C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best Catch can....Mighty Mouse or RX Engineering in South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 06:16 PM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Best Catch can....Mighty Mouse or RX Engineering in South Florida

Was reviewing forum regarding Catch cans....Mighty Mouse seems very popular, wondering if Tracy Lewis Performance Engineering in Palmetto Florida, who makes the RX Catch can.......Which manufacturer makes the best one?

See differences in prices.....one is $319.00 and the other about $450.00 installed.

I know there are Pros and Cons to Catch cans...not interested in that...just would like to hear from members who have either one of these two, and likes, and dislikes.....and why?

Thanks,

NW
Old 07-22-2018, 06:59 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to know this myself. In a previous post I think I remember reading that there were driving situations that the mighty mouse wasn't actually venting to the can. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought someone from elite engineering pointed this out (a competitor, I know). But the fact may remain that there may be a better product.

i have tried to contact elite engineering on several occassions via email and phone to ask about their product and purchase and nothing. Needless to say I will not be purchasing their product as it doesn't seem like they want to sell one very bad. Terrible business practice in my opinion so I won't be giving them my business.

If anyone on here has any good information about these cans I would greatly appreciate it as well.

Last edited by MechEngr; 07-22-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Opinions of both will be similar to what you get from asking “which blower kit ECS vs A & A?”
People will post stating what they’ve purchased as the measuring stick.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:33 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
Opinions of both will be similar to what you get from asking “which blower kit ECS vs A & A?”

Yeah, that is what I am afraid of. I hate when people think whatever they purchased is simply the best because they purchased it. I don't mind opinions at all but would really like to hear something scientific or good reasoning as to why one product is superior to another.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:55 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

I was going to call mighty mouse on monday and ask this same question. I believe their systems have differences. I would like to get his take, as I have already asked the other guys opinion a couple weeks back. This is a good thread. I might still call him, but if he answers here first, cool.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:29 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
I've ran both. Elite is pretty, and if you want to pop the hood and show your buddies your sweet can go for it. MM plain works better. Filters better, more features, more safety, and Dave@MM is top notch service. There is no comparison really.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

That was my gut. I dont think the RX is he same as elite tho is it? Either way, who installs the MM when we live in florida?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:50 PM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

Lots of forum members have the Mighty Mouse can, and watched his video installing one on a White C7 Z06. Well done video clean shop no protective pads on fenders of brand new Z06 while doing complete Catch Can install.

RX video has a dirty disorganized shop but Tracy is doing the install and explaining every step in the process. Has an engineering degree and many years experience in automotive and performance industry.

Both cans exhibit quality cans, fittings, and hoses. Prices between the two is significant.

I would expect members would be able to easily and quickly contact makers David or Tracy for questions about their products, get answers or replacement parts in a timely manner if needed, and provide top of the line products to ensure cleaner internal engines when compared to lesser quality or more cheaply made cans.

Every member wants the very best products he can afford for his Corvette and other personal vehicles.

Am seriously considering a catch can, and I want the very best most effective unit available. So wanted to ask members for their comments and recommendations pro and con on which units ...and why.....

The videos both parties have made may be outdated, so wanted to see if anything has changed in the last year or two. The Clean line Separator seems to be a new addition to the Catch Can technology, that may not have been in place a couple years ago.

Thanks

NW

Last edited by NinjaZX14r; 07-22-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:51 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Good deal. Yeah I really like the look of the Elite Engineering product and it seemed like a sound product but when I reached out to them with multiple emails and like five phone calls, I received nothing in return, so I said heck with them. I am looking at either RX (Tracy Lewis) or Mighty Mouse now I guess. I would like to know more about the functionality of these products. I need to read more on how the factory crankcase ventilation systems work on FI cars to better evaluate the different product options. At the end of the day I think we all want the system that filters out the most oil and spent combustion products to keep them from coking the intake valves.

On a different note, has anyone ever pulled the blower to check the valves at a certain mileage? I bought my car with about 17k on it and when I pulled the blower cover, it seemed pretty clean in there with minimal oil residue. I know this may not translate to what is on the intake valve, but it should give some indication of how much blow by it is having. Just wondered if anyone else pulled their blowers and tried to clean the valves and what they found?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:52 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Unreal
I've ran both. Elite is pretty, and if you want to pop the hood and show your buddies your sweet can go for it. MM plain works better. Filters better, more features, more safety, and Dave@MM is top notch service. There is no comparison really.
Interesting, thanks for the info.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:55 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

If you guys check out the tech section, I am trying to figure out how to install my Tracy Lewis catch can now; its the same one as the Elite E2-X and RX catch can with 3 ports. They also come with a clean side seperator.

I must say I'm really frustrated by the entire thing. Instructions are limited, and videos of course cover (now) outdated pcv layouts. I'm trying to get in touch with Tracy now, we will see if he returns my messages. Pre sales, email was on the tough side for them to get back with me.

I went with this one because I didnt want to vent to atmosphere, although I hear MM isnt designed for that eaither and the vent is just a safety precaution. I dont know how they handle clean side, or that a 2017+ grand sport even needs clean side seperation over what the new layout provides.

Hopefully I get some help so I can give you guys updated pictures.

The reason I got one of these was while i was swapping intake manifolds, i noticed how much oil was on the throttle body and manifold, it was nasty. And only with 1500 ish miles at the time. I will say though that i didnt notice anything on the valves, but i figured that was because the car is so new. I didnt want to risk it, and Id rather just air and fuel being burnt.

Both vendors need to update their videos and instructions.

Last edited by spinkick; 07-22-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:56 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
That was my gut. I dont think the RX is he same as elite tho is it? Either way, who installs the MM when we live in florida?
I dont think Mike, but others may correct me.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:14 PM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

The RX Can is produced by Tracy Lewis in Palmetto, Florida.....the Mighty Mouse Can is produced by David Childress. Elite fails to include physical address for their business on the Internet, however Tracy Lewis in Palmetto, Florida is clear where he is located and returns phone calls in less than 24 hours unless it is a weekend. His kit is pictured here and has the Clean Oil Separator part included.

To answer your question Tracy Lewis in Palmetto. Florida, will install his catch can in your Z06 at no additional charge with an appointment. Or you have the option to order and do the install yourself or have it done by qualified mechanic.

Enclosed is pic of some of the oil, water, debris collected in Mighty Mouse Catch can from C7 Z06. I sure would not want this kind of material sticking or flying around on the inside of my intake manifold.

Thanks,

NW

Last edited by NinjaZX14r; 07-23-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

I have had the Elite or Colorado Speed can for 3 years and 26k miles on our Z06 with heavy track use. Under the SC cover it has always been very clean. Recently we installed the bypass under the SC and routed that direct into the can. After a few recent track days all is working well as before we had some excess oil consumption issues with a lot of WOT runs. My shop is a New York state inspection station and a open breather system would fail the inspection that is one of the reasons I went with the can we did. To each his own as I say!
Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by MechEngr
I would like to know this myself. In a previous post I think I remember reading that there were driving situations that the mighty mouse wasn't actually venting to the can. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought someone from elite engineering pointed this out (a competitor, I know). But the fact may remain that there may be a better product.

i have tried to contact elite engineering on several occassions via email and phone to ask about their product and purchase and nothing. Needless to say I will not be purchasing their product as it doesn't seem like they want to sell one very bad. Terrible business practice in my opinion so I won't be giving them my business.

If anyone on here has any good information about these cans I would greatly appreciate it as well.
The Mighty Mouse set-up is the only one that prevents oil and oil debris from your PCV valve under your blower. From entering your blower and causing your intercoolers to plug.
This is my 1.7 blower off my 2015 Z06 flipped over you can see the intercoolers were starting to plug up. The Mighty mouse unit is the only that keeps the intercoolers clean.
Hands down the Mighty Mouse!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-23-2018 at 11:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:52 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

hello room!

happy to answer any questions here as well as email mightymousesolutions@gmail.com relative to my cans and systems functions.
-if there was a specific question or concern above please feel free to contact me or reiterate here. I agree a competitor is not commonly the best source of correct information. Definitely misinformation on my product passed by those in fear of its success and sometimes just bad assumptions from the peanut gallery.

