C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 wheels no good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:34 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I don’t know how true this info is, but a friend with a ‘16 Grand Sport experienced cracked chromes and claims his wheels were made in Italy, and were not as good as the wheels made in China.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

ive heard the opposite, that the italy wheels were the best, and the china and mexico ones are bad. But then again, that might pertain more to the c5 z06 wheels, and there is a reason chevy abandoned italian production. Who knows.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 09-11-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:36 AM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

2015 Z06 3LZ stage 1. I just ordered the 2 left side wheels today after a hitting a pothole on Indianapolis highway I-465 2 weeks ago in touring mode. Last year a pothole in a parking lot gouged the rim lip on the right rear and that was replaced under the wheel warranty that was purchased with the car since 'it leaked air' as they stated made it an undisputed claim. Had a 2011 ZR1 and replaced 2 left side wheels after hitting raised pavement ridge in Michigan on highway 23.

The wheels are delicate for those of us living in states that have crappy highways. Granted, each time I ended up with bent wheels, the bumps experienced would probably have bent most any non-truck or non-steel wheel IMO. Lightweight wheels have pros and cons. I wish H2 Hummers could perform like a Vette; then I wouldn't have to worry about bent wheels!

Last edited by ZeeOh6Nut; 09-12-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 AM
2FAST4U
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee Venom
Im getting my new baby soon, Z06/Z07. Living in Massachusetts and seeing some issues people are having with these wheels is starting to make me a little nervous. I mean do they really get bent that easy? We all know here in New England we have shitty roads. I will be driving mostly on Sport mode I think. Thanks in advance
You may end up driving more in touring mode unless you like the loud sound and dirty exhaust pipes all the time. I like Touring mode because it gets loud when you step on it anyway and very quite if you are just cruising.

Also, z07 actually slows you down on the road. I have stage III aero on my 3LZ, but I like the looks.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:45 AM
2FAST4U
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I have a 2019 Z06 with the stock chrome wheels. The roads here in many areas are rough and I have inadvertently hit some deep jarring potholes. But no bent wheels or any other issues. In tour or sport mode you should be fine, track mode is another story and should be avoided on the street. You do read about owners having problems with bent rims on this forum but I believe it is more the exception than the rule..

i have ave has a C7 Z51 and Z06, and even used reproductions on Z51 as second set. Never had a single problem with wheels. My suspicion is this, if you hit a pot hole on the road and it damages your stock wheels, it would’ve also damaged your expensive aftermarket wheels. The hype is to generate fear to sell wheels. If you like after market wheels buy them but don’t do it because you read someone hit a tree and bent their stock wheels.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:46 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

After reading all these horror stories I've decided to buy new wheels before I run into a problem with my OEM wheels. So they'll be for sale soon lol
Old 09-17-2018, 06:34 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
After reading all these horror stories I've decided to buy new wheels before I run into a problem with my OEM wheels. So they'll be for sale soon lol
Smart move, Rob. I assume you're going to get some decent quality forged ones, not cast like the OEM's. Don't buy anything for less than 3500 bucks; they're no better than the cast OEM's. There are plenty of excellent forged vendors like Signature on the vendor list. The earlier poster with the Z51 has a point about the pothole problem but many of us have gone through this routine without hitting any potholes. The advice to use Tour is good advice for the street. You can control the steering response and the exhaust through the driving mode settings on the screen so you can have any variation of the steering and loud exhaust all the time without the stiffer suspension of the Sport and Track settings. This is especially true if you're running the stock Michelin run-flats as they transmit the road shock directly to the wheels and help cause the cracks and bends. If you go to non run-flats like Continentals, they are much easier on the wheels but you really need to carry a 12vdc compressor and Slime patch kit for an emergency. Both are available on Amazon for very reasonable money. Enjoy your ZO6, it's a blast!

