BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?! - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!

Closed Thread

 
 
 
Old 07-18-2018, 12:48 PM
  #1  
likeaboss
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
likeaboss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 63
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!

After doing a lot of research on this site I decided to add the following popular "warranty safe" no tune mods on my car in this order:

Borla X-Pipe with secondary cat delete
BMS Air Filter
Mamo Portal Throttle Body

I did a stock baseline dyno and after I added each mod separately I drove the car a few hundred miles to let the stock calibration adjust. The BMS Filter did throw a code which I was able to clear and it didn't come back. My 17 Z06 M7 is running the latest stock calibration offered by GM as of May 2018. I had the car dyno'd again on the same dyno and it's pretty much putting down the same power but now running pig rich. My first though is that GM has changed the OEM calibration significantly to over correct instead of letting things lean out. Looks like it might be game over for no tune mods on later Z06s. Thoughts?

Stock Red, Mods Green

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 12:54 PM.
likeaboss is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 01:04 PM
  #2  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 1,119
Thanked 272 Times in 175 Posts
Default

That's not good news. I love the TB for drivability and want to do the Xpipe for the added sound. I guess the filter will have to wait for the bigger blower and a tune. I wonder if most of the talk around here is just about the placebo affect 😏
saleen556 is online now  
Old 07-18-2018, 01:10 PM
  #3  
likeaboss
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
likeaboss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 63
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
That's not good news. I love the TB for drivability and want to do the Xpipe for the added sound. I guess the filter will have to wait for the bigger blower and a tune. I wonder if most of the talk around here is just about the placebo affect ��
I'm sure initially the filter and the throttle body do lean the already rich stock tune out and make some more power until the stock calibration compensates by dumping more fuel into the mix. The throttle body does create a more linear throttle response, but I wouldn't have bought it just for that. Clearly there is more power to be had, but it looks like a tune is required much like what I'm use to coming from the Mustang world. I was really surprised GM would allow the level of flexibility some claim on the stock calibration.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.
likeaboss is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 01:10 PM
  #4  
Tort
CF Senior Member
 
Tort's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: CO
Posts: 356
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Many people have shown the ported throttle body isn't good for real gains. You need a 103mm TB AND a ported snout to see appreciable gains from a throttle body. Air filter on the other hand is proven to gain "something" and that's the only one that really surprises me. It doesn't look like boost was logged but you may have lost boost with it breathing better in/out. To really take advantage of what you've done, you really need a tune. Then again, that negates the "warranty friendly" piece you're going for....

I'd think you at least have better throttle response, right?
Tort is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 01:14 PM
  #5  
likeaboss
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
likeaboss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 63
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tort View Post
Many people have shown the ported throttle body isn't good for real gains. You need a 103mm TB AND a ported snout to see appreciable gains from a throttle body. Air filter on the other hand is proven to gain "something" and that's the only one that really surprises me. It doesn't look like boost was logged but you may have lost boost with it breathing better in/out. To really take advantage of what you've done, you really need a tune. Then again, that negates the "warranty friendly" piece you're going for....

I'd think you at least have better throttle response, right?
It is better but while Tony did a nice port job I wouldn't have paid $400 for a little more linear throttle response. I'm debating returning it and returning everything back to stock but the x-pipe as I'm not sure if I want to tune it yet.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 01:17 PM.
likeaboss is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 01:17 PM
  #6  
Tort
CF Senior Member
 
Tort's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: CO
Posts: 356
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Default

I don't blame you...I wouldn't either. I blew my warranty with under 3K miles on the car though. My thought is that if something brakes, I'll replace it with something better/stronger anyway.

