C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dealer took my car on a joyride

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:34 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Black
Case #2 is what happened guys. Just spoke with the service manager and he assured me he was the one that had to drive it those amount of miles on several trips to try and get the monitors cleared so it would pass the NYS inspection. He was adamant that he was not hammering the car and only drove it because of the issues brought on while updating the software. He was very apologetic about the lack of communication as he thought the service adviser was keeping me posted. Im taking him for his word that what he said is actually what happened. I love the car how it rides now. I only asked for an oil change since they left my car on empty and he agreed to that. Thanks for all the advice, especially ATLJAR.
???

This doesn't wash at all. What exactly was on the repair order? When I worked at dealerships, or at independent shops, we would never drive a car for the monitors and tests to complete unless a customer specifically asked us to do that. We did disclose that if any "emissions inspection" was needed, and we had to disconnect the battery for any repair, or manually clear codes or reset the PCM in a way that the monitors and tests would register "incomplete," that the car would need to be driven for a day or two before it would pass inspection.

Did you take it in for more than the mag ride software update? What exactly did you request in writing and authorize with your signature on the repair order? Did you say you were going for the state inspection directly after you picked it up?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:19 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
???

This doesn't wash at all. What exactly was on the repair order? When I worked at dealerships, or at independent shops, we would never drive a car for the monitors and tests to complete unless a customer specifically asked us to do that. We did disclose that if any "emissions inspection" was needed, and we had to disconnect the battery for any repair, or manually clear codes or reset the PCM in a way that the monitors and tests would register "incomplete," that the car would need to be driven for a day or two before it would pass inspection.

Did you take it in for more than the mag ride software update? What exactly did you request in writing and authorize with your signature on the repair order? Did you say you were going for the state inspection directly after you picked it up?
I had it in for the NYS inspection and the mag ride update.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:17 PM
JimHarris4
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Go regional

The answer is to always go far above them. The dealership will deny it.
But locate the regional manager who will be surprised and hopefully get involved.
If not, go higher yet.
I sent an email to the CIO of a national repair chain about horrible service and I ended up getting all of my money back in cash at their local office.
Pitch a fit and send a letter from an attorney you know. Otherwise, these dealer slobs will think it's a perk of the job to go joyriding in any car that comes in.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Let it go guys. The op was given a logical explaination from the service manager. I don't think a polygraph is necessary and he isn't getting a new car.
The following 2 users liked this post by 383vett:
97Black (07-30-2018), iw172 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 01:21 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Let it go guys. The op was given a logical explaination from the service manager. I don't think a polygraph is necessary and he isn't getting a new car.
I wouldn't call it a "logical explanation." More so, a scripted and rehearsed explanation that every dealer will use in the event that someone caught them joyriding their car that almost sounds believable. Dealers will do and say anything to get out of liability. Just like a cop will do and say anything just to get you to implicate or incriminate yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 04:03 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by djpelosi
I wouldn't call it a "logical explanation." More so, a scripted and rehearsed explanation that every dealer will use in the event that someone caught them joyriding their car that almost sounds believable. Dealers will do and say anything to get out of liability. Just like a cop will do and say anything just to get you to implicate or incriminate yourself.
That explanation fits with what he asked for when he took it in. He asked for a state inspection (includes emissions check) in addition to the mag ride update. Dealership ran down the battery or disconnected it during the Mag Ride update. Once battery was dead or disconnected, the OBD-II monitors went to "incomplete" from the PCM being reset. The Catalyst and Evap monitors require several drive cycles to change to "completed" and pass. The emissions check that is part of the state inspection requires those monitors to be "completed" and there can be no current DTC's present. If the monitors are incomplete, or there are DTC's present, it fails inspection.

If @97Black had asked only for the mag ride upgrade, the driving would not have been necessary. If the dealership had done the inspection before applying the mag ride update, it would have worked. If they had done the job properly (with battery on charger during the update), it should have immediately passed the state inspection.

Actually, the dealer's (tech's) incompetence is partly to blame here. It should not have been necessary to drive it to get it to pass inspection. I would still be "somewhat dissatisified" with that experience, and I'd let GM know about it on the survey (if the mag ride update was covered by warranty or customer courtesy according to some TSB. But it sounds like the service manager drove it (gently we hope) to get it to pass the inspection which was requested on the repair order.

If it's possible to retrieve any logs in the thing, you could check for abuse by taking it to a differentdealership and having them check for active handling events, traction control events and other recorded evidence of abuse. I'm not sure I'd pay for the diagnostic time to get that if everything seems to be working as it should be with that explanation from the service manager. Still, I would find another dealer to service my car in the future.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 07-30-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:01 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

After I get my free oil change out of them I will be looking into other dealerships. You hope you can find another one that is better.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:57 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

