C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

WTF is with this tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:33 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 639 Likes on 376 Posts
Default WTF is with this tire?

During the saga of bent wheels on another thread, I've come up with yet another strange thing I've never seen before. One of the front wheels that was bent had this thing on part of the tread. The car hasn't hit anything, been in any kind of a skid or any other event. Car has just under 10k on these tires.

Two questions:

What the devil is this?
Is the tire dangerous to use?

Last edited by tertiumquid; 07-20-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 PM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

It looks like you ran over a marble. This happens frequently to anyone that has been on track. It will eventually wear off.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:59 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Wow. That is crazy to have what looks like a flat spot. Just yesterday I replaced my fronts (10K miles) that were nice and even across the tire but wouldn't have survived an upcoming 3K road trip without getting too far down into the wear bars. I noticed on one of my tires I had a "groove" parallel to the main "channels" just like I see in the area of the flat spot. Personally I wouldn't drive on that unless you are just tootling around town.
The following users liked this post:
tertiumquid (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:24 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Sammy, are you saying I might have lost my marbles?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
Wow. That is crazy to have what looks like a flat spot. Just yesterday I replaced my fronts (10K miles) that were nice and even across the tire but wouldn't have survived an upcoming 3K road trip without getting too far down into the wear bars. I noticed on one of my tires I had a "groove" parallel to the main "channels" just like I see in the area of the flat spot. Personally I wouldn't drive on that unless you are just tootling around town.
I'll have to see it in person...I'm out of town right now. Seems to me I've heard on another thread about his being an example of heat spalling or delamination. Does that ring a bell with anybody?
Old 07-21-2018, 03:32 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazysammy
It looks like you ran over a marble. This happens frequently to anyone that has been on track. It will eventually wear off.
, is no problem, will wear off or you could choose to scrape it off.
tertiumquid (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Curious minds want to know. Try scraping it off.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:10 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

But it also appears you are at (or damn close) the wear bars. JMO, time for new tires, at least that set of frts or rears at least.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:30 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I know how marbles look and it could be, but that looks melted. See if you can scrape any rubber off. If not I would say melted. How, I don't know. I have seen it with tire warmers that malfunctioned, but you aren't using tire warmers.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:58 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
Curious minds want to know. Try scraping it off.
I'll be back in Atlanta on Tuesday and I'll pick the car up and see what this really is and post the postmortem...

Old 07-22-2018, 07:43 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Nevermind about that patch, but why does the overall tire look like that? Like you were driving on salted roads.

Time for new tires man.

So glad i got rid of my run flats for something better.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:14 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Nevermind about that patch, but why does the overall tire look like that? Like you were driving on salted roads.

Time for new tires man.

So glad i got rid of my run flats for something better.
That's probably grunge from the shop floor but i agree about the tires in general. I don't like the Michelin RF's. What did you put on yours?

Old 07-22-2018, 08:50 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
That's probably grunge from the shop floor but i agree about the tires in general. I don't like the Michelin RF's. What did you put on yours?
Continental extremecontact SPORT.

Same exact sizes. They ride better, quieter, last longer, and they're cheaper.

No more tire skipping on full turn in lock, no more following imperfections in the road and you're fighting the steering wheel, no more watching the thread at 8-10k, no more harshness. No more noise.

Definitely look into it. I made the switch twice from the RF's and been happy both times.
tertiumquid (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:25 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Continental extremecontact SPORT.

Same exact sizes. They ride better, quieter, last longer, and they're cheaper.

No more tire skipping on full turn in lock, no more following imperfections in the road and you're fighting the steering wheel, no more watching the thread at 8-10k, no more harshness. No more noise.

Definitely look into it. I made the switch twice from the RF's and been happy both times.
I was thinking along that very line. Tired of the noise and all the stuff you mentioned. Been awhile since I've driven without some sort of a spare but I think the small compressor and can of tire goop will take care of that worry. Do you carry those?
Z0HS1CK (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 PM
ajderzie
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a flat spot, no question. You may not have realized that the tire locked under braking. Even if the antilock brakes came on it was obviously in dry conditions.

Why is the rim bent?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:55 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I was thinking along that very line. Tired of the noise and all the stuff you mentioned. Been awhile since I've driven without some sort of a spare but I think the small compressor and can of tire goop will take care of that worry. Do you carry those?
That is what they put in the Camaro trunk instead of a spare.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:32 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

The last time i had a flat while driving was in 2011. In my nissan altima. One block from a gas station in which they fixed for 10 bucks.

I know most people won't be that lucky but you can't just think every time you're out driving you're going to get a flat.

Even if you got a flat every 2 years, that's a gamble i'm willing to take if i have to give up all the downsides the RF's give you, as i mentioned above.

And yes i carry tire plug kit, with a fix-a-flat, and a small air compressor. Been carrying that ever since i got my license. Never had to use it.

Get notified of new replies

To WTF is with this tire?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Been awhile since I've driven without some sort of a spare but I think the small compressor and can of tire goop will take care of that worry. Do you carry those?
I'd want to check on whether the tire goop is compatible with our tire sensors, but maybe the sensors aren't all that expensive to replace. Haven't checked.
I drove my C5 for 15 years with non-run-flats, with no major problems. Not that there weren't punctures, but they all happened to leak very slowly, allowing plenty of time to get it in to a tire shop. I also carried a plug kit and a small 12-volt compressor. Had one of the leaks been faster, I think it still would have allowed me to top the tire up with air periodically, and make it to a tire shop. Never needed to use the plug kit, but one never knows.

In the C7, I still carry a compressor, even with the run-flats. It might make the difference between arriving at a tire shop with the tire still repairable, versus needing to source and pay for a new one. I very much doubt that a tire shop would just happen to have one of our tires in stock.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 07-23-2018 at 08:25 AM.
tertiumquid (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 08:13 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajderzie
That's a flat spot, no question. You may not have realized that the tire locked under braking. Even if the antilock brakes came on it was obviously in dry conditions.

Why is the rim bent?
Well, you might be right on the tire. I just got the car back tonight but will not check the tire out until the weekend. Three of the wheels were bent, none severely but enough to be a pain in the ***. I think it was just a culmination of 10k miles of driving over occasional bumps and ridges, etc., on the Interstates. The car rides and feels much better with the wheels redone but I don't have a lot of long term confidence in them. Going to get new tires and wheels in a couple of months once I decide on what wheels to get.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:16 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I'd want to check on whether the tire goop is compatible with our tire sensors, but maybe the sensors aren't all that expensive to replace. Haven't checked.
I drove my C5 for 15 years with non-run-flats, with no major problems. Not that there weren't punctures, but they all happened to leak very slowly, allowing plenty of time to get it in to a tire shop. I also carried a plug kit and a small 12-volt compressor. Had one of the leaks been faster, I think it still would have allowed me to top the tire up with air periodically, and make it to a tire shop. Never needed to use the plug kit, but one never knows.

In the C7, I still carry a compressor, even with the run-flats. It might make the difference between arriving at a tire shop with the tire still repairable, versus needing to source and pay for a new one. I very much doubt that a tire shop would just happen to have one of our tires in stock.
Good advice. I already have the compressor. The goop might take out a sensor but that wouldn't be a great problem vs. destroying a tire.

Quick Reply: WTF is with this tire?