Get her tuned and let the fun begin.
Tort is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 01:23 PM
  #7  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 1,119
Thanked 272 Times in 175 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
I'm sure initially the filter and the throttle body do lean the already rich stock tune out and make some more power until the stock calibration compensates by dumping more fuel into the mix. The throttle body does create a more linear throttle response, but I wouldn't have bought it just for that. Clearly there is more power to be had, but it looks like a tune is required much like what I'm use to coming from the Mustang world. I was really surprised GM would allow the level of flexibility some claim on the stock calibration.
Maybe Diablo will come out with a flash tune for these mods someday. It would help for those of us trying to keep our warranty in tact.
saleen556 is online now  
Old 07-18-2018, 03:03 PM
  #8  
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
3 Z06ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: salem OR
Posts: 19,317
Thanked 699 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
After doing a lot of research on this site I decided to add the following popular "warranty safe" no tune mods on my car in this order:

Borla X-Pipe with secondary cat delete
BMS Air Filter
Mamo Portal Throttle Body

I did a stock baseline dyno and after I added each mod separately I drove the car a few hundred miles to let the stock calibration adjust. The BMS Filter did throw a code which I was able to clear and it didn't come back. My 17 Z06 M7 is running the latest stock calibration offered by GM as of May 2018. I had the car dyno'd again on the same dyno and it's pretty much putting down the same power but now running pig rich. My first though is that GM has changed the OEM calibration significantly to over correct instead of letting things lean out. Looks like it might be game over for no tune mods on later Z06s. Thoughts?

Stock Red, Mods Green
Here is 2300 blower, MAMO PTB, headers and tune. Full 673 rwhp and runs like a rocket this dyno was with 92 octane pump gas 1 8 oz bottle of Lucas octane boost that would do next to nothing
Your not getting good results because of too many mods on the stock tune is dumping tons of fuel look at your AFR. Stock Tune is not right it is not the mods! Your cutting down the mods with no clue what your doing!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-18-2018 at 03:05 PM.
3 Z06ZR1 is online now  
Old 07-18-2018, 03:15 PM
  #9  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 1,119
Thanked 272 Times in 175 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post
Here is 2300 blower, MAMO PTB, headers and tune. Full 673 rwhp and runs like a rocket this dyno was with 92 octane pump gas 1 8 oz bottle of Lucas octane boost that would do next to nothing
Your not getting good results because of too many mods on the stock tune is dumping tons of fuel look at your AFR. Stock Tune is not right it is not the mods! Your cutting down the mods with no clue what your doing!
Many are trying to just add a bit of power and retain the warranty. Nothing wrong with that. I'll be all in as soon as my warranty is over.
saleen556 is online now  
Old 07-18-2018, 03:24 PM
  #10  
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
3 Z06ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: salem OR
Posts: 19,317
Thanked 699 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post


Many are trying to just add a bit of power and retain the warranty. Nothing wrong with that. I'll be all in as soon as my warranty is over.

Nothing wrong with that but as they say 1 change at a time. Do 3-4 changes at once is too much shown by the dyno no gain.
Go back and do just the PTB you will see a gain. Personally have seen maybe 20 posts where the MAMO works as advertised to say it doesn't deliver is wrong. I have the Halltech and PTB on my A8 with the stock tune both mods made a gain.
But adding exhaust and cat removal as well seems was too much.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-18-2018 at 03:26 PM.
3 Z06ZR1 is online now  
Old 07-18-2018, 03:29 PM
  #11  
likeaboss
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
likeaboss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 63
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post
Nothing wrong with that but as they say 1 change at a time. Do 3-4 changes at once is too much shown by the dyno no gain.
Go back and do just the PTB you will see a gain. Personally have seen maybe 20 posts where the MAMO works as advertised to say it doesn't deliver is wrong. I have the Halltech and PTB on my A8 with the stock tune both mods made a gain.
But adding exhaust and cat removal as well seems was too much.
Keep in mind it's really just two changes to airflow into the engine with the BMS filter and Ported TB which is supposed to be an ok combo without a tune...I guess not. Keep in mind the X-Pipe is just the secondary unmonitored CAT not the main CAT.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.
likeaboss is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 04:33 PM
  #12  
Clspht
CF Senior Member
 