sales have been overwhelming for me this year, especially since release of the Gen5 model, so I have opted to discontinue phone line and concentrate on keeping up with email, facebook, instagram and the message boards. vs. fall behind on all.

a couple photos of the new main assembly here https://www.mightymousesolutions.com/
-i do not have just one version available, but two complete systems covering the most common demands, as well as several options for each.

based on what i know as the current availability there are few options for this car, and the bummer for the customer is that they are not all for the same application or power levels, and therefore difficult comparing an apple to an orange.

things you would want to keep in mind:
-are you at, near, above the power level this factory ventilation system was designed around
-are you street driving, drag racing, autocrossing, road course racing, or some mix
-are you using otherwise original equipment, or have you changed/changing valve covers, valley plate, oiling system etc.
-do you have a specific issue you would like targeted primarily (usually this is power control or oil consumption internal/external)
-are you looking for a canister by itself, or a complete system
-are you looking to maintain or disrupt / change / delete oem ventilation strategy and why
The following 2 users liked this post by David@MMS:
3 Z06ZR1 (07-23-2018), firemark2643 (03-30-2023)
Old 07-23-2018, 02:52 PM
FrankT1958
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a Rx catch can on a 2010 Camaro that runs a single turbocharger system. I now have the Mighty Mouse. Both work, but the Mighty Mouse just hands down works better. I believe it has more filtering capacity than the Rx, or it does for me.
David@MMS (07-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Best Catch can....Mighty Mouse or RX Engineering in South Florida

Old 07-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by David@MMS
hello room!

happy to answer any questions here as well as email mightymousesolutions@gmail.com relative to my cans and systems functions.
-if there was a specific question or concern above please feel free to contact me or reiterate here. I agree a competitor is not commonly the best source of correct information. Definitely misinformation on my product passed by those in fear of its success and sometimes just bad assumptions from the peanut gallery.

sales have been overwhelming for me this year, especially since release of the Gen5 model, so I have opted to discontinue phone line and concentrate on keeping up with email, facebook, instagram and the message boards. vs. fall behind on all.

a couple photos of the new main assembly here https://www.mightymousesolutions.com/
-i do not have just one version available, but two complete systems covering the most common demands, as well as several options for each.

based on what i know as the current availability there are few options for this car, and the bummer for the customer is that they are not all for the same application or power levels, and therefore difficult comparing an apple to an orange.

things you would want to keep in mind:
-are you at, near, above the power level this factory ventilation system was designed around
-are you street driving, drag racing, autocrossing, road course racing, or some mix
-are you using otherwise original equipment, or have you changed/changing valve covers, valley plate, oiling system etc.
-do you have a specific issue you would like targeted primarily (usually this is power control or oil consumption internal/external)
-are you looking for a canister by itself, or a complete system
-are you looking to maintain or disrupt / change / delete oem ventilation strategy and why
Do you have a location that these are installed for free? If so, how far north do I have to come to make that happen if I am in florida?
Old 07-23-2018, 03:48 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Do you have a location that these are installed for free? If so, how far north do I have to come to make that happen if I am in florida?
David,

Do 2017 plus grand sports with their new pcv routing need a clean side filter? Do you do that with any of yours? I'm assuming the directions are different for your can than the competitors.

Lots of people get nervous that your can vents to atmosphere instead of an enclosed system. From what I think I've heard, you only vent in case of over pressure. Do your cans ever let pressure build in the crank case? The elite cans like to brag that the 3 valve cans never allow pressure to build.

Can't think of anything else right now.

I will say I have not heard back from elite nor Tracy yet on my emails, but I've only emailed them on Sunday night. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:46 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

The filter is behind a 1 way safety valve that only vents in the case that pressure is built, so no pressure can't be built. The "other" systems make claims all day, but it is only possible to avoid pressure if you can vent enough volume, and a lot of the time the lines and setup are not enough. On my 1000hp car the "other" system landed up with a blown rear main seal, because a few 3/8" lines are not enough to vent properly. The filter is simple a safety device that only vents in the case of an over pressure situation, it is not just an open system like some people want to push as fake news.
David@MMS (07-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Best Catch can....Mighty Mouse or RX Engineering in South Florida