C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7Z meth

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 06:08 PM
OilfieldVette
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C7Z meth

Quick answer. Do i need to tune my Z after installing math injection?
Old 07-31-2018, 12:48 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

only if it did not pass algebra class
The following 5 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
CorvetteBrent (08-02-2018), Mike.D (08-07-2018), SoCalFinest (08-06-2018), timmyZ06 (08-05-2018), YLLWC6 (08-02-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:50 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

no, you dont have to tune it... i wouldnt go crazy with how much is injected, i would only have it inject at above 4 or 6psi if the car goes to 11. If the car goes to 8, then i would have it come on at 3 or 4psi.

Its just there to prevent knock, which it will/should do. Get a device to log knock in the engine... if the engine knocks BEFORE the meth is on, at 2psi etc, then have the meth come on sooner, until you see no more knock.

Some other guys on here may know the exact boost psi where you want it to activate at. The meth controller can be tuned, and should be if it can be... have it ramp up as more boost is detected, etc. If you can ramp it up from zero flow, then you can have it come on sooner at a lower boost level. It does not hurt anything to have it come on early, only will consume your meth and cost you money... so finding the perfect balance is the goal

Update: I should have mentioned early on to make sure you are running a thin ratio vs the water, like 20/80, and when you tune the meth control box, to have a wideband 02 sensor in the header or exhaust if possible to get it dialed in well.

So, NO TUNE, is not the accurate statement... no tune to the stock ecu, and tune the meth box with a wideband 02 sensor, is my advice. I can see why others countered me, and I apologize.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-01-2018 at 08:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (08-02-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:30 AM
musclesbmf
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Depends if you want to take full advantage of it. Not sure why you would install it unless you're doing other mods as well so that you need the extra fuel supply. I did it cause i converted to E85 and more boost. Methanol is high octane and with that you can get pretty aggressive with the timing. But to each their own.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:00 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i don't think he wants to tune his car, he wants to keep the warranty probably, and since stock cars see knock and pull timing when IAT's are too hot and detonation occurs, he is preventing that from happening, keeping his car at 650hp instead of allowing the car to enter into a reduced timing and closed TB blade situation where its making in the 500's or below instead.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-31-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:40 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by OilfieldVette
Quick answer. Do i need to tune my Z after installing math injection?
Are you running meth on a stock motor or do you have other mods to go along with it? If meth is the only "mod", then you don't "need" a tune if you have it spraying correctly. If you have several other mods in addition to meth, you really should tune it....for safety and maximizing gains.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tort:
CorvetteBrent (08-02-2018), Mikec7z (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 01:15 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Most guys add some mods like pullies then after the NEED is shown with high ITA's then they add the meth kit. To add it first with no need seems it might be a waste or might not help at all.
I wouldn't think even about it drive your car if it is not enough power do a Halltech intake before you think about the meth kit!
Old 07-31-2018, 02:36 PM
avtarv
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 68 Posts

Yes you need to tune it-its fuel.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:34 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by avtarv
Yes you need to tune it-its fuel.
this is not a fully accurate statement.

first and foremost, if it is fuel, it might make his car run a little rich... not the end of the world like running lean... but lets look at what the meth actually does...

it is more than fuel, what it is, is an octane booster essentially, and a cooling agent, neither of those require a tune.

The main reason meth cars, are able to make more power before they run out of fuel, vs another car without meth apples to apples in all other areas, is because the other car is experiencing pre-detonation sooner in its boost levels, and thus, it cant carry the same timing as the meth car can. So yes, meth will get people to higher HP numbers, but not just because it is a "fuel", its because of its other characteristics as well.

The car... meanwhile, is already making deliberate choices to RUN RICH on gasoline alone, when it experiences engine knock and sees certain IAT2 tempts, etc...

the meth chills the car out, so that those choices are not made to run rich using the gasoline.

im going to go out on a limb and say the car will run more rich WITHOUT meth, than it will WITH meth, if the meth is brought on in the correct dosage.... and prevents knock, from the gasoline only situation, where the car would choose to run rich using gasoline alone, after it detects the detonation etc.

Do i recommend his meth control box is tuned on a Dyno with a wideband 02 sensor in the exhaust to monitor the situation and make sure that things are in safe parameters? yes. But does the car's stock ecu need to be tuned? absolutely not. Will the meth control be able to be tuned to keep the car in safe parameters? yes... the car will be safer after the meth is added, than before it was, hands down, no question.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-31-2018 at 03:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
CorvetteBrent (08-02-2018), SoCalFinest (08-06-2018), timmyZ06 (08-05-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 03:47 PM
jlbjr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Who's done water/ Meth injection? and where did you mount the nozzle? After MAF in the intake tube? Thinking of this just to keep the intake cooler. What brand and controller? Boost or MAF? Thanks
Old 07-31-2018, 03:51 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

after the maf. A simple setup would be 2 nozzles in the intake pipe after the maf.

A more elaborate expensive setup would be a port injection nozzle just above the cooling bricks or just below the cooling bricks, at each cylinder intake runner.

I dont know which units are the best these days, just make sure it is tunable and can be ramped up gradually, and you are golden.

i have had it on many cars over the years, but not my current stock z. I would add it, but this car is about to be sold. It will be on my next car most likely

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-31-2018 at 09:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
CorvetteBrent (08-02-2018), timmyZ06 (08-07-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 03:56 PM
avtarv
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
this is not a fully accurate statement.

first and foremost, if it is fuel, it might make his car run a little rich... not the end of the world like running lean... but lets look at what the meth actually does...

it is more than fuel, what it is, is an octane booster essentially, and a cooling agent, neither of those require a tune.