Clspht's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 111 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Results from one vehicle isn't conclusive enough to judge anything.
Clspht is online now  
Old 07-18-2018, 04:34 PM
  #13  
Tort
CF Senior Member
 
Tort's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: CO
Posts: 356
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Clspht View Post
Results from one vehicle isn't conclusive enough to judge anything.
Before and after dyno results from the same car and same dyno aren't without merit either.
Tort is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:09 PM
  #14  
RegnaR
CF Senior Member
 
RegnaR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 313
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

what do you mean the latest stock calibration?
RegnaR is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 PM
  #15  
likeaboss
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
likeaboss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 63
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RegnaR View Post
what do you mean the latest stock calibration?
2017s are know to throw a code so the car was flashed with the latest engine calibration as part of the TSB.
likeaboss is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to likeaboss For This Useful Post:
RegnaR (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 05:17 PM
  #16  
RegnaR
CF Senior Member
 
RegnaR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 313
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

did not know there was a TSB for the 2017s on that. I have not thrown a code but i have also not added anything yet... Will add the same mods as you over the next few months and will probably do a before and after dyno after a few hundred miles on the mods.
RegnaR is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:20 PM
  #17  
likeaboss
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
likeaboss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 63
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RegnaR View Post
did not know there was a TSB for the 2017s on that. I have not thrown a code but i have also not added anything yet... Will add the same mods as you over the next few months and will probably do a before and after dyno after a few hundred miles on the mods.
I would highly recommended doing a stock baseline dyno before adding any mods. Then a follow up with the mods on the same dyno. Otherwise you really donít know what they are bringing to the table either positive or negative.
likeaboss is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 PM
  #18  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Location: Secaucus NJ
Posts: 2,342
Thanked 162 Times in 136 Posts
Default

It might be a '17 thing.

All i ever read about is the '17 guys having problems with CEL's and hiccups here and there. I think '17 and '18 might be affected, but i've seen more '17s being talked about.

The following mods for 15-16 have reported almost no problems for anyone doing the mods.

I just finished the last of the 3 mods like yours this past weekend and so far it's flawless. I have a '16 though so i may have got the car from the lucky batch lol
RobGZ06 is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 07:22 PM
  #19  
likeaboss
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
likeaboss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 63
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
It might be a '17 thing.

All i ever read about is the '17 guys having problems with CEL's and hiccups here and there. I think '17 and '18 might be affected, but i've seen more '17s being talked about.

The following mods for 15-16 have reported almost no problems for anyone doing the mods.

I just finished the last of the 3 mods like yours this past weekend and so far it's flawless. I have a '16 though so i may have got the car from the lucky batch lol
Iíve read from others on this site that the 15-16 might be more mod friendly without a tune. With that said, my car runs great outside of the one code I got after the BMS filter install. Itís just that the car is right back to the same levels when it was bone stock which defeats the purpose of the mods. The BMS filter and Mamo Ported TB might be flowing too much air on a 17+ plus without a tune. Something for 17 to 19 Z06 owners to think about before going all in.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-18-2018 at 07:24 PM.
likeaboss is offline  
Old 07-18-2018, 07:51 PM
  #20  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Location: Secaucus NJ
Posts: 2,342
Thanked 162 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post


Iíve read from others on this site that the 15-16 might be more mod friendly without a tune. With that said, my car runs great outside of the one code I got after the BMS filter install. Itís just that the car is right back to the same levels when it was bone stock which defeats the purpose of the mods. The BMS filter and Mamo Ported TB might be flowing too much air on a 17+ plus without a tune. Something for 17 to 19 Z06 owners to think about before going all in.
That's what i read too.

I mean right now no CEL from the filter install but the moment it does and the code is related to the filter, then you'll see this filter for sale on this forum and i'm going back to stock.

But the PTB and xpipe were well worth the money. Definitely not changing those out,
RobGZ06 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMS Filter, Mamo Ported TB, Borla X-Pipe - NO GAIN?!


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: