C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How's the sound system on the Z06?

Old 07-30-2018, 02:13 PM
Super Spartan
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How's the sound system on the Z06?

I am planning to buy a Z06 next year. How is the sound system on it?

which brand is it and what do you think of it?

I was also considering a GT350 and from what I've read is that the sound system on it is not that good.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:31 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

You don't buy these cars for the sounds system, unless that's code for "exhaust note", in which case it's great with a set of headers and x-pipe. ;-) Seriously though, I have the 3LZ and find the stereo to be just "adequate". For the average Joe though, I think the stock Bose setup will be more than good enough. My past several vehicles have all had aftermarket speakers/amps focused on SQ, so it's not fair to compare the stock Bose to my last Focal Flax setup, which was absolutely amazing. Long way of saying the stock setup is just OK and not easy to replace/upgrade. Just turn the stereo off, take the top off and put it in track mode.
The following users liked this post:
Super Spartan (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 02:54 PM
Super Spartan
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tort
You don't buy these cars for the sounds system, unless that's code for "exhaust note", in which case it's great with a set of headers and x-pipe. ;-) Seriously though, I have the 3LZ and find the stereo to be just "adequate". For the average Joe though, I think the stock Bose setup will be more than good enough. My past several vehicles have all had aftermarket speakers/amps focused on SQ, so it's not fair to compare the stock Bose to my last Focal Flax setup, which was absolutely amazing. Long way of saying the stock setup is just OK and not easy to replace/upgrade. Just turn the stereo off, take the top off and put it in track mode.
LOL, off course you don't buy these cars for the audio system but it'd be nice to have a good Audio system when looking at the price point of the car. Just saying.

I guess anything would be good for me at this point, I'm driving a 2018 Subaru WRX STI and man the audio system on this thing is utter garbage, as if you were listening to your audio through an iPad.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:03 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix
Not great, if someone is a sound snob. I'm guessing that a lot of this revolves around space limitations. I had a megabuck sound system installed in one of my prior Corvettes, and it wasn't that much of an improvement over the factory sound system. Both my wife's prior Nissan, and her current Subaru are much better, but they also don't suffer from as much road noise. Hard to adequately separate the two.

Edit: Just saw your post about your WRX. Maybe that's about road noise interfering with the sound quality too, with stiffer suspension bushings, and less sound deadening material to save weight, on a performance car. Haven't driven a WRX with the sound system on, so this is only a guess. But I'd be surprised if Subaru puts a cheaper sound system into their WRX, than in my wife's Legend, or Legacy, or Orgasmitron (or whatever the danged thing is labeled ), so I'd think much of it would be about background noise.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 07-30-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:06 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Don't have a Z06, but my stingray does have the bose system with subwoofer. (I think they are the same systems, but if not my opinion doesn't matter. Like some random dude on the internet has all the answers anyway).

IMO the Bose system is lacking, especially in comparison to the Harmon system in my mercedes. It's not even close, the clarity and control are just not there. However; Like mentioned above, you're not buying the car for the stereo system.

Last edited by HooosierDaddy; 07-30-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Howdie
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion differs from the others. I actually think it is pretty good, and compares well to other stock systems. I like it and won't be upgrading it.
I am a little bit of an audio snob, not much, but I do pay more for home audio products to get better sound, if that matters. It is so subjective though. I think the road noise is the bigger issue, it is not a luxury sedan for sure.... Any other background noise kills detail and that might be the problem.
The following 3 users liked this post by Howdie:
ajrothm (08-02-2018), Super Spartan (07-30-2018), Vegas1500 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:34 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

I give it a solid MEH.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I was also considering a GT350 and from what I've read is that the sound system on it is not that good.
I would say go to the dealer and sit in one and listen. Of course the sound degrades with the car running and moving depending on the road surface. Which can be so loud no stereo made would sound good. Or the interior noise can be not bad really depends on the road surface. I would say it is not bad. Not critical listening quality like you may have at home. Love JL Audio raw sub drivers great for huge bass at home.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:06 PM
ChrisG23
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You may as well be asking the towing capacity.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:06 PM
Super Spartan
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Not great, if someone is a sound snob. I'm guessing that a lot of this revolves around space limitations. I had a megabuck sound system installed in one of my prior Corvettes, and it wasn't that much of an improvement over the factory sound system. Both my wife's prior Nissan, and her current Subaru are much better, but they also don't suffer from as much road noise. Hard to adequately separate the two.

