C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Initial impressions of the DSC Sport controller not quite what I expected, yet.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 07:28 PM
edster75
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Initial impressions of the DSC Sport controller not quite what I expected, yet.

Hello,

I just installed a DSC Sport controller on my 2016 Corvette Z06 A8. The install was very easy like noted on the forum. My initial impressions on the street (on the way to the track) was the car had a much better ride. When I got onto the track the car seemed loose and the rear end would easily slide out. It was a controllable slide out but it was still not helping my confidence level with the car. I've been to the track twice before this year and didn't experience this. At first I thought the tires were cold, but after a couple slow laps not much changed. I did feel like the braking was more controlled, but I also installed a set of carbotech pads front and rear and I bled the brakes with Castrol SRF. So it's hard to tell if it was the pads or the controller.

I do a little street driving but mostly want the car for track use. I'm a novice at the track, but have driven many fast vehicles over the years, including 160rwhp sportbikes.

I have the stock calibration file as supplied in the DSC controller. I also downloaded the most current version from the website and compaired it to the file that was in the controller. As far as I could tell they were the same. The car is basically stock with a few mods. The tires are the stock MPSS. I set zeroed out the travel sensors.

This is a video of my last session at the Autobahn CC before the suspension controller. Warning I'm a novice and track rats might get bored watching the vids. : )

This is a video of the only session at the Autobahn CC south track with the DSC sport.

The weather was similar for both events. You can really see the difference on the right hand corner, after the long back straight, that leads directly into a left hand turn. I'm applying a little throttle to balance out the car. In the first video there is no tire spin or sliding out, but in the second video with the same throttle the rear is sliding out.

Any ideas? Is it possible that the stock alignment is the problem? It seemed fine before the controller with no abnormal tire wear. I do plan to get the DSC recommended alignment before the next track day, which is about a month away. I'm not sure which alignment to go with. The street/track or the track/street with increased camber. I don't think I'll go with the full track alignment.

Thoughts???
Old 08-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

Sounds like you have an alignment issue. The first thing I had done was DSC's Street/Track alignment before I installed the DSC controller. Check out their Youtube channel and video on the C7 Controller.
The following 2 users liked this post by Checkmate1:
edster75 (08-10-2018), Mikec7z (08-14-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Is there a specific place in that video that is a good example? I didn't watch all of it but I agree that if you haven't had a quality alignment done I would do that first.

Watching that video I kept cringing waiting for that storm to start!
The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
edster75 (08-10-2018), Mikec7z (08-14-2018), Z0HS1CK (08-12-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:27 PM
edster75
Racer

In the second video at 11:21 is the corner I mentioned. I opened the throttle a little to balance the car, and the rear got loose. That corner is the best example. The second video is the south track. The first video is both north and south tracks together.

I plan to have the alignment checked soon, but I'm having a hard time believing that's the problem. The car handled fine with the same alignment and the stock suspension controller.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 AM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

You'll be very surprised at what the alignment will do... especially the rear caster.
The following 2 users liked this post by NTMD8R:
Old 08-10-2018, 11:48 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

1: DSC Track or Street/Track alignment. Make sure rear caster gets done!!!

2: Install DSC controller

3: Track mode; Sport 1 (as a newbie); Dport 2 or Race if experienced.

4: Destroy 98.8% of all other cars at your local HPDE

Bish

Last edited by thebishman; 08-10-2018 at 11:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
Old 08-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by edster75
In the second video at 11:21 is the corner I mentioned. I opened the throttle a little to balance the car, and the rear got loose. That corner is the best example. The second video is the south track. The first video is both north and south tracks together.

I plan to have the alignment checked soon, but I'm having a hard time believing that's the problem. The car handled fine with the same alignment and the stock suspension controller.
It's really hard to tell without data but it looks like you had 99 deg of steering input and went to 40% throttle which seems kind of aggressive to me. Yes, an alignment will definitey help because if your caster is off the car can transition to more toe out under compression which would cause it to get loose under acceleration.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:46 AM
edster75
Racer

I was playing with it a little bit by then. Basically every lap the rear was loose, especially in that corner. I didn't have a problem the previous track day, and I ran 5 sessions on the full track.

It's hard to believe that the alignment would cause this. If the alignment was that bad wouldn't it be a problem with the stock controller?

If I don't get the alignment checked before the next track day I plan to swap the stock controller back in.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by edster75
I was playing with it a little bit by then. Basically every lap the rear was loose, especially in that corner. I didn't have a problem the previous track day, and I ran 5 sessions on the full track.

It's hard to believe that the alignment would cause this. If the alignment was that bad wouldn't it be a problem with the stock controller?

If I don't get the alignment checked before the next track day I plan to swap the stock controller back in.
You need to get the alignment checked before you head back to the track. The problem could be something about the alignment changed since the last time you were at the track. You may have the same problem with the stock controller and then you are at the track and having a miserable time.

Now for my tale. Last year a forum member loaned me a brand new DSC controller and due to being in a hurry to get it installed and the car to the track I ran the car with the as delivered DSC setup. I already had the track alignment and rear caster set as DSC recommended and ran the car that way at a couple of events before I installed the DSC controller. After the controller was installed I literally noticed no difference in handling between it and the stock settings of my 15 Z06/Z07. I am not saying the DSC may help if I had time to work with it but it was literally get the thing from the shipper, unpack the box, pull out the stock unit, throw in the DSC, back the car out of the garage, load it on the trailer and leave. Probably not a valid comparison test since there was no time to set it up.

Based on my experience I don't think just installing the DSC unit in your car was the cause of your loose handling issue.

Bill
Old 08-12-2018, 07:52 PM
edster75
Racer

What else could be the cause? I drove 5 sessions with no issues. Drove 10mi back to my shop from the track. Put the car on the lift. Changed the brake pads, flushed stock brake fluid with Castrol srf. I used a vacuum bleeder to catch the fluid, but bleed the brakes the old school way with a helper pushing the brake pedal. The vac bleeder catches all the fluid, there were no spills. Put wheels back on and checked the tire pressure which was fine. Installed DSC Sport controller. Took the car for a quick ride to settle the suspension, and zeroed out the travel sensors. It was about a week and a half between track sessions and I didn't drive the car except for the quick ride to settle the suspension and back and forth to the track.

The only other thing I can think of is the tires went away. But the car only has 2800 miles on it. The tires are the stock mpss with 2800 miles and 3 track days. The first I had 3 sessions, the second 5 sessions, then the last day where the car was loose 1 session. The tires physically look fine. When the car was on the lift I checked for any abnormal wear from the trackday with 5 sessions.

I could tell the difference after installing the controller. The car absorbs bumps much better, and the braking felt more controlled. But it also felt a little nervous on the track, I think it stems from the suspension constantly changing. I'm used to the track setting being consistent. Now its soft until some g force is developed then it firms up. Its probably something I have to get used to.

All the reviews on the forum of the DSC Controller say it's a game changer, totally transforming the car, and must have mod. I expected a little more. Especially when most people say there is no reason to change the stock calibration in the controller.

I'm not giving up on the controller yet. I'll get the alignment and try it again. I am hoping not to have to endlessly tune/experiment with the controller though.

Last edited by edster75; 08-12-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Initial impressions of the DSC Sport controller not quite what I expected, yet.

Quick Reply: Initial impressions of the DSC Sport controller not quite what I expected, yet.