C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Leave C7Z idling - lock car and take fob with you

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:35 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The upshot of that rule is that you can drive a gas tanks worth of distance before you realize you have forgotten your key fob. Some on here that have done that keep an extra fob in a faraday bag inside the car.

BTW, as above; "rather, a signal is continuously sent from the reader and the reader picks up the signature of the encoded fob." Doesn't that mean that the perp could have a "reader" and pick up the signature of the fob and then reuse after he has it? Lots of internet chatter lately about keeping fobs inside the house in a coffee can to foil any perp reading them from outside. Don't know whether it is click bait or a real worry. I am thinking click bait so far.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:16 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

While I’d be mildly pissed off if my car were stolen (having something stolen makes you feel violated) ... I’ll be damn if I’ll go and start stashing my fobs in a foil or any other counter measures. I’m just not that concerned/worried about the car. It’s just an amalgamation of plastic/fiberglass/metal. They make hundreds of Covettes every week - not hard to replace at all.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

I doubt I would leave it running while running into the store. I'm sure it's safer to remote start it because the car is really not even technically started. I think if they go in there without the fob it's not going to be able to start, and drive off. Leaving the AC on when you run in the convenience store is nice but be careful

Last edited by Ruderegime; 07-22-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Leave C7Z idling - lock car and take fob with you