Last edited by tertiumquid; 09-17-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: content addition
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
Smart move, Rob. The earlier poster with the Z51 has a point about the pothole problem but many of us have gone through this routine without hitting any potholes. The advice to use Tour is good advice for the street. You can control the steering response and the exhaust through the driving mode settings on the screen so you can have light steering and loud exhaust all the time without the stiffer suspension of the Sport and Track settings. This is especially true if you're running the stock Michelin run-flats as they transmit the road shock directly to the wheels and help cause the cracks and bends. If you go to non run-flats like Continentals, they are much easier on the wheels but you really need to carry a 12vdc compressor and Slime patch kit for an emergency. Both are available on Amazon for very reasonable money. Enjoy your ZO6, it's a blast!
Great minds think alike, especially with our liking to the conti's

I always keep a small air compressor with a tire plug kit in all my cars throughout the years. I don't really do far trips but i think it's good practice keeping those around.

I don't like keeping my car in tour because it's too bouncy. It floats. I only turn it to tour when i know a bad stretch of road is ahead and there's no way to avoid it. I do a lot of highway driving in the Z anyway so city potholes not to concerned about. I don't have an issue thank god but i hope i get my new wheels in time before the inevitable might happen lol
Old 09-17-2018, 06:58 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Great minds think alike, especially with our liking to the conti's

I always keep a small air compressor with a tire plug kit in all my cars throughout the years. I don't really do far trips but i think it's good practice keeping those around.

I don't like keeping my car in tour because it's too bouncy. It floats. I only turn it to tour when i know a bad stretch of road is ahead and there's no way to avoid it. I do a lot of highway driving in the Z anyway so city potholes not to concerned about. I don't have an issue thank god but i hope i get my new wheels in time before the inevitable might happen lol
Whatever works for you, Bro, I don't mind the Tour ride but that's just me.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:36 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

The '19's have updated MSRC programming - partly for handling improvements and I suspect partly to help with the wheel situation. I just got delivery of my '19Z yesterday, and I must say that the satin redline wheels look outstanding to me - more than I expected. I am still leaning going towards a set of forged monoblock 18s and 19s with non runflat high performance tires to both substantial reduce unsprung weight, increase wheel integrity, and improve handling/traction.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Whatever works for you, Bro, I don't mind the Tour ride but that's just me.
Sport mode with the crappy PSS tires was terrible. It became worse as i piled on the miles.

After i switched to the awesome conti's, sport mode is MUCH better. That there really isn't a need to go into touring unless like i said there's a really bad stretch of road ahead.

I probably will be getting the DSC controller over the winter so the ride will only get better.
tertiumquid (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Sport mode with the crappy PSS tires was terrible. It became worse as i piled on the miles.

After i switched to the awesome conti's, sport mode is MUCH better. That there really isn't a need to go into touring unless like i said there's a really bad stretch of road ahead.

I probably will be getting the DSC controller over the winter so the ride will only get better.
Hmmm... I haven't tried sport since I got the new wheels and Conti's on but the Conti's have made a definite difference in ride and handling. I'm thinking I'll get the MRC update done while I take the car back into the dealer to address the TC shudder problem.
Z0HS1CK (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Hmmm... I haven't tried sport since I got the new wheels and Conti's on but the Conti's have made a definite difference in ride and handling. I'm thinking I'll get the MRC update done while I take the car back into the dealer to address the TC shudder problem.
Yeah i really can't wait to get my new wheels. Not only will i reduce the risk of having bent wheels, but i also get a chance at improving the offsets.

Idk what GM was thinking with their WEAK offsets from factory.

What offsets are your wheels btw?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:49 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Yeah i really can't wait to get my new wheels. Not only will i reduce the risk of having bent wheels, but i also get a chance at improving the offsets.

Idk what GM was thinking with their WEAK offsets from factory.

What offsets are your wheels btw?
Fronts are 19x10.5 et35 and rears are 20x12.5 et50 from Signature. This is what Khoa commented "I can cut the same as stock offsets. Just won’t be as deep concave. My custom offsets are very flush with the fenders without any rubbing issues". I went with his recommendations and they look great on the car

Old 09-18-2018, 12:20 AM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

Is anyone running the 10 spoke blade wheels? Are they less susceptible to being damaged than the ZO6 wheels with the split spokes? These look somewhat similar to the wheels that come on the GS. I seem to recall the GS Cup type wheels have fewer issues with bending.

Last edited by GS583; 09-18-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 wheels no good?