C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New ZR1 went the wrong way!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:52 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
Warp hit the nail on the head. I have a feeling and it is only that, but as an overall package the ZR1 shines. Just like all other Corvettes, the ZR1 was not designed or built to be a drag/straight line car. The Dodge Demon was. I have not heard a Demon owner talk skid pad numbers or breaking distances at all. Why would they, the car is not built to corner in excess of 1.2g. Corvettes have and will continue to excel on road courses. GM realized the cooling limitations and worked to improve them on the ZR1. Which by reports they were successful. I have no data to support this but I bet the SC on the ZR1 makes it HP more efficiently compared to the 2300 or my overspun factory blower. Making comparisons between a modded car and a factory one is worthless as the unmodified one has built in limitations from the manufacturer and gov't. So saying your 2300 with and intake, headers, etc is better than a ZR1 is silly as you add headers and a CAI to the ZR1 and you will be way behind in HP and performance.
Performance comes in many shapes and forms and the ZR1 took it up a level. While 3Z looks at drag and straight line performance, multiple hard laps on a road course would put the stock Z06 at a disadvantage. Some on the forum look at one "fact" and run with it all the way instead of looking at the whole package.
The stock ZR1 bests the stock Z in almost all categories except price.
The ZR1 is not the car you want if your planning to add any mods since it is not tuneable. Is front heavy and it costs more. The Z06 with the cost savings is the clear winner since it tunable and it is more easy to mod
and has weight savings. You can add the 2.9 to the Z06 make more power than the non-tuneble Lt5

Who keeps their Corvette stock anyways! That is weak argument!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-30-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:01 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,142 Posts

Not sure why i entered this thread given i have the OP on ignore.

But i KNEW i would get a laugh because his logic and reasoning is in the god damn basement LOL. Everyone hit the nail on the head, OP is so insecure about his car, he had to get what? 2 or 3 z06's? He could have bought a ZR1 and be a part of greatness, not knock it down by buying an inferior model to it. Notice i said inferior model to IT, meaning the ZR1, not inferior in general.

The Z06 is a beast in it's own right. But the ZR1 is better in every way you wanna slice it. Yes you can buy a z06 for cheaper and maybe be "mod" friendly, but at the sacrifice of warranty and perhaps longevity and reliability? Not everyone is going to buy a z06 to modify it to make it better. This isn't a youtube series with a bunch of 20 year old kids spending mommy and daddy's millions of dollars.

And didn't GM say the ZR1 makes 755hp on a 100 degree day?

So that means in cooler weather it's easily making 800+.

Now if that's not a beast of a car, with a warranty, then i don't know what is.

And i would kill to get a ZR1 front bumper onto my Z. It looks incredible.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:14 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
This comes across as a bitter post and it sounds no better than what most GS Owners say about the Z06. Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that your current Corvette is no longer considered to be the top model.
the title of the post should be “the c7 z06 went the wrong way”. The platform is better suited for a big 2 door luxury car then a sports car.

It will be fixed with the c8- all be it mid engine. But it will have a high revving na motor and it will be light with a dual clutch auto. The c7 will go Down in history to the likes of the end of the c3 platform 1973 to 1980. Big and breathless
Old 07-30-2018, 08:25 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

In 2017 there were almost 32,800 Vettes made only about 7200 were Zs. I would bet dollars to donuts over half are stock with respect to the power train. I have not kept any of mine stock but the Corvette clubs I have been associated with most owners have stock cars. Lots of “show mods” not many “go mods”.
Being able to tune a ZR1 is just a matter of time. There are some brilliant tuners out there and they will figure out a way to make the ZR1 faster

Last edited by AZGASSER; 07-30-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:29 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

We're done here....bickering, arguing, etc.....

OP, you've expressed your point about the ZR1 and the Z06 in more than one thread. Let's move on-this argument is getting boring. Besides, you're posting about the ZR1 in the Z06 section.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-30-2018 at 08:30 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
AZGASSER (07-30-2018), davepl (07-31-2018), Earl H (07-31-2018), JHEBERT (08-01-2018), Mike Jesse (07-30-2018), Null Pointer (07-30-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: New ZR1 went the wrong way!