C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

MPSS tire pressure and life HPDE

Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 AM
edster75
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts
Default MPSS tire pressure and life HPDE

Hello, I've been playing at the Autobahn Country Club with Laps, Inc. and I have a couple questions. What tire pressure do you guys run your MPSS tires at? I had 28psi cold in the tires. After a 30min session the tires were at 35psi and I aired them down to 30psi hot. Also how long do these tires last doing mainly HPDE's? I'd like to get a set of the cup wheels with cup2 tires for the track and save the MPSS for occasional street use. So far I've been to two laps events and the tires seem to be holding up well. No strange wear patterns indicating a bad alignment.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 AM
shizon'00
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I mostly run MPSS when it's wet, but have run the in the dry too when I'm too lazy to change tires after the track dries out. I shoot for about 34-35. Any higher and they feel greasy. Any lower and I don't get the grip. 30 psi is too low IMO.

Can't really comment on life since I don't use them much in the dry but they do wear very well. Just based on my infrequent use, I would expect 10 track days or so on them if you're really pushing them. I get about 6 days out of a set of cup 2s.

I hope that helps
The following users liked this post:
edster75 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

You should be looking for 32-33 psi hot. Try starting at 26 psi cold.
edster75 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:35 PM
NWbluez06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used multiple sets of cup2's, MPSS, AND Hooser's... for track use cup's or Hoosers! MPSS FOR Rain or street... Or light track use. In MY experience the MPSS's get hot and wear very quickly at speed. I've destroyed a set in a track day! Mid 70 ambient temp.
I start at 25psi target 32 hot.... sometimes I go 1 psi higher in back before going back out

Last edited by NWbluez06; 07-20-2018 at 05:24 PM.
edster75 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 11:44 PM
Stp94
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey! I’ve run the two Laps sessions at Autobahn this season as well. ‘17 WGG Z06 M7. Anyway, I got about 2k road miles and 3 sessions out of my MPSS. They were corded on the inside after this last session. I suspect alignment lead to me eating through them in that length of time so I hope to have better luck with my Cup 2’s after a proper alignment.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:57 AM
edster75
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Stp94
Hey! I’ve run the two Laps sessions at Autobahn this season as well. ‘17 WGG Z06 M7. Anyway, I got about 2k road miles and 3 sessions out of my MPSS. They were corded on the inside after this last session. I suspect alignment lead to me eating through them in that length of time so I hope to have better luck with my Cup 2’s after a proper alignment.
Nice! What run group were you in?

Who will you use for the alignment? I'm assuming you're in the Chicago area.

The Laps event on June 25th was my first actual track day. I had a golden ticket and drove on the track last year, but it was a cool fall day and the track was a little wet from rain the night before. I didn't have any problems except for a little brake fade. June 25th was a hot day and along with brake fade I had an overheating power steering rack. It was a spur of the moment decision and I didn't do any track prep.

I had time to prep for the July 16th event. I put GM's track brake cooling kit and blockers on. I also followed the GM service bulletin and cobbled up a power steering cooling duct. Changed to 15w50 oil, and changed the rear end fluid. The car ran great this time, except for a couple instances of brake fade. I have Castrol SRF but didn't get a chance to flush the brakes yet.

Are you going to the Advanced driver days on Aug 1st?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Stp94
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

In June I was in the beginners group. Yellow I think? Got promoted late first day and have been purple since.

I live in central IL and contacted my purchase dealer re: alignment in Morton. They ordered the tool for rear caster alignment and my appointment is this week.

I didnt track prep before my “Golden ticket” day last year but did some prepping prior to the June event. I did the diff, dot 4 FB swap and tranny flush. I didn’t do the brake cooling work or swap to the heavier oil. Still learning!

We just did the 4 Laps events this year at Autobahn(my bro-in-law has a new ZL1). June, July, Sept and October. MAY try to add a day at Road America in late, if I can swing it.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I love the mpss in fact just came back to them after going to conti. I start at 28 and works well. I got 8000 miles out of my first set with 6 or so track days. Like brakes if you run a balanced lap tires and brakes will last longer. Slam on the brakes in the turns and wear goes up big time tires and brakes

i bought a set of cup tires but sold them after rethinking Ohio weather. There are some days at the track it is in the 60s or maybe even 50s. Or in could be raining. Cups don’t work in those conditions mpss do.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:08 PM
Mick14
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Cup 2's are junk imho. I ran them this year for 3 track days and they delaminated. For me, they were only marginally better (faster by .5-1 second on 2.1-2.3 mile tracks) than the mpss which lasted 5 track days. I am debating on what to do to replace them with as I run scrubs on 18's, but would like something for a damp track on the stock wheels. 32-35 hot on the mpss seemed to work well for me which was about 26-28 cold depending on conditions.

Get notified of new replies

To MPSS tire pressure and life HPDE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MPSS tire pressure and life HPDE