After I get my free oil change out of them I will be looking into other dealerships. You hope you can find another one that is better.
Try Keller Chevrolet on Genesee st near the airport...bought my 2015 Z51 2LT from them...service was pretty good .
Old 07-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

personally I wouldn’t let them touch my car again. Skip the oil change and go somewhere else.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:23 AM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Case #2 is what happened guys. Just spoke with the service manager and he assured me he was the one that had to drive it those amount of miles on several trips to try and get the monitors cleared so it would pass the NYS inspection. He was adamant that he was not hammering the car and only drove it because of the issues brought on while updating the software. He was very apologetic about the lack of communication as he thought the service adviser was keeping me posted. Im taking him for his word that what he said is actually what happened. I love the car how it rides now. I only asked for an oil change since they left my car on empty and he agreed to that. Thanks for all the advice, especially ATLJAR.
Do you have MyChevrolet app on your phone? It has Smart Driver tab that rates every drive, you can pick the date of your service and it will show you exactly how those 80 miles were done including the route he took, hard braking, hard acceleration, fuel economy, avg speed, how long over 80mph etc.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:45 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

And a GM drive cycle can be accomplished in about 30 miles, but quite often it takes 2-3 drive cycles to get the monitors to set. So the explanation is possibly true. However I am astounded that they didn't call you to get your permission to put even the first 30 miles on the car.

http://www.obdii.com/DRIVECYCLE.HTML
Co-Vette (08-09-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:06 PM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cyi1
So glad I have valet mode... ALWAYS turn it on when dropping it off at a dealership
What he said ^^^

Won't help you now, though, and I don't think you'll get anything from them, even if they admit it (road test).

Old 08-09-2018, 10:25 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,303 Likes on 806 Posts

I'm not surprised at the dealer's explanation given what you bring back from him, simply, he should have warned you that the update requires a road test and that it may take time. I don't think he jumped 80 mid of a leap but only step by step to follow the update. These guys sell these cars every day, they know them.

Tell me about the valet mode, I have the PDR : should I put a code to use it in this mode ? I tried the valet mode but it doesn't register. Thank you

Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 AM
kcobain147
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

West Herr got too big for their own good. Owners are detached from reality, and all they care about is volume. I used to go there - now there's not enough money on the face of the planet to get me to go back. I feel sorry for you - given what I've had to put up there, their inept service team, lazy sales team - I'd honestly bet someone took it for a joy ride. Id keep complaining all the way up till you get a call from Scott Bieler...then never go back.

It's not too far - but Van Bortel Chevy in Rochester is a solid spot. IMO prices are a bit steep, but a hell of a lot more trustworthy than West Herr.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:14 PM
1cooldaddyo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cyi1
So glad I have valet mode... ALWAYS turn it on when dropping it off at a dealership
Many years ago I had a '88 Dodge Daytona Shelby. Took it into the dealer because the stereo quit. No such thing as valet mode back then, so I popped the vacume line off of the waste gate before dropping it off.
I get a phone call:
"Radio's fixed, but it won't make boost so we'll need to keep it longer."
"You got it into boost moving it around the parking lot?"
Silence
"That's what I thought. I'm on my way to pick it up."
Old 08-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cooldaddyo
Many years ago I had a '88 Dodge Daytona Shelby. Took it into the dealer because the stereo quit. No such thing as valet mode back then, so I popped the vacume line off of the waste gate before dropping it off.
I get a phone call:
"Radio's fixed, but it won't make boost so we'll need to keep it longer."
"You got it into boost moving it around the parking lot?"
Silence
"That's what I thought. I'm on my way to pick it up."
great story. I am sure the stereo fixer guy tried damn hard to get it into boost before they alerted you to the problem. I guess it was a big parking lot with lots of straightaways to put the hammer down.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 08-09-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
I'm not surprised at the dealer's explanation given what you bring back from him, simply, he should have warned you that the update requires a road test and that it may take time. I don't think he jumped 80 mid of a leap but only step by step to follow the update. These guys sell these cars every day, they know them.

Tell me about the valet mode, I have the PDR : should I put a code to use it in this mode ? I tried the valet mode but it doesn't register. Thank you
You have to put the number in twice to lock the car into Valet mode. I've made that mistake before.
BKorsaire (08-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer took my car on a joyride

Old 08-09-2018, 03:30 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,303 Likes on 806 Posts

Merci mon gars, thank guy !
Old 08-09-2018, 03:50 PM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

Attention: Brett Foote

This article has absolutely nothing to do with Macmulkin Chevrolet! Since when do you use another dealership's photo for a situation like this that doesn't even involve the dealership in the photo?

We sold the car to the customer. It was a dealership in New York that took his car for a joy ride. Not MacMulkin Chevrolet!

We did not, nor have we ever taken a customer's Corvette for a joyride!

Remove any and all photos showing the MacMulkin Chevrolet dealership out of your article.

You have 24 hours to do so before Internet Brands, Inc receives a cease and desist order from our attorney!

Corvette Sales & Incentives

Last edited by MacMulkin; 08-09-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by MacMulkin
Attention: Brett Foote

This article has absolutely nothing to do with Macmulkin Chevrolet! Since when do you use another dealership's photo for a situation like this that doesn't even involve the dealership in the photo?

We sold the car to the customer. It was a dealership in New York that took his car for a joy ride. Not MacMulkin Chevrolet!

We did not, nor have we ever taken a customer's Corvette for a joyride!

Remove any and all photos showing the MacMulkin Chevrolet dealership out of your article.

You have 24 hours to do so before Internet Brands, Inc receives a cease and desist order from our attorney!
Well, any thoughts I had of every purchasing from your dealership just went out the window...

Quick Reply: Dealer took my car on a joyride