The main reason meth cars, are able to make more power before they run out of fuel, vs another car without meth apples to apples in all other areas, is because the other car is experiencing pre-detonation sooner in its boost levels, and thus, it cant carry the same timing as the meth car can. So yes, meth will get people to higher HP numbers, but not just because it is a "fuel", its because of its other characteristics as well.

The car... meanwhile, is already making deliberate choices to RUN RICH on gasoline alone, when it experiences engine knock and sees certain IAT2 tempts, etc...

the meth chills the car out, so that those choices are not made to run rich using the gasoline.

im going to go out on a limb and say the car will run more rich WITHOUT meth, than it will WITH meth, if the meth is brought on in the correct dosage.... and prevents knock, from the gasoline only situation, where the car would choose to run rich using gasoline alone, after it detects the detonation etc.

Do i recommend his meth control box is tuned on a Dyno with a wideband 02 sensor in the exhaust to monitor the situation and make sure that things are in safe parameters? yes. But does the car's stock ecu need to be tuned? absolutely not. Will the meth control be able to be tuned to keep the car in safe parameters? yes... the car will be safer after the meth is added, than before it was, hands down, no question.
If your going to spray meth to not require a tune then essentially your going to spray so little-say smaller than 5gph nozzle to not do anything-no octane, no cooling but it will still change the AFR and make it fatter-especially when the factory tune kicks in COTS. When meth hits the rotors it will essentially just evaporate.

ajrothm (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:02 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

what happens if i sprayed straight water?

is that fuel?

do most people spray 100% pure meth?

Have you ever done what I am speaking of on a stock Z that pulls timing and TB blade to take the car from 650 down into the 500's?

do you know what it takes to make the car NOT do this? Temperature alone prevents the car from doing this. Yes water evaporating ALONE lowers temperature.

There are ways this can be done... and i would recommend anyone who does this not run over 40% meth... if it richens it too much, then run 20% meth and 80% water... or even a thinner ratio... but will it benefit the car once that ratio and ramp up rate is found?...

YES.

There will be a ratio of water and meth that help the stock vehicle avoid knock and stay at or near full power, when it would have been in the 500's or below otherwise. Hell, it probably keeps a car from limp mode if the engine overheating is a person's problem, it keeps the entire system cooler, which it does... as timing pulled actually makes the system HOTTER.

Does the car have to be tuned? NO

is telling someone they have to tune it... scaring them away from doing the procedure since they want to maintain their stock warranty obviously, is this poor advice?... yes... it is poor advice. That is why im countering you right now... otherwise i would let it go.

you are giving people incorrect advice, and dealing in extremes and absolutes, in attempt to prove you are right...

Can meth be bad for a stock tune... SURE. But does it have to be if done correctly... NO... it is beneficial.

That is reality, if you disagree, i encourage you and others to test what im saying

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-01-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:43 PM
Tort
Racer

Originally Posted by jlbjr
Who's done water/ Meth injection? and where did you mount the nozzle? After MAF in the intake tube? Thinking of this just to keep the intake cooler. What brand and controller? Boost or MAF? Thanks
I'm running the Snow Performance setup with their Boost Juice (51/49 water/meth). What's great with this setup is that you have a lifetime warranty through them if you use their Boost Juice, which is good stuff anyway. Nozzle is mounted roughly 6" after the MAF....on my AFE intake tube at least. Mine is also set to spray incrementally starting about 2lbs and then ramps up to full spray beyond 9lbs. I use the windshield washer bottle as the container for the many benefits and added a small light in the dash to show when it's spraying.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tort:
Mikec7z (07-31-2018), The Yav (08-05-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 05:06 PM
jlbjr
Instructor

Tort, so that’s the stage 2 system right? 1 nozzle, what size? I assume you don’t use your wipers then? Thanks

Last edited by jlbjr; 07-31-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:16 PM
Tort
Racer

Originally Posted by jlbjr
Tort, so that’s the stage 2 system right? 1 nozzle, what size? I assume you don’t use your wipers then? Thanks
Correct, stage 2/single nozzle. I don't know the size off the top of my head but per the tuner, their single nozzle setup is supposed to be good for up to 750-800whp. The beauty of using this setup is that I can still use the washer fluid for the wipers if I really needed to. Water/meth is a pretty good bug remover.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:25 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

If your going to spray meth to not require a tune then essentially your going to spray so little-say smaller than 5gph nozzle to not do anything-no octane, no cooling but it will still change the AFR and make it fatter-especially when the factory tune kicks in COTS. When meth hits the rotors it will essentially just evaporate.
Isn't evaporation precisely what causes the cooling?

Why would Cat Overheat Protection kick in anyway, since the meth produces lower exhaust gas temperatures, and the richer mixture would already be mimicking the cat overheat protection mode?
Mikec7z (07-31-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C7Z meth

Old 07-31-2018, 06:25 PM
jlbjr
Instructor

Tort, you just T into your wiper hose then? Where’s the pump mount?
Old 08-01-2018, 03:37 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Why bring informed facts to the discussion when guesses are easier to make!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:53 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tort
I'm running the Snow Performance setup with their Boost Juice (51/49 water/meth). What's great with this setup is that you have a lifetime warranty through them if you use their Boost Juice, which is good stuff anyway. Nozzle is mounted roughly 6" after the MAF....on my AFE intake tube at least. Mine is also set to spray incrementally starting about 2lbs and then ramps up to full spray beyond 9lbs. I use the windshield washer bottle as the container for the many benefits and added a small light in the dash to show when it's spraying.
Did you just add the meth kit to the car with no tuning work?
Here is some advice!
http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...injection.html
http://advancedperformancetuning.blo...anol-fuel.html

I would trust other sources for real facts other than this thread before I added a meth kit untuned!

/

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 08-01-2018 at 04:23 AM.

Quick Reply: C7Z meth