Edit: Just saw your post about your WRX. Maybe that's about road noise interfering with the sound quality too, with stiffer suspension bushings, and less sound deadening material to save weight, on a performance car. Haven't driven a WRX with the sound system on, so this is only a guess. But I'd be surprised if Subaru puts a cheaper sound system into their WRX, than in my wife's Legend, or Legacy, or Orgasmitron (or whatever the danged thing is labeled ), so I'd think much of it would be about background noise.
Well my WRX STI did not come with the Harman/Kardon sound system maybe that's why I'm very disappointed with it
Old 07-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Krazy
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I would say go to the dealer and sit in one and listen.

Love JL Audio raw sub drivers great for huge bass at home.
This and this.

I have the Bose system and It's definitely above average. It;'s not going to wow you, but it doesn't sound like garbage either- more than adequate considering it's the "secondary sound system on a C7.

If you want bass then JL does make a stealth box for the C7. Haven't heard them but I've been a big fan of JL subs for more than a couple decades now:

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-ste...rolet-corvette
The following 2 users liked this post by Krazy:
MP&RPZ06 (08-01-2018), Super Spartan (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 04:25 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy

IMO the Bose system is lacking, especially in comparison to the Harmon system in my mercedes. It's not even close, the clarity and control are just not there. However; Like mentioned above, you're not buying the car for the stereo system.
Harmon (and Harmon Kardon) have (or did at one time) put their primary focus on accurate sound reproduction. According to one Harmon engineer I spoke with, Bose does not, but relies much more on listener feedback testing, which can have little to do with accurate sound reproduction, as far as the average listener goes. However, he did say that he'd very much like to know how Bose pulls off some of their tricks, managing to do so well with chit-accuracy sound facsimiles.

HooosierDaddy (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 04:36 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Instead of asking people on this forum, who all have different hearing abilities,why not just go to a dealer and listen for yourself?

Last edited by ronsc1985; 07-30-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:18 PM
Super Spartan
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Instead of asking people on this forum, who all have different hearing abilities,why not just go to a dealer and listen for yourself?
I'm gonna buy the car anyway and not making the audio system sway me away from my decision as I think this is the best looking car (looks like a super car) and the power is exhilarating from when I sat in the seat with my friend 2 years ago who had a Z06 but just wanted to get some feedback here.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:24 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Given the amount of road noise, especially from the rear tires which are about 6" behind your head, I wouldn't waste money on upgrading the stock Z06 system. You'll lose most of the clarity and nuance gained by upgrading as it will be drowned out by exhaust note and tire noise.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:51 PM
TeamG
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Huh??

j/k. Bose. It gets the job done, tunes-wise..
Old 07-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Mine is plenty good enough for me. I'm not that hard tp please in the sound system arena.

Get notified of new replies

To How's the sound system on the Z06?

Old 07-30-2018, 07:27 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

It has a standard Bose system (aka, CRAP).
Ordinarily, this wouldn't be much of an issue.
Unfortunately, the big problem is there isn't any cost-effective way to upgrade to an aftermarket system.
And, hell, forget about a disk player...there isn't any place in the car to put one.

FWIW, if great sound is important to you in a new Corvette, you might want to check out the new Corvette mid-engine coming out next year.
It will probably have a cheap-*** standard system too, but the interior may allow a way for an aftermarket solution.

Last edited by sunsalem; 07-30-2018 at 07:28 PM.
rsvette12 (08-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:56 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree
Old 07-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,182 Likes on 2,132 Posts

The sound system is actually pretty decent. Honestly the system they put in the chargers (scatpacks and hellcats) sound amazing though.

I, too have a 2018 wrx and the sound system is TRASH. That was the number 1 complaint about the car. In fact it was so bad, people hated the sound system more than the annoying rev hang subaru put into the stock tune. (can be eliminated with an accessport btw which i have done lol).

But yes the sound in the Z is pretty good. I listen to a lot of hip hop, yes i'm one of those Z owners , and i bump it whenever i can and it sounds good.

After i got rid of my crappy PSS tires to continental, i can hear the music even better. The tire noise is essentially gone, which makes listening to music and taking phone calls MUCH MUCH better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How's the sound system on the Z06?