C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How's the sound system on the Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:34 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Tough crowd.....
Old 07-30-2018, 09:08 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

I bought mine used but the previous owner did not care for the lack of bass and had a sub box installed. I now have 2 10" subs in the back. I have to say the install was great and it looks factory in there. It does take up space but I can still get a set of golf clubs and some soft sided luggage in there for a long weekend away. The sound to the sub is boosted by a controller under the dash. I can make your ears bleed with what this shop did to the sound system.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:57 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

i think the antenna may be the weak point on the car. I hate listening to sat radio, it has that compression echo to it. I leave an ipad in the car at all times, it naturally finds its way underneath the drivers seat. I get it out by slamming on the brakes. But i DL music I like and listen to it via bluetooth, works great. I find the audio is much better imo via the ipad and bluetooth. I have the 3lz with the sub in the back. I tweaked the settings a bit... i forget what i did... i think the base was too much and obnoxious/annoying since the sub isnt THAT amazing, so i think i turned it down. I moved the sound forward or backward also, i forget which way. But, the sound is good now when i crank it up, i have no complaints. Depends on what songs you listen to i guess too. If you are listening to a symphony or something, yeah... i dont know what to tell you. If you are listening to songs that you enjoy driving fast to, you're golden.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-31-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:38 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
I bought mine used but the previous owner did not care for the lack of bass and had a sub box installed. I now have 2 10" subs in the back. I have to say the install was great and it looks factory in there. It does take up space but I can still get a set of golf clubs and some soft sided luggage in there for a long weekend away. The sound to the sub is boosted by a controller under the dash. I can make your ears bleed with what this shop did to the sound system.
For me, it isn't volume that's lacking, but clarity. After going camping in the Z06 over the weekend, I don't think I'd want to give up any space in the back. Large tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses, cooler, other supplies.
Lots of megabuck RV's there. Guess what got by far the most attention?

"Dragging and dropping" some of your favorite music onto a USB memory stick, and plugging it into the port in "the secret compartment" works pretty well.and seems to be better quality than through a bluetooth connection. I think my $15 one will hold at least 20 hours of music, and every song which comes up just happens to be one that I like.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 07-31-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:16 AM
Wil Meadows
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding a solid amp and subwoofer will do wonders for sound quality. You also can switch out speakers easily and add some sound proofing to doors and floor boards. Easy upgrades that will vastly improve sound quality.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:33 AM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default vette sound system

Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix
I am planning to buy a Z06 next year. How is the sound system on it?

which brand is it and what do you think of it?

I was also considering a GT350 and from what I've read is that the sound system on it is not that good.

The Bose sound system is better than in the older vettes but still in my mind not the greatest. My BMW and Mercedes had much better ones as did my Lexus too. Vette owners buy the car for the handling, looks and performance. And it does do all of that. One of my neighbors buys ferraris every few years. His car at double the price still doesn't get the looks that mine does and I can definetly beat him in a race if we did.. The Z06 in my mind is the finest looking, best value car for the money that was ever made by GM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:45 AM
TXRR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You an idiot for buying this car for the sound system. The sound system sucks by the way
Old 07-31-2018, 09:45 AM
E Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of sound here lol
Old 07-31-2018, 09:54 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

It's actually much better compared to the C6. And it's also pretty good for a GM car. No complaints here since there is too much exhaust and road noise to have a high end system in it.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:40 AM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Several important points
1) the cabin space is small
2) the road noise is substantial
3) the exhaust note is significant
4) the Bluetooth interface seems to sample sound
5) the amp introduces sound delays to create sound stage
6) the amp processes sound to offset road/exhaust

with all of that the Bose system does a pretty good job and delivers reasonably good sound. My 2c
Old 07-31-2018, 01:55 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

The Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, Buddy Holly, etc., etc. sound just great to me.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:58 PM
Howdie
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Harmon (and Harmon Kardon) have (or did at one time) put their primary focus on accurate sound reproduction. According to one Harmon engineer I spoke with, Bose does not, but relies much more on listener feedback testing, which can have little to do with accurate sound reproduction, as far as the average listener goes. However, he did say that he'd very much like to know how Bose pulls off some of their tricks, managing to do so well with chit-accuracy sound facsimiles.
It is interesting about Bose.. They are vilified in the audiophile community (for too much processing of music), and they seem to have the same ratio of lack of respect here. I don't disagree, they do process the music. However, their current (home) wireless speakers sound pretty good and they are garnering industry respect for their current crop of noise reduction headphones (I have a pair). Somehow, they are doing something right as they continue to sell product to John and Jane Public and have done for decades. In some applications, I like (not love) their product, as is the case in my Z06.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Get on the loud pedal and you may as well turn the sound off since you can't hear it. Wide open throttle at 6400 rpm the engine drowns out everything else including the tire noise and ear buds stuck directly in your ears. You don't buy the car for its stereo and at its price point you can't find a car that has the underpinnings that come with the Corvette. The other thing is if you spend a lot of fun time listening to the engine at full song you don't have the ears left to judge whether a sound system has good quality or not. You are lucky if you know it is on.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Mikec7z (07-31-2018), Null Pointer (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 03:12 PM
jswatek
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Get on the loud pedal and you may as well turn the sound off since you can't hear it. Wide open throttle at 6400 rpm the engine drowns out everything else including the tire noise and ear buds stuck directly in your ears. You don't buy the car for its stereo and at its price point you can't find a car that has the underpinnings that come with the Corvette. The other thing is if you spend a lot of fun time listening to the engine at full song you don't have the ears left to judge whether a sound system has good quality or not. You are lucky if you know it is on.

Bill
The amount of time at wide open throttle (WFO) and 6000+ rpm is pretty small unless someone only drives on the track. The car has amazing comfort on road trips and a nice stereo is not lost in these cars. There are times, for sure, when not much can be heard other than road and engine noise, but I do wish for a nice sound system from time to time.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:36 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix
LOL, off course you don't buy these cars for the audio system but it'd be nice to have a good Audio system when looking at the price point of the car. Just saying.

I guess anything would be good for me at this point, I'm driving a 2018 Subaru WRX STI and man the audio system on this thing is utter garbage, as if you were listening to your audio through an iPad.
First thing I did on my son's 18 WRX was get rid of the stock 1 oz speakers and replace with the Kicker upgrades, front, rear, tweeters, and 12" Kicker Subwoofer enclosure. Makes a world of difference.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:54 PM
byklin
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

coming from a s550 GT i can tell you the c7z sound system is WAY better.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:05 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
The Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, Buddy Holly, etc., etc. sound just great to me.
Me too, but the recording and playback quality back in those days wasn't very good to begin with.

Originally Posted by Howdie
It is interesting about Bose.. They are vilified in the audiophile community (for too much processing of music), and they seem to have the same ratio of lack of respect here. I don't disagree, they do process the music. However, their current (home) wireless speakers sound pretty good and they are garnering industry respect for their current crop of noise reduction headphones (I have a pair). Somehow, they are doing something right as they continue to sell product to John and Jane Public and have done for decades. In some applications, I like (not love) their product, as is the case in my Z06.
I might be too picky, because I've had one foot in the music business, and the other in the mechanical engineering and structural vibrational analysis arena for decades. Some neat "psycho-acoustic" tricks can be played, and that seems to be Bose's main area of expertise. Not that this is to be taken lightly, because as I mentioned earlier, even the Harmen engineer was curious about how they pull it off.

The sound system in my wife's Subaru sounds a lot better, but there is also a lot less road and engine noise, and a good deal of trunk space is sacrificed to speakers and associated electronics. I haven't tried it, but highly doubt that we could have put as much gear into that trunk space, as we crammed into the Z06 for our camping weekend.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 07-31-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How's the sound system on the Z06?

Old 07-31-2018, 05:28 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Me too, but the recording and playback quality back in those days wasn't very good to begin with.
Yup! My hearing has gone south anyway, so the quality of the music doesn't mean that much to me. While the quality of the music back in those days was certainly lacking, the memories more than make up for it.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:07 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Yup! My hearing has gone south anyway, so the quality of the music doesn't mean that much to me. While the quality of the music back in those days was certainly lacking, the memories more than make up for it.
Agreed!

Last edited by Warp Factor; 07-31-2018 at 06:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DevilDog II (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:03 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 125 Posts

OK, I was a gigging musician for 50+ years and I’ve heard it all. Here’s the thing. If you are at the point in life where you just like a nice sounding system in your car that gives you no bragging rights and does not **** off the neighbors or every car stopped at the stop light with in 200 feet of you, this may be what you are looking for. Sounds nice when cruising and just diggin the scene.

I have have some very nice audio gear in my studio and kind of know what is good and what is not. This is not the to die for system but like some have said, it’s adequate for most. Based on some of the booming systems I’ve heard at stop lights and driving through my neighborhood at ungodly hours of the night, if that is what you seek, these are not the droids your looking for.

Quick Reply: How's the sound system on the Z06?