which I was able to clear and it didn't come back. My 17 Z06 M7 is running the latest stock calibration offered by GM as of May 2018. I had the car dyno'd again on the same dyno and it's pretty much putting down the same power but now running pig rich. My first though is that GM has changed the OEM calibration significantly to over correct instead of letting things lean out. Looks like it might be game over for no tune mods on later Z06s. Thoughts?

Stock Red, Mods Green
Here is 2300 blower, MAMO PTB, headers and tune. Full 673 rwhp and runs like a rocket this dyno was with 92 octane pump gas 1 8 oz bottle of Lucas octane boost that would do next to nothing
Your not getting good results because of too many mods on the stock tune is dumping tons of fuel look at your AFR. Stock Tune is not right it is not the mods! Your cutting down the mods with no clue what your doing!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-18-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:15 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Here is 2300 blower, MAMO PTB, headers and tune. Full 673 rwhp and runs like a rocket this dyno was with 92 octane pump gas 1 8 oz bottle of Lucas octane boost that would do next to nothing
Your not getting good results because of too many mods on the stock tune is dumping tons of fuel look at your AFR. Stock Tune is not right it is not the mods! Your cutting down the mods with no clue what your doing!
Many are trying to just add a bit of power and retain the warranty. Nothing wrong with that. I'll be all in as soon as my warranty is over.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:24 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

Many are trying to just add a bit of power and retain the warranty. Nothing wrong with that. I'll be all in as soon as my warranty is over.

Nothing wrong with that but as they say 1 change at a time. Do 3-4 changes at once is too much shown by the dyno no gain.
Go back and do just the PTB you will see a gain. Personally have seen maybe 20 posts where the MAMO works as advertised to say it doesn't deliver is wrong. I have the Halltech and PTB on my A8 with the stock tune both mods made a gain.
But adding exhaust and cat removal as well seems was too much.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-18-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:29 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Nothing wrong with that but as they say 1 change at a time. Do 3-4 changes at once is too much shown by the dyno no gain.
Go back and do just the PTB you will see a gain. Personally have seen maybe 20 posts where the MAMO works as advertised to say it doesn't deliver is wrong. I have the Halltech and PTB on my A8 with the stock tune both mods made a gain.
But adding exhaust and cat removal as well seems was too much.
Keep in mind it's really just two changes to airflow into the engine with the BMS filter and Ported TB which is supposed to be an ok combo without a tune...I guess not. Keep in mind the X-Pipe is just the secondary unmonitored CAT not the main CAT.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:33 PM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Results from one vehicle isn't conclusive enough to judge anything.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Tort
Racer

Originally Posted by Clspht
Results from one vehicle isn't conclusive enough to judge anything.
Before and after dyno results from the same car and same dyno aren't without merit either.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:09 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

what do you mean the latest stock calibration?
Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Originally Posted by RegnaR
what do you mean the latest stock calibration?
2017s are know to throw a code so the car was flashed with the latest engine calibration as part of the TSB.
The following users liked this post:
RegnaR (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 05:17 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

did not know there was a TSB for the 2017s on that. I have not thrown a code but i have also not added anything yet... Will add the same mods as you over the next few months and will probably do a before and after dyno after a few hundred miles on the mods.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:20 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Originally Posted by RegnaR
did not know there was a TSB for the 2017s on that. I have not thrown a code but i have also not added anything yet... Will add the same mods as you over the next few months and will probably do a before and after dyno after a few hundred miles on the mods.
I would highly recommended doing a stock baseline dyno before adding any mods. Then a follow up with the mods on the same dyno. Otherwise you really don’t know what they are bringing to the table either positive or negative.

Get notified of new replies

To BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!

Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,143 Posts

It might be a '17 thing.

All i ever read about is the '17 guys having problems with CEL's and hiccups here and there. I think '17 and '18 might be affected, but i've seen more '17s being talked about.

The following mods for 15-16 have reported almost no problems for anyone doing the mods.

I just finished the last of the 3 mods like yours this past weekend and so far it's flawless. I have a '16 though so i may have got the car from the lucky batch lol
Old 07-18-2018, 07:22 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
It might be a '17 thing.

All i ever read about is the '17 guys having problems with CEL's and hiccups here and there. I think '17 and '18 might be affected, but i've seen more '17s being talked about.

The following mods for 15-16 have reported almost no problems for anyone doing the mods.

I just finished the last of the 3 mods like yours this past weekend and so far it's flawless. I have a '16 though so i may have got the car from the lucky batch lol
I’ve read from others on this site that the 15-16 might be more mod friendly without a tune. With that said, my car runs great outside of the one code I got after the BMS filter install. It’s just that the car is right back to the same levels when it was bone stock which defeats the purpose of the mods. The BMS filter and Mamo Ported TB might be flowing too much air on a 17+ plus without a tune. Something for 17 to 19 Z06 owners to think about before going all in.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,143 Posts

I’ve read from others on this site that the 15-16 might be more mod friendly without a tune. With that said, my car runs great outside of the one code I got after the BMS filter install. It’s just that the car is right back to the same levels when it was bone stock which defeats the purpose of the mods. The BMS filter and Mamo Ported TB might be flowing too much air on a 17+ plus without a tune. Something for 17 to 19 Z06 owners to think about before going all in.
That's what i read too.

I mean right now no CEL from the filter install but the moment it does and the code is related to the filter, then you'll see this filter for sale on this forum and i'm going back to stock.

But the PTB and xpipe were well worth the money. Definitely not changing those out,

Quick Reply: BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!